Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It’s nothing but helicopter parent jokes all the way down

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Grendels Dad posted:

I forget, why wasn't Max Landis online? Was it a self-imposed exile to let things blow over?

He got chased off the Internet for sex pest stuff that surfaced after his utterly absurd YouTube video begging Lexi Alexander to just "talk to me, Lexi!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmbUEYYMZG4

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

that massive thing he wrote about Carly Rae Jepsen's music will always stick with me as the most extra thing anyone has ever done. It's like, one thinkpiece's worth of music criticism spread over 150 pages, a really embarrassing website and multiple videos. It's not even that his opinions are bad, it's just the way in which he expressed them, with the trappings of an insane asylum and the constant "i'm not crazy don't call me crazy" bullshit as if he was writing schizoid instead of just like, normal.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Timby posted:

He got chased off the Internet for sex pest stuff that surfaced after his utterly absurd YouTube video begging Lexi Alexander to just "talk to me, Lexi!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qmbUEYYMZG4

LOL his over the top "golly jeepers, who me?" facial expressions are just insanely grating and not convincing in the slightest.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Max Landis is also a racist, so gently caress that smug loving gently caress.

Anyone that defends whitewashing in films should do the world a favour and check out early because guess what? You're a racist!

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I’ll admit I don’t know about that aspect of him

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I’ll admit I don’t know about that aspect of him

When the live action Ghost in the Shell was rightly being raked over the coals and busily poisoning its own well by not only white-washing in its casting, but also considering yellow-facing ScarJo, M'Landis decided the best course of action was to defend the practice by stating there were no A-list Asian women, and that audiences don't want to see minorities. He made some weak-as-gently caress mealymouthed defence on twitter later, but as a part Asian person, I'd say he can unhinge his jaw and eat my whole rear end, the smug racist gently caress. Apparently us yellows are only allowed to be seen in the background exclusively saying "chingy chongy wing wong ching chong" or some poo poo, while some white motherfucker gets to take our roles because there's no loving way anyone wants to see anyone not white in a leading role. It'll lead to anarchy and civil unrest, apparently.

The best part is that Ghost in the Shell, with its white A-list celebrity star that was the only person apparently qualified to play an Asian person loving tanked, while films with casts that were predominantly people of colour like Black Panther, Get Out and Crazy Rich Asians had huge box offices. It's almost as if people want to see something besides movies where the lead role is WHITE PERSON TYPE C, SUBSET 9 for a change. Not that I'm bitter.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Yeah, Crazy Ex Girlfriend is notable for having one of it's romantic leads being Filipino. It's uncommon to have a male asian as a romantic lead, especially since he was also a Jock.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BioEnchanted posted:

Yeah, Crazy Ex Girlfriend is notable for having one of it's romantic leads being Filipino. It's uncommon to have a male asian as a romantic lead, especially since he was also a Jock.

And dumb as a loving brick too. Breaking all kinds of stereotypes.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I actually do recall him saying that now. Which is funny cuz he’s had one movie that made money

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Alan Smithee posted:

I actually do recall him saying that now. Which is funny cuz he’s had one movie that made money

And it was from a story he developed with someone else.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
If it cheers everyone up, just close your eyes and think of how mad and disappointed Max Landis must be every minute of every day about Bright:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Not Operator posted:

If it cheers everyone up, just close your eyes and think of how mad and disappointed Max Landis must be every minute of every day about Bright:

He got paid a million dollars for it, and it's a movie starring Will Smith.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
He's still mad because the entitled gently caress wanted it to be a billion dollar forever franchise. I'm okay with that.

e: like, he was already rich. The money is irrelevant, the prestige is what he wanted.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
He already knew it wouldn’t, he put in the “if made well” comment so he could blame someone else for it sucking

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Skwirl posted:

He got paid a million dollars for it, and it's a movie starring Will Smith.

It also went straight to Netflix.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

It also went straight to Netflix.
Didn't it fo really well there? Netflix started to talk about a sequel almost the second after it was released.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Alhazred posted:

Didn't it fo really well there? Netflix started to talk about a sequel almost the second after it was released.

I wouldn't trust Netflix pr.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think this fits within this thread's scope, at least re: the social implications:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/27/21156445/onlyfans-leak-not-hacked-photos-videos

The reason I bring it up here is that this kind of sex work is basically within the realm of entertainment media, and it illustrates the way that both formal and informal protections that are extended to wealthy, famous women don't always work for everyone else, and can even be counter-productive.

A lot of the discourse surrounding this leak (which, at least at the moment, appears to be the result of people collecting and sharing images/video, not an outright security breach) revolves around what legal or technological means the people affected have to protect themselves, including copyright law, making it harder to download or share content in a web browser, and so on.

Unfortunately, I think there's... a lot of naivete, among people (rightly) upset about how this went down, about how well either intellectual property law or technological safeguards would be against preventing leaks like this, while at the same time there are a shitload of people using disdain for copyright law in bad faith and showing their whole rear end re: misogyny and feeling entitled to violate people's privacy.

I think we need much more comprehensive formal protections for personal privacy that don't rely on the mechanisms of intellectual property, both because intellectual property rights are wildly overextended in this country as it is, and also because redressing the harm of sex workers being named/publicized shouldn't have to rely on the logic of "incentivizing creativity" in the first place.

But that's also kind of putting the cart before the horse, because the other problem is that the legal system just isn't financially practical for most people in this situation to begin with.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Not Operator posted:

He's still mad because the entitled gently caress wanted it to be a billion dollar forever franchise. I'm okay with that.

e: like, he was already rich. The money is irrelevant, the prestige is what he wanted.

Also the director got another writer to rework the script and then had a pass at it himself, so the end product was significantly different from what Landis originally wrote

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I think this fits within this thread's scope, at least re: the social implications:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/27/21156445/onlyfans-leak-not-hacked-photos-videos

This is pretty interesting but lord knows how you deal with it. I don't think you're ever going to be able to offer a service to people where they couldn't just rip the content for themselves.

I guess it's the risk you have to take though right? If you're going to offer or sell this kind of thing then it has to be with the understanding that not everyone is going to play fair. Not that it's right, but it's naieve to think otherwise.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Yeah, the article mentions stuff Netflix does to cut down on piracy, but pretty much everything popular on there is available to pirates within hours of being uploaded.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Also the director got another writer to rework the script and then had a pass at it himself, so the end product was significantly different from what Landis originally wrote

So it's a script that made it to production then?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1233552613989371905

https://twitter.com/haenelswift/status/1233532667540496385

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Everyone should watch Portrait Of A Lady On Fire, it’s a masterpiece movie directed by Sciamma and starring Adele Haenel that really could have had a shot at the best picture Oscar if it wasn’t locked out for stupid rules reasons, and it deals with the patriarchy. It might even still be in theaters!

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Feb 29, 2020

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
“Bravo, pedophilia”

https://twitter.com/rosamundpirke/status/1233835977229115394?s=21

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Way to read the room in 2020, France.

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

Vagabundo posted:

Way to read the room in 2020, France.

i'm pretty sure the elite in france know that everyone is sick of their poo poo on every level and just don't care

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I’m searching the news, and it looks like it was such an out rage by the French public that the entire board of the Cesar award resigned and they are looking at naming a new board and taking steps to “modernize“

Here’s hoping!

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Kind of wild that this was only two years ago, and was the headwind that #metoo was up against in France:

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/10/577163155/100-french-women-pen-letter-saying-metoo-movement-has-gone-too-far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ku-tRgWZuc

I’m doubtful we’ll get a clear picture for a long time, but I’m curious what kind of studio boss arm twisting was going on behind the scenes to get supporters for this and the letter supporting Polanski from years back

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Mar 2, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Tbf that was like 100 French boomer women. I can’t really think of a Catherine deneuve equivalent here but look at the way white women voted in 2016. Finding 100 in “Hollywood” is doable. It would be the female equivalent of James Woods and Scott Baio sure

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hodgepodge posted:

i'm pretty sure the elite in france know that everyone is sick of their poo poo on every level and just don't care

Yeah France's literary god was just finally "outed" and faced consequences for having young teens giving him oral sex in parks on a regular basis. It wasn't even a kept secret literally everyone involved knew he would find fans who had young daughters and they'd basically hand her over to him as his new "girlfriend".

One of his victims finally managed to get a viral story and suddenly everyone is shocked, shocked that this is going on in France.

edit: Actually turns out its literally as bad as it could possibly be, I wildly understand it.

https://www.chicagotribune.com/nation-world/ct-nw-nyt-france-pedophile-writer-matzneff-20200211-6hyx2awz5jajtp3lji5iwhiyfa-story.html

quote:

Gabriel Matzneff, the French writer under investigation for his promotion of pedophilia, was holed up this month inside a luxury hotel room on the Italian Riviera, unable to relax, unable to sleep, unable to write.

He was alone and in hiding, abandoned by the same powerful people in publishing, journalism, politics and business who had protected him weeks earlier. He went outside only for solitary walks behind dark sunglasses, and was startled when I tracked him down in a cafe mentioned in his books.

“I feel like the living dead, a dead man walking, walking on the lungomare,” he said, referring in Italian to the seafront promenade, in a long conversation, after some persuading.

Hiding is new for Matzneff. For decades, he was celebrated for writing and talking openly about stalking teenage girls outside schools in Paris and having sex with 8-year-old boys in the Philippines.

He was invited to the Élysée Palace by President François Mitterrand and socialized with the far-right leader Jean-Marie Le Pen. He benefited from the largess of fashion designer Yves Saint Laurent and his partner, the business tycoon Pierre Bergé.

From his hiding place on the Italian Riviera, Matzneff rejected the accusations of wrongdoing.

“Who are they to judge?” he said. “These associations of the virtuous, how do they sleep, what do they do in bed and who do they sleep with, and their secret, repressed desires?”

Read the whole thing if you want, but it might make you punch a hole through your monitor.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Mar 2, 2020

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

That is the Frenchest thing I’ve ever read. I think Claire’s Knee is the frenchest movie I’ve ever seen

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I had never heard of Matzneff until that whole thing happened. Okay I'm Québécois not french but still.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Let he who has never imagined getting blowjobs from 8 year old Filipino boys cast the first stone

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

quote:

In 1977, Matzneff signed an open letter calling for three men on remand accused of sexual relationships with boys aged 13 and 14 to be let off. Others who signed included famous writers and intellectuals such as Jean-Paul Sartre and Simone de Beauvoir.

Yikes

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

yeah, I love JPS' anti semite quote too

just gonna have to get a twitter queen to make a shortened clap sized version

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

He looks/looked like a total pedo too.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

MonsieurChoc posted:

I had never heard of Matzneff until that whole thing happened. Okay I'm Québécois not french but still.

Never heard of him before either but he's 83 and was mostly the "intellectual" socialite kind of writer, not a popular author.

If you check who actually signed that petition it's just depressing (it includes Foucault, Deleuze and Derrida). TBF Sartre and Beauvoir aren't surprising since they were in the habit of luring Beauvoir's students into sexual relationships.

A lot of left-wing intellectuals of the period were to some degree pedophilia apologists because they perceived it as fighting against rigid conservative taboos and thought the discussion should remain "open".

YaketySass fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hodgepodge
Jan 29, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 245 days!

YaketySass posted:

Never heard of him before either but he's 83 and was mostly the "intellectual" socialite kind of writer, not a popular author.

If you check who actually signed that petition it's just depressing (it includes Foucault, Deleuze and Derrida). TBF Sartre and Beauvoir aren't surprising since they were in the habit of luring Beauvoir's students into sexual relationships.

A lot of left-wing intellectuals of the period were to some degree pedophilia apologists because they perceived it as fighting against rigid conservative taboos and thought the discussion should remain "open".

From Wikipedia:

quote:

Foucault claimed that perhaps children could consent to sex,[182] defended or promoted the practice of sex with minors,[183] and signed a 1977 petition to the French parliament calling for the decriminalization of all "consensual" sexual relations between adults and minors below the age of fifteen, the age of consent in France.[184][185]

They say you should never meet your heroes, but if you don't, how can you kill them?