Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Android Blues posted:

(I don't think I was going off on a tangent, btw? You asked me to explain my position, and I did.)

It's simply that you rule out one specific way of coping with death and then discuss why you ruled it out without explaining what alternatives you would want to take their place. Said discussion does help justify your position, but it also leaves your initial answer incomplete. Thank you for completing that answer, by the way. That's all I was really curious about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Really the biggest problem with science-based immortality is it's not just the decay/fraying of DNA that you'd need to fix, but cancer itself. Otherwise, the longer you live, the more the cells divide, and as the cells divide the chance that one of the new cells will gently caress up and go haywire approaches 1. Immortality means that cancer becomes an inevitability. It's just a matter of how lucky you get. If you're cells weakening by the aging process doesn't kill you, the tumours you'll develop in your vital organs probably will. Curing cancer and stopping death are necessarily the same breakthrough, without the former, the latter won't matter.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Khanstant posted:

It's kind of weird to frame our morality in this hypothetical of a magic immortality somehow arising (oh but it's science somehow..okay).

clinical immortality is a way of creating something like an afterlife in a rationalist, materialist framework. it serves the same function as heaven but for atheists. the "with science, somehow" is critical because it has to be both handwavey enough to be desirable while also removing enough supernatural assumption to be plausible

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean not really. The material causes of 'aging' and cell death are known, we are beginning to handle cell manipulation, and we have examples of other forms of life that aren't subject to cell death in the same way we are. This leads to the question "Is there any biological need for death?". And the answer is "No.". There is no biological reason for why things need to die. Then there is "Can we do something about the limitations of our biology and eliminate natural aging and death?". And the answer is "I don't know, maybe? Probably?". Followed by a shrug emote. :shrug:

It's academic to all of us, we are going to be centuries dead before they crack this one, but in light of a show about how to live a fulfilling life whose climax was the inevitability of death and it's purpose in giving life meaning? It's fair to go "Do you think people would *actually* think that way if death really was only a choice and not a constant?".

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Clinical immortality is just science's way of having you work as a Sam's Club greeter for eternity instead of having the sweet release of death after 60 years.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My main thinking is that while I'm in no hurry to die, I don't mind the idea that it'll happen. I'll live my life, every stage will have good and bad moments, but eventually my story will end and I won't have to care about anything anymore. By the time it gets closer of course my opinion will probably have changed when I'm actually facing it, but where I am now I'm fine with it. I don't think death will give my life further meaning or anything, but it's just a thing that will happen and I can't stop it forever, so why worry about it? I'm mid-30s, I'm not gonna waste 50 years being afraid.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Mulva posted:

This leads to the question "Is there any biological need for death?". And the answer is "No.". There is no biological reason for why things need to die.

if you mean biological as in is it necessary for organisms to just stop living because of age, then maybe not. there are a few rare immortal organisms. but biology also implies an ecosystem, in which organisms consume one another to perpetuate their own lives and cause death to each other. as discrete entities we are also inseparable from the ecology web which sustains us. the implication of an ever growing population of immortal humans is also terrifying in ecological terms, unless we use other magical escape hatches like "space colonization" and "synthetic food" and so on

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.
Long term memory must have a hard limit somewhere.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Thranguy posted:

Long term memory must have a hard limit somewhere.

Howard Taylor actually went into this exact thing in Schlock Mercenary. "Eventually less was deemed new enough to warrant being put into long term memory. Soon, years went by without notice, and life started to lose meaning and value, at which point people had more wars."

Then sci fi uploaded minds to a computer, etc etc.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

luxury handset posted:

the implication of an ever growing population of immortal humans is also terrifying in ecological terms, unless we use other magical escape hatches like "space colonization" and "synthetic food" and so on

The planet can comfortably house a multiple of our current population, and the trend of development is less babies happening, to the degree some areas have a negative growth rate. Obviously when you remove illness and aging ANY birth is a positive growth rate, but it's not an immediate and intrinsic kill switch for life on the planet. If we got our poo poo together tens of billions of people is fine. Build up, build down, build green, focus all the energy you would on a massive army on a massive social development core and this isn't even hard. This won't happen, but it could. There's nothing *actually* impossible about it.

Also you keep saying "Magic" for poo poo when it's just hard or complicated. We already have 'synthetic food'. It's not worth making because it costs too much, and boy howdy is it full of growth hormones and and antibiotics, but we have it. It's only going to get cheaper over time, and better made. We could colonize and terraform the Moon with our current technology. It'd also be the work of centuries and we'd probably have to stop pretending money is a thing, but we have the technology and resources to do it. We won't do it, but we could.

"Magic science that isn't real" isn't the thing holding a lot of this back, it's people being loving morons. Which is sort of the point. Our understanding and tools aren't the problem, the problem is understanding what tools *we are* and changing our behavior. And that isn't the problem [Or remit, for that matter] of science or engineering. We don't need better toys, we need better philosophy.

e: Or possibly more guillotines, either/or

Mulva fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Feb 28, 2020

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Sorry for kicking off this argument, but we've gone way far away from what I was talking about, which is that life has meaning independent of death. Whether or not immortality is plausible or whether it would kill Earth or whatever, who fuckin' cares. I only meant it to be a fantasy hypothetical. "some scientist invents an immortality drug" could just as easily been "some wizard waves an immortality wand" or whatever. The point is, if my (mortal) life has meaning today, becoming immortal tomorrow doesn't make it meaningless retroactively.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.
There would still be no such thing as immortality because the universe will die eventually, so really you have just delayed death a while. There is no existence without death.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Ishamael posted:

There would still be no such thing as immortality because the universe will die eventually, so really you have just delayed death a while. There is no existence without death.

We got billions of years to figure that one out.

*cut to night before the universe dies out, and I'm frantically mixing beakers of liquid together*

"Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress I should have started on this so long ago why did I wait so long"

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

DontMockMySmock posted:

Sorry for kicking off this argument, but we've gone way far away from what I was talking about, which is that life has meaning independent of death. Whether or not immortality is plausible or whether it would kill Earth or whatever, who fuckin' cares. I only meant it to be a fantasy hypothetical. "some scientist invents an immortality drug" could just as easily been "some wizard waves an immortality wand" or whatever. The point is, if my (mortal) life has meaning today, becoming immortal tomorrow doesn't make it meaningless retroactively.

Maybe I'm underthinking it but the point of the fixing Heaven episode as I understand it is dealing with a relatively narrow, practical function of being ageless and eternal--that, given an infinite amount of time in a perfect world with infinite resources, there's no particular motivation for you to ever up and accomplish anything because there will always be more time later to do it in and once you finish it there will still be an infinite span of time left demanding that you fill it.

The point of the suicide door isn't that life needs an ending to have meaning but that it needs the possibility of an ending. If there is no theoretical point at which you could say "Yup, did everything, I'm done" then in the long run (which is, for you, the only run) there's not much reason to actually do anything once you get past your big ticket bucket list items. Whether or not you actually ever reach that point is irrelevant (something that seemed to come across a lot more strongly in the second-to-last episode than in the finale.)

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

luxury handset posted:

really doubting your command of philosophy both material and abstract, here

as thought experiments go "nobody HAS to die" requires a tremendous amount of fantastical assumptions like "also we will ban inequality" and "matter replicators can make food" in order to make it anything other than a complete nightmare

That was a very polite way of calling me stupid.
I’m trying to be as brief as possible, because our long posts in this thread are pretty boring. I understand these philosophies. Philosophies are ultimately opinions. I think there is currently too much debating about apples and oranges. Whether science can extend lifespans indefinitely is not a philosophical discussion. Answering the question whether we should or not is the answer to a different question.
I don’t have any convictions whether or not we should. I just agree with the dude that disagrees with romanticizing death, but that’s still an opinion. The more I learn about different philosophies the more I’m convinced nothing matters (with the belief we do not have a creator with a deliberate purpose for us). It’s fine to disagree, but if you assign a purpose to life, it is much like applying a moral code to society. To elaborate on that would make this even more boring than it already is. If you don’t think this was boring I don’t mind typing a lot more.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

PostNouveau posted:

We got billions of years to figure that one out.

*cut to night before the universe dies out, and I'm frantically mixing beakers of liquid together*

"Oh gently caress oh gently caress oh gently caress I should have started on this so long ago why did I wait so long"

This one made me laugh, thanks

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'm listening to the podcast and finished season 1 of it. Really good stuff, thanks for recommending it.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

PostNouveau posted:

He's more emotionally intelligent than the rest of them, and his stories about his dance crew often contain the wisdom the crew is looking for. I just rewatched the Time Knife one, and Jason convinces the Judge to take a tour of Earth to see how hosed up it is with a story about his dance crew.

He's above all the stakes because he's too dumb to understand how much danger they're in, so he's good comic relief.

He’s also got a certain zen quality to his personality in that he’s utterly incapable of thinking more than 1 step ahead. He exists completely and totally within the present moment and that moment is the only one that matters to him at all times.

It’s not a fluke that he was first introduced as a buddhist monk.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
[quote="Mulva" post="502838195"]
I mean not really. The material causes of 'aging' and cell death are known, we are beginning to handle cell manipulation, and we have examples of other forms of life that aren't subject to cell death in the same way we are. This leads to the question "Is there any biological need for death?". And the answer is "No."

Where are you getting the answer to be "no?" What are you defining as "need." Nothing ever needs anything, need is meaningless without specified or implied parameters and I don't know which you're using to answer this question and wind up with no.

Another thing about this immortality, are we assuming we're also invincible? Can I go swim around inside a sun or would that destroy me, and if so, isn't that option basically just being mortal with a better chance of collecting Social Security?

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
He said basically said what you said. The answer is no because nothing "needs" anything...This is the response to the posters implying we need death or just need to stop fighting it.

I'm going to make the assumption that this is just about "natural causes." That doesn't really change anything about the argument, assuming you can be killed "unnaturally."

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

The Good Place; the Podcast - Thanks for listening now go drink margaritas through a twizzlers straw until you pass out on your vibrator.

Thank you Mark Evan Jackson (he played Sean) for one of the most enjoyable podcasts of all time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

I watched through the whole show and:

swickles posted:

The single best line in the show for me was simply "Chidi, wait up!"

This is the moment that really stuck with me from the finale. Jason's final line is so great to me because it feels like there are two ways to read his actions. On the surface, he's optimistically misreading the situation. He doesn't get what going through the door really means, after all this time, but spends his end happily thinking he's about to hang out with his longtime friend. This also makes me think back to one of the funniest moments of the show where he reluctantly suggested calling the cops on the Bad Place. He leaves the show on a joke.

But then there's another take, which Mike Schur brought up on the podcast. Jason is optimistically reading the situation correctly. He knows what's up. He gets what going through the door means. He may not understand what will happen to Chidi and himself when they travel through, but he wants to face this uncertainty and new existence with his friend. It's a perfect final gesture for someone who is really dumb, yet strangely wise at times.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I always like Jason but the finale made him my favorite, everything with him was perfect: him deciding to leave first, him waiting for Janet for a thousand years while effectively being a zen monk, the “wait up” like, and Michael affectionately naming his dog Jason. Everything was so well done and a perfect end to the character and his relationships, and most of it made me tear up.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's important that Jason not feel like he was pressured into leaving, so him making the choice to do it first all on his own is the only way it could have worked.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
So I just stayed up way later than I should have to binge through the end of Season 4 (after watching the rest of the series over the past few weeks), and it was absolutely worth it. What a beautiful show. I wasn't sure how I would deal with going from BoJack Horseman to this, but now, I kinda feel glad I watched these two shows back to back. Both shows really gave me a lot to think about regarding self-growth and becoming a better person. Also, I must say how much I love that someone on the show is a big pro-wrestling fan. You don't reference The Rock's Hollywood heel run and the time Stone Cold attacked Mr. McMahon with the bedpan without know what you're talking about.

EDIT: I also got really big 80s Ric Flair vibes from Michael's look during his "mid-life" crisis.

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Apr 6, 2020

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Well my day suddenly became full:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaBcnMOF6QM

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Thought I would cross-post this here. If you've ever played the party game Mafia, we run play-by-post versions of it in Traditional Games. I am hosting one such game that is based in The Good Place! Take a look and join if you're interested!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3921683

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og0WTK4sobY

Podcast: The final installment of the 3-part series of fan interviews was put online today. It’s been really charming listening to people from all over the world discuss the show and its impact on their lives. Here are a few video highlights from each of the episodes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-z-P6VuhFs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN-TCi0H6iI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTjMADDzyeI

Blu-ray: The UK S3 doesn’t have extended episodes, boo. But Shout! Factory is releasing the complete series on Tuesday (May 19)! From what I can tell, it will have the proper versions of S01E01 and S01E13, no idea if there will be any extended versions of S4. No extended cuts have been made available to stream, there may be an embargo for a bit until the Blu-ray’s been out for a while. It’s relatively cheap at $50-ish, if you value physical media at all I implore you to vote with your dollar and show Shout! and NBC that there’s a market yet for physical media. Because you can bet TGP is going behind the Peacock paywall soon, along with 30 Rock (also recently released on Blu-ray,) Parks and Recreation, The Office, et al.

Signage: A teacher on Reddit made this and it’s so :3:

quote:

Made a sign for our front door! It’s pretty simple, but I thought that was in step with the show. And I know the point levels are a little high, but that’s how excited we get when packages arrive...and how annoyed we get when the dogs bark continuously.

And finally, Sunday was National Shrimp Day. Here’s hoping you had a safe one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ddaj0G07sG4

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh dang, I unsubscribed from the podcast, because yeah.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Does this one blu-ray set replace all the previous releases? Full-ish review coming tomorrow.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

pwn posted:

Does this one blu-ray set replace all the previous releases? Full-ish review coming tomorrow.

Might not have all the extended cuts?

pwn
May 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Might not have all the extended cuts?

Not all, sadly.

The show is a story told in 53 Chapters, and although most of these Chapters are individual episodes, there are a few instances where two Chapters are presented in one double-length episode. For the sake of clarity, unless otherwise specified, I will refer to units of The Good Place as Chapters, multiples of which are sometimes housed within a single episode. I will also number them 1-53, rather than their numbers within seasons. Got it? Let's go.

The Bad Stuff

I'm getting this out of the way first, as I've only three complaints about this set, and there's a lot of Good Stuff to get to. Sadly, NBC and Shout! Factory dropped the ball in the matter of Chapters 1, 2, 12, and 13. Just like their earlier S1 DVD release, these Chapters are presented as the double-length episodes that originally aired on NBC, rather than the discrete episodes that were briefly available for streaming, and that are on the UK S1 Blu-ray set. It is very disappointing that the extended versions of Chapters 1 and 13 are not in this set, as Shout! had them listed individually on their own site when they announced the set, and it means that, since to my knowledge there is no where to stream these versions, you still (sigh) need the UK Blu-ray of season 1 to see them. And a player which can play Region B discs, of course.

The second Bad Thing is technical. The discs were a bit buggy in my player, especially the bonus features disc, which I had to reboot after every video because it would lock up when it came time to return to the main menu. We have taken the good authoring houses for granted. It feels like it was made by someone trying to hack their way through Adobe Encore (I should know, as I have hacked my way through Adobe Encore.) But players vary, so too may your mileage. Thankfully the bulk of these woes is relegated to disc 9. The rest (mostly) work fine, barring a slight error where, when I let the main menu loop 4 or 5 times, the buttons, and ability to highlight buttons, just... disappeared. This is easily remedied by getting to it sooner than later, but it's still sloppy-rear end authoring.

And finally, the five episodes (eight Chapters) which are broadcast-length, have the broadcast credits. Meaning the credits run over the final seconds of the show, rather than having their own screen. This looks trashy, and one of the reasons I buy physical media is to have the clean, "real" version of a show. This is obviously my personal peeve, but I wanted to mention it. Thankfully, the finale, despite being broadcast length, has the credits on their own screen, which is also how the finale streamed online.

The Good Stuff

Everything else!

Let's start again with extended Chapters. Besides the aforementioned Chapters 1, 2, 12, and 13, the rest of season 1 is all here, and all extended, as they were originally available streaming for a short time back in 2017. Season two originally had streaming versions of all but four Chapters, two of which (14 and 15) were in a double-length episode, but now the other two (16 and 22) are extended. Season three again starts off with a double-length, two-Chapter episode, which again is the same as when it aired on NBC, but the remaining 11 Chapters are all extended! This is notable as NBC only ever put the last 5 episodes of season 3 online as extended. And season 4 has 12 of its 14 Chapters in extended form, but those last 2 Chapters were of course in an extended form when they broadcast, so there's nothing to add. Sometimes these are only extended by as little as about 30 seconds, but hey, it's (almost) all here. These extended runtimes also include the 50-ish seconds that the credit rolls take, and for season 3 and 4, the 3-second "NBC Presents" ident. In the most severe example, Chapter 4, the runtime is 22:33. Take off the credit roll, and that leaves roughly ten (10!!) seconds of extra content :prepop: But the average (I have not nor will I ever calculate the actual, scientific average) episode is extended by about 3 minutes.

It should be noted that the Blu-ray content mirrors the individual season DVD sets from Shout! Factory, but now it's all in HIIII DEFFFFffff

And yes, ALL of it in high definition. I was not expecting the bonus features to be in HD, but they are! Actually it's hard to hell for certain if the table read of "Mindy St. Clair" is HD or not, owing to the low quality of the footage, but the gag reels, VFX featurettes, and other goodies are all definitely presented in glorious 1080p. Everything from the 4 season DVD sets is here, plus the 2019 San Diego Comic-Con panel and the Seth Meyers-hosted finale after show, both exclusive to this set.

Important note: Besides the whole S1 debacle, the other double-length episodes, to my knowledge, were never presented anywhere as individual Chapters, or in extended form.

The Packaging

It's nothing to write home about, but it gets the job done, and it's not grody like some budget sets that stack the discs in a cake. It's a nice 9-disc Elite case, one hub for each disc, inside a slipcover. The slipcover is matte finish, with no spot gloss or embossing or foil or anything else special. The inner print has the episode titles, but no descriptions. There is a small hype sticker on the slipcover.

How does it compare to the previous releases?

Shout! Factory's DVD sets have the exact same content, except the Comic-Con and Seth Meyers bits, and in SD. The only value they have, for me, is the artwork, and the episodes each have the original description, including S3's finale "Pandemonium," that classic: "Various events occur, in a certain specific order." I'm also particular to the season-specific artwork. I've never been partial to big series sets, but that's how TV on home media is done nowadays, so there's no getting around it. It's not worth spending the money on, but as I already have them, I'm hesitant to get rid of them... but I'm mentally ill. Regular people, feel free to pass them up, you're getting lots more with Shout!'s Blu-ray.

The UK has the first three seasons currently, and will presumably have S4 by early next year. S1 has been covered as being worthwhile. S2 is missing two Chapters (16, 22) in extended form, which are on the Shout! releases. I don't have S3 but reviews on Amazon indicate that, inexplicably, it has NO extended episodes. If I still had my downloads of those two extended episodes from S1, or was able to rip from Blu-ray, I'd just make them available to y'all, as NBC apparently doesn't care enough to do so in any form, physical or streaming, stateside.

The Final Verdict

Buy it. If you have $20 to spare and a player that can play it, import the UK S1 set as well. It sucks that Shout! and NBC failed on that front, but it's slightly appropriate; after all, what is more human than to take something perfect, and then ruin it just a little? Yeah, my not-so-inner Karen wants to speak to your manager and not reward NBC with my dollars for an imperfect product, but it's 2020 and we're loving lucky to get this at all, so whatever. There's a pandemic. The president is actively seeking out doctors who'll lie on TV. The CDC has been pressured by the regime to change their guidelines. The GOP is spending millions to recruit polling monitors, the first time since the early 80s that this has been allowed. The world is on fire and in our country, the absolute worst people are shredding the hose, while the second-worst people just ratfucked the only person who could have defeated them, and propped up a senile corporatist into the nomination to lose. In the aggregate, none of this Blu-ray poo poo actually matters. Buy it, enjoy it, try not to be too sad with your time on Earth.

So anyway. Here are the all the running times.

The Good Place Complete Series US Blu-ray info

Season 1, Disc 1

C01/02 42:42 (not extended, credits over end, commentary)
C03 24:54
C04 22:33
C05 26:18
C06 26:21
C07 24:14

Season 1, Disc 2

C08 25:14
C09 24:53
C10 23:47
C11 26:37
C12/13 45:01 (not extended, credits over end, commentary)

Season 2, Disc 1

C14/15 42:41 (not extended, credits over end)
C16 24:16 (commentary)*
C17 23:55
C18 25:23
C19 24:39
C20 23:17

Season 2, Disc 2

C21 23:43
C22 23:59*
C23 24:48
C24 22:47
C25 23:28
C26 24:21

Season 3, Disc 1

C27/28 43:00 (not extended, credits over end)
C29 24:40
C30 24:42
C31 26:51
C32 22:41
C33 27:06

Season 3, Disc 2

C34 24:34
C35 25:06
C36 24:26
C37 23:44
C38 24:12
C39 25:26

Season 4, Disc 1

C40 26:03
C41 23:18
C42 24:33
C43 23:21
C44 23:47
C45 24:55
C46 21:32 (not extended, credits over end)

Season 4, Disc 2

C47 23:50
C48 23:36
C49 22:49
C50 23:57
C51 24:27
C52/53 55:56

Bonus disc

S01 Gag Reel 10:05
S01 VFX 01:16
S01 E112 Table Read 28:46
S02 Gag Reel 07:14
S02 VFX 00:57
S03 Gag Reel 08:50
S03 VFX 02:27
S04 2019 San Diego Comic-Con Panel 50:44
S04 Gag Reel 09:25
S04 Finale Seth Meyers After Show 11:53

*UK Blu-ray has broadcast version, 21:36

UK Edition S01 Differences

C01 26:15
C02 21:31 (credits over end)
C12 21:32 (credits over end)
C13 26:53

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Huh, so in theory, a UK complete set might be more complete than the US one, presuming they use the same discs...

pwn
May 27, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

Huh, so in theory, a UK complete set might be more complete than the US one, presuming they use the same discs...

No, as I said, S2 is missing two extended episodes, and S3, none of them are extended. Only S1 has #content available nowhere else.

There is a French release, but I’ve done no research whatsoever into the matter. Perhaps those French discs are the Valhalla we crave.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008
I just finished this with my wife, and let me tell you, watching it with someone you love, cuddled up together, is the perfect way to experience this show .

It's really nice to have a show that's sweet and loving and hopeful without being cloying. Just one of those rare shows that leave you feeling better for having watched it. I think one of my favorite things is Chidi's explanation of the Buddhist view of existence and death as a wave. I really like the idea of there being a me-shaped wave existing in the universe for a time, before returning to the endless sea.

Narzack fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 30, 2020

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
gently caress, I wish I was ready to die.

pwn
May 27, 2004

pile of brown posted:

gently caress, I wish there were really infinite years of afterlife waiting for me upon meatdeath, rather than nonexistence.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

An afterlife that is better than life on earth in every measurable way.

They never got around to addressing that question raised by the show of 'what is the point of Earth, really'.

Narzack
Sep 15, 2008

pile of brown posted:

gently caress, I wish I was ready to die.

I wouldn't say I'm ready to die, it's more that it's a comfort. Kind of like 'Leaf by Niggle,' the story by Tolkien. It kind of takes the fear and terror out of the afterlife. Just a small amount of peace when you consider that giant unknown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

MikeJF posted:

An afterlife that is better than life on earth in every measurable way.

They never got around to addressing that question raised by the show of 'what is the point of Earth, really'.

There is no point of earth if there is an afterlife. Even a finite one such as what they eventually established in the show. It's the inherent flaws of every movie and tv show about afterlives.