Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Better to risk dying against act 1 elites and starting over than to waste time on a run hamstrung by Perfected Strike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

God drat this was frustrating. If corruption hadn't been in the bottom 10 cards of my deck, it would've been the easiest heart kill of my life.

Also, what are you people talking about, perfected strike is a great card to build a deck around. A card that can oneshot most normal enemies no questions asked is extremely good. Combined with double tap you can basically win most fights on turn 1.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
On low ascensions you can do anything, including keeping five Strikes in your deck to make your one good card a little better.

That strategy don’t pay off so much when you’re on higher ascensions and getting blown up cause you draw hands full of loving Strikes.

eta also if you play to kill the Heart every run then it *really* doesn’t work

J
Jun 10, 2001

If you aren't pumping up your perfected strike with meteor strike then don't even talk to me.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
If only my keystone card had not been buried underneath 30 other cards, I could have won.

Also, having a 40 card deck is super great, I don't know why people would badmouth it

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
If your 40 card deck has a bunch of good cards in it then it seems fine to me!

But yes if your strategy is to draw your one good card as soon as possible then maybe don’t put too much other poo poo in the way. Which is also the problem with Perfected Strike: it’s alright to have a 2-cost attack that does like 30+ damage, but not if there’s a bunch of Strikes in front of it.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

McCoy Pauley posted:

Yeah, this makes sense to me. The best I've done so far with Defect has been when I've been lucky enough to get the relic that adds extra orb slots (Inserter?) And when i can get a good number of frost orbs slotted, that generally seems to work. But I keep just running in to the buzzsaw of either that red elite rear end in a top hat (the dude carrying the spine) or the one that starts off sleeping in his shell, and both of those guys either kill me outright or wreck me so much I'm screwed for the rest of the run. I don't know why those two didn't seem like more trouble with the red and green character, but they're giving me fits with Defect.

Both of those fights are damage races, especially Gremlin Nob. They both reinforce the need to take damage cards early, especially in the first half of act 1 you pretty much need to be taking any halfway decent damage source you're offered. For Nob, you want to not bother with blocking unless you're sure you can kill within the next two turns anyway. You'll take some damage, but if you picked up some damage cards the fight should be over in ~4 turns. For Lagavulin, make sure to use the free turns at the start of the fight to set up any orbs or powers you've got. You should at the very least get Zap played before cracking his shell.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

MJeff posted:

I would always grab Torii just on the off chance of also getting Tungsten Rod or some Intangible.

wait what

i understand how torii comboes with rod, but not with intangible unless the beta's changed its behaviour

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
One run I got a bunch of perfected strikes and the strike dummy relic.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RyokoTK posted:

On low ascensions you can do anything, including keeping five Strikes in your deck to make your one good card a little better.

That strategy don’t pay off so much when you’re on higher ascensions and getting blown up cause you draw hands full of loving Strikes.

eta also if you play to kill the Heart every run then it *really* doesn’t work

That's an A16 Heart kill. I'd hardly call that "low ascension".

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
You also don't play perfected strike with only having one in your deck.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Countblanc posted:

Yeah it's greatest crime is that you see it and start brainstorming The Dream Deck based around it. Claw, One For All, and basically anything Shiv-related have this same "problem". It's exceedingly rare that you'll take it past the first half of act 1, but if you're a floor away from an act 1 elite and it's your first real damage option offered it suddenly starts looking a bit nicer.

The thing that bugs me about Shiv decks is there's actually a bunch of cool things you can do with them, and a bunch of ways to make them work, but sometimes the game just goes "HMMM NOPE".

Then again, that's because half the time the cards it's not giving you are the ones that actually, you know, make the Shivs. :v:

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Color Printer posted:

The thing that bugs me about Shiv decks is there's actually a bunch of cool things you can do with them, and a bunch of ways to make them work, but sometimes the game just goes "HMMM NOPE".

Then again, that's because half the time the cards it's not giving you are the ones that actually, you know, make the Shivs. :v:

I think every time I've gotten a good shiv deck running, one that can basically play infinite cards every turn, with a kunai or shuriken, I've gotten completely wrecked by the one thing the deck can't handle: time eater.

bad metaphors
Nov 6, 2014

Shiv decks can be surprisingly workable even on a20 vs time eater but you absolutely need both shuriken and a way to reset time eater's strength post-split, generally with plans + wail. You can probably substitute the latter for a juicy malaise or a well-timed wraith form but otherwise it's hopeless if you're missing any of those pieces.

The heart is another matter entirely because of beat of death and you may end up having to topdeck a nightmare + after image or something

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

Various Meat Products posted:

Both of those fights are damage races, especially Gremlin Nob. They both reinforce the need to take damage cards early, especially in the first half of act 1 you pretty much need to be taking any halfway decent damage source you're offered. For Nob, you want to not bother with blocking unless you're sure you can kill within the next two turns anyway. You'll take some damage, but if you picked up some damage cards the fight should be over in ~4 turns. For Lagavulin, make sure to use the free turns at the start of the fight to set up any orbs or powers you've got. You should at the very least get Zap played before cracking his shell.

Thanks, this has helped a lot in dealing with those two jerks. Now I just need to get smarter about A3, where I guess I should avoiding elites? I had a nice thing going to an Inserter and some cards that gave me focus, and ran into that Elite who goes intangible periodically, who wrecked me when all my damage cards synced up with his intangible phase and my block couldn't overcome his 45 damage with his scythe.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thanks, this has helped a lot in dealing with those two jerks. Now I just need to get smarter about A3, where I guess I should avoiding elites? I had a nice thing going to an Inserter and some cards that gave me focus, and ran into that Elite who goes intangible periodically, who wrecked me when all my damage cards synced up with his intangible phase and my block couldn't overcome his 45 damage with his scythe.

Fighting elites is generally a good idea. Jorbs rates beating an elite to be worth about a card upgrade which is equivalent to the health you get from a campfire.

So if you can beat the elites and lose less health than that, it's worth considering.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Perfected Strike + Dual Wield is a wombo combo

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I think the thread is being a bit hard on perfected strike right now. It's not the greatest card in the game, but it's good enough on first pick, and the upside is real; once you have one, it's attractive to take more, and Pommel Strike is a good card you want anyway. And it's a special experience to beat the three blobs by just oneshotting them with perfected strikes.

Tokyo Sex Whale
Oct 9, 2012

"My butt smells like vanilla ice cream"
It’s dumb and bad that exhausting a strike takes it out of the count for the bonus to perfected strike. Fiend fire’s the only way to exhaust them en masse and you’d still need to do some noodling to set it up.

A 1-cost anger or endless agony style strike card clogging up your deck to buff perfected strike would be cool.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
perfected strike is fine, at least on a0, and it's not just the 5 generic strike cards you start with that buff it - pommel/twin/etc strikes also buff it

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I'm confident in saying perfected strike is fine up to a15, and I doubt it becomes bad at a20 either

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Finally broke my 10 run losing streak at ascension 14 with this absolutely nutty deck

Every single block card came after I got Pandora's Box on the act 1 boss. I was frantically looking for anything with block, which is why I have a Rage, Power Through, Sentinel, Entrench, and Shrug it off. Before that the only block cards I had were an upgraded defend and Disarm. Act 2 was a total shitshow that I got through due to a blood potion, a block potion, and an upgraded shockwave. By random luck I managed to get Feel No Pain, Shrug it Off, Thread & Needle, and Sentinel all in a row, and then an Impervious from the Champ.
Once I had a 4th energy I had won that run though. I had so much card draw with Offering, 2x Burning Pact, Battle Trance, Impatience and Warcry that I could always find Demon Form pretty early on as well as both FNP. on floor 47 I got the mind bloom event and upgraded everything, and then I got a Charon's Ashes right after that.

Basically, no matter how bad you are at the game, sometimes you just win.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

"Why is Glass Knife ranked A+ on this card website????" - man who apparently missed the word "twice" until he used the card for the first time after he got it from Neow

edit: it does how much upgraded??????

Color Printer fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 24, 2020

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Glass knife is an EXTREMELY good card.

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Came back to this game two weeks ago and decided to start climbing ascensions. I stalled at 4 until this. :3: Runic Dome was still pretty drat good but I also finished a lot of fights really quickly. The Strike relic + strength scaling made Twin Strike MVP. I took a weird path for the first level because I had a good chance to get to the first elite with the "Enemies have 1 HP" starter relic.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Just discovered a fun interaction that swung the battle for me against the Awakened one at A9:

Popped omniscience(4 cost: pick a card from your deck, play it twice, then exhaust it)

It shows me my deck and there's a normality in there (curse: you can only play 3 cards this turn). My defense is primarily built by playing lots of cards and I have no discard, so I realize I'm going to have to eat 30-50 damage at least twice since Awakened attacks every turn).

I was about to just give up, but then I tried selecting Notmality with omniscience. I thought it wouldn't work because it says "play the card twice" and you can't play courses, but it just exhausted it. Didn't give me the restriction on that turn, either.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

wait what

i understand how torii comboes with rod, but not with intangible unless the beta's changed its behaviour

I was just assuming it would reduce the damage to 0, I'm not speaking from experience.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

MJeff posted:

I was just assuming it would reduce the damage to 0, I'm not speaking from experience.

Rod + intangible does, yes. Torii effectively does nothing with intangible, as it reduces damage to 1, which is all you'll be hit for anyway while intangible. .

Deckit
Sep 1, 2012

Praise Snecko and the dirty, dirty things it lets me do. Ended that run with like 133 health. Ascension 6, here I come!

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Shine posted:

Rod + intangible does, yes. Torii effectively does nothing with intangible, as it reduces damage to 1, which is all you'll be hit for anyway while intangible. .

Lmao I just conflated Torii with Rod while also mentioning Rod in the same post, in relation to how good it is with Torii. :downs:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Can you get your character's unique relic from the whale on floor 1? Like trade burning blood for black blood?

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
I finally got a Defect run going with Snecko Eye, All for One, several Holograms, and a bunch of Sunder and Meteor Strike, and finally Defect feel like it's making sense to me.

Which is in fact probably more Snecko than me having learned something about Defect

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Tenzarin posted:

Can you get your character's unique relic from the whale on floor 1? Like trade burning blood for black blood?

No. Your upgrade relic is only offered if you have the starter relic, and swapping with Neow means you don't have it any more.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Whenever I feel stuck at an ascension with a character, I do a postmortem of some of my recent losses. EVERY single time, it's because I fell into the mindless habit of doing something that worked in the past, rather than organically working the best advantage of the current situation.

This isn't just trying to force decks that I know worked: I was having trouble at A9 with silent in Act 1, and I realized it was because I was blindly following the path that would get me to 3-4 elites, when in fact when things broke bad I should've diverted to a path with lots of campfires.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
I finally beat Act 3 on standard mode, no ascension, with Defect, with a deck with Snecko and enough All for Ones and Holograms that I just got lucky with an infinite cycle of zero cost Sunders, All for Ones, and Holograms to eliminate the donut bosses.

I guess I can now access Act 4 and fight the heart, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it. This guide says:

To get the Ruby Key, you need to go to a rest place and there will be an option called ''Recall'' to acquire it.

To get the Emerald Key, you must search the map for a ''marked'' Elite fight, then defeat it. You will receive the normal payout, plus the key.

To get the Sapphire Key, you need to find a chest. The key is linked with the item, meaning you can only take one (essentially, you are forgoing a relic). Now, once you complete Act 3, you will go to Act 4. This can be done in any Ascension.

Is that any rest place, or a specific one that I need to identify on the map? Same with the Elite -- how will I know it? And for the chest -- any chest, or a specific one I need to find?

And can I do all this and get to the Heart in a custom game, or do I have to be playing in Standard mode?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

McCoy Pauley posted:

I finally beat Act 3 on standard mode, no ascension, with Defect, with a deck with Snecko and enough All for Ones and Holograms that I just got lucky with an infinite cycle of zero cost Sunders, All for Ones, and Holograms to eliminate the donut bosses.

I guess I can now access Act 4 and fight the heart, but I'm not entirely sure how to do it. This guide says:

To get the Ruby Key, you need to go to a rest place and there will be an option called ''Recall'' to acquire it.

To get the Emerald Key, you must search the map for a ''marked'' Elite fight, then defeat it. You will receive the normal payout, plus the key.

To get the Sapphire Key, you need to find a chest. The key is linked with the item, meaning you can only take one (essentially, you are forgoing a relic). Now, once you complete Act 3, you will go to Act 4. This can be done in any Ascension.

Is that any rest place, or a specific one that I need to identify on the map? Same with the Elite -- how will I know it? And for the chest -- any chest, or a specific one I need to find?

And can I do all this and get to the Heart in a custom game, or do I have to be playing in Standard mode?

You need to be in a standard game. You can get the Sapphire at any chest, and the Ruby at any rest point. I recommend waiting til act three, unless you get a poo poo relic at a chest earlier that doesn’t help at all - early upgrades and relics are important. You can’t miss the chosen elite - it has a little fire behind it’s icon.

Gun Jam
Apr 11, 2015

McCoy Pauley posted:

Adding to @Dramatika point - a marked elite will spawn in each act, if you didn't kill it. So don't worry about "missing your chance" - you get three.
However, the elite will get a bigger bonus, if you take on it in a later act.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Thank you both. Time to re-dedicate myself to playing in standard mode instead of futzing around in custom modes.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

McCoy Pauley posted:

Thank you both. Time to re-dedicate myself to playing in standard mode instead of futzing around in custom modes.

Any time. For what it’s worth, I generally put off the camp and chest events til act 3, and only do the elite early if I’m feeling really strong. Additionally, not every Is a Act 4 run - you need a very strong deck and some otherwise strong ‘archetypes’ aren’t suited to fighting the act 4 boss. (Yes, don’t force archetypes, but sometimes you can play organically and end up with a shiv deck or something else that plays a lot of cards and has problems with the l particular mechanics)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I usually do super elite in act 2 unless I'm feeling really strong in act 1. You almost never wanna save it for act 3, the elites there are scary enough already.