Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

I just finished my tenth hour in The Division 2. I know this sounds trolly as hell, but everything I did in the first fifteen minutes of the game has encompassed the entirety of the next ten hours' spectrum of variety. It feels like there are five weapons in the game, three types of bad guys, and three types of missions. Do things get... different? Interesting?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
If you're not enjoying the basic gameplay in doing those things then I'd probably stop. The end-game introduces a fourth faction and the last few missions of the year and the new expansion bring back some from the first game but you're a ways off from either.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

credburn posted:

I just finished my tenth hour in The Division 2. I know this sounds trolly as hell, but everything I did in the first fifteen minutes of the game has encompassed the entirety of the next ten hours' spectrum of variety. It feels like there are five weapons in the game, three types of bad guys, and three types of missions. Do things get... different? Interesting?

I'm in the same boat as you, the gadgets are still 5 ways to do the same thing boring too

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Because I missed the three dollar sale, Ubisoft just spontaneously gave me back the entire ten dollars I spend on Division 2. So that's kinda neat.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Cross-Section posted:

Gotta say, I'm tempted to throw $9 at the thing just in case the FFXIV-esque rework they're now promising actually pans out

Don't. It's still gonna be the same folk doing the Anthem redo, using the same processes and lovely design ideas EA says they should use. It'll be either just as lovely as it is now, or ever so slightly better in a few spots. Its not that it's too expensive, even at $9, it's just not worth your time when there are so many other actually good games to play.

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Shadow of the Tomb Raider is really good. I've played the other two but this is probably my favorite so far. Also, you can pet llamas which is fantastic.

LewdMonocle
Mar 8, 2007
Hated Division2's mmo skinner box from the start but stuck around longer then I should have for the root'n toot'n shoot'n.

Also, turns out every asscreed game I got across steam, ps4, stadia beta, and now syndicate via epic shows up in my uplay account which is kinda cool.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
It's all about the skills you pick and the guns you use. I'm constantly changing it up so that I'm not using the same two weapons the whole time. It's hard for me to change my skills though since I like having flank coverage with Drone/Turret as I'm a solo player. Shield variant that lets you have a weapon on it is pretty nice though. I'll try that fly thing too pretty soon.

sauer kraut
Oct 2, 2004

credburn posted:

Nope, a whole lot of shooting. Followed by combing through/modding/recalibrating your 70+ pieces of loot for half an hour to juggle the stat and set requirements.
The variety opens up a bit later on. You'll get baddies who set up turrets and exploding RC cars, suicide bombers charging you, elites with big hammers that eat 2 full machinegun belts worth of damage, and probably more (I'm still on world lvl 1)

sauer kraut fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Feb 27, 2020

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wasteland Remastered is out, and looks like a cool version of an old game. Reviews are good, but it's mixed because????

IIRC, reviews aren't counted unless you buy directly from Steam, so all those positive reviews you see are of offsite keys activated/devsofgame/friends&familyofdevs who got the game as far as Steam is concerned, for free and it won't go towards the percentage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

sauer kraut posted:

Nope, a whole lot of shooting. Followed by combing through/modding/recalibrating your 70+ pieces of loot for half an hour to juggle the stat and set requirements.
The variety opens up a bit later on. You'll get baddies who set up turrets and exploding RC cars, suicide bombers charging you, elites with big hammers that eat 2 full machinegun belts worth of damage, and probably more (I'm still on world lvl 1)

It’s worth noting that the entire gear system of Division 2 is about to get a massive overhaul in a week, assuming nothing gets delayed. One of the goals is reduce the amount of junk and juggling of stats you have to do.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Im_Special posted:

IIRC, reviews aren't counted unless you buy directly from Steam, so all those positive reviews you see are of offsite keys activated/devsofgame/friends&familyofdevs who got the game as far as Steam is concerned, for free and it won't go towards the percentage.
You can see that breakdown, and only 2 of the 17 reviews are keys. The small amount of reviews means that each negative reviews gets a lot of weight.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
If you don't like a Ubisoft game at the beginning, you won't like it at the end.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Harminoff posted:

GoG just changed their refund policy....

https://www.pcgamer.com/gogs-new-refund-policy-is-way-more-generous-than-steams/

Refund up to 30 days after purchase regardless of play time.

Crazy. Your turn steam.
I don't really refund games, but if I did, that would gently caress me over completely - 30 days from the moment you purchase rather than the moment you first download the game.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Steam is based on purchase date also. A whole month to play a game then refund is... quite generous, I hope it works out for them.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Steam is 2 weeks from date of purchase or 2 hours played so this is very good in comparison and previously GOG's terms were 2 weeks no questions asked and up to 30 days for technical issues. I think pretty much every major service now has Steam's terms or better.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 09:48 on Feb 27, 2020

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Too Shy Guy posted:

They also have a free companion game to STASIS called CAYNE, if you want a taste right now. I didn’t care for it but it could be worth a try.

If you're going to play CAYNE, it's better to have a walkthrough handy eventually. STASIS is the more refined game.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Serephina posted:

Steam is based on purchase date also. A whole month to play a game then refund is... quite generous, I hope it works out for them.

I mean, their games are already DRM free. I don't think there's anything preventing you from buying them, downloading them, then getting a refund while still keeping the game. They rely on their customers' good faith and so far it seems to be working out.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

credburn posted:

I'm very much in the same boat but I still crave some cooperative shooting. How does Destiny 2 compare? That sounds like it would at least be fun to explore as opposed to Tom Clancy's Vanilla Apocalypse #2468.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

anilEhilated posted:

I'm very much in the same boat but I still crave some cooperative shooting. How does Destiny 2 compare? That sounds like it would at least be fun to explore as opposed to Tom Clancy's Vanilla Apocalypse #2468.

Destiny 2's gunplay is lightyears more fun than The Division. The environments are also more novel since it's not just a post apocalyptic city (although there is one of those sort of in there).

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Given that Destiny 2 is free and that contains a huge amount of content, absolutely try it! I love love love the shooting in it, the exploring, everything.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Having any kind of refund policy on a service that provides DRM-free offline installers of your purchased products seems like it might not be the smartest idea.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

Having any kind of refund policy on a service that provides DRM-free offline installers of your purchased products seems like it might not be the smartest idea.

It's not like these games are hard to pirate with or without that

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fair point. Still, once you're going that far, you might as well just be giving your inventory away.

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

Hub Cat posted:

I think pretty much every major service now has Steam's terms or better.

Steam's terms are what they are because of consumer laws. They were first because they were the biggest and the first party the keepers of those laws went after. The only thing they did of their own volition is blanket apply their terms to the whole world, even where no such consumer laws exist. This may be partly for goodwill (imagine the hate if they implemented a refund system but then tell some people they're not getting to use it because their country's law doesn't force Steam to), but also because it's just easier to make it the same across the board.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Cardiovorax posted:

Fair point. Still, once you're going that far, you might as well just be giving your inventory away.

You can just buy games on Steam, play in offline mode (so the hours aren't counted) and then refund them in under two weeks.

[edit]Or even better, play them through an account that has Family Sharing with yours

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

ZearothK posted:

You can just buy games on Steam, play in offline mode (so the hours aren't counted) and then refund them in under two weeks.

[edit]Or even better, play them through an account that has Family Sharing with yours
Huh, I actually didn't realize that. Thanks for the trick. Two hours really isn't enough for proper testing sometimes, that'll come in handy I'm sure.

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

anilEhilated posted:

Destiny 2 is equal or more boring long-term, where the tom clancy bs is replaced by generic SF bs with less time spending in comparison menues

D2 has great pvp though and probably a bit more diverse at the first playthrough.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

haldolium posted:

Destiny 2 is equal or more boring long-term, where the tom clancy bs is replaced by generic SF bs with less time spending in comparison menues

D2 has great pvp though and probably a bit more diverse at the first playthrough.

Trolling hardcore D2 PvP was one of my favorite experiences as a kid, you'd die pretty quickly too, since when you live by the sword you die by the sword, but it was nice to look at the ear collection before you're gone.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Division 2 has more staying power for me. Those exotic/item quests made me real upset in Destiny 2 and made me stop playing after playing through the campaigns. Division 2 just feels faster too when I just want to go to a place. I guess it just makes me less annoyed, so I don't mind continuing to stick with it. The shooting and abilities in Destiny 2 though are way better. Worth a story run.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Aphex- posted:

Destiny 2's gunplay is lightyears more fun than The Division. The environments are also more novel since it's not just a post apocalyptic city (although there is one of those sort of in there).

tbf, the Division games are RPG's wrapped in third person shooter gameplay

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Cross-Section posted:

Gotta say, I'm tempted to throw $9 at the thing just in case the FFXIV-esque rework they're now promising actually pans out

From the FFXIV thread

Onmi posted:

So I did my thesis on FFXIV and Anthem, their similarities, how poo poo turned around, etc. And people here asked me to upload it because reading a 28 page document written academically sounded fun I guess.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I0xwLxzUyE3CQ6PiGGqLyLlzM3udDJas/view?usp=sharing

Here it is, don't rip my rear end in a top hat too wide.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

I feel like Division/Destiny/Warframe are all repetitive but that is kinda the formula of those games. The fun in those games if you can get a squad or a teammate, at least one friend. I found those games to be unplayable solo.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Is the Gloomhaven PC game any good? It's on sale at Humble.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Tamba posted:

From the FFXIV thread

This is cool as hell.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

The boardgame is very, very good if you like tactical, thinky RPGs. I'm pretty sure the campaign (i.e. the meat of the game) isn't in yet, so you can only play random maps.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

It’s good so far, but it’s still early access and the campaign isn’t in the game yet - randomized “adventure mode” only.

You’re restricted to two characters until you beat the first boss, which will require a lot of wandering around and leveling up because holy poo poo did they pack that room with baddies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Dynasty Warriors 9: as an open world fan, I like it, but also drat if I'm not struggling to understand the structure of the game. Story progression being shared between characters is ????

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Unexpected release (for tomorrow) but a welcome one. No idea if it will hold up but I'm shocked that an Xbox game suddenly got a PC version.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121420/Kingdom_Under_Fire_The_Crusaders/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills given its Overwhelmingly Positive rating on Steam, but A Hat in Time just hasn't quite clicked with me. It's extremely charming and the parts of it that work well are really fun, but there's something about the camera, checkpointing, and level design that feels off enough to make me want to play something else after completing the first two worlds (and part of the third).

I... may have enjoyed Yooka-Laylee (post-patch version) more, even with its considerable flaws. Maybe I'm just not in the 3D platformer mood right now, idk

Barry Convex fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Feb 27, 2020