Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Didn't think I'd ever see real-life circlestrafing and knife fighting like I do in WoT, but here we are.
:stare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KesSX2K54Sg
now you too can bring home PTSD/survivors guilt vietnam vet action figure. comes with wall that shows him his dead friends.

Stole this from a gbs thread cos it freakin OWNS

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It's like watching a wildebeest ward off a lion

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Didn't think I'd ever see real-life circlestrafing and knife fighting like I do in WoT, but here we are.
:stare:

They don't teach that, right? Who would teach that?

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
I choose to believe that video is clear evidence that Abu Hajaar rolled to safety, found his way into the FSA through a comedy of errors, and that clip came about because he fumbled multiple RPGs over the side of the improvised armored vehicle and the driver couldn't think of anything better to do.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

piL posted:

They don't teach that, right? Who would teach that?

There’s a not insignificant chance they learned it from video games just like us. And if not then I guess it's just the natural course of action one would take when faced with a tank you can't hurt and you don't want it to blow up the tank you happen to be in.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
I think that T-72's crew might want to have a word with the TC and ask him how he managed to miss seeing that APC approaching at a distance.

It's also p funny that after the APC rams the tank and then peels away the tank crew is so freaked out they just loving book it rather than shooting at the retreating APC.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
I have a feeling they were worried it was an VBIED that they hosed up blowing up and didnt want to take the chance.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Was the tank smoking like it was damaged, or is that a normal amount of exhaust for a tank booking it down a road? And yeah, I imagine they were terrified it was a VBIED.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

ded posted:

I have a feeling they were worried it was an VBIED that they hosed up blowing up and didnt want to take the chance.

This seems the most likely. Also neither vehicle seemed to notice the other until they'd passed each other. I think those little scrubby trees block a lot more of the view that is seems from the drone's-eye perspective.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

I mean I know it's getting old and all but... WITNESSED! :staredog:

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

Blind Rasputin posted:

Was the tank smoking like it was damaged, or is that a normal amount of exhaust for a tank booking it down a road? And yeah, I imagine they were terrified it was a VBIED.

I'm guessing it was a SVBIED that failed to detonate? Why the gently caress else would you do that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Those olive (?) trees may have provided decent concealment.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah I'm really confused by that whole thing. I can't understand why the IFV didn't seem to shoot at all, despite getting to the position it was clearly aiming to reach.

I guess if it's an IED that didn't detonate that may explain that though.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
IFVs tend to have autocannons right? If you're that close wouldn't that cause at least some damage

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Milo and POTUS posted:

IFVs tend to have autocannons right? If you're that close wouldn't that cause at least some damage
Depends on ammo, point and angle of impact but it's quite possible to mission kill an MBT with low double digit calibers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

evil_bunnY posted:

Depends on ammo, point and angle of impact but it's quite possible to mission kill an MBT with low double digit calibers.

Technically a 16″ gun is in the low double digits.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Technically a 16″ gun is in the low double digits.

and also a typical IFV caliber.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Feb 26, 2020

NightGyr
Mar 7, 2005
I � Unicode

evil_bunnY posted:

and also a typical IFV caliber.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd1_YJgKtic

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I've played metal slug

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Tanks are stupid because they can't go underwater

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Milo and POTUS posted:

This particular one had a pintle .50, and that's it.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Kawasaki Nun posted:

False. Tanks can go underwater; it's coming back up where they struggle the most.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Kawasaki Nun posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bA3YRNWnMM

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Oh wow tanks are super cool

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

piL posted:

False. Tanks can go underwater; it's coming back up where they struggle the most.

The struggle is real.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

CommieGIR posted:

The struggle is real.

That issue of SGT Rock was one of my favorites.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

torgeaux posted:

That issue of SGT Rock was one of my favorites.

Make sure you ask the Panzer of the lake for its wisdom.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

Why would they do this*?

* not use hell march as the soundtrack

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Make sure you ask the Panzer of the lake for its wisdom.

"World hard and cold... infantry soft and warm"

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I imagine in reality:

“Can we cross that river?”

“They say we’re rated for 5 feet full submersion!”

“Holy poo poo alright thumbs up!” VROOOOOOSPLASHH-

*gets stuck. Swims to land*

“gently caress”

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
Those tank in water videos are how I imagine when I go tearing through 24” street flooding because if I go fast enough I can’t flood my engine I’m pretty sure right

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Blind Rasputin posted:

I imagine in reality:

“Can we cross that river?”

“They say we’re rated for 5 feet full submersion!”

“Holy poo poo alright thumbs up!” VROOOOOOSPLASHH-

*gets stuck. Swims to land*

“gently caress”

I swear I've seen a vehicle of an armored car flooding and everyone inside having to bail out.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

I took a ride into the baltic in this literally same tank in the literally same location at the literally same stupid-rear end speed sometime in 2007, and it was, uh...an eye-opening experience.
Water was pouring in through basically every possible opening, and overflowing over the spray-shield or whatever you call it, and our eastern-German driver smiled at me and the other occupant and said in his best Russian-accent approximation "No worry, Russian tank built well".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pT_rOFdsUwY

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I feel tanks and water are like helicopters and air - just fundamentally out of their element

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/MENA_Conflict/status/1232594363026464773?s=20

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I really want to take that image to the milhist thread and revel in the ensuing brouhaha

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

chitoryu12 posted:

I swear I've seen a vehicle of an armored car flooding and everyone inside having to bail out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTDqcfPUTt0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X79gNYpYO3k

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

I love the commentary in this lmao

Why did they think they could drive the trucks down a flooded road? orders? taking orders too literally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Ok so in reality what happens to guys like that after they sink a military fighting machine in a river. Just immediately kicked out? My gut tells me that vehicle could’ve made it all the way across if they had closed all the hatches.