Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How long until The.Day.The.Clown.Cried.1972.CAM-1XBET

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm already registering r/daytheclowncriedmememes.

ringu0
Feb 24, 2013

Criterion is having a flash sale

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1232351463751417859

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Bought a few movies today, here, have some digital copies

Frozen 2: 1ZIGQ8ELXXX
Knives Out: CN193ZPTYCV3B1S3

Hot Dog: The Movie, the last disc I bought, does not include a digital copy. Sorry to disappoint.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

ultraviolence123 posted:

Hot Dog: The Movie, the last disc I bought, does not include a digital copy. Sorry to disappoint.

I redeemed Frozen 2, which will make my wife happy, and me miserable. Thanks!
EDIT:

Basically this image from her:

IUG fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Feb 26, 2020

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Not a movie, but I just found out about this today and had to buy it: https://mondoshop.com/products/freaked-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp

It'll have to tide me over until we get a proper Freaked blu ray. Alex Winter was recently talking on twitter about how he's trying to make it a reality, he even said they'd throw The Idiot Box in with it. But I'll believe it when I see it.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ultraviolence123 posted:

Knives Out: CN193ZPTYCV3B1S3

Went to grab Knives Out but it had already been taken.

Folks, it's been considered sporting in this thread to say when you've claimed a code.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

King Vidiot posted:

It'll have to tide me over until we get a proper Freaked blu ray.

Why are you trying to hurt me?

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Has anyone actually been able to walk into a Best Buy and buy the Knives Out steelbook? Neither of my stores had it even though there’s a spot for it on the shelf. It’s not sold out either, the employees I asked said they hadn’t even seen it stocked on the shelf.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Has anyone actually been able to walk into a Best Buy and buy the Knives Out steelbook? Neither of my stores had it even though there’s a spot for it on the shelf. It’s not sold out either, the employees I asked said they hadn’t even seen it stocked on the shelf.

Ask them to go check in the back. I don't know about this steelbook specifically but my Best Buy has a track record of not putting everything out on the day it's actually supposed to be there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Why are you trying to hurt me?

Dude, my Freaked Special Edition DVD is getting bit rot, I need a replacement before the disc becomes totally unreadable. And I need The Idiot Box in a better format than 320x240 VHS rips on YouTube. So I'm right there with ya :(

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

King Vidiot posted:

Dude, my Freaked Special Edition DVD is getting bit rot, I need a replacement before the disc becomes totally unreadable. And I need The Idiot Box in a better format than 320x240 VHS rips on YouTube. So I'm right there with ya :(

Why not pay just an absurd markup for the previous blu-ray?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Why not just image your DVD to an ISO and either burn a replacement, or get a Kodi instance and play it that way. I did that with my DVDs years ago. By then, I already had a few DVDs I lost to bit rot and couldn't rip.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

There’s also a HD copy online, Amazon I think? It exists I know that much but I’ve not checked quality. It’s probably not much better than a dvd.

E: my bad looks like just the Blu-ray. 23gb for the video file so at least it’s not utterly bitstarved even if the transfer isn’t solid.

EL BROMANCE fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 26, 2020

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

King Vidiot posted:

Not a movie, but I just found out about this today and had to buy it: https://mondoshop.com/products/freaked-original-motion-picture-soundtrack-2xlp
Where've you been, I've been screaming at Mondo for three years straight after they originally announced it. It's a beautiful release, though. You're in for a treat.

King Vidiot posted:

It'll have to tide me over until we get a proper Freaked blu ray. Alex Winter was recently talking on twitter about how he's trying to make it a reality, he even said they'd throw The Idiot Box in with it. But I'll believe it when I see it.
Who knows? They're managing a second 35mm screening of it in London, so maybe the locked-in-the-Disney-vault status is a little more loose with a property they probably don't even know exists.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
poo poo, that region free Second Sight release of When a Stranger Calls/Back was a limited edition and going for dumb money now, ugh.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

Where've you been, I've been screaming at Mondo for three years straight after they originally announced it. It's a beautiful release, though. You're in for a treat.

It may have been mentioned in this very thread, but I missed it somehow. Still, it was an instant purchase for me. And I made that backup of my DVD discs, dunno why it took me so long to do.

Then I tested the disc 1 image, and just hearing the title theme on the main menu made me realize I made the right choice buying that soundtrack.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ouch my wallet.

I just bought Lone Wolf and Cub, The Princess Bride, and the Showa Godzilla set :negative:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Australia feeling left out of the boutique market, Viavision just started a new [IMPRINT] label that seems to mimic UK's Indicator:
http://www.imprintfilms.com.au

Looks like they're all Paramount licenses. Shout! Factory released The Duellists years ago, but it's OOP. I'd expect these to come to the US eventually as The Criterion Channel has been playing all but Waterloo and The Duellists lately.

First releases coming out on May 27, 2020:

The War of the Worlds (1953)
NEW 4K restoration from the original camera negative
NEW Audio commentary by film critics Barry Forshaw & Kim Newman
NEW remastered Dolby 5.1 surround remix
Audio commentary by actor Gene Barry and actress Ann Robinson
Audio commentary by “fans” Joe Dante, Bob Burns and Bill Warren
Original English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
“The Sky is Falling: Making “War of the Worlds” documentary
“H.G. Wells: The Father of Science Fiction” featurette
“The Mercury Theater on the Air Presents: The War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast” (with stills of Orson Welles)
Theatrical trailer
Limited Edition slipcase on the first 1500 copies

Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)
1080p presentation of the film on Blu-ray
NEW Audio commentary by noir expert and Film Noir Foundation board member Alan K. Rode
Eddie Muller Introduction (Previously Unreleased)
Hold The Phone: The Making Of “Sorry Wrong Number” (Previously Unreleased)
“Sorry Wrong Number” Radio Play
Theatrical Trailer

I Married a Monster from Outer Space (1958)
LPCM 2.0 audio options
Optional English subtitles
Theatrical Trailer
Limited Edition slipcase on the first 1000 copies

The Duellists (1977)
Audio commentary with director Ridley Scott
Audio commentary with composer Howard Blake
Isolated Score
Interview with actor Keith Carradine
Duelling Directors: Ridley Scott and Kevin Reynolds interview
Photo and Poster Gallery

Waterloo (1970)
NEW Video Interview with film historian Sheldon Hall
Theatrical Trailer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I would love a copy of War of the Worlds, but their site doesn't say if it's region free or not :negative:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

I would love a copy of War of the Worlds, but their site doesn't say if it's region free or not :negative:

Looking at Blu-ray.com, ViaVision/Madman seem to go region free whenever possible, but all Paramount licenses for US and UK labels have been region locked so far except for a few Republic titles released by Arrow.

I've always found it strange how Paramount, Universal, and Warner require region locking on boutique releases considering they release region free discs themselves. Though, even Indicator has had to switch to locking Sony titles.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Basebf555 posted:

Ask them to go check in the back. I don't know about this steelbook specifically but my Best Buy has a track record of not putting everything out on the day it's actually supposed to be there.

Steelbooks tend to sell out a lot at my local Best Buy.

If there’s a movie I like and I’m pretty sure I’m going to want a steelbook of it, I’ll check bestbuy.com a week or two after it comes out in theatres and they’ll usually have the steelbook listed for preorder if there’s going to be one.
Since it doesn’t cost anything extra to preorder stuff, I’ll just preorder the steelbook and then I’m guaranteed to get it.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Xenomrph posted:

Steelbooks tend to sell out a lot at my local Best Buy.

If there’s a movie I like and I’m pretty sure I’m going to want a steelbook of it, I’ll check bestbuy.com a week or two after it comes out in theatres and they’ll usually have the steelbook listed for preorder if there’s going to be one.
Since it doesn’t cost anything extra to preorder stuff, I’ll just preorder the steelbook and then I’m guaranteed to get it.

What I'm talking about though, and it's pretty common at my Best Buy, is that their system says they have it in stock. But you go in and it's not on the shelf, even though there's a label for it on the shelf.

They don't care to make sure the new releases are 100% stocked because why would they? I'm probably the only weirdo all day who's gonna come in and ask about a blu ray other than Frozen 2 or whatever. But when I ask them to check in the back, they're always happy to do it and 90% of the time they'll find it there because it's not like it's hidden. They have it all ready to put out they just don't bother unless someone specifically asks.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I went in yesterday and bought it. Oh, and hey, it turns out "with digital copy" now means you get something decent on a streaming service and not some terrible thing they made themselves.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

i wish the digital copy was always for itunes. I've got like 4 different services for all my digital copies on my tv's program list now just to keep track of everything.

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

EL BROMANCE posted:

How long until The.Day.The.Clown.Cried.1972.CAM-1XBET

I think the Library of Congress confirmed most (all?) of the reels Jerry Lewis gave them don't have sound and it's not the complete film

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

dorium posted:

i wish the digital copy was always for itunes. I've got like 4 different services for all my digital copies on my tv's program list now just to keep track of everything.
You don't just use Movies Anywhere to conglomerate them?

I think the only thing that doesn't transfer is, like, Amazon poo poo. But it's been real good for my Vudu/Google/whatever buys.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

dorium posted:

I took that Frozen 2 code last night and put it in Movies Anywhere. That links it to my Apple, Amazon, Google, Microsoft, and Vudu accounts. I can also apparently link it with Comcast, Verizon, and Fandango.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Basebf555 posted:

What I'm talking about though, and it's pretty common at my Best Buy, is that their system says they have it in stock. But you go in and it's not on the shelf, even though there's a label for it on the shelf.

They don't care to make sure the new releases are 100% stocked because why would they? I'm probably the only weirdo all day who's gonna come in and ask about a blu ray other than Frozen 2 or whatever. But when I ask them to check in the back, they're always happy to do it and 90% of the time they'll find it there because it's not like it's hidden. They have it all ready to put out they just don't bother unless someone specifically asks.
Well sure, I used to have that problem and the (unspoken) reason was that Employee XYZ was actually holding X number copies in the back for themselves/their friends and family/to scalp on eBay, and they’d go in the back and check and say “oh I’m sorry, my system says I should have X copies but I don’t see any in the back” and what recourse am I going to have?

So I got sick of that bullshit and rolling the dice, and now I preorder every steelbook I know I’m going to want. It’s free to ship to the store, it doesn’t cost extra to preorder it, the store is right across the street from my work, and I’d be walking in the store either way. It takes all the guesswork out of the equation - I just walk in, pick up my movie, and leave. :shrug: Let some other sucker deal with inventory counts and employee shenanigans, I don’t have time for that poo poo.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I really wanted to like War of the Worlds. The aesthetic of the movie, the creature design, the effects, the space ships. All great stuff. The problem is that the movie's treatment of the one female character is extremely loving misogynist. She doesn't do anything or serve any purpose other than to be a shrieking sack of flesh that constantly goes to pieces and needs to be rescued either physically or emotionally by the big strong man who is also very smart. Then towards the end she's just his quest item.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

CPL593H posted:

I really wanted to like War of the Worlds. The aesthetic of the movie, the creature design, the effects, the space ships. All great stuff. The problem is that the movie's treatment of the one female character is extremely loving misogynist. She doesn't do anything or serve any purpose other than to be a shrieking sack of flesh that constantly goes to pieces and needs to be rescued either physically or emotionally by the big strong man who is also very smart. Then towards the end she's just his quest item.

So, just about any horror movie pre-1972?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Iron Crowned posted:

To some degree I do expect that sort of thing because of the era. But I found it so over the top that it was completely distracting and if I hadn't known any better I would have assumed it was parody.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

This is part of why THEM! is so fuckin' rad. Joan Weldon just comes in and kicks rear end and doesn't give a poo poo.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I can't stand the 1956 Invasion of the Body Snatchers for the same reason. The women just flail around while the Handsome and Reasonable Men are experts about things they couldn't possibly know.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

CPL593H posted:

Are you talking about the Tom Cruise one? I agree with the last sentence, but she isn't in any means "saved" by her dad until the very end. The whole point of the kids is to show how poo poo of a father he is and how he has no clue how to relate or parent them. He even tries to help her manage her stress at one point in the middle of the movie and his son tells him to back off because he's doing a terrible job at it. Unfortunately this means that she serves as her father's character arch if you reduce it down enough, but that's true of his son as well.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Vicki Vale’s screams in Batman 1989 haunt me. The entirety of her role in the museum sequence is screaming, it’s awful.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Australia feeling left out of the boutique market, Viavision just started a new [IMPRINT] label that seems to mimic UK's Indicator:
http://www.imprintfilms.com.au

Looks like they're all Paramount licenses. Shout! Factory released The Duellists years ago, but it's OOP. I'd expect these to come to the US eventually as The Criterion Channel has been playing all but Waterloo and The Duellists lately.

First releases coming out on May 27, 2020:

The War of the Worlds (1953)
NEW 4K restoration from the original camera negative
NEW remastered Dolby 5.1 surround remix
Audio commentary by actor Gene Barry and actress Ann Robinson
Audio commentary by “fans” Joe Dante, Bob Burns and Bill Warren
Original English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono
“The Sky is Falling: Making “War of the Worlds” documentary
“H.G. Wells: The Father of Science Fiction” featurette
“The Mercury Theater on the Air Presents: The War of the Worlds Radio Broadcast” (with stills of Orson Welles)
Theatrical trailer

This all sounds great but I wish they'd knock it off with the surround sound remixes of old mono/stereo tracks. Even if they're done well and don't end up creating a terrible imbalance between the effects, score and voices, still, that's going beyond simple restoration. Hell, many productions now can't get those balances right and I'm still not sure that everything beyond quadraphonic wasn't an iPhone glass screen nerd's pipe dream that got foisted on all of us because we were told it was what the future was supposed to be like.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

McSpanky posted:

This all sounds great but I wish they'd knock it off with the surround sound remixes of old mono/stereo tracks. Even if they're done well and don't end up creating a terrible imbalance between the effects, score and voices, still, that's going beyond simple restoration. Hell, many productions now can't get those balances right and I'm still not sure that everything beyond quadraphonic wasn't an iPhone glass screen nerd's pipe dream that got foisted on all of us because we were told it was what the future was supposed to be like.

Actually, The War of the Worlds was originally released with three-channel stereo sound in 1953, so the 5.1 remix is probably a re-creation of that.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Egbert Souse posted:

Actually, The War of the Worlds was originally released with three-channel stereo sound in 1953, so the 5.1 remix is probably a re-creation of that.

At least they (probably) won't screw up the balance, then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Egbert Souse posted:

Sorry, Wrong Number (1948)
NEW Audio commentary by noir expert and Film Noir Foundation board member Alan K. Rode
Eddie Muller Introduction (Previously Unreleased)
Hold The Phone: The Making Of “Sorry Wrong Number” (Previously Unreleased)
“Sorry Wrong Number” Radio Play
Theatrical Trailer
Oh goddamn it includes the radio play? That's like one of the greatest suspense radio dramas ever.