Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
Took me nearly a year in the new house to get the third bay bump out fully set up, but I’m pretty happy with it now.

Added a switch and light socket above the work bench area and switched the main garage lights to the 80W versions of these tri-LEDs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

That is some pro-tier garage art.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

How well do the tri led things work? I've been looking at them on amazon as a cheap way to get more light in the garage.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I built a shelf for wheels and tires, just to get them off the floor:

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I like this. I've got to do something similar now that I've got 8 extra wheels.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

That's a cool shelf. I've got 3 of these and they work really well:

https://www.amazon.com/MaxxHaul-704...x=Tire+r&sr=8-3

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

TrueChaos posted:

Those are also cool, and buying them is more likely to happen than building a suspended rack.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.
How do you get the tires/wheels down?

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

builds character posted:

How do you get the tires/wheels down?
Probably the ladder hanging on the wall that is no longer on the wall when hes sitting up there.

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius

Mr. Powers posted:

Those are also cool, and buying them is more likely to happen than building a suspended rack.

I thought about welding something like that up, but I had the wood and lumber laying around.

Cage posted:

Probably the ladder hanging on the wall that is no longer on the wall when hes sitting up there.

Bingo! A bit more work than having the wheels on the floor, but worth it.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

afen posted:

I thought about welding something like that up, but I had the wood and lumber laying around.

Bingo! A bit more work than having the wheels on the floor, but worth it.

That makes a lot more sense than anything I was thinking of.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

TrueChaos posted:

How well do the tri led things work? I've been looking at them on amazon as a cheap way to get more light in the garage.

I have no complaints for the price especially if all you have is a single bulb socket and don’t want to re-wire anything. The garage is plenty bright for sure between the two 80W and one 60W lamps. I also put them in the unfinished basement storage/utility area.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik

IOwnCalculus posted:

That is some pro-tier garage art.

Thanks! Another favorite item I’ve put up since I took the workbench picture is this clock; the gear ring is from an actual INDYCAR gearbox.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

TrueChaos posted:

I just bought 3 of these because of your post.. Time to take advantage of my 4 meters of vertical space!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
still cheaper to build em with 2x4s but that does look pretty good for the money

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I've got 2 of 'em for storing winter tires. They're great and fold up when not in use.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Suburban Dad posted:

I've got 2 of 'em for storing winter tires. They're great and fold up when not in use.

Silly but serious question, are they ever really not in use? I have a tire storage shelf and it's either got my summer tires or my winter tires on it. Basically the folding seems like one of those features that helps sell the product but is actually never used. One on rails with a winch would be a way better option for me, I almost threw my back out hoisting the tires over my head last time I did it.

drat that gives me an idea.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
I was too nervous after reading about proper tyre storage so I got those one wheel stacked ones. Dunno it actually matters very much if the tyre rests on bars.. Where it goes through the center bore in the rim and stacks. But I also need to be able to move the storage around.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

LloydDobler posted:

Silly but serious question, are they ever really not in use? I have a tire storage shelf and it's either got my summer tires or my winter tires on it. Basically the folding seems like one of those features that helps sell the product but is actually never used. One on rails with a winch would be a way better option for me, I almost threw my back out hoisting the tires over my head last time I did it.

Generally, no. But I didn't bother buying winter tires for my current car so it's folded.

And work out more old man.
as I throw out my back all the drat time

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I am so confused by wanting to store wheels & tires way up high, that seems like an injury waiting to happen. I mean if you're a tire shop and that's all you store, sure, but goddamn that's a horrible design for a home garage.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

I am so confused by wanting to store wheels & tires way up high, that seems like an injury waiting to happen. I mean if you're a tire shop and that's all you store, sure, but goddamn that's a horrible design for a home garage.

It's where there's free space when you don't have floor space. It's not rocket science. I like to actually park in the garage since the winters suck hear and gently caress scraping windshields, so two cars go in here and I try to utilize all the space. I'd rather have them up high than have to carry 4x down the steps to the basement (no shed) and back up again twice a year.

Since I've only posted mine about 100x in this thread:

It's since been changed a bit more and cleaned up slightly. Always a work in progress.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Mar 1, 2020

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

LloydDobler posted:

Me too: Wall mounted winch setup that lifts a set of wheels on a center bore bar?

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

I have no space in this 80% empty two car garage for my subcompact, so I'm gonna make sure I injure my back in the most spectacular way possible by storing wheels overhead.

You guys must be in your 20s, just give it a few years.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Pryor on Fire posted:

I have no space in this 80% empty two car garage for my subcompact, so I'm gonna make sure I injure my back in the most spectacular way possible by storing wheels overhead.

I'm in my 30's and would rather have the floor space over hauling the tires to the basement. :)

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

How big of wheels/tires are you guys bitching about lifting here? All my stuff is 13-15" wheels so they're light. I can see worrying about lifting some massive wheels but otherwise wtf?

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
18"-19" rim wheels can be pretty tiring after a while.

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel
Oh no I have to take down move a total of 16 wheels twice a year onto my tire rack how ever will I cope

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Lightbulb Out posted:

how ever will I cope

Aleve

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I was just talking with some friends about how that poo poo never worked for me in my twenties. Turned 30 and it was like someone flipped a switch, aspirin stopped working as well, ibuprofen fell off, so I got desperate and got quite the surprise when my muscle pain just went away and stayed away for ten hours with two goddamn pills

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Aleve is a helluva drug

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Aleve is great for lots of things, but for headaches there are only two options: Excedrine Migraine, and Goody’s Headache powders.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Pryor on Fire posted:

ok Boomer

Mid 30s and I have a giant mini van and wife has an outback. Please project more of your problems onto me if you could.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i will freely admit i dont like lugging my wife's cx5 wheels (225s on 19s) up onto the tire storage rack but i dont have to do it that often. ladder is required.

its absolutely worth it to keep the floor space available.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I went out to start this years perpetual garage tidying and basically shuffled the piles around, screwed wheels to a bucket and screwed some brackets to the end of the workbench to get spare weights off the floor. That being real progress should give you an idea of how bad my enthusiasm for this usually is.

Now if I can get the S40 dragged away and the trailer emptied of scrap I can try welding again in the space I'll create. That's this month's target.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

cakesmith handyman posted:

I went out to start this years perpetual garage tidying and basically shuffled the piles around, screwed wheels to a bucket and screwed some brackets to the end of the workbench to get spare weights off the floor. That being real progress should give you an idea of how bad my enthusiasm for this usually is.

I have a new dryer being delivered this afternoon which dictates I perform a similar ritual. I feel your pain.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Beach Bum posted:

Me too: Wall mounted winch setup that lifts a set of wheels on a center bore bar?

Basically. I was thinking take the standard tire holder design and put it on strut channel screwed to the wall. They sell bearing carriers that roll in them off the shelf. Then you just winch or hoist it up.

NitroSpazzz posted:

How big of wheels/tires are you guys bitching about lifting here? All my stuff is 13-15" wheels so they're light. I can see worrying about lifting some massive wheels but otherwise wtf?

Full size european cars? Right around 50 lb each. 18" x 8" wheels with tires.

Pryor on Fire posted:

I'm 48, kid.

TrueChaos posted:

and would rather have the floor space

Exactly. My tire shelf is 6' 4 off the ground, so if I just pick the tire up and overhead press it, I get the edge on the shelf and then just shove. It's not too bad on a ladder. But I tried it without the ladder once and that's when I was a little uncomfortable when done.

But yeah I have too many spare parts (which I'll never use and should get rid of) so there is very little room in my garage, certainly not enough for a stack of tires. They're packed around the perimeter so I still have room to park 2 cars in there. I suppose under a bench would work best for tires but that's where I put really heavy poo poo like axles and transmissions for future projects.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My friend just moved and his new house has (in addition to the attached 2 car garage) a detached 30x50 3 car garage (as well as one of those metal carports). The big detached has stairs and storage trusses for an absolutely mammoth area to hold all of the things ever. I have very serious garage envy.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

30x50 would be pretty drat sweet. If only. :(

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Yeah that's basically the dream right there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And here I am dreaming of a 1.5 bay garage in the back corner of the yard.