Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rich thick and creamy
May 23, 2005

To whip it, Whip it good
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

Got hard Alien vibes when watching Them! the other day. That sequence in the tunnels with the eggs is so goddamn creepy.

"Now destroy everything in here. Burn it."
"What?"
"I said 'Burn it!" Burn EVERYTHING!"

Planet of the Vampires had Alien vibes in spades... seeing as it's about spaceships sent to investigate a strange transmission from a mysterious planet. When they get there they discover a busted alien spacecraft, the desiccated corpse of the pilot at the controls, suspect the pilot didn't die of natural causes, and due to a number of odd happenings discover it may be too late for themselves as well. You get the feeling you've seen this movie before!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003
There's also 1958's It! The Terror from Beyond Space: astronauts pick up an alien stowaway, they search the ship for it as it tries to kill them, in the end they kill it by opening the ship to the vacuum.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

The MSJ posted:

Pretty stacked cast.

is this real because goddamn

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm about to finish Documental season 3. It's insane. If you're unfamiliar, it's a Japanese game show where ten Japanese comedians compete to win a pot of 10 million yen. They're in a house for six hours and the goal is eliminate the others by making them laugh, but not laughing yourself.

In the first two seasons, once a person got eliminated, they were out. This season, if they get eliminated, they're still out, but they can be called in as a "zombie" to try to make the contestants laugh.

So by episode 5, there's only two contestants left. Two zombies come in and do this act, I won't say what. They're performing right in front of one of the contestants and he's holding in his laughter so hard. The hardest I've ever seen a human hold in laughter. He was literally sweating from holding it in. I'd never seen anything like that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

BisterdDave posted:

Anyone watch Girl on the Third Floor? Sounds interesting.

‘Twas pretty bad

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

veni veni veni posted:

‘Twas pretty bad

Darn.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

is this real because goddamn

Apparently yeah Kevin Smith named his daughter that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

Apparently yeah Kevin Smith named his daughter that.

He's a huge goon for naming her that and I'm not his biggest fan these days, but in his defense Harley was a fairly obscure character as she was just in BTAS when she was born. I like to think if the character were as huge as she is now and as sexualized as she is now, he would have named her Namorita or something else.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It’s like how I have to explain that I got the decepticon logo on my arm 7 years before that stupid movie came out, but it’s still a lovely tattoo. At least it’s not a kid.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This is my daughter khalessi. Whoops

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Maybe she can hang out with my son, Harvey Weinstein.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

veni veni veni posted:

I know several people that made this mistake.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

nate fisher posted:

I know several people that made this mistake.

I would be willing to bet being forced to go by one's middle name is almost liberating

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
hell yeah, Altered Carbon season 2 is up.

also, apparently Babylon Berlin s3 is getting added to netflix next month.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
You can literally go by any name you want. My grandpa’s name was Elvin, only ever went by Billy his whole life. No other part of his name is related to Billy, he just preferred it. No one asks for legal proof of your name except for forms.

Also Kevin Smith’s daughter loves her name, so who gives a gently caress

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Kevin Smith fan spotted in the wild.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Kevin Smith fan spotted in the wild.

We can’t all be as cool as *checks notes* a dumbass on a movie forum making fun of a 20 year old woman for her name

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Clerks was good, but they should have gone with the original ending where he gets shot.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sorry I didn’t respect the sanctity of insanely stupid names.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Sorry I didn’t respect the sanctity of insanely stupid names.

You are making fun of a person who, within the last two years, received death threats and rape threats from toxic people for being named after a comic character and for having a celebrity father. You’re free to make the lazy jokes, but it’s literally been weaponized against her before

Now talk about something that’s streaming somewhere

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I’ve literally never heard of her until this page. Not a single person here even said a bad thing about her other than “Kevin Smith named his daughter that?”

I’ll stop talking about it from here, but you are projecting a bunch of unrelated stuff onto what was a mild jokey conversation and no one here has anything to do with whatever you are talking about.

Yes We can go back to talking about steaming movies now.

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Feb 27, 2020

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

veni veni veni posted:

Yes We can go back to talking about steaming movies now.

If we're talking about steaming movies, Yoga Hosers is on Netflix and it's the steamiest.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I will confess my daughter's middle name is Ender. She was born in the late 90's, and I had no idea at the time Orson Scott Card was a nut job or that they would make a lovely movie one day (I shouldn't have been surprised). She likes it (read the books early on), but since it is her middle name and Ender is not that big pop culture wise, it hasn't been a big deal at all. Still I was an idiot.

My son's name is Dax, but I got that name from Dax Riggs (no one knows him, but he is one of my favorite singers). I am just hoping that Dax Shepard (who wasn't even famous at the time) doesn't screw that up.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

My kid is 24, but I forced them to change their name to Baby Yoda Ironman

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

My kid will be named Droopy McCool after the saxophone playing dog in Return of The Jedi. Not only is it an obscure reference, but it has “Cool” in the name so he won’t get made fun of. It’s basically foolproof.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Stevie Lee posted:

hell yeah, Altered Carbon season 2 is up.

also, apparently Babylon Berlin s3 is getting added to netflix next month.

heck yeah, I just finished Witcher and I need some more weird poo poo to watch

And I haven't even seen season 1 of Babylon Berlin.

I'm just watching Father Brown a bunch since I've read on this thread that all my British Murder Shows are going to some rear end in a top hat network that wants to hog them all.

e: I know a kid named Tesla. In 20 years, I wonder if it will have the cultural cache of "DeLorean."

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Penn Jillette's daughter is named Moxie Crimefighter Jillette

I've never checked out Altered Carbon. Maybe after I'm done with Hunters

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

I've always wanted to hate that name but just can't for some reason.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

pahuyuth posted:

Penn Jillette's kind of a gross dude, but the name is somehow fine IMO.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

pahuyuth posted:

I've never checked out Altered Carbon.

First season is very cool if you're into that sort of thing, even if it gets a little too anime and there's a lame c-story. Reviews for this season have been middling, though.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

pahuyuth posted:

I've never checked out Altered Carbon. Maybe after I'm done with Hunters

Do you like R-rated Batman & Robin (1997) mixed with bad 90's Sci-Fi Channel original series? Because that's what the show felt like to me, corny and graceless, but I seem to be in the minority on this one so give it a shot I guess.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Human Tornada posted:

Do you like R-rated Batman & Robin (1997) mixed with bad 90's Sci-Fi Channel original series? Because that's what the show felt like to me, corny and graceless, but I seem to be in the minority on this one so give it a shot I guess.

No, you are 100% correct. I like some of what it did and I will be watching season 2, but it was a bad show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I really tried to be on board with Altered Carbon but came to the same conclusion about 3 episodes in and stopped watching.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

I would never accuse Altered Carbon S1 of being "good," and encourage no one with discerning taste to watch it. I enjoyed it for being weird, sloppy, and a drug-addled version of a 90's era Sci-Fi Original.

e:fb

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Feb 28, 2020

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

Inspector Hound posted:

Clerks was good, but they should have gone with the original ending where he gets shot.

Nah that would have been too much of a bummer for a semi dark comedy I think.

Speaking of original/alternate endings everyone should check out the one for Fatal Attraction. For you young bucks it's a Michael Douglas flick from back in the day where he has an affair with a woman and she starts stalking him and his family. It's an okay movie but that alternate ending is fuckin bananas.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

pahuyuth posted:

But that's a great name (unless it's a reference?)

And yeah definitely check out Altered Carbon, it's great

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Franchescanado posted:

You can literally go by any name you want. My grandpa’s name was Elvin, only ever went by Billy his whole life. No other part of his name is related to Billy, he just preferred it. No one asks for legal proof of your name except for forms.

Also Kevin Smith’s daughter loves her name, so who gives a gently caress

People did this all the time back in the day, but I think they do it less now because we live in a paper-work heavy, digitized society. I work in a nursing home and half the people don't go by their own names, but I don't many people much younger who do.

I was talking to a Jamaican-American friend of mine and he said that he has aunts he can literally not remember the legal name of, so the tradition is apparently alive and well in less bureaucratic parts of the world(he also said his mom's legal birth date and her actual birth date are a month apart).

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Don't have children, have lots of cats that you can name whatever without having to worry about giving them a complex.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It must be a paperwork nightmare that so many old people named "John" went by "Jack"

I've never understood the reasoning behind it either

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde

precision posted:

It must be a paperwork nightmare that so many old people named "John" went by "Jack"

I've never understood the reasoning behind it either

I imagine it’s from a kid being John Jr. so Jack was a nickname the mom would yell and the kid would know he’s in trouble not Dad

Edit: Wikipedia says it’s a diminutive form of John so kinda yeah

Cat Hassler fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Feb 28, 2020