Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

gcc is probably the biggest problem there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

clang is a mature alternative now though. version 9+ can build the kernel

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

fork it into the trash where it belongs

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

lldb is still lacking in many ways compared to gdb though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

fsf the organization has not been relevant for ages, including when it comes to leadership on licenses, so there is no real need to do anything except remember that.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Yeah great idea let's kill GCC so that llvm can immediately turn into a useless lovely """community edition""" and all the actual optimization passes require a commercial license from Apple

Imagine if KHTML had been MIT licensed. The world would look very different today.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sapozhnik posted:

Yeah great idea let's kill GCC so that llvm can immediately turn into a useless lovely """community edition""" and all the actual optimization passes require a commercial license from Apple

Imagine if KHTML had been MIT licensed. The world would look very different today.

i do enjoy this parallel universe where i apparently have the power to cancel arbitrary projects at will. i'd like to do node next please

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
I've said it before but I want to see the gnu free linux, made with llvm, systemd and powershell

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
LLVM is corporate oss. If the corporate owner of the project takes all subsequent contributions proprietary then that's the end of that project. WeedGoku420, age 16, from xda-developers, isn't going to pick up and maintain a competitive compiler suite.

On the other hand Apple borged KHTML and completely displaced the original dev team in terms of contributions but they are still forced to play nice because of the LGPL. They could not legally steal it and lock it exclusively inside iOS.

Also they literally tried to pull this poo poo with Objective C support for gcc back in the days of next but got slapped down. Iirc they tried to argue that obfuscated C was "source code". I wonder why the GCC project is so hostile to third party plugins potentially acting in bad faith?

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 26, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I got unraid going. it’s simple drag and drop disks beep boop now you’re raiding with power. however I also dragged and dropped one of the disks onto my basement floor and now it has read errors so I might get to learn how to swap a disk right away.

I’m the most shameful home nas janitor

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
You bring dishonour to your ancestors.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got unraid going. it’s simple drag and drop disks beep boop now you’re raiding with power. however I also dragged and dropped one of the disks onto my basement floor and now it has read errors so I might get to learn how to swap a disk right away.

I’m the most shameful home nas janitor

put a SSD in as a cache drive

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
llvm does not have a "corporate owner", no single company is contributing a majority of new work, and it's a perfectly acceptable compiler in its current state with all the irrevocably licensed code it already has, so even if someone picked up their ball and went home the project would still get along just fine. if almost all the current contributors left then yeah the project would probably die but that's literally true of every software project, including gcc, which is not in fact dominated by volunteers

not that i have any interest in killing gcc anyway

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Matt Zerella posted:

put a SSD in as a cache drive

I'd have to pull one of the active drives to do it, which would reduce capacity, wouldnt it? Or do cache drives count towards capacity?

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
so wait - under this metaphor, rms' resignation was an inside job engineered by...rms?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The_Franz posted:

lldb is still lacking in many ways compared to gdb though

the only real lack is they keep inventing new DWARF record types that lldb doesn't understand

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

secondly, the 4/110 sucked real bad. the good vme sparcs that they would have been targeting with the "ux" products were the big desksides -- 4/470, 670mp, etc. 2nd and 3rd gen equipment. the 4/110 was like the roadrunner. it was almost a customer-facing beta product.

eh, the UX products didn’t exactly use a high bandwidth connection to the host, so a 4/110—or even a 3-series—is pretty much fine

they literally use their own variant of Sun RPC, via a shared memory mailbox, for all interaction including networking and block storage

at least with the MacIvory they both did that and also acted as NuBus bus masters and could talk directly the National Semiconductor RAM cards and to a dedicated NuBus network card; the lifesupport just tells the Lisp bootstrap about what cards are in the Mac and not excluded from LispM access, and Genera just uses them directly

that means it’d even be feasible to modify the MacIvory lifesupport—if I can get the right version of Lightspeed C—to support multiple MacIvory in one Mac

it’d even be theoretically feasible (if the MacIvory memory controller doesn’t absolutely require 24-bit addressing, which is a bit of a risk) to port the lifesupport forward to PowerPC and allow use of a MacIvory in a NuBus PowerMac

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

The_Franz posted:

clang is a mature alternative now though. version 9+ can build the kernel

we just need to add the architectures, binary formats, and calling conventions that clang and lld don’t currently support and everyone can get off of GCC

for architectures, 68K and 88K, a few older SPARC variants, VAX

for binary formats just a few more COFF and ELF variants are really needed, maybe in combination with some custom a.out

and then for calling conventions there’s like GCC 2.x C++ ABI (Haiku-BeOS bincompat), MIPSPro C++ ABI (IRIX bincompat), 68K Amiga, Atari, Mac, and BSD ABIs (since they’re all different from the SVR4 ABI)

it’s not at all intractable, just reimplementation work that’s already pretty well-supported within the LLVM/clang/lld codebase, and would eliminate pretty much any need for GCC in projects like NetBSD, OpenBSD, or Haiku

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
alternatively those projects could just drop support for medieval architectures

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

no one *seriously* suggested we somehow get rid of gcc, the main thing going on is that the fsf is terrible and irrelevant.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
yeah the unfortunate thing is that the fsf owns the copyrights on gcc, so they still have the upper hand there, but could always fork from GPLv3 if necessary

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
don't forget they also own binutils, bash, coreutils, and basically like half of Linux's command-line userspace

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I'd have to pull one of the active drives to do it, which would reduce capacity, wouldnt it? Or do cache drives count towards capacity?

if you're on a full ssd array then no, dont worrya bout it.

its more of an invisible SSD cache and you can run your dockers off of it. theres a mover that moves the files onto the spinning rust nightly, and its all transparent. so it doesnt really count towards storage.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Suspicious Dish posted:

yeah the unfortunate thing is that the fsf owns the copyrights on gcc, so they still have the upper hand there, but could always fork from GPLv3 if necessary

This shouldn't matter, unless the new fork intentionally wants to make non-free changes, in which case "lol gently caress off."

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

hobbesmaster posted:

gcc has been forked due to fsf intransigence before, it can be forked again

(the current gcc branch is actually the rebel fork from years ago -- egcs)

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
But I don't think fsf or gnu need to die. There are plenty of not poo poo people in the free software movement. Just sucks that the loudest and grossest are in positions of power in these orgs. I think it's easier to go through a bit of reform then it is to try and upheave the entire movement.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
it's good that something like the fsf exists, but if the fsf is poorly governed or what have you, well, it's replcaceable.

welcome, founding members, to the free software lobby and library, fsll

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I wouldn’t mind GCC being kaput if it meant everybody switched to a compiler that offered more true freedom

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Poopernickel posted:

don't forget they also own binutils, bash, coreutils, and basically like half of Linux's command-line userspace

and nothing of value was lost

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

half a dozen curiously apple guys talking about real freedoms and how llvm isn't actually corporately owned

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker
The vast majority of LLVM work is done by corporations, but they are all competitors, so it's hard to imagine them colluding on anything. It doesn't matter much that it's "owned" by them.

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
If it isn’t a problem that GCC is owned by pedo-supporting FSF it shouldn’t be a problem that LLVM is owned by non-pedo-supporting Apple.

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe

klafbang posted:

If it isn’t a problem that GCC is owned by pedo-supporting FSF it shouldn’t be a problem that LLVM is owned by non-pedo-supporting Apple.

That’s not true and you’re a dick for spreading it

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

important update

https://twitter.com/mjg59/status/1232809291209248768?s=21

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

ah yes who could forget 2000-09-11

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Xik posted:

But I don't think fsf or gnu need to die. There are plenty of not poo poo people in the free software movement. Just sucks that the loudest and grossest are in positions of power in these orgs. I think it's easier to go through a bit of reform then it is to try and upheave the entire movement.

there's two side to this: a bunch of software projects which really aren't affiliated with the fsf/gnu in such a deep way that this is likely to matter to them (e.g. gcc has not been driven by gnu since the egcs split, really everything except possibly emacs), and the license and evangelism side.

demonstrating a bit of a lack of my own convictions and principles reading (links from) the wernher von braun thread has made me switch from the opinion "actually mit/bsd seems sufficient to make open source work in this day and age, copyleft appears a cumbersome relic" to the opinion "actually there is room for much more activism on the copyleft side and the fsf/osi are forces undermining such improvements".

so i've kind of flipped from "irrelevant" to "bad".

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

I wouldn’t mind GCC being kaput if it meant everybody switched to a compiler that offered more true freedom

“true freedom” meaning a license your employers legal team deems valuable

Apple is not a good open sores community member. y’all make oracle and ibm look really good by comparison

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Athas posted:

The vast majority of LLVM work is done by corporations, but they are all competitors, so it's hard to imagine them colluding on anything. It doesn't matter much that it's "owned" by them.

this is definitely true for openjdk, but to make that possible openjdk has a consortium with a governance board to arbitrate disputes among vendors and the outside community.

llvm is essentially “apple and some hobbyists”

I will happily use clang for hobby projects but I wouldn’t bet my business on it

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

unlike well known business incompetents Google, Sony Computer Entertainment, Microsoft, and IBM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
i’m pretty sure google has been the largest contributor to llvm for years now. the companies above are all significant contributors, but there are plenty of others; e.g. i’ve spent the last few years reviewing lines of patches from a couple different groups at amd. i see relatively little from hobbyists, probably because anyone who can write a patch and wants to get a job in compilers can get one in seconds

like everything else at apple, our approach to open source varies hugely from team to team. there are large parts of the company that aren’t good citizens in my mind but i don’t think that’s a fair criticism for the compiler teams, or webkit, or a few others

rjmccall fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Feb 27, 2020