Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

muscles like this! posted:

A fun thing with Avenue 5 is when they show just how much of a shithole future Earth is.

I absolutely had to laugh at the future White House in Buffalo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone who honestly believes Weinstein will get anything close to an actual punishment is kidding themselves. It’s not cynicism if there’s an established pattern of this poo poo constantly happening.

He seems to have mobility problems, so there’s a chance like with Cosby that he’ll be maimed or killed by poor medical care.

Sekhmnet
Jan 22, 2019

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Anyone who honestly believes Weinstein will get anything close to an actual punishment is kidding themselves. It’s not cynicism if there’s an established pattern of this poo poo constantly happening.

He's facing a mandatory minimum of 5 years, plus he still has charges to face in California.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
But he absolutely will be comfortable in prison, compared to literally everyone who happened to have an ounce of weed on them once

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

He seems to have mobility problems, so there’s a chance like with Cosby that he’ll be maimed or killed by poor medical care.
LOL.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1232064654102405120

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Wow, we found them, the one person who actually believed the walker was anything other than a weird sympathy ploy. Even before he was miraculously cured after the conviction I didn't think a single person bought that.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He wasn't even using the crutches correctly. You don't slide it forward like a shopping cart like he did.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Deleted tweet, what was it?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Medullah posted:

Deleted tweet, what was it?

Weinstein walking out of court in cuffs just fine, no mobility issues at all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Wow, we found them, the one person who actually believed the walker was anything other than a weird sympathy ploy. Even before he was miraculously cured after the conviction I didn't think a single person bought that.

Maybe he’ll still die though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJF2cB4hHv4

THis looks doooooope

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
The New Pope was so loving good last night. Beginning to end, just a great episode.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Weinstein is still playing up medical stuff and spent the night in the hospital rather than jail.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eedName=topNews

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dude should just put on a dang neckbrace if he's going for this angle

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Dude should just put on a dang neckbrace if he's going for this angle

Or a noose.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
On one hand gently caress that guy for (as well as many many other reasons) trying to drum up sympathy by faking injury. On the other hand there is no doubt in my mind that guy is a breath away from a heart attack.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
Was there ever a thread for Homeland? I'm guessing there was but I'm not gonna necropost.

I rolled my eyes right out of watching that poo poo at Season 3, my girlfriend is running through it now and I forgot how bad it was. The characters are great but everything else is loving dumb. Yup just parking an SUV on the sidewalk outside the CIA while half the agency is 50 yards away.

I was sick for about a week this month and binged watched a lot of poo poo I needed to catch up on, and this show is towards the bottom. Can't believe it's got another season coming.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

It's 2 or 3 episodes into the current season, isn't that the last? I'm doing the previous one at the moment, it's still dumb but watching their Alex Jones stand in be such a loser is quite fun.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1232414240557789184

The Parks division? They're handing the company over to Tom Wamsgans?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Literally anyone is better than Iger. In addition to being head of Parks, this new guy also worked in film distribution so he’ll probably understand productions way better than Bob “we absolutely have to get this out for summer and also 6 months after the last film” Iger.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Literally anyone is better than Iger.

Let's all welcome new Disney CEO Ike Perlmutter

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

bull3964 posted:

Weinstein is still playing up medical stuff and spent the night in the hospital rather than jail.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...eedName=topNews

It sucks and it's annoying, but I prefer it to the cops letting people die on the floor of their cell because it's easier.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all think that Weinstein will not kill himself.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

:stare: This is kinda next-level even by movie standards I feel like

Its just really fancy rear-projection

everything old is new again

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

Its just really fancy rear-projection

everything old is new again

yeah they were doing something similar way back for Tom Cruise's Oblivion movie to wrap the giant sky condo set in dynamic lighting. It looked gorgeous, but those were pre-rendered scenes. its cool they integrated it with real time CGI rendering tech so you can go beyond color tweaking and start custom placing background geometry while at the same time telling your talent to reposition to show it off a bit more, or adding some fake plants and stones to hide the seam line of the screen to the floor

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bring back old gbs posted:

yeah they were doing something similar way back for Tom Cruise's Oblivion movie to wrap the giant sky condo set in dynamic lighting. It looked gorgeous, but those were pre-rendered scenes. its cool they integrated it with real time CGI rendering tech so you can go beyond color tweaking and start custom placing background geometry while at the same time telling your talent to reposition to show it off a bit more, or adding some fake plants and stones to hide the seam line of the screen to the floor

Yeah.

Although at first I thought the point was so that your actors could see the scene they're in. The problem is if its actually recorded in-camera, it has to be perspective correct, so as the camera moves everything shifts and blurs from the point of view of anybody actually in the scene, which I imagine would be even more bizarre than green screens.

But if you wanted to do it the way I was thinking, you'd have to have a way to easily remove the backgrounds while not having a simple uniform chroma key. Could probably pull it off using motion detection to remove the background but IDK. :shrug:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Finally caught up on Avenue 5, and I love that the show's breather episode is about the cast running out of oxygen. The way they did the rhythm gag, where everyone started having their own clockwork reactions to beeping noise (laughing, talking to it, jumping, anticipating it) and it all slowly built up... It's hitting that perfect space between being funny and anxiety inducing.

Hilarious that the moment the cast decide they need to neutralise Judd is the exact same moment that Matt starts to cosy up to him. (They're basically doing his job for him.) Partly because being his best friend/lickspittle is the safest place to be, but also because it makes it easier to gently caress with people (which he straight up admits he likes doing, so clearly the sleep deprivation was getting to him too).

Honestly, it's becoming a game of who cracks first. My money is on Billie or Iris, but I'm guessing that poor comedian isn't long for this trip either.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah.

Although at first I thought the point was so that your actors could see the scene they're in. The problem is if its actually recorded in-camera, it has to be perspective correct, so as the camera moves everything shifts and blurs from the point of view of anybody actually in the scene, which I imagine would be even more bizarre than green screens.

But if you wanted to do it the way I was thinking, you'd have to have a way to easily remove the backgrounds while not having a simple uniform chroma key. Could probably pull it off using motion detection to remove the background but IDK. :shrug:
it does look weird! Bill Burr was talking on his podcast about how the background moves crazy when the camera moves and everything looks wonky as gently caress in person but completely locked down and perfect in-camera

How it works is the scene has a generic sort of background thats always there, but the "hero" section is always locked to the cameras perspective and travels around the set as the camera moves, so when you're out of the cameras sight line you can see this very obvious box moving around the screens, which you never see in-camera because that box goes just beyond the lens's framing. I wouldnt be surprised to find out the generic section was pre-rendered or WAY LESS fidelity real-time, and the box is where they focus the most processing power. You can see an example of it here at 34:20 when they move the camera, but the shiny bike is still reflecting all the rocks and stones from the non-active section

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyYXLEz0k1Y&t=2060s

And they also use the live background to shoot greenscreen passes while keeping reflections from the LCD background which is fuckin bananas to me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hjb-AqMD-a4&t=608s

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Feb 25, 2020

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Ariza posted:

It sucks and it's annoying, but I prefer it to the cops letting people die on the floor of their cell because it's easier.

Yeah, not really criticizing the medical response, but he's going to keep stringing this out to keep from going to jail too.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Ooh, I like the idea of using it in order to generate reflections and give the actor the scene, and having the green square move with the camera and then doing things in post. That'd be less discombobulating I think.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

Ooh, I like the idea of using it in order to generate reflections and give the actor the scene, and having the green square move with the camera and then doing things in post. That'd be less discombobulating I think.

Yeah, they use different combinations depending on what they need. If the background is far away, they will do completely in camera because it doesn't need a ton of fidelity, but if there's something like a creature charging at the camera that requires more animation and detail, they can do the green square to matte out that section for replacement later while keeping the rest of the ambient lighting in place so that there's accurate reflections and lighting.

The switching seamlessly between the two modes is what's crazy efficient about this process. So, they could shoot someone head on with their background to get a reaction shot then have them turn around, flip the environment around to retain correct lighting, and then do the green screen square to insert what the thing is they are reacting to.

Doing that in a traditional way would require a ton more setup and fine tuning.

They also mention that the use of real reflections allows them to use more 'real' props. For example, a lot of things like swords are partially CG since they would reflect the green environment and need to be touched up later. But with accurate reflections, they can use highly reflective real props and have everything captured in camera.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Feb 26, 2020

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

zoux posted:

Hillary sighs as she unrolled her garrote.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bull3964 posted:

They also mention that the use of real reflections allows them to use more 'real' props. For example, a lot of things like swords are partially CG since they would reflect the green environment and need to be touched up later. But with accurate reflections, they can use highly reflective real props and have everything captured in camera.

ahh badass i never even thought of the prop reflections. And they ABSOLUTELY took advantage of this with Mando's armor

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ariza posted:

But only rich people get this treatment

I was arrested for DUI about 10 years ago. I wasn't drunk and the charge was completely dropped eventually. But I was in County for almost 72 hours with no phone call and they even forgot to feed me or send me to my arraignment. The entire time I was telling them that I had bad Anxiety Disorder and didn't have my medication on me, could they please send me to Medical or call my doctor to confirm or just give me a drat Xanax or anything, and they didn't.

So I've got exactly zero sympathy here

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

zoux posted:

That'd be cool. I think that would help scare the other monsters

precision posted:

But only rich people get this treatment

I was arrested for DUI about 10 years ago. I wasn't drunk and the charge was completely dropped eventually. But I was in County for almost 72 hours with no phone call and they even forgot to feed me or send me to my arraignment. The entire time I was telling them that I had bad Anxiety Disorder and didn't have my medication on me, could they please send me to Medical or call my doctor to confirm or just give me a drat Xanax or anything, and they didn't.

So I've got exactly zero sympathy here

It's not really sympathy because I know what it's like to be locked up in a medical emergency as a poor person. I'm saying wanting less for a "criminal A" is exactly why so many people are ok with it. He should be able to fake whatever poo poo he can, actual medical professionals (not corrections related) should evaluate him, and we should all accept that that's what should be normal.

Random jackasses on the internet saying it's all fake shouldn't hold any more weight just because we know he's a human cesspool that I'd prefer is just drowned in the middle of Hollywood.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well yeah, it's not that I want less for him, I want everyone in prison to be treated well

Taking away someone's freedom and segregating them from society should be the punishment. Violence, rape and harassment are unnecessary on top of that.

Prisons shouldn't be torture chambers, and if they are, all prisoners should be allowed to request a swift and painless death rather than a prison sentence.

Catfishenfuego
Oct 21, 2008

Moist With Indignation

Ariza posted:

I mean, they still do that, just for anyone who's not a rich white guy.

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

I'm really pleasantly surprised with Hunters. Sometimes it hits some really effective emotional beats that I wouldnt expect from the kind of grindhouse tone it sometimes goes for. The characters genuinely have some interesting qualities, and Mindy and Murray really got me good.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

I've been binging Letterkenny over the last month and love this show, but season 4 episode 6 is basically just one sequence of rhymes, puns, or dumb names one right after another. Please don't tell me this is what I have to expect going forward?

E- like, I know I just described a bunch of the humor of the show, but not basically 15 minutes straight worth.

e2- Back on track the next episode.

"Like in 300?"
"That was Greece, this is Romans"
"LIKE IN 300, BUDDY!"
"Well, I guess, since there's no frame of reference, I guess the comparison will do..."
"THIS! IS! SPARTAAAAAAAAAAAAA!"

:golfclap:

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 04:51 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
I binged all of Letterkenny last week and overall I loved it. Season 5 onward feel very different though. The show looked a hell of a lot nicer, but the writing felt way different. Season 5 was still really loving funny even with the changes but the first half or so of season 6 was pretty bad in my opinion. It got better toward the end though and seasons 7 & 8 were back to being really good. Maybe not as good as seasons 1-5, but that could have just been fatigue from watching it all so quickly.