Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does Steam have any rules about having multiple currencies on one account?
None that I know of. You can pay in any currency you please, really. I know I've paid for stuff both in dollars and in euros by accident. As long as you pay, they don't really care too much.

You probably won't be able to pay with more than one currency at a time even if you've got multiple types of account balance on there, though, I don't think. If that is even possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Scalding Coffee posted:

Does Steam have any rules about having multiple currencies on one account?

Not so much as any currency you receive will auto-convert to the home region of your account.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Maiden and Spell came out.

If you remotely enjoy shumps, Touhou in particular, I recommend it. It's a solid bullethell fighter with surprisingly really good and smooth netplay.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Cardiovorax posted:

None that I know of. You can pay in any currency you please, really. I know I've paid for stuff both in dollars and in euros by accident. As long as you pay, they don't really care too much.

You probably won't be able to pay with more than one currency at a time even if you've got multiple types of account balance on there, though, I don't think. If that is even possible.

Orv posted:

Not so much as any currency you receive will auto-convert to the home region of your account.
That was going to be my second question. Thanks.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Cardiovorax posted:

Well, if you do, please keep me updated. I don't use computers for work as much as I used to, but I don't fancy ever having to deal with RSI again, either.

I bought the MX Vertical today, and my wrist is already much more comfortable. My aim is no worse; it may even improve with time to get used to it, since with a proper thumb-grip, my shaky hands don't mess up my grip or move the mouse much

Probably the only down things I'd say so far: it's pretty lightweight and feels slightly cheaper than I'd expect for an $80 mouse; and the scroll wheel doesn't have that cool infiniscroll thingy that the MX Master does for the same price :argh:

I'm just one anecdote of course but so far it gets two rather-less-angry thumbs up :thumbsup:

(e) oh it probably doesn't have have the super ~gamer dpi~ i guess :shepface:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Feb 26, 2020

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

exquisite tea posted:

The Frozen Wilds expansion to Horizon Zero Dawn makes me physically feel cold sometimes. Can't wait until it ~allegedly~ comes out for PC so we can really see that snow tesselation!

God drat, I've only tried a bit of the base game on my friend's PS4 and I'm so hype for it to come to PC. I really hope it happens.
This could easily be my new Witcher 3.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Deakul posted:

God drat, I've only tried a bit of the base game on my friend's PS4 and I'm so hype for it to come to PC. I really hope it happens.
This could easily be my new Witcher 3.

I've seen so much good about this game, and then I watched some of Jingle's videos of it, but being a PC nerd I could never actually play it. If it came to the PC I'd buy it in a heartbeat as it really looks like a fantastic game.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Did I post about this already?

https://twitter.com/metacritic/status/1232461818406195200?s=20

Good Point 'n' click with a mashup platformer/adventure game thing going on. Really recommend it. Also the other games by them: Ben There, Dan That and Time Gentlemen Please.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Yakuza 0 is now on Game Pass.

You'd think I could finish it before the 3rd of March or will I get too wrapped up in its mini-games? I had a great 3 months with Game Pass but I should get around to the stuff I bought during the winter sale. And both Hitman seasons, holy poo poo I finally have a PC that can run it properly :monocle:

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Feb 26, 2020

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Mierenneuker posted:

You'd think I could finish it before the 3rd of March or will I get too wrapped up in its mini-games? I had a great 3 months with Game Pass but I should get around to the stuff I bought during the winter sale. And both Hitman seasons, holy poo poo I finally have a PC that can run it properly :monocle:

I don't think you'll be able to really appreciate it by rushing it over a week! The side stories and mini games are fun, but even without those, the main story is quite a hefty length. Personally, I'd recommend having at least a full month to play it on and off instead of rushing through, but that's me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Locator posted:

I've seen so much good about this game, and then I watched some of Jingle's videos of it, but being a PC nerd I could never actually play it. If it came to the PC I'd buy it in a heartbeat as it really looks like a fantastic game.

Good news, then, it's coming to PC.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Mierenneuker posted:

Yakuza 0 is the kind of game that you should just buy because it's very easy to get lost in all the myriad of things you can do in it. If you get pulled into Mahjongg, a whole week of your life will be gone just like that.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

The new Ori continues to look/sound amazing: https://youtu.be/dnCPWrh6TDg

I can’t wait to see this at 1440 and, hopefully, 100+ FPS.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ciaphas posted:

I bought the MX Vertical today, and my wrist is already much more comfortable. My aim is no worse; it may even improve with time to get used to it, since with a proper thumb-grip, my shaky hands don't mess up my grip or move the mouse much

Probably the only down things I'd say so far: it's pretty lightweight and feels slightly cheaper than I'd expect for an $80 mouse; and the scroll wheel doesn't have that cool infiniscroll thingy that the MX Master does for the same price :argh:
Thanks for remembering. That does sound pretty good, so I think once my next paycheck comes around, I'm going to order one on Amazon. Just try it for a week, see how it works for me. I can always send it back if it doesn't fit me.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Anno posted:

The music is still great, at least. Hopefully they'll cut down on the precision platforming a bit in favor of exploration.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Hopefully it has as much platforming as the original

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Super Meat Ori

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Good news, then, it's coming to PC.

it's still only rumoured but the rumours are piling up

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1232626959416512512

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Cyouni posted:

I was told to post the game I just released on Steam here. So uh, here it is, it's a mecha twin-stick shooter.

It looks cool! Good luck with the release

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I have like four Yakuza games on three platforms for free now I'll never play lol

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

It's funny because my post about questioning my enjoyment of open world vs narrative games was from me starting to play Horizon Zero Dawn. The game is definitely a looker, I had to run it on performance mode on ps4 pro cause the fps was giving me a headache.

https://kotaku.com/sources-horizon-zero-dawn-is-coming-to-pc-1841043569

Jason Schreier basically confirmed it, its coming to pc. Horizon is only 2 year old so I am wondering, if Bloodborne to PC is now a reality if this game sells really well. Would make sense for Sony since they probably have all the sales possible on playstation for it.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Here's the thing that really gets me though, some of the gotcha stuff really ain't. For example, prisons: if you don't have them, the only thing you can do is execution by sending them into the frozen wilderness. So instead, you keep them in a warm building for perpetuity. You want to release people from prison? You make them swear loyalty. Which also means that they become informants for your regime. Also, serving soup is looked down upon, because people in the frozen hellscape are gourmets I guess.

This isn't entirely correct, if you don't have prisons you can choose to do nothing rather than banish them. And people reform after about 3 days locked up, you don't keep them forever - the loyalty pledge and informants are unlocked/made options by signing laws of the same name.

I've only played through Frostpunk twice, once when it was first released and then again last week, and I won both runs pretty easily on the default settings. The more recent run I also saved everyone and only one person even got frostbite until the very final -150 night. What I don't like is the game still tells me I've gone too far because I built a prison (which is great at reforming criminals!) and a propaganda centre to spread hopeful news in the loving Apocalypse and convince the idiot Londoners not to go die in the snow. "Was it worth it?" Yeah, Frostpunk devs, it was, piss off.

I also think their scripted events are fairly poorly done, for example the first big one wipes out almost all your Hope rather than reducing it by a set amount or a percentage, which has the odd effect of making people sadder the better you are doing, or if you know about it you can just trigger it early before you sign +Hope laws. Other times you'll be told your mines are too cold for your workers even if you have steam-robots working every mine, or the soil in your Hothouse has frozen solid even though your setup has them sitting at "Comfortable" despite how cold it is outside etc.

That said, I still enjoyed playing it, and the snow/heat effects are great.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

:thunk:

https://twitter.com/Nibellion/status/1232691416779894784

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Ulio posted:

Has this happened to anyone else? I use to love playing massive open world games like GTA or Far Cry when I was younger but these days I literally can't play them more than an hour after getting bored. I feel like I can't play any game that is too open or loose, I need some kind of narrative focus or the gameplay has to be excellent like the Souls games(not massive openworld but still). It's weird cause back in the day I hated games like Half Life or would have hated stuff like Wolfenstein but now I enjoy those games a lot more than the games I loved up as a kid. And its not even a time constraint thing.

I have the same feeling on open world games for different reasons and different game history.

Because I played a shitload of MMOs and alot of open world games, you can see games like the recent assassin's Creeds to show just how much poo poo there is to be done, and it can seem overwhelming.

I always enjoyed games like halflife, in fact before open world stuff I enjoyed violent first person shooters, but I appreciate it even more because it can be linear and well constructed, as opposed to open world and all over the place.

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Feb 26, 2020

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Article updated:

ign posted:

Correction: This story originally stated that an Astral Chain PC port was part of the Kickstarter stretch goals for TW101. This was a mistake - we apologise for the error.
Honest mistake (how?) or accidentally published too early?

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Bought Dark Souls 3 on the Humble sale; played on PS4 a bunch before I had a PC but I'm ready for those sweet 60fps. I'm having a really bad time with controller support though -- I generally have no problems with my dualshock 4 on steam but for some reason the right stick camera control sensitivity is REALLY high even after turning all related settings down to the minimum; a tiny flick will rotate 180° or more and I think it's maybe reading the right stick as a mouse input? Open to any suggestions to fix this! Not super familiar with navigating the controller settings in Steam because most games have worked fine to just plug n play.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?

goferchan posted:

Bought Dark Souls 3 on the Humble sale; played on PS4 a bunch before I had a PC but I'm ready for those sweet 60fps. I'm having a really bad time with controller support though -- I generally have no problems with my dualshock 4 on steam but for some reason the right stick camera control sensitivity is REALLY high even after turning all related settings down to the minimum; a tiny flick will rotate 180° or more and I think it's maybe reading the right stick as a mouse input? Open to any suggestions to fix this! Not super familiar with navigating the controller settings in Steam because most games have worked fine to just plug n play.

It was a while ago but the same thing happened to me. I think it had something to do with Steam Big Picture or whatever they call it selecting a default controller layout which wasn't good and used the right joystick as a 'mouse' instead of a 'move', if I recall correctly. Try going into steam big picture and either tweak the controller setup or change the controller profile it loads to something else.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I gave this one a try because it looked neat, and it turned out to be even neater than it looked!

:intv: Platformebruary 2020: Ultimate Collector's Edition :intv:

1. Blasphemous
2. Duck Souls
3. Dune Sea
4. A Robot Named Fight
5. Sonic Mania
6. Izeriya
7. MagiCat
8. Runner3
9. Harold
10. Spirits Abyss
11. A Short Hike
12. Super Time Force Ultra
13. Touhou Luna Nights
14. Spark the Electric Jester 2
15. Serious Scramblers
16. PONCHO
17. Umihara Kawase
18. Noita
19. Rain World
20. 8BitBoy
21. Wings of Vi
22. MO:Astray
23. Total Party Kill
24. Dandara
25. Potata

26. Skautfold: Usurper

Some of the most ambition I’ve ever seen in gaming has come from little indie passion projects. Fewer collaborators means a clearer line to the vision being presented, but it also means more pressure on those core creators to polish, balance, and correct their own missteps. Titles like Usurper are what hopefully emerge from these efforts, brilliant but flawed attempts at grand concepts. There are bugs, there are annoyances, there are gripes, but I’m happy to set them all aside to see more of this fascinating creation.

At the close of a very different 19th century, London finds itself beset by demons pouring from a massive eldritch citadel perched above it. With reality itself warping under the onslaught, the forces of England under Queen Eleanore launch their own attack to drive the thing away. But other forces have their own designs on the citadel, including Waltham, a parasitic entity who commands a mighty cult. Weakened from a previous encounter with the citadel’s Navigator, he resurrects and possesses the body of Saragat, a royal knight. Saragat is not about to submit quietly, though, which begins an uneasy truce between the two for the sake of removing the citadel from London.

This is just the tip of the iceberg for the narrative here, which itself starts up right from the conclusion of a previous game, Shrouded in Sanity. Prior knowledge won’t be necessary to enjoy the sniping between your unlikely heroes, or to follow the revelations about the citadel as you travel its impossible halls. The story is a decent driver here, including some unique characters, unexpected moves from Waltham, and a young H.P. Lovecraft palling around with a void demon. But the real draw is the worldbuilding and atmosphere offered by the citadel itself. Usurper is steeped hard in cosmic horror and familiar eldritch critters, while still proposing some very compelling ideas of its own.

The cleverness isn’t limited to the setting, either. Usurper seeks to capture some of that ever-present Dark Souls magic with tricky, threatening foes, slow attacks, and strategic dodging, but puts its own spin on the formula. Your attacks and defensive moves all pull from a Guard gauge that gets used up very fast, but is massively recharged with successful dodges. That means your best bet is always to get right up in an enemy’s grill and go hard, dodging into their attacks to keep your gauge high enough to keep attacking. It’s risky, because your health pool is microscopic, but Guard is also used automatically as a second health pool (or regenerating shield) when you get hit. Coupled with the creative and diverse enemies you’ll face, this keeps the combat fresh as you work to perfect your approaches and adjust to new weapons you find.

This being a metroidvania, there’s obviously going to be plenty of exploring for both new powers and new gear to help you to survive the journey. The citadel is a big place with plenty to see, but the layout does a lot to direct you where you need to go for your next boss fight and power. Scouring for loot mostly happens on your way to your destination, and then only turns up stones and vitae for leveling up or buying things, or the occasional weapon. There’s no armor or equipment besides your weapons, and no upgrades or modifications to those weapons, either. For that matter, the stat system is pretty underwhelming in how little improvement it makes for your character despite also being lifted from Dark Souls. Really most of the player systems, from equipment to spells to pets, feel rather underutilized and not worth much of your focus.

The combat and movement is still quite good despite these shortcomings, but they are representative of the flaws I mentioned earlier. Usurper clearly aims to be a grand metroidvania but can’t help but show its indie roots in undercooked systems and other places. I feel the graphics are pretty debatable, with some perfectly creative and detailed enemies set against magnificent backdrops in some areas, and other foes and environments looking like MSPaint and Photoshop filters. I’m mostly okay with it, except some walls are really hard to pick out from the equally-gribbley backgrounds which can make pathfinding tough. The sound design is at least solid, setting some fine atmosphere in the more ominous parts of the citadel.

It may be flawed, but Usurper is ambitious and satisfying in the most important ways. You are offered an adventure through a castle of mad eldritch confluences, cutting down fishmen and ythians alongside brains in jars and beings of pure shadow. Each new area is bolder than the last, and they’re all fine arenas for lashing out with your katanas and revolvers and enchanted polearms. It’s a grand setting for great combat, and when you focus down on that core experience a lot of those complaints I raised just melt away into the aether. Give this one a try, let yourself get caught up in the madness, and I think you’ll come back glad you did.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Anno posted:

I can’t wait to see this at 1440 and, hopefully, 100+ FPS.

Ori was simultaneously one of the the only platformers and one of the only metroidvanias I ever beat, so I'm looking forward to this one.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

FutureCop posted:

It was a while ago but the same thing happened to me. I think it had something to do with Steam Big Picture or whatever they call it selecting a default controller layout which wasn't good and used the right joystick as a 'mouse' instead of a 'move', if I recall correctly. Try going into steam big picture and either tweak the controller setup or change the controller profile it loads to something else.
Seconded, I keep having some minor issues with my 360 controller ever since I started regularly switching between types of controller. I recommend going into your Steam controller settings and trying to load a control setting appropriate for Dark Souls 3. It can do that and that should be enough to fix any Steam-caused control issues.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Too Shy Guy posted:

I gave this one a try because it looked neat, and it turned out to be even neater than it looked!

Skautfold: Usurper

I love the Skautfold games on paper more than in practice, but they're all definitely worth a play, particularly because they're all different genres. Shrouded In Sanity plays like Dark Souls meets Streets of Rage, and Into the Fray is a twin stick shooter. The story solid and original in the Dresden Files way of "how did no one make this before." I'm pretty sure it's a one man dev team, too, which makes the games, and the frequency they come out, really impressive.

Warlander came out today, and after watching a couple of game play videos for it, looks like it could be a lot of fun. It's a semi-roguelike, stamina based, slow paced hack and slash with an emphasis on targeting attacks and cutting up enemies. The art style reminds me of Darksiders meets Hand of Fate with a little Fable thrown in. Progressing through the game is done via a Slay the Spire style branching map of items, level up spots, and arenas. The special attacks have a lot of variety to them, and the vine, which allows you to toss around enemies and objects on a giant vine whip, looks especially fun.

That said, it looks like it'll have the indie curse of "not a high enough price to justify additional content, not enough content to justify a higher price." The game play videos I watched showed the levels being all wide open spaces with small waves of enemies popping out, so I'm hoping to find some crowded areas and more chaotic situations, since action games, even slower paced ones, live and die on the ebb and flow of chaos and control. The voice acting is also dogshit, but I'm not exactly hoping for Shakespearean delivery from a $15 indie game.

I'll likely be picking it up tonight, because, screw it, I've paid more for games that looked worse, but I'm going into it cautiously. Here's a game play video for anyone who wants to see it in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey90reBmo7k

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Steam loves to try to jam steam controller appropriate settings on to everything. Right click the game and set that to “forced off” in settings and you’ll be good to go. With Prey it stopped my game from even realizing I had an Xbox controller plugged in, it was basically reading everything as M+KB inputs.

It’s so weird, when Steam realized the Steam Controller was dogshit and rightly buried it I figured they would have taken its tendrils out of everything else. At least you don’t have to go into big picture mode to change that setting anymore.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Steam loves to try to jam steam controller appropriate settings on to everything. Right click the game and set that to “forced off” in settings and you’ll be good to go. With Prey it stopped my game from even realizing I had an Xbox controller plugged in, it was basically reading everything as M+KB inputs.

It’s so weird, when Steam realized the Steam Controller was dogshit and rightly buried it I figured they would have taken its tendrils out of everything else. At least you don’t have to go into big picture mode to change that setting anymore.

Why would they do that. You can set up any controller to work with any game through the Steam overlay.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Wamdoodle posted:

Why would they do that. You can set up any controller to work with any game through the Steam overlay.

The problem is that it breaks the plug-and-play stuff for a lot of games with controllers in a way that’s really hidden and not intuitive. It’s cool that they have settings like that but they should be something you turn on yourself if you’re going to use them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Grim Dawn: christ! I was all "I found the warden's basement, good. I can save and quit and tomorrow I will kill him." and now today I'm discovering that the warden has the biggest basement ever known to mankind, complete with a bonus hidden dungeon area inside of it and it NEVER ENDS

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Grim Dawn: christ! I was all "I found the warden's basement, good. I can save and quit and tomorrow I will kill him." and now today I'm discovering that the warden has the biggest basement ever known to mankind, complete with a bonus hidden dungeon area inside of it and it NEVER ENDS

Well, he did move quite a few bodies.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

StrixNebulosa posted:

I've been playing GD with a friend for the last few days and been getting abysmal sleep because I'm doing the same and before I know it it's 1am and I need to wakeup at 6:30am. "oh lets check out this little side rift-gate and call it there, should be a quick 10 minute-r... *2 hrs later* holy god that was long"

Peewi
Nov 8, 2012

The problem is that it breaks the plug-and-play stuff for a lot of games with controllers in a way that’s really hidden and not intuitive. It’s cool that they have settings like that but they should be something you turn on yourself if you’re going to use them.

It's opt-in per controller type. It doesn't do anything to your Xbox controller if you don't enable that.

It lets me use my Switch Pro Controller on PC, so as far as I'm concerned it's great.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Peewi posted:

It's opt-in per controller type. It doesn't do anything to your Xbox controller if you don't enable that.

It lets me use my Switch Pro Controller on PC, so as far as I'm concerned it's great.

There’s some games where it does do that, though, Prey and Rocket League have both had this problem for me and other people- the Rocket League tech support page even has steps to turn it off. I’ve had it happen with some other games, though I can’t remember which ones off hand because now I at least know it exists so turning it off is a lot less memorable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Kennel posted:

Article updated:

Honest mistake (how?) or accidentally published too early?

Platinum has some big game announcement tomorrow on famitsu, so maybe they will talk/update their kickstarter goals.

Apparently they already showed a trailer for it? Maybe it was a mistake then.