Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, same. I was a big defender of Reloaded and then Revolutions came out and I was like "nope, sorry, you guys win."

A few months ago I rewatched the entire trilogy for the first time since Revolutions hit DVD and also with someone who has never seen the sequels but loves the original movie, and after years of online apologia about how the Matrix sequels (especially Reloaded) aren't actually that bad it was kind of gratifying that both of us ended up agreeing that both of them were bad. So much of Reloaded is just people doing things for reasons that aren't really explained or going places because someone told them and as much as played out as it is to complain about "mystery boxes" the entire plot is just about getting a key to open a mystery box room. Also entire characters and important plot events make no sense unless you play the game and watch the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Presume, if you will, David Lynch was a masked gay canadian country music singer (he could be we don't know who this guy is irl)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VoHzlALxp0

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

I am and it's good. So far it seems more even than season 1. The highs aren't as high but the lows aren't as low either.

Season 1 was cool and sexy and violent and badass, but every time it deviated from the books with its own ideas it was staggeringly dumb, and every scene with the Quellists would have been better replaced with screaming white-noise.

Two episodes in, and S2 seems to have decided that the Quellists are great and we should have even more of them. I'm...not optimistic.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Sleeveless posted:

A few months ago I rewatched the entire trilogy for the first time since Revolutions hit DVD and also with someone who has never seen the sequels but loves the original movie, and after years of online apologia about how the Matrix sequels (especially Reloaded) aren't actually that bad it was kind of gratifying that both of us ended up agreeing that both of them were bad. So much of Reloaded is just people doing things for reasons that aren't really explained or going places because someone told them and as much as played out as it is to complain about "mystery boxes" the entire plot is just about getting a key to open a mystery box room. Also entire characters and important plot events make no sense unless you play the game and watch the anime.

The matrix sequel apologia is as baffling to me as the Star Wars prequel apologia. They’re both just absolutely terrible and I don’t get how in the past year or two huge groups have popped up to say “they’re good, actually”. And, like I mentioned before, I’m someone who actually liked Reloaded for a bit there.

E:

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Two episodes in, and S2 seems to have decided that the Quellists are great and we should have even more of them. I'm...not optimistic.

The Quellists were great... in the book, where Quellcrist had been dead for centuries and they were mostly background. The envoys were also great until they got jammed into the Quellists to make some kind of homogenous YA Summer Camp blob.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Ugly In The Morning posted:

The Quellists were great... in the book, where Quellcrist had been dead for centuries and they were mostly background. The envoys were also great until they got jammed into the Quellists to make some kind of homogenous YA Summer Camp blob.

And when they were cynical anarchcommunists instead of an incredibly simplistic " immortality is baaaaaaad". S2 is on a planet that's responsible for half the mining needed to make stacks, so I can't help thinking they're gonna go even further down that road, and it's gonna be terrible.

Poe is back and owns at least, and every scene with him is a loving delight.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Strom Cuzewon posted:

And when they were cynical anarchcommunists instead of an incredibly simplistic " immortality is baaaaaaad". S2 is on a planet that's responsible for half the mining needed to make stacks, so I can't help thinking they're gonna go even further down that road, and it's gonna be terrible.

Poe is back and owns at least, and every scene with him is a loving delight.

I really preferred how in the books, a lot of people didn’t resleeve more than once or twice, not because they couldn’t afford it but because they were bored and didn’t want to deal with getting old and all that again. It’s way better than the “immortality is baaaad” thing the show did.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Let's say I barely remember the books: Will I give a poo poo

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

That Destiny's Child song really doesn't fit the trailer at all.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Oasx posted:

That Destiny's Child song really doesn't fit the trailer at all.

"Say My Name"?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

zoux posted:

Wait, people actually still read?

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Nerds do. We should beat them up.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

zoux posted:

Nah, it's still cool and sexy and violent and badass. I'm just salty, cos the books had some real meaty sci-fi to go along with it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Season 1 was cool and sexy and violent and badass, but every time it deviated from the books with its own ideas it was staggeringly dumb, and every scene with the Quellists would have been better replaced with screaming white-noise.

Oh yea s2 is way more Takashi and Quellcrist stuff, but way less Quellists. They are mentioned a few times but aren't really there that much.

Overall it was a fine season but I don't think the show is getting renewed since I think this was the third and final book they adapted while they skipped the second one.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Croatoan posted:

Nerds do. We should beat them up.

buncha virgins. bet they all wear glasses.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Nah, it's still cool and sexy and violent and badass. I'm just salty, cos the books had some real meaty sci-fi to go along with it.

Yeah, I just don't know how you get across the sheer weirdness and body/mind condundrums of resleeving without the internal monologue available in prose

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

zoux posted:

"Say My Name"?

That part of the lyrics fits, but the song itself it a fairly generic RnB/pop song that doesn't fit the mood of a horror movie.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Not gonna argue with you but it was fine.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

zoux posted:

I haven't read the books but I thought a lot of S1's story was dumb and apparently those were the parts that diverged from the books

So I expect similarly I won't care about it not being the book story in S2 but it will also be dumber than the book story and that'll be something I don't like

That said gonna give it a watch, here we go

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
The trailer for Tales from the Loop is out, it's based on Simon Stålenhag's art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1htuNZp82Ck

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Oasx posted:

YESSSSSSSSS thanktyou

I've been excited for this for a full year now, funny to see the absolute hugest piece of poo poo on VEEP in a kindly dad role (at least for the one shot)

bring back old gbs fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Feb 27, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

zoux posted:

Presume, if you will, David Lynch was a masked gay canadian country music singer (he could be we don't know who this guy is irl)

That's a really good song

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Oasx posted:

:stare:

how

man I gotta say I really appreciate that Netflix and Amazon are funding all these amazing shows I feel like cable would have never given a shot

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Zaphod42 posted:

man I gotta say I really appreciate that Netflix and Amazon are funding all these amazing shows I feel like cable would have never given a shot

same but i wish that Netflix would actually do more quality control. Amazon's pretty good about it tho,

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zaphod42 posted:

:stare:

how

I've been staring at his paintings for years and I have all my own stories and theories in my head that I've made up over time and there's no way the show matches up with any of it but i dont caaaaaaaaare just show me live action Stålenhag world

I don't think this is from the series the show is based on but it's a sequence of paintings that play out like a little comic and I just hope we get a bit of this side too:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'm watching a show from 2012 and, well, trans people sure have made great strides in public perception in the last decade, huh.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

I've been staring at his paintings for years and I have all my own stories and theories in my head that I've made up over time and there's no way the show matches up with any of it but i dont caaaaaaaaare just show me live action Stålenhag world

I don't think this is from the series the show is based on but it's a sequence of paintings that play out like a little comic and I just hope we get a bit of this side too:

The prestige!

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lurdiak posted:

I'm watching a show from 2012 and, well, trans people sure have made great strides in public perception in the last decade, huh.

Which one

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Oh yea s2 is way more Takashi and Quellcrist stuff, but way less Quellists. They are mentioned a few times but aren't really there that much.

Overall it was a fine season but I don't think the show is getting renewed since I think this was the third and final book they adapted while they skipped the second one.
The showrunners have said that if it continues into season 3 it'll be a completely new story instead of an adaptation.

And it makes sense they skipped book 2 as the trilogy is very loosely connected outside of having the same main character.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Chicago Med, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD and Law & Order: SVU have all been given three-season renewals by NBC.

That means, at the very least, SVU will reach its twenty-fourth season.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of funny how Year of the Rabbit has a special credit that Matt Berry wrote his own stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Plus, he's got the taste!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

zoux posted:

I discovered Orville Peck about a year ago, and he's incredible. If you like Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash, or Chris Isaak, he's your guy. He only has one album so far, Pony, but it's awesome like this from beginning to end, and was my favorite album of 2019. All his stuff sounds perfect for David Lynch soundtracks.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cbvi5iDkao
Trailer for the final season of Future Man.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

muscles like this! posted:

Looks like they got an actual budget this time, unlike season 2.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Hell drat yes

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Looks like they got an actual budget this time, unlike season 2.

I enjoyed the second season but it definitely wasn't as amazing as the first. Especially the entire episode about what Corey Wolf-Hart was doing during the eighties.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

I enjoyed the second season but it definitely wasn't as amazing as the first. Especially the entire episode about what Corey Wolf-Hart was doing during the eighties.

:agreed: And it looks like the showrunners feel the same way as this seems to be more along the lines of season 1 and loving around throughout time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yeah, Season 2 was funny but was hurt by the fact that they weren't time traveling into different eras. This season looks like it corrects that.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
For people who use a VPN to watch iPlayer et Al from the us, what vpn software do you use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

The showrunners have said that if it continues into season 3 it'll be a completely new story instead of an adaptation.

And it makes sense they skipped book 2 as the trilogy is very loosely connected outside of having the same main character.

Yeah if.

S1 worked better as a contained story, S2 is clearly setting the ground for the hope of more seasons to tell a epic story. They dropped more hints and details in 30 seconds about the Elders in one episode then in the entirety of season 1. It's pretty obvious they want to explore that angle but with Netflix's propensity to abruptly cancel shows its not like they can really plan out that much.