Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

egg tats posted:

speaking of anime, drinking with skeletons just posted a new video reminding everyone that the only legal way to watch trigun is a lovely sub 240i DVD rip (and also some stuff about how media preservation is important or something)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Biwezb5qGSI

Hey, that's me! Thanks for posting my video so that I didn't have to do it myself. :buddy:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Just to nitpick, but the organization is Janus Films. Criterion Collection is just the label they use for home releases.

I believe Criterion Collection spun off from Janus at some point (or were always a seperate entity). They have their own entry on the New York Department of State registry, at the very least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off
Grimbeard does a review of Gorky 17

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

JordanKai posted:

Hey, that's me! Thanks for posting my video so that I didn't have to do it myself. :buddy:

It was a good video and I'm glad that someone likes Trigun as much as I do.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
It's really annoying how media industries would rather something be lost forever than lose the possibility they could continue to profit from it.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Capitalism is a disease.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Capitalism is a disease.

And yet a lot of pop media exists because of it.

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

Archer666 posted:

Wow drat how interesting. Guess it ain't that bad after all, huh.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Archer666 posted:

Most creative media exists IN SPITE OF capitalism, not because of.

Also Ladiva and cute catguys are the best part of Granblue.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

The creative and business sides of entertainment are always going to be at each other’s throats, but neither can succeed without the other. Most media costs a shitton of money to produce, and very few people are going to invest that kind of cash into anything if they don’t expect to see a return on it. Even media distributed for free online still depends on the infrastructure of the modern internet, which came about because corporations like Microsoft saw a profit in selling computers and software.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Bakeneko posted:

The creative and business sides of entertainment are always going to be at each other’s throats, but neither can succeed without the other. Most media costs a shitton of money to produce, and very few people are going to invest that kind of cash into anything if they don’t expect to see a return on it. Even media distributed for free online still depends on the infrastructure of the modern internet, which came about because corporations like Microsoft saw a profit in selling computers and software.

This does not, however, make capitalism as an economic system a necessary prerequisite to art existing. It just describes how art is created within capitalism.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

This does not, however, make capitalism as an economic system a necessary prerequisite to art existing. It just describes how art is created within capitalism.

Well art of some sort will always exist but good luck hearing about it or seeing it when it can't be widely distrubuted. And Archer666's comment wasn't about art in general, it was about pop media.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I guess the Soviet Union had no art until the Berlin Wall fell.

But on a better note, KaiserBeamz reviews the other Sonic the Hedgehog movie!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6dpQBOq6Po

Someone should buy him an account. Or, looking at this thread's history, maybe not.

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Archer666 posted:

Jamie Faith
Jan 13, 2020

Raenir Salazar posted:

It's really annoying how media industries would rather something be lost forever than lose the possibility they could continue to profit from it.

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Capitalism is a disease.

:emptyquote:

Jamie Faith fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 26, 2020

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Bakeneko posted:

Well art of some sort will always exist but good luck hearing about it or seeing it when it can't be widely distrubuted. And Archer666's comment wasn't about art in general, it was about pop media.

Yeah, I'm talking purely about pop media. Of course there are passion projects and indie stuff that gets made with blood, sweat and tears and a tiny budget or crowdfunding, but those are exceptions.

Hell considering this subject got breached because of anime: Anime itself is used regularly to sell manga/statues/mech kits/make capitalism happen. Gundam wouldn't exist if Bandai didn't want to sell some toys. The first Jojo anime anything were OVAs that started in the middle of part 3 story so people would get interested and buy the manga. I still count those as art, but those are projects that most likely wouldn't exist without Capitalism.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Bakeneko posted:

The creative and business sides of entertainment are always going to be at each other’s throats, but neither can succeed without the other.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

When you have a creative team unbridled by any sensible business policies like 'make and ship a video game in less than a decade you loving cretins', you get poo poo like Duke Nukem Forever. When you have a business that doesn't give a poo poo about creativity, well, waves hand vaguely in the direction of AAA video games

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
On the other hand, how many creative endeavours never get started because 'the market isn't right for it' or the artist is a wage slave and comes home too tired making rent to pick up that paintbrush? Art will still happen without capitalism. It'll be different art, but maybe that's a the price of killing capitalism and that's a price I will goddamn pay.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Did you only read that one sentence you quoted? I thought it was clear enough.

The creative side needs the business side because they need investment in order to produce and distribute their work, especially if it’s something as complicated and expensive to make as a movie. Meanwhile the business side needs the creative side because otherwise they wouldn’t have a product to sell.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Archer666 posted:

Hell considering this subject got breached because of anime: Anime itself is used regularly to sell manga/statues/mech kits/make capitalism happen. Gundam wouldn't exist if Bandai didn't want to sell some toys. The first Jojo anime anything were OVAs that started in the middle of part 3 story so people would get interested and buy the manga. I still count those as art, but those are projects that most likely wouldn't exist without Capitalism.

Gundam '79, while a very popular show among the older teen/college aged bracket, was famously terrible at selling toys to young boys. This lead to the show being cancelled.

Now, it just so happens that after-the-fact the companies involved learned to market products to this older fan base, and the show would have a resurgence. But Gundam's success is less an example of capitalism promoting good art so much as capitalism drat near killing it in the crib.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Schwarzwald posted:

Gundam '79, while a very popular show among the older teen/college aged bracket, was famously terrible at selling toys to young boys. This lead to the show being cancelled.

Now, it just so happens that after-the-fact the companies involved learned to market products to this older fan base, and the show would have a resurgence. But Gundam's success is less an example of capitalism promoting good art so much as capitalism drat near killing it in the crib.

You're misunderstanding me. I'm talking about the initial idea to get Gundam '79 made. It was to sell toys made by a company called Clover. Capitalism was therefore integral to the creation of Gundam. That Gundam failed its initial goal at selling toys and then got saved by creating a different product for a different market is not relevant to my point.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Archer666 posted:

I still count those as art, but those are projects that most likely wouldn't exist without Capitalism.

This is a hollow thought experiment because all specific pop art we can name "wouldn't exist without Capitalism" because if we didn't have any Capitalism we'd be living in an extremely different alternate reality where Coke would be named Klob and Pepsi would be Dr. Pepper, and Dr. Pepper would be an actual person, and everyone with facial hair would shave and everyone without facial hair would have a goatee. Of course the things that exist in our current realty exist in connection with the systems that exist in our reality, but Capitalism doesn't have some magical monopoly on enabling the existence of pop art.

Pop art has existed since time immemorable, across myriad political and economic systems. Would it look substantially different under another system, in either content or distribution? Of course. Duh. But its existence isn't contingent on Capitalism.

Hell, might as well sit here and go "well, if we do away with aristocratic patronage how will we ever get Shakespeare?!"

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

really wish they would stop milking capitalism and come up with some fresh ideas for once

Baka-nin
Jan 25, 2015

Bakeneko posted:

Even media distributed for free online still depends on the infrastructure of the modern internet, which came about because corporations like Microsoft saw a profit in selling computers and software.

No, this is not remotely how the internet came to be established. Even if you meant the physical infrastructure that allows the internet to exist, that was built off the back of the old telecommunications networks and relied on massive investment from national governments. Microsoft did not have the capital to build the internet even if it wanted to. And it very much didn't given its corporate behaviour since its founding.

Dabir posted:

When you have a creative team unbridled by any sensible business policies like 'make and ship a video game in less than a decade you loving cretins', you get poo poo like Duke Nukem Forever. When you have a business that doesn't give a poo poo about creativity, well, waves hand vaguely in the direction of AAA video games

I get what you're saying but DNF isn't a good example as that was less the creative team (who had massive turnover IIRC) and more that DNF was the personal passion project of the guy who owned the IP and the company. So he could spend years wasting everyone's time polishing and polishing and throwing the companies assets into a pit since it was his toy and his company. Its a pretty good demonstration of the problems with capital relating to art. Essentially one person could take the careers of thousands of people off a cliff without any accountability because that person was the recognised property owner.

Bakeneko posted:

Did you only read that one sentence you quoted? I thought it was clear enough.

The creative side needs the business side because they need investment in order to produce and distribute their work, especially if its something as complicated and expensive to make as a movie. Meanwhile the business side needs the creative side because otherwise they wouldnt have a product to sell.

The problem is you're equating business with production and distribution. We know this is a false association because we have multiple examples of art being produced and distributed without the business side being involved. And we have plenty of times where business actively stops art from being produced and distributed. Hell even in capitalist hellworld most of the modern media (film, television, radio, computers, internet) wouldn't be as big or as advanced as they are without massive support from governments.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

watho posted:

really wish they would stop milking capitalism and come up with some fresh ideas for once

i think it's finally time for some Hoxhaist art

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

watho posted:

I'm just sick of the current dark and gritty reboot. Maybe after this final crossover event they could go back to the days of lighthearted capitalism, at least?

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Baka-nin posted:

No, this is not remotely how the internet came to be established. Even if you meant the physical infrastructure that allows the internet to exist, that was built off the back of the old telecommunications networks and relied on massive investment from national governments. Microsoft did not have the capital to build the internet even if it wanted to. And it very much didn't given its corporate behaviour since its founding.
Nobody is disputing that governments were involved. But the internet in its current state, being used routinely by private citizens instead of just governments and other large institutions, came about because of the rise of home PCs, and that came about because private companies saw a profit in selling them. The internet would certainly still exist without those companies but I doubt it would be something most people knew or cared about, so it wouldn’t be an effective platform for distributing free media.

Baka-nin posted:

The problem is you're equating business with production and distribution. We know this is a false association because we have multiple examples of art being produced and distributed without the business side being involved. And we have plenty of times where business actively stops art from being produced and distributed. Hell even in capitalist hellworld most of the modern media (film, television, radio, computers, internet) wouldn't be as big or as advanced as they are without massive support from governments.
There are examples of things getting funded in non-traditional ways, yes, but the funding still has to come from somewhere. Money is still important no matter which way you approach it, unless you're talking about something incredably small-scale, like someone writing a novel and showing it to their friends. Donating to something on Kickstarter, for example, is just placing yourself into the role of an investor and cutting out the middleman.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

watho posted:

Capitalism...

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bakeneko posted:

There are examples of things getting funded in non-traditional ways, yes, but the funding still has to come from somewhere.
...under capitalism

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Ghostlight posted:

...under capitalism

Under everything. Remember we're only talking about large-scale media production here, not people making something in their spare time for themselves or their friends. Unless you're saying everyone involved in making a movie should just work for free?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Yeah.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

Bakeneko posted:

Unless you're saying everyone involved in making a movie should just work for free?

Given the sheer number of people every year who attempt to make filmmaking into a career despite poor job prospects, unstable pay, and high competition, evidence suggests that money is not, in fact, the primary motivator and people would absolutely do the job for free, assuming how they spent their day wasn't otherwise directly tied to their economic survival.

Basically the main reason people don't just spend their time making movies is because Capitalism demands they convert their time into money in order to not starve and die homeless.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I thought this was the joke he was making at first.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

FoldableHuman posted:

Given the sheer number of people every year who attempt to make filmmaking into a career despite poor job prospects, unstable pay, and high competition, evidence suggests that money is not, in fact, the primary motivator and people would absolutely do the job for free, assuming how they spent their day wasn't otherwise directly tied to their economic survival.

Basically the main reason people don't just spend their time making movies is because Capitalism demands they convert their time into money in order to not starve and die homeless.

But how they spend their day is always going to be tied into their economic survival. You’ve got to have some kind of job, and if it’s not in a field you enjoy then it’s just something you do to pay the bills, unless you’re already rich enough to not have to worry about that sort of thing.

I agree that lots of people mess around as a hobby making low-budget movies with their friends, but as I pointed out that kind of amateur stuff is not the topic of discussion here. Professional movies of the kind produced by Hollywood require a lot of people working full-time on them, meaning they don’t have time to be working a second job in order to eat, meaning the moviemaking itself has to pay.

Now you could argue that you don’t care about Hollywood or professional movies, and you’re fine with only watching amateur indie stuff. There’s no problem with that as a personal preference, but a lot of people don’t share that preference.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo

Bakeneko posted:

But how they spend their day is always going to be tied into their economic survival. You’ve got to have some kind of job, and if it’s not in a field you enjoy then it’s just something you do to pay the bills, unless you’re already rich enough to not have to worry about that sort of thing.

what you have to understand is that you're talking about how societies work in reality and everyone else itt is talking about some kind of Star Trek utopia

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Bonaventure posted:

what you have to understand is that you're talking about how societies work in reality and everyone else itt is talking about some kind of Star Trek utopia

A community coming together and supporting each other isn't Star Trek utopia, it's the basis of many anti-capitalist societies. It's the elimination of private property and surplus wealth and the seizure of the means of production, which is what the capitalist own and siphon from their workers. Eliminate the capitalist and you eliminate the person who makes 500 times as much as you do a hour. You eliminate the person who spends their vast wealth to ensure you stay poor and they stay wealthy. That step allows you, the worker, to benefit greatly and through direct democracy have a say in the direction of the place in which you work. After that, you can move towards eliminating wealth itself and set up a federation of communes who work to fulfill the needs of yours and other communities.

Something is impossible until it isn't. You only think so because this rugged individualist society has beaten you down so many times that think anything better isn't possible. Late-capitalism is such a hellscape that people are outright rejecting the neoliberal policy that brought us to this point and the ruling class are flipping their poo poo that a social democrat who is proposing basic safety nets and some nationalization of essential industry (while still working withing a capitalist society) is the democratic front-runner. Wait until they see what an actual communist/anarchist wants to do to the country.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey I'm just saying, love your enthusiasm but the second you overthrow the yoke I'm sitting my rear end down and collecting my coupons and rations and whenever someone knocks on my door asking to participate in some mass media production for no further benefit I'll slam the door mostly shut, because the forfeiture of property means I can't shut my door fully. I will however reach my arm out and give them a middle finger through the legally allowed gap in the door.

Bonaventure
Jun 23, 2005

by sebmojo
that middle finger belongs to the people. it is not yours to give.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'll share the expression of the middle finger with the people. A gently caress to each and every one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

JordanKai posted:

I believe Criterion Collection spun off from Janus at some point (or were always a seperate entity). They have their own entry on the New York Department of State registry, at the very least.

I really liked your video!

About Criterion: Criterion Collection Inc. has always been a separate entity. They were originally a subsidiary of an educational software company called The Voyager Company.

Janus is/was owned by the fathers of the owners of Criterion

PenguinKnight fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Feb 26, 2020