Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Big Brother new acquisition, Sanzaru Games
https://www.oculus.com/blog/welcoming-sanzaru-games-to-facebook/

Speaking of... I finally dropped Asgard Wrath, I played half an our with the elf and that's was it.

Wow, they don't even bother hiding behind the Oculus label anymore. It's just "Facebook owns them now. Stop being afraid, products customers".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Qualcomm announced a reference design VR headset based on the upgraded/latest version of their snapdragon cpu/GPU

Reference design is basically a working prototype that they will give you the technical blueprints for + engineering/driver assistance, if you agree to buy a minimum amount of their chips

I would guess that there's a 99% chance that whatever's in the snapdragon based reference design, is also what's going into Quest 2/S/Pro... Also probably very likely what's going into v3 of the HTC headsets

Think sort of like the Intel 386 and later Intel 486 reference motherboard/cpu designs that Compaq, HP, Packard Bell etc would buy, reegineer, setup manufacturing and then ultimately sell to consumers via retailers and corporate sales programs

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Inacio posted:

another outlier is poker stars - it has a surprising amount of people, but i think it's on steam/oculus (so quest too)

This and rec room probably have way bigger numbers because they are free and they’re on Steam/Oculus and PSVR. Rec room also has 2D on PC/Playstation/Mobile as well so they’ve done a ton to grow their player base.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 26, 2020

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
https://twitter.com/FarCadeCo/status/1232365895042945026?s=19

This one always impressed me when I saw it at fantastic arcade

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Qualcomm announced a reference design VR headset based on the upgraded/latest version of their snapdragon cpu/GPU

Reference design is basically a working prototype that they will give you the technical blueprints for + engineering/driver assistance, if you agree to buy a minimum amount of their chips

I would guess that there's a 99% chance that whatever's in the snapdragon based reference design, is also what's going into Quest 2/S/Pro... Also probably very likely what's going into v3 of the HTC headsets

Think sort of like the Intel 386 and later Intel 486 reference motherboard/cpu designs that Compaq, HP, Packard Bell etc would buy, reegineer, setup manufacturing and then ultimately sell to consumers via retailers and corporate sales programs

8*5 (845, 865) is more likely IMO given the long development cycle of hardware.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
Holy poo poo, just got my Amazon Warehouse Pimax 5k Plus, the viewing angle feels completely amazing on this. With the Deluxe Audio Strap and a small counterweight, the comfort is really good too. The text doesn't even distort at the very top and bottom edges of my view, only the extreme sides (and it would hurt my eyes to turn them that far instead of just turning my neck like I normally would).

Really clear visuals, huge fov, 120hz, there's not much not to like. The focal distance seems like it's maybe a bit shallow or something (taking the headset off after 30 mins it's taking me a bit to refocus on my monitor) and there's a bit of inconsistency between apps with regards to how they cope with the huge viewing angle (Big Screen has objects "pop" into rending all at once when they're coming into view from the very sides).

So far I'm playing seated stuff like Big Screen, Thumper, Tetris Effect etc and it's a big difference from the CV1 Rift or Quest, much better than any WMR I've used as well because all WMR I've used (Dell, Odyssey and Odyssey+) all have lovely sweetspots. They really did a fantastic job with the optics on this.

I've heard Index is a little more consistent with the optics but I've also heard this is still higher resolution and way wider angle than that. Anyway, first impressions are that I'm really digging it.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
OG Half-life vr mod beta is out, and looks like it has been for a little while now. https://www.halflifevr.de/ Had a quick run through just the first 10 minutes so far on a Rift S. Feels quite janky, which I spose is to be expected from a mod for a 20! year old game. In true half-life fashion ladders still seem awkward, hitting headcrabs with a crowbar can be a bit touchy, and for some reason there's a bug that doesn't allow any ammo pickups, but it's still half-life in vr and i'll be attempting to play through the whole thing.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Microsoft's now saying they're *checks notes* still commited to Windows WMR development? :confused:.

I'm honestly gonna be real charitable on this one and wonder if maybe they just decided to toss the existing hardware in the bin, uncouple from Hololens , and start from scratch based on the last 5-odd year of VR development.

Hadlock posted:

Kinda surprised they didn't toss in Lighthouse tracking too for the full kitchen sink. They're some very nice HDK's though.

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

8*5 (845, 865) is more likely IMO given the long development cycle of hardware.

I dunno, I reckon it's possible. I fully agree you're likely right, but just the seven-camera tracking ability would enable 5 locational cameras and two for mouth-tracking like their new lab headsets have.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Boneworks was great fun and I demand MORE

As soon as I really got a handle on climbing and abusing physics and not getting spooked by every voidman the game was over

how come half life alyx gotta be so far away

How come boneworks don’t support the steam workshop

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I dunno, I reckon it's possible. I fully agree you're likely right, but just the seven-camera tracking ability would enable 5 locational cameras and two for mouth-tracking like their new lab headsets have.

IMO they'd probably do well to emulate other devices and release a spec bump same-form-factor device then for the next one after that focus on key improvements like solidifying hand tracking, reducing weight (i.e. flatter lenses), and maybe adding eye tracking.

Boba Pearl
Dec 27, 2019

by Athanatos
I hate the first puzzle in Boneworks where you pull yourself along in a wall, and then you have to make a bunch of jumps, and if you gently caress up the jumps you have to pull the wall back over, climb all the way back into it, and try again. After failing the jumps 2x I decided boneworks was not for me.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

IMO they'd probably do well to emulate other devices and release a spec bump same-form-factor device then for the next one after that focus on key improvements like solidifying hand tracking, reducing weight (i.e. flatter lenses), and maybe adding eye tracking.

Oh yeah, I fully expect whatever's next is either "just" a Quest 1.5, or an open Quest/Rift S consolidation, rather than a Quest 2.0. That new chip and reference headset just has literally All The Toys Facebook has been wanting and demo'ing in the past year.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I just started Boneworks now, I left it yesterday night on the third save spot. So basically I played the intro + tutorial.

It was janky as gently caress, lol. One of those games that try to be so realistic it ends up being unrealistic. IN REAL LIFE YOU DON'T HAVE TO JUMP TO GET OVER A 20cms FLOOR DIFFERENCE!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Boba Pearl posted:

I hate the first puzzle in Boneworks where you pull yourself along in a wall, and then you have to make a bunch of jumps, and if you gently caress up the jumps you have to pull the wall back over, climb all the way back into it, and try again. After failing the jumps 2x I decided boneworks was not for me.

Most of the puzzles have multiple solutions, including that one. It's completable without dragging the wall.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Also jumping is hold-and-release for further distance, not just running and tapping.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also jumping is hold-and-release for further distance, not just running and tapping.

Also squat and hold and release for even more more height

Boneworks is weird but great

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://vimeo.com/393866625
I'm still getting used to Touch (I usually play with my Vive) so my vaulting isn't quite as good as it usually is, takes a few tries.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

So, should I pay attention to the lore bits in Boneworks, or skip them? Does it goes anywhere interesting, story-wise, with this fictional VR corp?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You can mostly ignore it.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

SCheeseman posted:

Most of the puzzles have multiple solutions, including that one. It's completable without dragging the wall.

Yeah I was having trouble with it and then I realized I could skip most of it and do it in like 1 minute. That part sucked, the game got much better after that. I imagine a lot of people were frustrated by it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

It's more fun for literally every puzzle to find a way to cheat through the puzzle instead of doing the intended solution.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

It's mostly trying to teach basic movement mechanics, though the game doesn't communicate what your body is really capable of very well. Like most of the environmental puzzles in the game it could have used a few dozen more QA passes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SCheeseman posted:

It's mostly trying to teach basic movement mechanics, though the game doesn't communicate what your body is really capable of very well. Like most of the environmental puzzles in the game it could have used a few dozen more QA passes.

I'm still surprised they didn't go as far as enabling full-body tracking, considering the focus on having an actual body in the game world.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Something I want to see is a game doing the whole immersive combat thing but with a skill system. In Boneworks, Blade & Sorcery and Saints & Sinners your strength is static. In Blade & Sorcery you're effectively superhuman, Boneworks you're a fit, strong human, in S&S you're quite weak. It makes a lot of sense to instead tie the variable a Strength skill stat, so game progression starts with you barely being able to chop up giant rats and ends with you jumping from rooftop to rooftop and uppercutting peoples heads off.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

So I want a full fledged VR port of Morrowind thank you please internet

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
skyrim vr exists and it's only a matter of time before skywind is a thing.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Doesn't do physics based anything though. Skyrim (and Oblivion) nerfed skills quite a bit too, not as fun when you can't get 65535 in acrobatics and jump so high you crash the game.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
boneworks loading is so slow and bad that i can't play it. literally can't. wmr gets wonky and does ?? something ?? when i try to continue story mode which results in the game being on my pc screen and reacting while wmr jacks itself off or some poo poo while i stare either at its loading thing or just a black screen, before rebooting without ever giving control back to steam vr. temperamental pos.

e: hell I can open the wmr menu and tell it to start steam vr im hopes i can make it switch back but nope. where's my task manager or command line to tell it to go gently caress itself ugh

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Feb 26, 2020

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Tiler Kiwi posted:

boneworks loading is so slow and bad that i can't play it. literally can't. wmr gets wonky and does ?? something ?? when i try to continue story mode which results in the game being on my pc screen and reacting while wmr jacks itself off or some poo poo while i stare either at its loading thing or just a black screen, before rebooting without ever giving control back to steam vr. temperamental pos.

e: hell I can open the wmr menu and tell it to start steam vr im hopes i can make it switch back but nope. where's my task manager or command line to tell it to go gently caress itself ugh

Do you have it installed on an SSD?

Also, try switching steamVR versions to beta or default (depending on what you use), and fully reinstalling the WMR plugin for steamVR

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Boneworks also loads particularly slow for me.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Turin Turambar posted:

So, should I pay attention to the lore bits in Boneworks, or skip them? Does it goes anywhere interesting, story-wise, with this fictional VR corp?

I guess if you’ve played duck game or hover junkers there is crossover there. They all exist in the same universe and are part of a bigger story that will presumably be continued in their next game.

However, if you’re not invested in all that, just ignore it and have fun shooting androids in the head in quasi-PortalLife

Turin Turambar posted:

Boneworks also loads particularly slow for me.

I find there are certain levels that take forever. This is on a 1tb 3D nand ssd. I’ve considered putting it on my nvme but :effort: and it’s overall not bad, just those couple of levels

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I guess if you’ve played duck game or hover junkers there is crossover there. They all exist in the same universe and are part of a bigger story that will presumably be continued in their next game.

However, if you’re not invested in all that, just ignore it and have fun shooting androids in the head in quasi-PortalLife

The lore is meh - but searching the levels for secrets and crates is real fun! Try climbing and going everywhere to see what there is to find :-D

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

AEMINAL posted:

Do you have it installed on an SSD?

Also, try switching steamVR versions to beta or default (depending on what you use), and fully reinstalling the WMR plugin for steamVR

ill reinstall some things. superhot is also crashing with a "vr stream has crashed" message so bleh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also if you think you might care about Boneworks Lore but aren’t going to go back through duck game and hover junkers then just watch this. It’s very thorough and helps contextualize a lot of stuff

Spoilers obviously if you haven’t beaten the game yet

https://youtu.be/F1MxTf8U9-I

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender
You guys were confusing me because Duck Season is the VR game made by the same developer, Duck Game is a wacky 2d pixel shooter by Adult Swim.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Oh yeah, whoops I get those confused all the time, obviously

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
playing saints and sinners, its alright but it does the same really annoying thing boneworks did where my arms in game feel like weird limp noodles, that kind of vaguely lerp to my actual arm positions with zero force. id appreciate it if my video game hands could move as fast as my actual hands when im not holding anything. in both games it makes the melee combat feel like poo poo.

e: i ditched the fire ax for just how terrible it felt to use. maybe the physics can't handle the idea of weighted objects in a natural way but an axe head moving at any speed doesn't just donk off poo poo, its awful

e2: like, its not that your arms accelerate slower in-game due to having a heavy thing, its the lack of momentum or weight to anything while also making it slow on top of it. i don't mind if my arms and in-game arms aren't in sync to allow a convincing heft to poo poo, but its like someone broke those characters wrists or something

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Feb 26, 2020

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

playing saints and sinners, its alright but it does the same really annoying thing boneworks did where my arms in game feel like weird limp noodles, that kind of vaguely lerp to my actual arm positions with zero force. id appreciate it if my video game hands could move as fast as my actual hands when im not holding anything. in both games it makes the melee combat feel like poo poo.

e: i ditched the fire ax for just how terrible it felt to use. maybe the physics can't handle the idea of weighted objects in a natural way but an axe head moving at any speed doesn't just donk off poo poo, its awful

The speed you're moving your hands isn't the speed the axe is moving at. The physics systems in all of these games outright punish you for swinging too fast by reducing momentum. Stop fighting the physics, when swinging at something mime the momentum an object you're holding would have. Start your swings slow then gently ramp up the speed, giving enough room for a large arc. The bigger and heavier the weapon, the more you have to do this.

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 26, 2020

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
its slower than I could swing the axe and that annoys me. :mad: that and the momentum feels literally non existent

ill probably just stick with one handed things but ill try it again i suppose

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tiler Kiwi posted:

its slower than I could swing the axe and that annoys me. :mad:

ill probably just stick with one handed things

The player in the game isn't you, they're weaker. On the other end of the spectrum is Blade & Sorcery, where you can uppercut people across canyons.

It's slow because you're moving too fast too quickly, perhaps not swinging it in a big enough arc. Grab it with both hands, put your arms all the way behind your back and don't just use your wrists to rotate it, put your arms into it. Try not to hit any furniture though.

Sorry for all the edits, it's admittedly hard to explain and I'm doing my best!

SCheeseman fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Feb 26, 2020