Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Have any of ya'll checked out Pete Davidson' stand up special on Netflix?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like how the one woman rolls her eyes when Picard finally says "Engage"

Love how every show now has to be 10 or more episodes exploring only one story and thus need 3 episodes before the space man is even in the space ship

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Love how every show now has to be 10 or more episodes exploring only one story and thus need 3 episodes before the space man is even in the space ship

I blame the Walking Dead.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Alhazred posted:

I blame the Walking Dead.

*spends entire seasons in a single given location*

*does absolutely nothing to develop interesting characters or stories*

*gets rid of 2/3 of the original cast*

*is the highest rated show on cable for a decade*

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Laterite posted:

*spends entire seasons in a single given location*

*does absolutely nothing to develop interesting characters or stories*

*gets rid of 2/3 of the original cast*

*is the highest rated show on cable for a decade*

Season 2 was so, so bad. I thought they were at the farm for months, but I guess it was supposed to take place over like two weeks?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

In the comics that was like, an afternoon. I don't know how anyone kept watching once they had such an obvious filler season.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

In the comics that was like, an afternoon. I don't know how anyone kept watching once they had such an obvious filler season.

I gave up on like episode 6, then went back and watched the one that had the guy from Terriers that wasn’t Donal Logue. Then I was just mad there wasn’t more terriers.

TWD season 1 was a blast but that show poo poo the bed so hard after that, it’s really disappointing. It wasn’t even the fun kind of bad, it was just insanely slow and boring.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
My wife would binge TWD seasons on Netflix a few years ago and the best part was thinking about personal zombie outbreak plans and the strange zombie stress dreams I would occasionally get.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Season 2 was so, so bad. I thought they were at the farm for months, but I guess it was supposed to take place over like two weeks?

S2 was AMC trying to cut as much from the budget as possible because for some reason it being super popular meant they had to save as much money as possible on it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I remember before the show came out, people were upset when the comics spent so much time at the prison, but I feel like that was one of the most solid parts of the comic. It felt completely meandering and repetitive after that, especially once they got to Alexandria and it was like only three plots on a continuous loop.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

muscles like this! posted:

S2 was AMC trying to cut as much from the budget as possible because for some reason it being super popular meant they had to save as much money as possible on it.

They could have at least had some dialogue or something indicating how much time passed. I was confused why they were still looking for the kid that was obviously dead for so long. I guess that would have tipped me off to the short amount of time on a better written show, but everything else around it gave the impression they had been at the farm for ages.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Season 1 itself wasn't even that good. Arguably the worst thing Frank Darabont's been associated with.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I still watch it and the spin off. And soon the 2nd spin off.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

I feel like this was something to do with the budget Matthew Weiner had negotiated for Mad Men at around the same time?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

The Clowner posted:

Season 1 itself wasn't even that good. Arguably the worst thing Frank Darabont's been associated with.

Yeah, I quit watching in (I think) season 4 and that entire time there were two episodes I would call unequivocally good. And one of them was the pilot. I think the other one was when they revisited Lennie James' character from the pilot, come to think of it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69GjaVWeGQM&t=170s

That is a very interesting tidbit

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

GreenNight posted:

I still watch it and the spin off. And soon the 2nd spin off.

This week's episode was great and set in one of my favourite nightmare settings: trapped deep in underground tunnels.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

pahuyuth posted:

Have any of ya'll checked out Pete Davidson' stand up special on Netflix?

I did! I had a good time, he's a goofy entity so I enjoy him even if some of his material seems anachronistic, like poo poo you'd joke about in middle/high school in 2003. I loved the Louis CK bit a bunch. His stuff about Ariana Grande had me cracking up hard. Especially the bit about how people would react if he spray painted himself brown and went on a magazine to poo poo on his ex, like she did. I also always enjoy hearing about the innerworkings of SNL.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

:lol:

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I think Gentified is one of the hidden gems of this year already.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/adambvary/status/1232737796768428033

Harrison Ford gives his least interested performance to date

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/adambvary/status/1232737796768428033

Harrison Ford gives his least interested performance to date

He's going to have to try hard to top, er uh, bottom out? his performance in TFA.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

If you think Force Awakens is even close to the worst Harrison Ford performance you haven't seen a lot of his recent films.

Ender's Game, more like "sleepy grandpa ruins film".

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Lurdiak posted:

If you think Force Awakens is even close to the worst Harrison Ford performance you haven't seen a lot of his recent films.

Ender's Game, more like "sleepy grandpa ruins film".

He's got that new CGI dog poo poo coming out soon.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

I have not!

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

He was good in BR2049

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arist posted:

He was good in BR2049

Yeah! He was really tryin'.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Harrison Ford is the dude I'd be least surprised to see a 100% CG version of on screen while the actor is still alive and able to work, but doesn't care enough to.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

Arist posted:

He was good in BR2049

He was just ok. That movie was loving amazing in spite of him, not because of him.

Also daaaamn, looking at his IMDB credits he hasn't done a good film since 2002ish

I'm ignoring Star Wars TFA because that's not an argument any of us wants.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I liked him in 2049, and the movie overall, but I do feel like the entire movie would have been stronger without any direct connections to the original. Just another detective on another case in the same universe.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

2049 was good yeah but wow, he's been in a whole lot of nothing good for almost 20 years.

Not even anything objectively bad but that I still love like Air Force One.

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Crystal Skull was objectively bad.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Chairman Capone posted:

I liked him in 2049, and the movie overall, but I do feel like the entire movie would have been stronger without any direct connections to the original. Just another detective on another case in the same universe.

I don't understand why people say this about 2049, the entire movie is built off the first one. It's okay not to like that, but when you say "it should have been unconnected" you're not even really criticizing 2049 so much as imagining a completely different movie with a different story and characters.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
It really was. Also unnecessary like this new one will be. The only reason I saw crystal skull was Cate Blanchett but even she couldn't save it.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Chairman Capone posted:

2049 was not really extricable from its predecessor in any way so this opinion really baffles me. Also Ford hasn't done anything good since the nineties.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Literally anyone is better than Iger.

I get why people hated Michael Eisner and were glad he left because at the end of his tenure he was basically single-handedly responsible for the company becoming a shell of its former self, but I really don't get the animosity towards Iger aside from generic nerd rage about the insanely successful and popular stuff made under his direction.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Sleeveless posted:

I get why people hated Michael Eisner and were glad he left because at the end of his tenure he was basically single-handedly responsible for the company becoming a shell of its former self, but I really don't get the animosity towards Iger aside from generic nerd rage about the insanely successful and popular stuff made under his direction.

Iger never seemed to be able to run Parks efficiently without emptying the bank somewhere else. Shanghai was a hugely expensive park and as a result the parks at World took the brunt of the expense. There’s multiple popular high-capacity rides at Magic Kingdom that are literally held together with duct tape and hope. He never gave a poo poo about castmembers at the parks either, with the union being effectively useless under his tenure.

Iger also never seemed to give a poo poo about allowing his creatives to have the proper time and resources to do what they wanted. He was the major driving force behind Star Wars initially adopting a Marvel style 1-per-year movie schedule, despite receiving pushback on it from nearly every single person at Lucasfilm. He insisted on Rogue One hitting its initial release date despite Gareth Edward’s reshooting schedule. He insisted on Solo’s release date despite Lord & Miller’s dismissal and The Last Jedi coming out just six months prior. He insisted on TROS coming out in 2019 despite losing Carrie Fisher and Trevorrow not knowing how to do the script without her. He went over Kennedy’s head to select JJ Abrams to direct, and then he still insisted on the 2019 date despite Abrams and Terrio having only 6 months to finish preproduction. All of these decisions were made so that he’d have feathers in his cap in time for his planned departure in 2020/21.

This is not me grinding an axe over pointless nerd poo poo, this is Iger being an empty suit businessman trying to tick off checkmarks on his list to try and establish some kind of legacy for himself instead of running the company well. Marvel and Star Wars have made Disney a poo poo ton of money, but Iger had little to do with that beyond purchasing those companies. His entire legacy at Disney is built upon the work of others succeeding in spite of his constant boneheaded decisions. Eisner was a self-serving rear end in a top hat too, but you could at least tell the man had a genuine vision at times.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
Hunters has one of the worst endings I've seen since Dexter. I really wish it ended at episode 9 because it was a decently entertaining show with a few drat cool characters like Murray and Mindy. Then episode 10 takes a massive poo poo all over the premise with insanely bad twists out of nowhere!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wow. The Kung Fu Reboot sounds incredibly lame:

quote:

“A quarter-life crisis causes a young Chinese-American woman, Nicky Chen, to drop out of college and go on a life-changing journey to an isolated monastery in China. But when she returns to find her hometown overrun with crime and corruption, Nicky uses her martial arts skills and Shaolin values to protect her community and bring criminals to justice — all while searching for the assassin who killed her Shaolin mentor and is now targeting her."

So... taking away literally everything interesting about it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Ewww. I've wanted a Kung Fu reboot for a long time but not one like that