Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Leperflesh posted:

Back in the olden days, illiterate people signed things with just an x. Those were legal documents too.

As an aside, in some american jurisdictions people are being randomly disenfranchised because the signatures on their mail-in ballots don't match the signatures on their original vote registration form, as determined by random poll workers with zero training in handwriting analysis. This further underscores how stupid it is that we make anything legally dependent on signatures, but the problem of what to replace them with (biometrics?) is huge and difficult.

What’s extra disgusting about this is that the process for updating the signature specimen on file with the state can be cumbersome, like “call the county secretary’s office to ask what the process is because it’s not published anywhere, take two hours of buses to the county seat to scribble on a pad in the presence of a witness”.

It’s not just a vanity thing. A person may need to update the signature on file because they have since acquired a disability that changes how they write, or because they don’t remember how they swished the pen fifteen years ago. Maybe they signed with three cat heads.

The power move here is to examine the signing agent’s signature and declare it doesn’t match because there is no objective measure of these things.

Like someone in that thread said, “What if your arm is in a cast? You can’t close on a house?”

The signing agent had a stick up his rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

On some documents a name being printed, not even by hand, just printed on the document by a printer or type writer is a signature.
You can type your name onto a pdf and it's a signature. The purpose of a signature isn't to make sure your handwriting matches, it's to acknowledge that you accept the terms.

Leperflesh posted:

Specifically, your assertion that changes don't proliferate if they're worse at conveying meaning is wrong: changes proliferate if people use and adopt them; and people do so for a variety of reasons, many of which are specifically (albeit perhaps unconsciously or unintentionally) to obfuscate meaning. That's literally what slang is for/why slang happens: identifying within an ingroup and differentiating from everyone else.
That's an example of being better at conveying meaning though. Specifically, to the in-group, who are the intended audience.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Tiggum posted:

That's an example of being better at conveying meaning though. Specifically, to the in-group, who are the intended audience.

Of which the jargon used in things like technical writing or academia is an excellent example of.

To give a gross example, there's a reason why in formal syntactic papers I just say "c-command" instead of "the relationship between two sister nodes such that they are both dominated by the same and only one node and the relationship between what they themselves dominate". This is 1) me being egregious and picking something technical but 2) you'll notice that I baked in "dominate" which is also a technical term. And it's not even the full technical meaning of c-command.

There's a reason to use jargon. I could've used something like "velocity" or "mass" or "dipole" but I like using something that's obscure but actually super basic to a certain speech-community. I'd be absolutely gob-smacked if anyone in the thread knows what I'm talking about, but you'd flunk out of my Syntax I course if you didn't know what that word meant inside a month.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Of which the jargon used in things like technical writing or academia is an excellent example of.

To give a gross example, there's a reason why in formal syntactic papers I just say "c-command" instead of "the relationship between two sister nodes such that they are both dominated by the same and only one node and the relationship between what they themselves dominate". This is 1) me being egregious and picking something technical but 2) you'll notice that I baked in "dominate" which is also a technical term. And it's not even the full technical meaning of c-command.

There's a reason to use jargon. I could've used something like "velocity" or "mass" or "dipole" but I like using something that's obscure but actually super basic to a certain speech-community. I'd be absolutely gob-smacked if anyone in the thread knows what I'm talking about, but you'd flunk out of my Syntax I course if you didn't know what that word meant inside a month.

:ok:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

I did say I was using something super basic but obscure right there in the post. Feel free to just glass your eyes over the definition.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

'Sup.

The problem is that this isn't unique to English so you might as well be talking about how we should keep the tides back with rakes.

English has stupid stuff like noun strings and putting adjectives ahead of nouns that make it harder to disambiguate ambiguous words through context. It also doesn't have consistent or (often) any conjugation of verbs (see "I read the book" - did you do it in the past, or are you doing it now?). I realize lots of other languages have this problem or similar problems, I'm not like... trying to say this problem is somehow fixable.

But learning some Spanish was a goddamn revelation to me in how many ways it is better than English. Gimme that noun up front and then all the adjectives that apply to it right after, please and thank you! But then there's gendered nouns and ughhh, so it's not like Spanish is perfect either!

The point of all this is that I'm allowed to be annoyed about dumb stuff in this language and yes, some of the stuff in this language is dumb as hell and it's kinda weird to try to argue that it's not. I'm not, however, trying to hold back the tide; the ship has already sailed on "PIN" and I'm fully aware of that and all I did was comment on it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

O yeah comment away. I do too. But I do it as a passive observer.

Like, literally every complaint you just gave applies to Chinese but way, way harder. Like object-object relative clause constructions. Woof. Reading those is like getting tazed and that ain't just me, that's just a problem.

Basically, all languages are kind of equally dumb. They'll just find new and exciting ways to be dumb. With the understanding that I love them being dumb and study them for it to understand universals about human brains.

Give up. Embrace the change. Enjoy weird stuff and think it's neat. Define things in a technical context but that's the best you can do. Natural language finds a way. *Extreme Jeff Goldblum voice*

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Something that fits this thread and also the derail - Travelers Checks. Are they still a thing? The last time I purchased them was almost 30 years ago when I was traveling overseas. They were a pain because you had to sign each one in the presence of the clerk who sold them to you.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!
Do phone books count as older media? One thing that is invisible to people who grew up without them is the practice of naming your business so that it floats to the top of an alphabetized list in the yellow pages, like an analog form of SEO.

(This post brought to you by the A-BOY PLUMBING sign I just drove by.)

saintonan
Dec 7, 2009

Fields of glory shine eternal

MightyJoe36 posted:

Something that fits this thread and also the derail - Travelers Checks. Are they still a thing? The last time I purchased them was almost 30 years ago when I was traveling overseas. They were a pain because you had to sign each one in the presence of the clerk who sold them to you.

Not really, no. Credit card acceptance is a lot higher than it was 50 years ago, and lots of ATMs solve the rest of the problem.

torgo
Aug 13, 2003

Fun Shoe

wizzardstaff posted:

Do phone books count as older media? One thing that is invisible to people who grew up without them is the practice of naming your business so that it floats to the top of an alphabetized list in the yellow pages, like an analog form of SEO.

A-BOY is pretty weak alphabet optimization. If they want to get noticed in the phone book, they need to up their game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dz8RyDRCARw&t=115s

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

wizzardstaff posted:

I literally saw "AAAA Tree Removal" a few months ago. They had to beat out some other person with the same idea who had AAA Tree Removal or whatever.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Anytime you see a scene where they refer to the internet as simply 'the net' would seem like a pretty dated reference.

That, and anytime you see a pager go off.

Also, anytime they refer to Blockbuster home movie rental

EXCEPTION-In Captain Marvel, because well, the entire movie takes place in the 90s, plus they dealt with that reference pretty well.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011

Vietnamwees posted:

That, and anytime you see a pager go off.

Doctors in the US still use pagers. Younger kids are very curious about what these strange devices are.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Vietnamwees posted:

Anytime you see a scene where they refer to the internet as simply 'the net' would seem like a pretty dated reference.

or the Information Superhighway, or (increasingly) even "the World Wide Web" (people don't even have to type www anymore).

Mr. Bones
Jan 2, 2011

ain't no law says a skeleton can't play the blues

wizzardstaff posted:

This is how Apple, Amiga and Activision chose their names - because they would come before Atari in the phone book.
Two of the co-founders of Activision later went on to start a company called Accolade, a name they chose because it would be listed ahead of Activision.
Garry Kitchen, formerly of Activision, took the same approach when he started Absolute. Same thing for Acclaim.
This is just a theory, but I suspect that Trip Hawkins chose to name his company 3DO so it would be the first video game company listed in the phone book.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

An entire subplot of ANNIE HALL is the character who is a doctor and every time he changes location he calls into his service and says he'll be at XX phone number until 5 and then XX phone number until 7, make it 7:45, and on and on. It's a big running gag and modern audiences may not realize that this is literally the only way his practice could get hold of him in an emergency. Like, he's obsessive, but it's an exaggeration of a very real behavior.

Along those lines, nobody under 50 gets the bit where Woody Allen says "I have Marshall McLuhan right here..." and pulls the media theorist into a line to explain that somebody has misunderstood his book.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

An entire subplot of ANNIE HALL is the character who is a doctor and every time he changes location he calls into his service and says he'll be at XX phone number until 5 and then XX phone number until 7, make it 7:45, and on and on. It's a big running gag and modern audiences may not realize that this is literally the only way his practice could get hold of him in an emergency. Like, he's obsessive, but it's an exaggeration of a very real behavior.

Along those lines, nobody under 50 gets the bit where Woody Allen says "I have Marshall McLuhan right here..." and pulls the media theorist into a line to explain that somebody has misunderstood his book.

In my profession , before I entered it, people used to goto the bar. Not to drink ( though some did to excess) but because they needed a place close to the port with a phone they could be reached at before beepers and cell phones.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Vietnamwees posted:

Been rewatching The Sopranos and Meadow rebuffs Tony’s drunken bonding attempt with “I have to get on the internet!” The Sopranos is now a wonderful period piece in addition to just aging well.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Tiggum posted:

You can type your name onto a pdf and it's a signature. The purpose of a signature isn't to make sure your handwriting matches, it's to acknowledge that you accept the terms..

Only in some parts if the world. At least a few years ago, in many European countries electronic signatures were not legally binding: paper and ink were (are still?) required for things like employment contracts.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Krispy Wafer posted:

And the secret to forging is to do it upside down. It's also how you should compare signatures.

I want to know more about this

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ynglaur posted:

Only in some parts if the world. At least a few years ago, in many European countries electronic signatures were not legally binding: paper and ink were (are still?) required for things like employment contracts.

I’ve heard that signatures must be with ballpoint in China, the idea being that the impression in the page provides security.

Then there’s Japan and the hanko used to stamp documents.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Platystemon posted:

I’ve heard that signatures must be with ballpoint in China, the idea being that the impression in the page provides security.

Then there’s Japan and the hanko used to stamp documents.

Not that I know of? I haven't been literally everywhere in China, but I've covered a pretty fair area and they never complained about my fountain pen. Now that I think of it, I can't remember even seeing a carbon-copy ever in China, but that might be my memory being wonky. But lots of people in China, especially older people, don't write with ball-points. Fountain pens legit just write Chinese characters better than ball-points.

Also I had an ex who lived in Japan for ages, but since she wasn't Japanese she didn't have a hanko. So she went to a 100 yen store and bought like a little Hello Kitty stamp and just used that for like 3 years. She had bank accounts, leases and a god drat marriage certificate all with that same stupid stamp, much to the chagrin of anyone who had to process these forms.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Nobody below about that age is gonna get anything about Bananas, either.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sorry, Wrong Number revolves around a woman who picks up her phone, gets "crossed wires", and overhears part of a telephone call in which two men plot to murder an unnamed woman.

I think all the cries of "Hold the front page!" probably don't make sense to people who don't know about physical printing, and that it is possible to change just one two-sided (technically four, both sides of the piece that folds over to become the front and back pages) of the paper while leaving the rest untouched. And how many years has it been since there was an extra edition of the newspaper, which is to say one that is brought out mid-day with special content on the front page?

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I think all the cries of "Hold the front page!" probably don't make sense to people who don't know about physical printing, and that it is possible to change just one two-sided (technically four, both sides of the piece that folds over to become the front and back pages) of the paper while leaving the rest untouched. And how many years has it been since there was an extra edition of the newspaper, which is to say one that is brought out mid-day with special content on the front page?

More recent than you think - it just isn't advertised as such anymore. One such went viral a couple of years ago - two copies of the same paper from the same date with two very different views on POTUS's meeting with a foreign leader.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Do centerfolds still exist?

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And how many years has it been since there was an extra edition of the newspaper, which is to say one that is brought out mid-day with special content on the front page?

It's extremely rare in the sense that nearly all newspapers are printed at night now. The Savannah Morning News had a second print run for Obama's win in 2008 because of high demand. In it, a headline about other results was also updated.

Most - if not a vast majority - of cities that had two or more newspapers had both morning and afternoon papers. The Savannah Morning News' counterpart was the Evening Press, which closed in 1996.

On the subject of newspapers and media depictions, the old-timey paperboy, either the one on the bicycle, or the one hawking content on street corners, is gone, too. Nightly print runs mean the paper gets back from the printing facility way too early for a kid on a bike. Instead, you have folks driving what's left of routes at 3 a.m.

late, late edit: outsmarting myself about print times on morning papers.

RC and Moon Pie fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 29, 2020

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Back in the day, the evening papers were for respectable gentlemen.

The morning papers were slop for the unwashed masses.

chippocrates
Feb 20, 2013

Platystemon posted:

Back in the day, the evening papers were for respectable gentlemen.

The morning papers were slop for the unwashed masses.

Wrong way round. Committing Regicide so the morning papers get to break it is a hell of a power move.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Leperflesh posted:

Do centerfolds still exist?

Yes, though the porn magazines that they are most commonly associated with have been taking a beating there will always be pull out posters, maps, and art in all sorts of magazines.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Taking a beating, but giving as good as they’re getting. :pervert:

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Midjack posted:

Yes, though the porn magazines that they are most commonly associated with have been taking a beating there will always be pull out posters, maps, and art in all sorts of magazines.

Magazines?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Actually, they’re called “clips”.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:jerkbag:

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Sorry, Wrong Number revolves around a woman who picks up her phone, gets "crossed wires", and overhears part of a telephone call in which two men plot to murder an unnamed woman.

The Chicago Tribune got a special edition printed and delivered to all its subscribers on 9/11. The news was current up until 11 AM or so that day.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Long-distance calls being a big deal. If somebody called you long-distance, especially during the day rather than the cheaper evening/weekend hours, something really serious was going on.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Long-distance calls being a big deal. If somebody called you long-distance, especially during the day rather than the cheaper evening/weekend hours, something really serious was going on.

Oh, yeah, and long distance calls during national (US) holidays, when the rates were cheaper. 4th of July? Time to call the parents and see how they're doing!

I was living on Long Island when they split Nassau and Suffolk counties into two area codes, when long distance call billing was still a thing. That was a total poo poo-show because suddenly you could be calling someone a mile away and it was all "am I gonna be billed for this?!" confusion.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

JacquelineDempsey posted:

Oh, yeah, and long distance calls during national (US) holidays, when the rates were cheaper. 4th of July? Time to call the parents and see how they're doing!

I was living on Long Island when they split Nassau and Suffolk counties into two area codes, when long distance call billing was still a thing. That was a total poo poo-show because suddenly you could be calling someone a mile away and it was all "am I gonna be billed for this?!" confusion.

I still have my (516) area code on my cell phone. I will never switch to (631)!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Atlanta had the largest 7 digit dialing area and the local Bell was VERY proud of this.

A lot of signs with hastily added (4) or (7) for a while when 10 digit dialing became mandatory.