Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

nerdz posted:

there's quite a bit of stuff but we were discussing that most improvements (while great) were not enough to really get players back in. If you play it now you'll be back to a much better game than on release. The expansion though, is going to be the gamechanger here.

I really wonder where the turning point was from them continuously tinkering around the edges to just going "gently caress it it's not really working." A lot of the flaws have been apparent to us as players since the honeymoon period ended around April, but I like to think it's around the time of the target loot update and the first round of major gear changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

X13Fen posted:

This was good

Finally unlocked Technician last night (despite having beat the zoo when invaded a month ago, apparently that didn't count for the last step even though the game calls it a stronghold?) and turns out I have 5/6 pieces of an (unoptomised) Hard Wired set. Am I doing it right? I'm assuming I should be running uive/seekers now (my seekers are already modded for +9 clusters +damage)

Run the hive that causes bleeding and go for radius / damage in addition to the clustermines. As for gear, you want 4 piece HW, the BTSU Exotic gloves, and a backpack with skilled and explosive damage.

To go even further, you want a sidearm with recharged (while equipped, skills deployed have more charges), The Send-Off (the shotgun blueprint you get from completing technician) and add Sadist to it (additional damage to bleeding targets), and primary weapon with In-rhythm.

Of course none of this will matter come next week.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 27, 2020

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

X13Fen posted:

Finally unlocked Technician last night (despite having beat the zoo when invaded a month ago, apparently that didn't count for the last step even though the game calls it a stronghold?) ...

Yep, the specialization research tasks are not retroactive.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Oxidizer is nice for getting folks outta cover/suppressed. Firestarter feels clunky when you have to shoot the cloud to make it go off. Stinger hive change from a few shots of blast damage on long cooldown to fast cooldown charges that bleed made it shockingly more viable.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Blind Duke posted:

Oxidizer is nice for getting folks outta cover/suppressed. Firestarter feels clunky when you have to shoot the cloud to make it go off. Stinger hive change from a few shots of blast damage on long cooldown to fast cooldown charges that bleed made it shockingly more viable.

you can double tap the skill button to detonate firestarter immediately

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

nerdz posted:

you can double tap the skill button to detonate firestarter immediately

Or just shoot it at some dumb shmuck while he's firing at you and let him do all the work.

fatelvis
Mar 21, 2010

Is there anywhere that has a good guide for how to put together builds? All the different talents and combinations of gear perks make my brain melt.

Currently I've just gone full glass cannon and with everything on crit damage, chance and elite dmg - just because that seems the simplest way to go.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
God damnit, I get all the audio logs from the nightclub and then get kicked from the servers before I can do the stupid trophy puzzle. Welcome back I guess :v:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

fatelvis posted:

Is there anywhere that has a good guide for how to put together builds? All the different talents and combinations of gear perks make my brain melt.

Currently I've just gone full glass cannon and with everything on crit damage, chance and elite dmg - just because that seems the simplest way to go.

Any guide gets thrown out the window in a few days so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

fatelvis posted:

this is fine. add in some all weapon damage and your favorite weapon type on gloves (so AR, probably) and you're set until the 3rd when it all goes out the window

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

X13Fen posted:

Finally unlocked Technician last night (despite having beat the zoo when invaded a month ago, apparently that didn't count for the last step even though the game calls it a stronghold?) and turns out I have 5/6 pieces of an (unoptomised) Hard Wired set. Am I doing it right? I'm assuming I should be running uive/seekers now (my seekers are already modded for +9 clusters +damage)

You'll want to use four pieces. Which four... really depends on the rest of your gear. Without BTSU gloves I got way more use out of an assault turret than I did out of hive, but I also went with the most skill haste I reasonably could and had ~11s seekers on top of In Rhythm and Skilled. Throwin' balls for days.

With BTSU gloves the hive is just there to proc turbo damage mode. It'd kill things if they weren't already dead from seeker spam.

ICR
Dec 31, 2008

Yeah hold off on builds and guides right now gang. They’ll be up on divisionbuilder soon and me and many others will do our part to save some good ones here and in discord!

A good guide is critical especially as we all try to figure out how to rock and roll when the game goes through the big changes next week. :)

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Does marking for recalibration even do anything right now?

Where is this DARPA mission that's blocked off for the weekly challenge?

I swear when the expansion drops I'm going to get through an entire podcast just trashing gear.

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS

Shumagorath posted:

DARPA lab should be one of the two Pentagon main missions, so it's not in D.C. but one of the helicopter areas. Probably only shows if you have done "The Last Castle" to unlock them first.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Shumagorath posted:

I swear when the expansion drops I'm going to get through an entire podcast just trashing gear.

Marking for recalibration protects an item from being recycled as junk or sold as junk at a vendor. It doesn’t protect it from being donated for a daily or weekly project.

The DARPA mission is one of the two Pentagon area missions added last episode. If it’s blocked off that means you haven’t done the Pentagon mission before it to unlock it. The Pentagon is on the southwest off of the main map.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress
Helping pals level I noticed my Negotiator's Dilemma set has stopped firing it's grenades when my armor breaks. Anyone else having this problem?

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

So I played until 30, hit WT 1 or 2 and got bored with the inscrutable gear grind / same mission thing. Love the gameplay loop in general though, so here's my question if anyone knows. I pre-ordered the expac, it comes with a 30 booster, but what does that do exactly? Like I wanna go to NY, so if I use the booster on my existing 30 does that bump me to WT5 or something - my gear would still be poo poo no? Not clear on how that works. TIA.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

HebrewMagic posted:

Helping pals level I noticed my Negotiator's Dilemma set has stopped firing it's grenades when my armor breaks. Anyone else having this problem?

you probably changed out of the demo spec

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Shumagorath posted:

It has a different icon than junk or favorite so helps you remember why you saved that one piece out of the 98 other similar pieces in your inventory.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It’s been fun dismantling and selling EVERYTHING that drops these past few days.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

It’s been fun dismantling and selling EVERYTHING that drops these past few days.

Since they haven’t said anything about pieces with good rolls we’re getting now having any greater chance of being good after the patch I’ve just assumed everything has the same chance. Unless something is a direct upgrade to something I’m already wearing it’s trash.

I have bought the expansion so I could probably get rid of everything once I travel to New York and get some level 31 stuff. Buuuut since the recalibration libraries are going to be different I know there is some small incredibly stupid part of me that wants to fill out the WT5 library and will be annoyed seeing the small numbers.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

So I played at release through WT5 but never did any of the raids and never really optimized my gear, it was just whatever trash I had accumulated (no epics or whatever they are called). If I buy the expansion will I be fine jumping into that content or does it expect me to have pretty much maximized all my WT5 gear with sets or whatever ended up being the end-game stuff?

I obviously enjoyed the game well enough to get to WT5, and since it's been almost a year I'm probably good to go for another 40-60 hours if this new expansion isn't expecting people to be raid geared or something stupid like that. Also I am a horrible person who tends to play MMO's as single player games if that makes any difference for this new expansion.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I’m only keeping things with perfect talents to get them in the recalibration pool after the patch.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

If the expansion continues the trend of forcing “story” difficulty for the first time through a mission I’m betting you’ll be fine no matter what you have.

jabro posted:

I’m only keeping things with perfect talents to get them in the recalibration pool after the patch.

Unless they’ve said otherwise and I missed it I believe Perfect talents are still going to be stuck on whatever they come on.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Lvl 31-40 is an entirely new and separate recalibration pool. If you’re getting the expansion, NOTHING you get now will carry over.

https://twitter.com/thylander/status/1228698187319390211?s=21

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Feb 28, 2020

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Yeah I'm pretty much burning my entire stash and inventory day 1 either for crafting materials (if they raise the cap) or just sell them for money. No point on keeping a thing at all.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

I'm keeping a bunch of gear set pieces because they break down into extra mats like electronics, and I'm already at the cap. Also just in case my HW/BTSU build sucks on Tuesday, I can throw something else together to get me through the first couple hours of NYC.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Saw that the base game is $3 now and I'm contemplating checking it out on PS4. Anyone playing on console able to speak to how populated the game is? I like the idea of a co-op cover shooter with optional PvP to dip into, but I wouldn't be as interested if it's basically just a single-player game at this point.

HebrewMagic
Jul 19, 2012

Police Assault In Progress

nerdz posted:

you probably changed out of the demo spec

Nope. Busted out the GL multiple times. Checked to make sure I didn't break the set multiple times. It just ceased to function.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Kibayasu posted:

If the expansion continues the trend of forcing “story” difficulty for the first time through a mission I’m betting you’ll be fine no matter what you have.

Unless they’ve said otherwise and I missed it I believe Perfect talents are still going to be stuck on whatever they come on.

I read no good. Everything is getting blown out then.

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Saw that the base game is $3 now and I'm contemplating checking it out on PS4. Anyone playing on console able to speak to how populated the game is? I like the idea of a co-op cover shooter with optional PvP to dip into, but I wouldn't be as interested if it's basically just a single-player game at this point.

I’m able to find groups fairly quick no matter the time of day or night. It’s really quick especially with the renewed interest. The longest I’ve had to wait was a few minutes and that was for a stage that wasn’t invaded or part of a project.

jabro fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Feb 28, 2020

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
wait until the expansion is out and keep your best gear/skill mods, getting all gear pieces and skills slotted up will give you a leg up until you find better ones.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

squirrelzipper posted:

So I played until 30, hit WT 1 or 2 and got bored with the inscrutable gear grind / same mission thing. Love the gameplay loop in general though, so here's my question if anyone knows. I pre-ordered the expac, it comes with a 30 booster, but what does that do exactly? Like I wanna go to NY, so if I use the booster on my existing 30 does that bump me to WT5 or something - my gear would still be poo poo no? Not clear on how that works. TIA.

In case anyone else is wondering this apparently the boost pushes you up to WTV with a GS 500 piece of gear for each slot and several GS 500 weapons. It also completes all missions main and side. You can obviously replay the main missions but finish any side missions you want to do first. This is cool. Going to take Wed. Next week off and visit NYC!

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

jabro posted:

I read no good. Everything is getting blown out then.

I’m able to find groups fairly quick no matter the time of day or night. It’s really quick especially with the renewed interest. The longest I’ve had to wait was a few minutes and that was for a stage that wasn’t invaded or part of a project.

Cool, definitely gonna check it out then. Speaking of, just saw that this has a refer a friend program so if any PS4 goon wants to toss me an invite and play a few rounds for the rewards this weekend, toss me a link!

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

squirrelzipper posted:

In case anyone else is wondering this apparently the boost pushes you up to WTV with a GS 500 piece of gear for each slot and several GS 500 weapons. It also completes all missions main and side. You can obviously replay the main missions but finish any side missions you want to do first. This is cool. Going to take Wed. Next week off and visit NYC!

What weapon mods do you get, if any? Does it totally fill out your skill and perks?

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Jose Oquendo posted:

What weapon mods do you get, if any? Does it totally fill out your skill and perks?
you get all skills and all points for demo, survivalist, and sharpshooter. not sure about the mods because I shared BPs so I could get 4 BPS per day from the daily projects

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:

Cool, definitely gonna check it out then. Speaking of, just saw that this has a refer a friend program so if any PS4 goon wants to toss me an invite and play a few rounds for the rewards this weekend, toss me a link!

Sent you a PM. The referral program restrictions are pretty strict, so the sooner we can play when you do start playing, the better.

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-us/game/the-division/the-division-2/friend-referral

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

FYI the game forcing you to play through new content in story difficulty (forcing you to replay it in normal or harder for any challenge) is real loving annoying.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

FYI the game forcing you to play through new content in story difficulty (forcing you to replay it in normal or harder for any challenge) is real loving annoying.
this changes next week when you can set everything including open world up to Heroic

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Whats your PSN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Decided to do all the DLC stuff to get ready for the third, since I wasn’t playing when dlc 2 dropped.

Whoever designed the fight against the marauder helicopter is a loving lunatic. gently caress. I was having a good time with the rest of the level but what the hell, man. Not a fun fight at all, the thing is a bullet sponge that can also drat near one shot me.