Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
While I enjoyed A Hat in Time*, it suffers due to every level being a totally different unique thing. Mafia Town is a really solid interpretation of the Mario 64 formula and then they promptly throw that format in the garbage and never return to it.

*Except for the final stage of Seal the Deal. Worst motion sickness I've ever gotten from a game. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

dudeness posted:

Unexpected release (for tomorrow) but a welcome one. No idea if it will hold up but I'm shocked that an Xbox game suddenly got a PC version.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1121420/Kingdom_Under_Fire_The_Crusaders/

Oh poo poo that's awesome, I always wanted to play this.

Now we just need Spartan Total Warrior.

Deakul fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Feb 27, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

StrixNebulosa posted:

Dynasty Warriors 9: as an open world fan, I like it, but also drat if I'm not struggling to understand the structure of the game. Story progression being shared between characters is ????

Is that the microtransactions one with daily free units? I tried about 20 minutes and then went back to 8.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Bruceski posted:

Is that the microtransactions one with daily free units? I tried about 20 minutes and then went back to 8.

Last time the Dynasty Warriors games were on sale I had extra cash so I threw down for the base version of the game so I have all the characters. It was like 20$ or so.

The fighting system is different from 8 with a rb+button leading into mashing x, with y for darting to an enemy and usually killing them? It's weird but flows well and I'm having fun with it. Oh and B for musous of course.

The gameplay structure is weird - you pick a character and era, get plonked down in a huge open world, and get given a list of main quests to go do to help your side capture more area. Quests like "Go kill X" or "Go Rescue B". While you ride to your quest location, you pick up items for crafting, maybe stop to hunt deer or wolves, maybe go fishing, find sidequests, or do mini "capture this waypoint" non-missions. Or you just leave your horse on auto-run and it carries you to the quest. If your quest is on the other side of China, you fast-travel to the nearest unlocked location and travel from there.

I'm playing an Ubisoft game but with musou gameplay and it's weird????

anyways the DLC situation is that now that I have the base game, I can buy extra weapons + skins + scenarios, which I may or may not do depending on when there's another sale and if I burn out before I want that stuff.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Barry Convex posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills given its Overwhelmingly Positive rating on Steam, but A Hat in Time just hasn't quite clicked with me. It's extremely charming and the parts of it that work well are really fun, but there's something about the camera, checkpointing, and level design that feels off enough to make me want to play something else after completing the first two worlds (and part of the third).
I felt the same way, personally. I mean, it's not bad, if aggressively cute, but I don't think it quite deserves the rave reviews it has been getting from some quarters.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Barry Convex posted:

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills given its Overwhelmingly Positive rating on Steam, but A Hat in Time just hasn't quite clicked with me. It's extremely charming and the parts of it that work well are really fun, but there's something about the camera, checkpointing, and level design that feels off enough to make me want to play something else after completing the first two worlds (and part of the third).

I... may have enjoyed Yooka-Laylee (post-patch version) more, even with its considerable flaws. Maybe I'm just not in the 3D platformer mood right now, idk

It's cute and charming, but also incredibly disjointed once all is said and done.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i admit i don't know much about either but i think it came out hot on the heels of yooka-laylee with much less buzz leading up to it, so when yooka-laylee fizzled out pretty hard on launch it was there to vacuum up all the shattered expectations and reap the benefits

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

I liked Hat in Time generally but it definitely frays at the edges and the levels don't really work together as a cohesive game experience.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Speaking of, I got Yooka-Laylee and the Impossible Lair for free and I'm honestly enjoying it quite a bit. It's very Donkey Kong Country, if maybe not quite as good.

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

Barry Convex posted:

I... may have enjoyed Yooka-Laylee (post-patch version) more, even with its considerable flaws. Maybe I'm just not in the 3D platformer mood right now, idk

Good reviews are great but if you're not having fun that's all there is to it. I recently refunded Stone Shard, Noita, Last Epoch, and Project Zomboid. All of these have good reviews, but I played them for a bit and decided I wasn't really having fun with them. I'm not going to tell people they're bad games, but I'd prefer to spend my money on things I actually want to play. One exception is Blasphemous. I've never even installed the game but I was happy to buy it just because I liked the art so much. :shrug:

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
The secret is that A Hat In Time is actually a Psychonauts derivative more than anything else.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Diephoon posted:

Good reviews are great but if you're not having fun that's all there is to it. I recently refunded Stone Shard, Noita, Last Epoch, and Project Zomboid. All of these have good reviews, but I played them for a bit and decided I wasn't really having fun with them. I'm not going to tell people they're bad games, but I'd prefer to spend my money on things I actually want to play. One exception is Blasphemous. I've never even installed the game but I was happy to buy it just because I liked the art so much. :shrug:

gasp

you don't like Project Zomboid????

I personally love its hardcore survival aspect where even one zombie can be a death sentence if you aren't careful and it just delivers on everything I want out of the zombie apocalypse. You, suburbia, a ton of zombies, and then stealth and hoarding canned goods

But I also understand why you might not like it because boy howdy I hope you like playing the first five levels of a roguelike over and over. Death comes quickly, very quickly, and you have to like exploring cabinets and doing the same zombie-proofing every time.

So I'm mostly posting because I want to gush about Zomboid, but also I'm glad you got a refund and are spending your money on things you'll actually enjoy instead

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Diephoon posted:

Wow this is the wrong thread for this friend, everybody knows that in the Steam thread: There is no Play. There is no Refund. The Backlog grows.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

John Murdoch posted:

While I enjoyed A Hat in Time*, it suffers due to every level being a totally different unique thing. Mafia Town is a really solid interpretation of the Mario 64 formula and then they promptly throw that format in the garbage and never return to it.

*Except for the final stage of Seal the Deal. Worst motion sickness I've ever gotten from a game. :barf:

honestly, the game bothered me from the very beginning, when you have to reach Mustache Girl in the bell tower - there's more than one way possible to get up there, but the objective only triggers if you get up there one specific way, which I didn't find to be that clearly telegraphed, meaning that I was very confused when I reached her and nothing at all happened. not a good sign if I have to check a walkthrough to see if the game is bugged that early

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Wow this is the wrong thread for this friend, everybody knows that in the Steam thread: There is no Play. There is no Refund. The Backlog grows.

ahahaha don't doxx me. This is why I've been trying a new thing this year called installing things I bought and playing them. (which is why I have Dynasty Warriors 9 up currently)

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

I’m playing Tomb Raider Anniversary for backlog and holy poo poo, they have you fighting a T-Rex in like the first hour

Very little preamble too, Lara’s just wandering through some ruins in search of a cog for a puzzle and all of a sudden, DINOSAURS

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Cross-Section posted:

I’m playing Tomb Raider Anniversary for backlog and holy poo poo, they have you fighting a T-Rex in like the first hour

Very little preamble too, Lara’s just wandering through some ruins in search of a cog for a puzzle and all of a sudden, DINOSAURS

That's what happened in the original version too, to be fair.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Rappaport posted:

That's what happened in the original version too, to be fair.

I knew one of the original games had dinos, but I'd no idea that they popped up so early in the grand scheme of things

Coming from Legend, which has an entirely different sense of pacing and level design (which makes sense, being an actual original game instead of a remake like Anniversary is) it was more than a little surprising.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cross-Section posted:

I knew one of the original games had dinos, but I'd no idea that they popped up so early in the grand scheme of things

Coming from Legend, which has an entirely different sense of pacing and level design (which makes sense, being an actual original game instead of a remake like Anniversary is) it was more than a little surprising.
The original Tomb Raider is trippy as gently caress to be honest. If anything, Anniversary toned it down.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Heads up that the Humble Store changed their discount options during checkout. When you have your cart open, hit the big grey button below the totals that says something like "Manage my discount" and you can crank that fucker to 20% if you're a monthly member. They apparently changed it from the 50/50 charity of choice vs wallet credit system and now it's just 0%-20%.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Terrible news, Borderlands 3 is coming to Steam in March.
https://www.pcgamer.com/uk/borderlands-3-and-the-second-campaign-expansion-are-coming-to-steam-in-march/

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Maybe Randy Pitchford will show us his magic tricks by making his audience disappear.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Borderlands 3 or Doom Eternal, gosh what to choose

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I know people love to poo poo on borderlands but 3 is really fun. I mean, so was 2.

The pre-sequel blew chunks though. So much backtracking.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

gonna take a stab in the dark and guess you ran through the story mode once, most likely with friends, and dropped it afterwards?

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
With Doom and Animal Crossing coming out, that game will be even easier to ignore the existence of next month.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I think I liked Borderlands more than most goons but lol @ giving Randy Pitchford another cent

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

gonna buy borderlands 3 then return it because it isn't fun.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Cowcaster posted:

gonna take a stab in the dark and guess you ran through the story mode once, most likely with friends, and dropped it afterwards?
That is the best way to play Borderlands, though.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i wasn't implying it wasn't

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Hwurmp posted:

Borderlands 3 or Doom Eternal, gosh what to choose

Stellaris? I know I probably will…

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I actually made my way pretty far into NG+ on Borderlands 2, because the way that difficulty worked increased the bonuses and penalties for the elemental guns against shields/health/armor and it made the game a lot more involved. I wish that was available from the start instead of locked behind beating the game.

Difficulties past the first NG+ were completely screwed up though.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Cowcaster posted:

That's called "playing the game"

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sebmojo posted:

That's called "playing the game"

admittedly they're not my particular cup of tea but i'm pretty sure the gold standard of rooty tooty loot n shooties and all action rpgs of their ilk is when the treadmill is infinite and not a one and done scenario

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Hey did you like Commandos? Or Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun? Well guess what:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1227530/Partisans_1941/

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Cowcaster posted:

admittedly they're not my particular cup of tea but i'm pretty sure the gold standard of rooty tooty loot n shooties and all action rpgs of their ilk is when the treadmill is infinite and not a one and done scenario

That's become the standard, but IMO it's a poo poo standard. The ideal to me is not an endless treadmill, but a game where I can play a character, get everything I could possibly want for it, and happily be done. Then anywhere from a day to a few years later, I feel like playing a new build, and I go back for more. Unfortunately, Borderlands is not that either. It's not really good at anything other than being the only game like it (the others all are designed to feel much more MMO-like with an endless grind until the microtransaction money dries up, which from my perspective is far worse than the shitfest that is the Borderlands endgame). I'd really love to see something come along and be a real single player/coop (as opposed to MMO style) looter shooter where both player skill and fun gear are emphasized.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

If I do a single playthrough of a game and I enjoy it, that is enough to satisfy me that it is a good game.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Det_no posted:

Hey did you like Commandos? Or Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun? Well guess what:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1227530/Partisans_1941/
Made by a Russian studio with no other games on steam. ok.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Reminder that the Steam review system is an aggregate and not an indicator of quality. So that 90%+ could mean that 90%+ of people think it's at least ok. I say this because I dislike a good number of Very and Overwhelmingly positive games that don't click with me or have flaws that I can't look past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cowcaster posted:

rooty tooty loot n shooties
i have a deeply visceral allergic reaction to this phrase

elect me god emperor of these forums and i will stamp out this ward crime against humanity with impunity