Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

IUG posted:

Are you talking about the Tom Cruise one? I agree with the last sentence, but she isn't in any means "saved" by her dad until the very end. The whole point of the kids is to show how poo poo of a father he is and how he has no clue how to relate or parent them. He even tries to help her manage her stress at one point in the middle of the movie and his son tells him to back off because he's doing a terrible job at it. Unfortunately this means that she serves as her father's character arch if you reduce it down enough, but that's true of his son as well.

No, I was referring to the 1953 film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber is also having a sale:
https://www.kinolorber.com/list/view/code/febmarch2020sale

Plenty of good range of stuff. Definitely picking up Ferrara's Pasolini, The Sacrifice, and uh, The Oscar.

Some quick recommendations...

The Atomic Cafe - Amazing 90 min montage of vintage nuclear scare films that alternates between being hilarious and loving scary
Diary of a Lost Girl - G.W. Pabst silent starring Louise Brooks
Hannibal - Kino's only UHD so far, stunning cinematographer-supervised 4K Dolby Vision remaster and a fun movie, too.
The Long Goodbye - My favorite Altman film
Nothing Sacred - Fun Technicolor screwball comedy with Carole Lombard
The Spiral Staircase - Great spooky noir by Robert Siodmak
Woman in the Moon - Fritz Lang's last silent film, pretty cool effects

They also have a good price on non-sale titles, most at $17.97, which is a little cheaper than Amazon.

They also have some long-awaited remasters of films that didn't even get proper DVDs (non-anamorphic or P&S) like Cabin Boy and Kundun.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I always love Kino Sales. They put out so much, it feels like there is always something good to watch. Last sale I picked up Cabin Boy thanks to the recommendation of this thread. It’s so weird and wonderful and I love it.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Boycott Kino Lorber until the Kolchak movies are cheaper than 18 bucks.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

CPL593H posted:

Boycott Kino Lorber until the Kolchak movies are cheaper than 18 bucks.

I got The Night Stalker for 11 during their last sale

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

gey muckle mowser posted:

I got The Night Stalker for 11 during their last sale

Boycott Kino Lorber until they do that again.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

They're good about rotating titles for each of their sales.

FYI, they've had an ongoing sale on "while supplies lasts" titles since November. Basically, stuff that either hasn't sold well and/or titles they won't be doing a second printing of.
https://www.klstudioclassics.com//list/view/code/november-2019-sale

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Looks like Shout’s June titles are starting to be announced. A collectors edition of Glengarry Glen Ross. Good way to start the month.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I like these Kino sales, but if you're only buying one title, that 8 bucks shipping really cuts into the value.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Origami Dali posted:

I like these Kino sales, but if you're only buying one title, that 8 bucks shipping really cuts into the value.
It's why that copy of Cabin Boy remains unpurchased on my end. :smith:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had to go to two Best Buy’s but I walked in and grabbed a knives out steelbook from the new release shelf thingy up front.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I had to go to two Best Buy’s but I walked in and grabbed a knives out steelbook from the new release shelf thingy up front.

Are these a limited edition or are they just selling fast? Because there are already a bunch of idiots paying anywhere from 50-80 dollars for them on ebay.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Both. The first one I went too got picked clean 20 minutes after opening. The one farther south had about 5 left when I got there.

I also snagged the Halloween 2018 steelbook from the same Best Buy despite it being out for a day or two. (When it was released) So I guess the “collectors” don’t go there much, idk.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea all the Best Buy steelbooks are considered "limited edition" or whatever because I don't think they ever do a second run of them once they sell out. But obviously some are gonna be more popular than others.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

There’s enough titles to easily get to the $50 threshold or just order normal priced ones and still save compared to amazon

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Egbert Souse posted:

There’s enough titles to easily get to the $50 threshold
I don't have $50. :mad:

Edit: Oh poo poo yeah, my avatar is back!

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Feb 27, 2020

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

caligulamprey posted:

I don't have $50. :mad:

I do, but I just spent too much on the Criterion sale

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

Arrow May releases:

Empathy, Inc (UK)
I See You (UK)
White Fire (US/UK/CA)
Blood Tide (US/UK/CA)
Dream Demon (US/UK/CA)
The Woman (US)
The Woman + Offspring (UK/CA) limited edition

https://twitter.com/ArrowFilmsVideo/status/1233412557521682432

Offspring is the 2009 Andrew van den Houten movie, interesting that the US doesn't get that one but Canada should make an easy import for anyone who wants it.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I See You is also really good and looks like it was DVD only here in the states, so I'll be importing that one.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I... Liked The Woman ("like" is definitely not the right word to use in the case of The Woman), but someone done hosed up by not doing a new edition of Lucky McKee's May for a May release.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Looks like Target has pre-order listings for UHDs of Requiem for a Dream, Sherlock Holmes, Full Metal Jacket, and The Goonies

Uncle Lloyd
Sep 2, 2019
Picked up Knives Out today.

Digital copy code is CFVA301LJ3UQVD88.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!

Uncle Lloyd posted:

Picked up Knives Out today.

Digital copy code is CFVA301LJ3UQVD88.

Hey I actually got one. Thanks

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Twilight Time has their entire inventory on sale:
https://www.twilighttimemovies.com/sale/

ChazTurbo
Oct 4, 2014

Egbert Souse posted:

Twilight Time has their entire inventory on sale:
https://www.twilighttimemovies.com/sale/

I'm not too familiar with this label. Any recommendations? Also these bouqitue guys need to space their sales apart

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

ChazTurbo posted:

I'm not too familiar with this label. Any recommendations? Also these bouqitue guys need to space their sales apart

They started as a limited edition label mainly for releasing Sony and Fox titles. Except for John Huston's Moby Dick, they don't do any remastering or restoration work. A lot of them have editions from Indicator and some of their OOP releases have been reissued by others. Basically, if it's a Columbia/Tri-Star or Fox title, it'll usually be an excellent master.

I'd pick up any Fox titles, though if you're region free, Indicator released a few of them in better editions (Dragonwyck, The Snake Pit, The St. Valentine's Day Massacre, etc) plus Indicator has a lot of the Sony films in region free editions (except for the upcoming John Ford at Columbia box).

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
They have Rollerball!

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Inserts is worth seeing, no idea about any of the rest but I'm sure they're fine!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Does anyone know if this is a bootleg?

https://www.tvshowco.com/product/the-tick-animated-series-complete-blu-ray-set-uncut/

I've never heard of this company and a bunch of rights issues made it so a bunch of Tick episodes and all of season three never made it on the DVDs. It seems weird to me that some no name company would get this to no fanfare. Especially since Disney might own the rights to the show.

edit: It should also be noted that the complete series was released on DVD in the UK.

CPL593H fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Mar 4, 2020

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

What’s Kino Lorber’s shipping turnaround time like? I bought some stuff on that sale Egbert Souse mentioned, and I haven’t gotten any kind of shipping confirmation. :shrug:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Xenomrph posted:

What’s Kino Lorber’s shipping turnaround time like? I bought some stuff on that sale Egbert Souse mentioned, and I haven’t gotten any kind of shipping confirmation. :shrug:

Usually really great!

I ordered Sunday, and got notification Monday, delivery is predicted for tomorrow (it arrived at the delivery center this morning).

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Iron Crowned posted:

Usually really great!

I ordered Sunday, and got notification Monday, delivery is predicted for tomorrow (it arrived at the delivery center this morning).

I got an order notification from PayPal that I’d paid, but I didn’t get a notification at the contact email I’d provided when I ordered. I dunno!

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Xenomrph posted:

I ordered on Friday evening, delivering tomorrow.

They will hold orders if they have back orders or preorders, though. Haven’t had a single problem with them.

Really astonishing how much essential or at least interesting stuff they put out.

Egbert Souse fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Mar 4, 2020

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CPL593H posted:

Does anyone know if this is a bootleg?

https://www.tvshowco.com/product/the-tick-animated-series-complete-blu-ray-set-uncut/

I've never heard of this company and a bunch of rights issues made it so a bunch of Tick episodes and all of season three never made it on the DVDs. It seems weird to me that some no name company would get this to no fanfare. Especially since Disney might own the rights to the show.

edit: It should also be noted that the complete series was released on DVD in the UK.

This is totally a bootleg. The discs on the upper left hand of the corner is a tell, same with the Dolby Digital symbol serving as the comic board approved stand in (which is a little clever).

They also say that the Tick wasn't animated in high definition, which is untrue since it was done on cel and thus would have a 35 or 16mm master. The use of the word graphics also give it away.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Egbert Souse posted:

Really astonishing how much essential or at least interesting stuff they put out.

Yeah, I ordered Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend, which I have fond memories of seeing as a kid, I think I'm the only person I've ever met that even remembers it. It probably sucks through the eyes of a 39 year old man, but for $8, why not?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I ordered Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend, which I have fond memories of seeing as a kid, I think I'm the only person I've ever met that even remembers it. It probably sucks through the eyes of a 39 year old man, but for $8, why not?

Even their regular pricing is reasonable at $14-17 for most single discs.

They’re also doing a box set of the six Pink Panther cartoon volumes in a few months to match the boxes for all the other DePatie-Freleng shorts. It’ll be the first time since the Walt Disney Treasures is a larger cartoon library fully available on home video in full.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Got my Freaked soundtrack in, can confirm it rules. I mean just having the extended alternate version of the Henry Rollins/Blind Idiot God track that plays over the opening credits makes it worth it. And Hideous Mutant Freekz, and all the Paul Leary/Butthole Surfers tracks. I had to laugh at the fact that there are like 3 or 4 tracks on Side B of the first record that are just extended versions of the 8-bit music that plays on the Freek Machine.

I haven't even listened to the second record which is just the incidental music score.

e: Also I ordered The People Under the Stairs from Scream Factory like a month ago and haven't received any word that it's shipped. But that seems about on-par with them, it took forever to get my previous order from them too.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Honestly I don't feel bad ordering Shout/Scream Factory titles through Amazon, because I know I'll get them in a timely manner.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
I kind of like ordering from them because I inevitably forget that I bought something and then it's a nice surprise when it shows up one day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Oh poo poo, I just found out Review just got put out on DVD. This is important.