Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lobok posted:

You need both at the same time. Star Wars is so popular because it was a movie with Harrison Ford as Solo and a movie with Harrison Ford and his dog.

All they had to do was ape Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and bookend the movie with Harrison Ford.

Literally lol just have the part from Force Awakens when he's talking to Ben and ADR in Ford going "this reminds me of when I was your age and..." and then have the rest of the film Solo play as it is, then after it finishes Ben does the thank you I now know I have the strength to do this whatever/line and as he stabs Ford, credits roll.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Lmao at the entire 789 trilogy

Talk about a shaggy dog story

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
The problem with cgi dogs is that they're actually puppets operated by people and therefore do not radiate any goodboy.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Speaking of failed Harrison Ford projects...

Steven Spielberg exits Indiana Jones 5, James Mangold in talks to direct

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I don't think Spielberg understands how to make a good movie anymore so it's not like it can hurt.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

wait theyre still trying to do this

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What's the point if the OG crew isn't involved? I mean, you could equally ask what's the point even if they are, but if you're going to get a whole new crew just get a new actor and put it back in the 30s and make more serialized adventures. Or just don't make a movie at all and give Paul Dini an animated series that picks up where Young Indy left off. Or just let it be for another decade or two.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Spielberg spent the 90s and early 2000s saying that the reason there was no Indy 4 was that he didn't want to just put any poo poo out there and leave a bad taste in everyone's mouths. Then he went and did KOTCS which did that anyway. Mind you the Christ Columbus script from the 90s was worse still.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Indiana Jones franchise restarter idea: John Wick, but with Indiana Jones. We never learned how Indiana died, did we?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

Lmao at the entire 789 trilogy

Talk about a shaggy dog story

The Emperor has no force.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Casimir Radon posted:

Then he went and did KOTCS which did that anyway.

The biggest problem with KOTCS is that at its core, the idea is a grand-loving-slam. Letting the film evolve alongside cinema trends of the time was absolutely inspired, going from 30s adventure serials as the main inspiration to 50s drive-in b-movies was brilliant. Throwing in a motorcycle-riding greaser, flying saucers, cold war espionage, atomic test sites, extrasensory perception, and monstrous ants are all fantastic ideas. The only problem is... it sucked. It was executed extremely poorly with a written-by-committee script and lazy direction that didn't respect the look and feel of the originals, as well as tons of lazy callbacks and poor characterization.

Plus it didn't help that the ESP wasn't real, the flying saucers weren't real, and the ants were tiny instead of giant :colbert:

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Reboot Indiana Jones, but this time starring the dog Jones was named after.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Grendels Dad posted:

Indiana Jones franchise restarter idea: John Wick, but with Indiana Jones. We never learned how Indiana died, did we?

Alternatively, turn him into a Mad Max

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Indiana Jones directed by David Lynch.

Set design by H.R. Giger via a Ouija board.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Lobok posted:

You need both at the same time. Star Wars is so popular because it was a movie with Harrison Ford as Solo and a movie with Harrison Ford and his dog.

Wookiees live so much longer than humans it's more like Han was Chewie's dog.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

feedmyleg posted:

The biggest problem with KOTCS is that at its core, the idea is a grand-loving-slam. Letting the film evolve alongside cinema trends of the time was absolutely inspired, going from 30s adventure serials as the main inspiration to 50s drive-in b-movies was brilliant. Throwing in a motorcycle-riding greaser, flying saucers, cold war espionage, atomic test sites, extrasensory perception, and monstrous ants are all fantastic ideas. The only problem is... it sucked. It was executed extremely poorly with a written-by-committee script and lazy direction that didn't respect the look and feel of the originals, as well as tons of lazy callbacks and poor characterization.

Plus it didn't help that the ESP wasn't real, the flying saucers weren't real, and the ants were tiny instead of giant :colbert:

Yeah it's like everyone was working...

PART TIME.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Alan Smithee posted:

It’s gonna be another cg Andy serkis for the plant. Because he’s the only mocap performer in existence

Benedict Cumberbatch would probably like to do a musical.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

pospysyl posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch would probably like to do a musical.

He should go back to England and stop ruining movies.

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Yeah this isn't getting made.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

I mean, poo poo, James Mangold is a pretty good pull, so if this happens I'm actually more excited than I previously was.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Gonz posted:

Indiana Jones directed by David Lynch.

Set design by H.R. Giger via a Ouija board.

The scene of Willie reaching into a bit of the Temple of Doom to try to save Indy and Short around is gonna have a whole different vibe.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Indiana Jones by Gore Verbinski. Gore is going to create a literal dungeon with live traps.

Or intersect with horror and do Del Toro.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Indiana Jones directed by Johnny Knoxville.

Not sure I need a lead-in here.

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

Werner Herzog Indiana Jones, which is a origin story for bad lieutenant.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Gatts posted:

Or intersect with horror and do Del Toro.
Would be cool but it would fall into development hell until long after Ford dies.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Grendels Dad posted:

We didn't see how Old Indy lost his eye either iirc

Just have Indy show up in John Wick 4 with no explanation

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

Would be cool but it would fall into development hell until long after Ford dies.

As if that would stop Disney

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

https://twitter.com/scottderrickson/status/1232764164243771393?s=21

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Antifa Poltergeist posted:

Werner Herzog Indiana Jones, which is a origin story for bad lieutenant.

Aguirre

Antifa Poltergeist
Jun 3, 2004

"We're not laughing with you, we're laughing at you"

That's even better.man, Herzog has shot films all over the world.
I'm like 90% sure if they told him that the new Indiana Jones would be set in the Himalayas or Antarctica he would do it in a heartbeat.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

We didn't see how Old Indy lost his eye either iirc

Just have Indy show up in John Wick 4 with no explanation
Old Indy got scrubbed from anything official 20+ years ago when they re-edited all of it into feature length movies. It was kind of dumb how that was handled to. Almost all the brst stuff got released on VHS in 1999, with the remaining stuff supposed to follow soon after. Then nothing happened until it all got released in 3 DVD sets to complement KOTCS. Few of the episodes that weren't in that initial VHS run are any good.

You want real funny. When they re-edited them into features they slammed an original Corey Carrier episode together with new material. So the second half of the episode is a 14 or 14 year old Carrier pretending to be 10 years old, and that it's only a couple weeks after the first act.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Lobok posted:

That studio really screwed the pooch.

(Insert Weinstein joke here)

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Just hire someone new to be indiana jones, have him fight, I dunno, Francoists in the 30s, and not have him take advantage of under age women.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Shia LeBeouf.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

smug jeebus posted:

How did they spend $150m making a dog movie

https://twitter.com/vfxblog/status/1231979600743452677

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Is this a Gore Verbinski movie?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
On one hand, that's wasteful and dumb. But on the other that's kinda what I love about filmmaking.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I'm sorry, they built a river but couldn't get a dog?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

smug jeebus posted:

How did they spend $150m making a dog movie

quote:

Principal photography on the film began in late-September 2018 in Los Angeles.[14] The film was not shot on location, extensive use was made of CGI. Some of it was also shot on sets in Los Angeles and some exteriors in Santa Clarita, California. All-in-all the production spent $109 million filming in California, with the final budget reaching $125–150 million by the time post wrapped.

I'm guessing the conversation went something along the lines of "We're not greenlighting this film unless you get a big name like Harrison Ford to star in it!" "But there's no way that he'd spend 8 weeks on location in the Yukon!" "Well, just make a new Yukon a half hour from his house"

GrandpaPants posted:

I'm sorry, they built a river but couldn't get a dog?
They built the dog as well :v:

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Feb 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shneak posted:

Yeah this isn't getting made.

Ford is so old now that I wouldn't be surprised if Indy 5, if made at all, would be set in the 1970s or 1980s. I'd laugh it features Raiders Of The Lost Ark as a diegetic reference, like the first film is a fictionalization of in-universe Indy's adventures.