Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Goddamn Eddie Kingston. That was one hell of promo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

WatermelonGun posted:

no it’s a sick song and you’re not phil so you can sing it and it’s not bad anymore.
I steer clear of anything that could make marginalized folks feel unsafe at my show. Like, I have Springtime for Hitler in my collection, but I don't let people sing it, because it requires context not everybody has.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth
Who was that magnificent fat bastard?? Can't remember who said it but the best part of wrestling is watching fat cunts jumping off the top rope

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Seams posted:

whats this now
Whoops, I missed this.

Dojo Pro. Short version: A couple years ago, Trump lawyer Jay Sekulow's kid, Logan Sekulow, launched a seasonal, episodic, binge-able wrestling show that he taped in Nashville several months earlier. It was actually really good! But Logan is on the board of Jay's ACLJ, which is basically, at least on the surface, one of many "what conservatives think the ACLU does, but for them" organizations. They have an offshoot, the EACLJ, in east Africa, and together they've backed some of the "kill the gays" efforts, like making homosexuality punishable by death in African countries. Logan claimed that when he joined the board, he made sure they stopped all anti-gay activities, but there's no proof of that; they just scrubbed the anti-gay stuff from their websites.

When I had discovered Dojo Pro, I greatly enjoyed the show, thought it was cool that someone had figured out wrestling for binge watching, and did an article that included interviewing Logan. Perhaps because my brain was in "cool entertainment profile" mode and not in investigation mode (as well as being of European Jewish extraction and, in spite of having an uncommon/distinctive last name, having distant relatives nobody in my immediate family has ever heard of), it didn't hit me until after that he was Jay Sekulow's kid. I'm still embarrassed by it to this day, but thankfully nobody seems to hold it against me and everyone quickly cancelled Logan.

Don't blame any of the talent; they had no idea, and understandably so.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
Powerrr continues to be great week in and week out. It's really wonderful to have this and AEW to watch every week.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I get super tempted to tune back in because I absolutely loved this show before Cornette's meltdown and subsequent revelation that both the owner and booker are white supremacists.

I'm not a Neilsen home, and I canceled my 'Network subscription after the Saudi deal, so following WWE felt pretty guilt-free, since they never got any of my money and for all intents and purposes, I didn't exist to them, but with NWA, even a Youtube view counts.

Judging by the fact that Powerrr just ended and this thread is still on the second page, I'm not alone.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

I get super tempted to tune back in because I absolutely loved this show before Cornette's meltdown and subsequent revelation that both the owner and booker are white supremacists.

I'm not a Neilsen home, and I canceled my 'Network subscription after the Saudi deal, so following WWE felt pretty guilt-free, since they never got any of my money and for all intents and purposes, I didn't exist to them, but with NWA, even a Youtube view counts.

Judging by the fact that Powerrr just ended and this thread is still on the second page, I'm not alone.

the nazis and their loving bullshit, tuesdays were so good for a hot minute there

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

oh but seriously I posted:

the nazis and their loving bullshit, tuesdays were so good for a hot minute there
Right? I still watch and enjoy Dark, but the shows really contrasted with one-another in a pleasant way and added to one-another. As good as Dark is, I'm weirdly not as excited about it as I used to be, because for some reason, watching NWA beforehand left me ready for some AEW.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

I still watch and enjoy Powerrr. It's just that no one here wants to talk about it. Which is fine.

Aron Stevens ridiculously long third degree black belt is hilarious. Eddie Kingston is amazing; his promo from a few weeks ago was one of the best. He also has the worst luck when it comes to trusting someone. And I'm more interested in the upcoming Crockett Cup than Wrestlemania.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

We were all so ready to like it. And it was even good. Such a shame.

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
It continues to be a really solid show week in and week out and doesn't need concern trolling from someone who doesn't even watch it.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Roasted Donut posted:

It continues to be a really solid show week in and week out and doesn't need concern trolling from someone who doesn't even watch it.
Hey. Concern trolling is when somebody says "I'm concerned about your health" to a fat person they don't know because they're pretending their concern is what's important when really, they just want to poo poo on a group that's inexplicably still okay to poo poo on for no good loving reason.

It's, by definition, bullshit people tell everybody else to hide what they mean.

I am now, and always do, say exactly what I mean.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Roasted Donut posted:

Glad to see you've took a break to say the bigoted singer is making peak wrestling and the minorities he targets (for example, transphobia here, here, here and called out by a victim of his transphobia here) are faking it

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Feb 26, 2020

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Chris James 2 posted:

Glad to see you've took a break from stanning the XFL to say the bigoted singer is making peak wrestling and the minorities he targets (for example, transphobia here, here, here and called out by a victim of his transphobia here) are faking it

You might want to check your sources on the XFL. Also good lord the rest of your post is completely ridiculous and not at all what I have voiced anywhere in here. Just because I called your friend out on thread making GBS threads doesn't mean you have to take your aggression out on me.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

WSAENOTSOCK posted:

Hey. Concern trolling is when somebody says "I'm concerned about your health" to a fat person they don't know because they're pretending their concern is what's important when really, they just want to poo poo on a group that's inexplicably still okay to poo poo on for no good loving reason.

It's, by definition, bullshit people tell everybody else to hide what they mean.

You're completely correct, btw

quote:

I am now, and always do, say exactly what I mean.

:same:

ed: lol at the av

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Feb 26, 2020

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

ed: double post

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!
lmao thanks for the new av

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

RIP the sandusky thread deputy star

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

Alaois posted:

It had a solid 9ish year run.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Alaois posted:

That loving thread was a rollercoaster.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

This thread gets little enough traffic as it is, so keep it on topic (which WSAENOTSOCK's original post absolutely was) and click here if you want to continue a slapfight.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nick Aldis did an interview where he admits he sucks at wrestling because he has wrestled in Japan and the fans only respond with light clapping.

https://cultaholic.com/news/nwa-star-nick-aldis-wants-the-fetishizing-of-japanese-wrestling-to-end/

quote:

“I really want to qualify this point before I make it because I know that clickbaiters are going to pick this up and turn it into something it’s not, but I need the western wrestling’s obsession with Japanese wrestling to just calm down a little bit. I’ve wrestled in Japan and I love going to Japan but I’ll be honest with you, I don’t love wrestling in Japan because it hurts. It’s really physically taxing and I don’t get the same adrenaline rush from it because the audience don’t react. It’s like I’m killing myself and its *light clapping*. What I mean by this, I understand and respect that they have their own thing and there are some guys who are phenomenal and there are some who are some of the best ever. Legends. But it works for their culture. It works for that audience.

“And I’m just so over this snobby sort of misconception that has sort of bled into the overall lexicon of modern wrestling that somehow if it’s Japanese, it’s better. Like, this is how they do it in Japan…What I’m talking is this sort of almost fetishizing of anything that’s Japanese and somehow that makes it better. The ironic thing is you’re working the audience because most of them have never been to Japan, they’ve never been in a Japanese audience, they’re not Japanese. They’ve just been co-opted to believe ‘oh its Japanese, it must be better. I better agree or everyone else will think I’m stupid or everyone will think I’m not elevated enough as a wrestling fan. I’m not knowledgeable enough.’ It’s this sort of weird snobby sort of culture that exists now.”

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I just still feel like NWA Powerrr is weird because its like TNA 4 years ago but in a smaller studio.

I wish Eddie and Homicide would go to AEW and reunite with their young buddies.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

MassRafTer posted:

Nick Aldis did an interview where he admits he sucks at wrestling because he has wrestled in Japan and the fans only respond with light clapping.

https://cultaholic.com/news/nwa-star-nick-aldis-wants-the-fetishizing-of-japanese-wrestling-to-end/

I mean there's a part of it that I sort of agree with? I'm not talking WWE but in terms of overall I don't think NJPW is light years ahead of AEW in terms of product quality or anything. They're different flavors at times, but they're both the absolute class of their particular art forms.

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

People still perpetuating the "quiet, Japanese wrestling crowd" myth because they couldn't get over when we all saw Okada/Naito are ridiculous. Like even when The Bucks were doing it, it was still enough of a niche interest that they could get away with saying it but now when more people are watching NJPW than have ever watched a Nick Aldis match, it's baffling.

Also Nick Aldis complaining about the fetishisation of anything when he's the champion of an 80s studio wrestling cargo cult fed is funny.

SamuraiFoochs posted:

I mean there's a part of it that I sort of agree with? I'm not talking WWE but in terms of overall I don't think NJPW is light years ahead of AEW in terms of product quality or anything. They're different flavors at times, but they're both the absolute class of their particular art forms.

You only really need to go look at the MOTYC thread to see that people aren't making GBS threads on AEW because it's not Japanese though.

GEORGE W BUSHI fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Mar 2, 2020

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As GEORGE W BUSHI notes, the crowds in Japan can get absolutely loving electric and lose their minds. This idea that they sit quietly and just lightly pepper the wrestlers with composed, dignified clapping at key points is just complete bullshit.

bebaloorpabopalo
Nov 23, 2005

I'm not interested in constructive criticism, believe me.
You can't even pretend that only the top Japanese stars get good reactions because just relatively recently you have Mox/Juice, Mox/Archer, Omega/Jericho and a ton of other examples of two gaijin getting way more of a reaction than Polite Clapping. Just personally I find Japanese crowds to be better on the whole between knowing when to be quiet to add suspense to a situation, to the screams for a wrestler that break the silence from people who are too invested to not support their favorite, to the gasps when a stiff shot hits *that you can hear* because the crowd was dead silent in anticipation. In America you have to Shh the audience before every chop (WOO!) and if there's any downtime someone will start a chant that will awkwardly peter out. Granted, NOTHING compares to a huge pop at a western show. The highs are way better, but overall the crowd element in Japan keeps me way more interested and invested as a viewer.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Jerusalem posted:

As GEORGE W BUSHI notes, the crowds in Japan can get absolutely loving electric and lose their minds. This idea that they sit quietly and just lightly pepper the wrestlers with composed, dignified clapping at key points is just complete bullshit.

they only do this for the rotten matches. So if you wrestled a match and this was the response you heard, that means your match sucked. I find this kind of response a lot more brutal than fans loving around in their phones and pavlovian chants.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
hoodslam lets you smoke weed so the crowd is good by default

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

WatermelonGun posted:

hoodslam lets you smoke weed so the crowd is good by default

The crowd, wrestlers, and refs all smoke weed during the show. Hoodslam is the best

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I’d watch Hoodslam more often but the time zone difference is pretty tough for me now. It’s usually coming on at the point where I start thinking sleep is cool.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I dunno why Aldis feels the need to single out Japanese wrestling, I'm sure plenty of people don't react at all to his matches.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

NWA suspends Crockett Cup and NWA Powerrr tapings.

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1239574296684646407?s=20

Flat out refunding Crockett Cup tickets

Dr. Baker
Jan 25, 2012

Numb me, drill me
Floss me, bill me

Davros1 posted:

NWA suspends Crockett Cup and NWA Powerrr tapings.

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1239574296684646407?s=20

Flat out refunding Crockett Cup tickets

Is Marty handling those refunds?

Oil!
Nov 5, 2008

Der's e'rl in dem der hills!

Ham Wrangler
NWA and Joe Exotic because of course it occured.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfBknqM8fZU

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

GEORGE W BUSHI posted:

You only really need to go look at the MOTYC thread to see that people aren't making GBS threads on AEW because it's not Japanese though.

So we mostly agree then?

Pinche Rudo
Feb 8, 2005

Just gonna drop this here with a "gently caress Lagana, gently caress Corgan, and gently caress the NWA"

https://twitter.com/nwa/status/1274078353469984768?s=19

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Bring back Bruce Tharpe

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Might have had a better business plan to survive

https://twitter.com/unitedwrestling/status/1292961700895850496

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64