Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The problem is that it breaks the plug-and-play stuff for a lot of games with controllers in a way that’s really hidden and not intuitive. It’s cool that they have settings like that but they should be something you turn on yourself if you’re going to use them.

I agree with you there. Some game don't know how to handle it and they pick up both KB/ M and controller inputs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Grim Dawn: christ! I was all "I found the warden's basement, good. I can save and quit and tomorrow I will kill him." and now today I'm discovering that the warden has the biggest basement ever known to mankind, complete with a bonus hidden dungeon area inside of it and it NEVER ENDS
Man, don't remind me of the time we had to help my great-grandma move. I swear I found at least three dead cats in there.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Grim Dawn: christ! I was all "I found the warden's basement, good. I can save and quit and tomorrow I will kill him." and now today I'm discovering that the warden has the biggest basement ever known to mankind, complete with a bonus hidden dungeon area inside of it and it NEVER ENDS

I'm pretty sure the warden's basement is larger than the town where his house is situated, it's hilarious. Grim Dawn has a lot of the great "epic journey" feel that Titan Quest did but one of the consequences is that logical scale just doesn't exist.

There will come a time when you are asked to visit a nearby farm, and several hours later you will realize the questgiver just does not understand what words mean.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ulio posted:

Platinum has some big game announcement tomorrow on famitsu, so maybe they will talk/update their kickstarter goals.

Apparently they already showed a trailer for it? Maybe it was a mistake then.

It's a kaiju-fighting game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6inZzkZmiI

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Apparently this just came out.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/912570/BEAUTIFUL_DESOLATION/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDXZ_hsHUVw

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'm pretty sure the warden's basement is larger than the town where his house is situated, it's hilarious. Grim Dawn has a lot of the great "epic journey" feel that Titan Quest did but one of the consequences is that logical scale just doesn't exist.

There will come a time when you are asked to visit a nearby farm, and several hours later you will realize the questgiver just does not understand what words mean.

The farm was “nearby” before thousands upon thousands of outlaws, skeletons, cosmic abominations, and angry bees appeared on the road there

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Wasteland Remastered is out, and looks like a cool version of an old game. Reviews are good, but it's mixed because????

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FutureCop posted:

It was a while ago but the same thing happened to me. I think it had something to do with Steam Big Picture or whatever they call it selecting a default controller layout which wasn't good and used the right joystick as a 'mouse' instead of a 'move', if I recall correctly. Try going into steam big picture and either tweak the controller setup or change the controller profile it loads to something else.

Thanks! For some reason I needed to access the Steam overlay in-game and change controller settings from there, the dark souls 3 preset (which did have tight stick assigned to mouse for some
ungodly reason) was overriding the global controller config in steam settings. Works great now though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wasteland Remastered is out, and looks like a cool version of an old game. Reviews are good, but it's mixed because????

Phone browser is showing me it’s at 69 percent positive reviews, which is juuuuust under Mostly Positive.

It should just say “Nice” when that happens.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Store got some new search features.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
GoG just changed their refund policy....

https://www.pcgamer.com/gogs-new-refund-policy-is-way-more-generous-than-steams/

Refund up to 30 days after purchase regardless of play time.

Crazy. Your turn steam.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StrixNebulosa posted:

There's a bunch of reviews in German complaining that character creation is broken if you play it in German.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

After watching that trailer, I have no idea what kind of game this is supposed to be! Does look somewhat interesting.

The reviews - all 2 of them - are good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Harminoff posted:

https://www.pcgamer.com/gogs-new-refund-policy-is-way-more-generous-than-steams/

Crazy. Your turn steam.

Hope they always use actual people instead of The Algorithm then or there's gonna be a lot of :airquote: demoing

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Harminoff posted:

Crazy. Your turn steam.

I'd be surprised if they had a way to track playtime seeing as they're DRM free. Looks like before this change they were checking if you had downloaded the game already from them.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Ciaphas posted:

Hope they always use actual people instead of The Algorithm then or there's gonna be a lot of :airquote: demoing

I think this would be fine if it was GOG eating the cost but if they are just pulling it from the devs it's probably not great for indie devs :shobon:

Edit:Meh, marginal sales you wouldn't have made otherwise probably balance out the handful of shady characters that theoretically take advantage of refund policies like this and there is no way to tell how much GOG will use their discretion to refuse refunds.
It's a marketing strategy to pull sales from Steam that gives them a lot of leeway to refuse refunds. People that just want to play games and not pay can already easily pirate DRM free GOG games.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 27, 2020

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Cardiovorax posted:

Thanks for remembering. That does sound pretty good, so I think once my next paycheck comes around, I'm going to order one on Amazon. Just try it for a week, see how it works for me. I can always send it back if it doesn't fit me.

No prob. If you end up getting something other than the Logi (I hear Anker's $20 special isn't bad, for example) I'd like to hear about it.

My wrist is very slightly annoyed about using a trackball at work, now that I've tried a vertical mouse!

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

StrixNebulosa posted:

Probably because just like Bards Tale, they throw a fresh coat of paint over top of nostalgia. Wasteland is notorious for being overly bad about menu selection for the slightest character action or inventory management and they didn't address that for babby gamers of today. It plays just fine, if you know you're playing a 30 year old game with said fresh paint. It's classic RPG right down to the interface with super emphasis on story. It's aged but enjoyable if that's what you want.

I just finished Might and Magic 1 - 9 after many months. A Wasteland remaster is heaven compared to MM 1 - 5.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

This looks pretty neat, has anybody tried it yet? It only has a few reviews on the steam page

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Ciaphas posted:

No prob. If you end up getting something other than the Logi (I hear Anker's $20 special isn't bad, for example) I'd like to hear about it.

My wrist is very slightly annoyed about using a trackball at work, now that I've tried a vertical mouse!
Will do! There is this weird regular mouse-thumb trackball combination thing called the MX Ergo that Amazon also just recommended to me. If the wankmouse does not work out, I might grab one just to play around with it.

Anker does some good cheap electronics. I bought a pair of Anker true wireless headphones just recently and for under fifty dollars, they are some of the best I've owned yet. If you feel like experimenting, you can probably do worse.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

This looks pretty neat, has anybody tried it yet? It only has a few reviews on the steam page

ACG has a review up for it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fllfuMMbt-4

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Thanks, game looks good. Might wait for a sale price but I'm gonna throw it on the wishlist.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

I assume it's because wasteland hates you and they didn't do anything to alleviate that. If you want that type of game, it's something you'll enjoy, but otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
So, Anthem is $9 on the Humble Store. I know it's not great and my understanding is that it's very over-mmo-ized, but $9 to me is the level of "can it be fun for 10 hours?" I just want to fly around and shoot things. I really enjoy ME3 multiplayer and Destiny 2, would I find it fun at all or is it just a total dud?

Orv
May 4, 2011

OzFactor posted:

So, Anthem is $9 on the Humble Store. I know it's not great and my understanding is that it's very over-mmo-ized, but $9 to me is the level of "can it be fun for 10 hours?" I just want to fly around and shoot things. I really enjoy ME3 multiplayer and Destiny 2, would I find it fun at all or is it just a total dud?

The flying is fun, the skills are fun, the shooting is mediocre in the extreme and then nothing else about it is good, at all.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

OzFactor posted:

I'd say it's worth $1 because the flying is kinda neat.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

Grapplejack posted:

I assume it's because wasteland hates you and they didn't do anything to alleviate that. If you want that type of game, it's something you'll enjoy, but otherwise you're going to have a bad time.

Not only that but they didn't implement macros, the one thing that made this clunky 80's game a bit less tedious.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

OzFactor posted:

it's total dogshit lol

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I had thought the game was an rpg but this guy says its more of a point and click. That's a shame because it looks like Fallout 1/2 graphically. No character creation/extensive rpg bits is a bummer.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

OzFactor posted:

Anthem is absolutely a total dud. It's a technical nightmare and the shooting is just frustrating, especially if you're solo.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Gotta say, I'm tempted to throw $9 at the thing just in case the FFXIV-esque rework they're now promising actually pans out

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OutOfPrint posted:

I love the Skautfold games on paper more than in practice, but they're all definitely worth a play, particularly because they're all different genres. Shrouded In Sanity plays like Dark Souls meets Streets of Rage, and Into the Fray is a twin stick shooter. The story solid and original in the Dresden Files way of "how did no one make this before." I'm pretty sure it's a one man dev team, too, which makes the games, and the frequency they come out, really impressive.

The fourth game is currently in early access.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

OzFactor posted:

The flying is wonderful, to be honest. I got it for free with my graphics card and enjoyed it for what it was, but yeah it's not a great game. I think you'd easily get $9 worth of fun out of it, even just by doing all the solo stuff. The loot is dull for the most part, but I had fun just zipping around and trying to hit all the watery bits to cool the suit and keep flying.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Where's my Rune Factory 4 Special for PC aaaaAAAAAAAAHHHHHH

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I played a few minutes of Anthem via an EA Access trial and had I spent any amount of money on it, I would have felt ripped off. "Greetings, (common noun so we don't have to give you an actual voiced name or any voiced naming options)" in particular is a minor annoyance but a thing that Bioware needed to stop doing like three games ago.

CLARPUS
Apr 3, 2008
Seeing that.
Seeing as.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Thanks, game looks good. Might wait for a sale price but I'm gonna throw it on the wishlist.

I did the same, and I also noticed that they have a game done in a similar way released in 2015 called STASIS. But it's a horror sci fi aboard a space craft instead of post-apocalyptic Africa. So I would assume it's a bit smaller in scale than Beautiful Desolation.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/380150/STASIS/

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Gromit posted:

The flying is wonderful, to be honest. I got it for free with my graphics card and enjoyed it for what it was, but yeah it's not a great game. I think you'd easily get $9 worth of fun out of it, even just by doing all the solo stuff. The loot is dull for the most part, but I had fun just zipping around and trying to hit all the watery bits to cool the suit and keep flying.

drat, I had never actually seen the game in action so I watched some flying footage and the game world looks absolutely gorgeous and perfect for flying around in. It's such a bummer when a game has artists that are obviously putting in a ton of work and doing an incredible job, and the designers can't come up with anything more than "I dunno, you shoot things to get guns with bigger numbers?"

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Triarii posted:

drat, I had never actually seen the game in action so I watched some flying footage and the game world looks absolutely gorgeous and perfect for flying around in. It's such a bummer when a game has artists that are obviously putting in a ton of work and doing an incredible job, and the designers can't come up with anything more than "I dunno, you shoot things to get guns with bigger numbers?"

Good news, you don't need guns with bigger numbers in Anthem.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

I know, it's almost literally just guns with bigger numbers on them, and not even guns that are more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

CLARPUS posted:

I did the same, and I also noticed that they have a game done in a similar way released in 2015 called STASIS. But it's a horror sci fi aboard a space craft instead of post-apocalyptic Africa. So I would assume it's a bit smaller in scale than Beautiful Desolation.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/380150/STASIS/

They also have a free companion game to STASIS called CAYNE, if you want a taste right now. I didn’t care for it but it could be worth a try.