Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I still think the marionette death in #3 is the best in the series. It's just so... grandiose, and visceral, and... squicks me out.

It's a good one too, definitely top 5 in NoES kills.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Feb 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

LesterGroans posted:

All of this is very good and very correct, but you're especially right about the roach motel kill being an all-timer. I still remember watching it at a sleepover as a kid and that kill being seared into my brain.

Brought to Screamin' Mad George, the same guy behind the shunting

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Twin Cinema posted:

I want to revisit the entire Nightmare series, because when I saw New Nightmare, I really didn't like it.

But, the worst kill was the needle kill. Just her arms turning into these little mouths. Ugh.

Most fun was the video game kill.

They also flub the take on the needle kill. Englund stabs her arms, and then realises at the last second that he missed with half the needles and readjusts

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
The uncensored version of the motorcycle kill in NoES 5 rules, it’s some real Tetsuo poo poo

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

if i could buy my candyman ticket today i would

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

say my name, say my naaaaame

when no one is around you

say my naaaame

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Is Candyman a tulpa?

:thunk:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Friends Are Evil posted:

Brought to Screamin' Mad George, the same guy behind the shunting

After finally watching Society a couple years ago it's been such a treat when I revisit a movie I loved and see that Screaming Mad George played a part in it.

aware of dog posted:

The uncensored version of the motorcycle kill in NoES 5 rules, it’s some real Tetsuo poo poo

I bought the NOES Collection Blu recently and did a rewatch recently and the motorcycle kill is a lot more rad than I remembered.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

i think one of the kills in recent memory that really got me was when the dude got eviscerated in shaun of the dead.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

colachute posted:

i think one of the kills in recent memory that really got me was when the dude got eviscerated in shaun of the dead.

That was cool but it’s a nod to a kill in Day of the Dead, so it’s like a good cover of a song basically.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

colachute posted:

That’s from like 15 years ago

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Jigsaw sucks out loud, but its final kill is pretty great.

Also, the ending of Ready or Not had me laughing hard.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

The_Doctor posted:

Is Candyman a tulpa?

He doesn't appear as a pony... Yet

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

That’s from like 15 years ago

15 years ago is recent when you're old

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Iron Crowned posted:

He doesn't appear as a pony... Yet

If it didn't exist already, you just cursed it into existence.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That voice in the Candyman trailer def ain't Tony Todd, so I'm thinking he ain't playing him. It looks more like a possession movie. Also, it's gonna be tough as hell to live up to that Philip Glass score, which does a lot of work in the original.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The_Doctor posted:

Is Candyman a tulpa?

Close, yeah

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

M_Sinistrari posted:

If it didn't exist already, you just cursed it into existence.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Iron Crowned posted:

If you think about it, every movie is a horror movie.

this thread did prove that Sonic The Hedgehog is a mass murderer and thus a horror film. A young child inspects his furry feet for gods sake! You don't get more horrific than that.

the bottle scene from Pan's Labyrinth has nothing on those feet.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Candyman 2020 is a sequel, right? Vanessa Williams is in this trailer and I can only assume she's playing the same character.

edit:
Custom MLPs are the poo poo.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The_Doctor posted:

Is Candyman a tulpa?

Do you consider Freddy Krueger a tulpa? Because I think they're in the same category of monster men.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Iron Crowned posted:

Except The Lighthouse.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

TheBizzness posted:

Except The Lighthouse.

that's a buddy movie meant for Disney+

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Do you consider Freddy Krueger a tulpa? Because I think they're in the same category of monster men.

Not really. Freddy Krueger was a child murderer who existed in real life.

If you only go by the first movie of Candyman, which is what it seems like this sequel will do, Candyman never actually existed. He is rumor and hearsay brought to life through belief and fear.

He's not a ghost because he never was alive. That's why, at the end of the first, Helen is the 'new' Candyman, but with her own mythos and identity. It's not literally Helen's ghost, but the power of belief and superstition taking her form, since 'Candyman' was killed in the fire.

This is why Candyman was a large white man with a red beard in Europe, when spoken of by Europeans, and became an African American man when the myths and rumors traveled to America and into the ghettos and projects. The form is malleable and ever changing with the times.

If I had to assume, the new movie will end with the lead becoming the 'new Candyman', just like Helen did in the previous film. I'd also imagine that whoever is responsible for most of the early Candyman shenanigans won't actually be the spirit, but we'll see how close it sticks to the original's formula. The fact that the lead is trying to prove Candyman is real and remind people of him IS a pretty fun twist.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Iron Crowned posted:

Life is a horror movie

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

that is to say life the physiological phenomenon not Life the 2017 Alienesque film about a mean space amoeba.

colachute
Mar 15, 2015

FreudianSlippers posted:

Life is a horror movie

actually i've been told by horror movies that life is a movie, but you can't pick your genre.

(name that horror movie)

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Eternally lollin that Tony Todd is a classically-trained Shakespearean actor who literally graduated from Julliard but because hes a 6'6" black man with a natural baritone he's the face of two horror franchises and a notable Klingon in Star Trek

Horrible Taste
Oct 12, 2012

Burkion posted:

Not really. Freddy Krueger was a child murderer who existed in real life.

If you only go by the first movie of Candyman, which is what it seems like this sequel will do, Candyman never actually existed. He is rumor and hearsay brought to life through belief and fear.

He's not a ghost because he never was alive. That's why, at the end of the first, Helen is the 'new' Candyman, but with her own mythos and identity. It's not literally Helen's ghost, but the power of belief and superstition taking her form, since 'Candyman' was killed in the fire.

This is why Candyman was a large white man with a red beard in Europe, when spoken of by Europeans, and became an African American man when the myths and rumors traveled to America and into the ghettos and projects. The form is malleable and ever changing with the times.

I mean if we're just going by the first film, none of those elements you bring up from the Clive Barker short story like the legend being European or Candyman originally being a bearded white guy are mentioned in the movie at all. In fact IIRC the movie directly contradicts the legend being from Europe in the dinner scene where Purcell says it began in America in 1890.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Shrecknet posted:

Eternally lollin that Tony Todd is a classically-trained Shakespearean actor who literally graduated from Julliard but because hes a 6'6" black man with a natural baritone he's the face of two horror franchises and a notable Klingon in Star Trek

Kurn was awesome though.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

Candyman trailer look good but I'm apprehensive that that is Tony Todd in those moments we do see him.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Shrecknet posted:

His Instagram is good as hell too, it's all stuff like "here's a cool meal I made" or "here's a cool hotel I stayed at, people say it's haunted" just like, generic middle aged Insta posts

Anisocoria Feldman
Dec 11, 2007

I'm sorry if I'm spoiling everybody's good time.

colachute posted:

say my name, say my naaaaame

when no one is around you

say my naaaame

I got five on it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Anisocoria Feldman posted:

I got five on it

He’d have ten on it, but you know, hook.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Decided to watch Bad Moon (1996) for the first time and uh... well I didn't expect it to open like this is all I'm gonna say. Wow.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Just wait for the goddamn ending.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
For the people who've seen The Invisible Man, can you let me know if there's any rape or animal killing?

Thinking about a date night movie but the gf has some hang ups about animals and I'm not a fan of rape.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

TheKingslayer posted:

Decided to watch Bad Moon (1996) for the first time and uh... well I didn't expect it to open like this is all I'm gonna say. Wow.

I watched it for the first time in October and it's a drat treat. Really good werewolf effects, and they definitely show off the gore in the opening.

I also love that the protagonist is a dog.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Watched Wounds tonight on Hulu and I can't believe what a beat for beat adaptation of the novella it was. I loved it, really good weird show burn. Suggested if you need to kill 90 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

LesterGroans posted:

I watched it for the first time in October and it's a drat treat. Really good werewolf effects, and they definitely show off the gore in the opening.

I also love that the protagonist is a dog.

Just got to the end and yeah, I had low expectation but was pretty impressed. The gore especially throughout the movie was really detailed and done in a way I can't really recall seeing in too many others.