Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xaris posted:

i have a deeply visceral allergic reaction to this phrase

elect me god emperor of these forums and i will stamp out this ward crime against humanity with impunity

did you mean war, word, or the actual portmanteau there

(i'm the same way about "yeet" as i've related elsewhere. lost that war tho)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
yeet my shloot

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowcaster posted:

the people will never support your maniacal regime based on madness
Perhaps the same could be said of all moderators.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

MMF Freeway posted:

yeet my shloot

:tizzy:

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

everybody universally agrees those were the best parts of the Warcraft/Starcraft campaigns.

They were the worst part of SC2 because it gave blizz the chance to vomit exposition at you :colbert:

Griefor
Jun 11, 2009

tight aspirations posted:

They were the worst part of SC2 because it gave blizz the chance to vomit exposition at you :colbert:

Did Starcraft 2 not have a skip cutscene button? I've played through all of it (and Novert Ops) and had a blast, but I did my usual thing of ignoring all of the story.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

MMF Freeway posted:

yeet my shloot

pm me

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Xaris posted:

i have a deeply visceral allergic reaction to this phrase

elect me god emperor of these forums and i will stamp out this ward crime against humanity with impunity

So you'd like to posty posty mod 'n banny?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

anilEhilated posted:

Not a fan of the setting. Presenting the Red Army as good guys is pretty loving disturbing for half of Europe.

I was interested until, well yeah.

It would be better if it was French or Czech resistance or something. RTS killing Reinhard Heydrich would be cool.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anilEhilated posted:

Not a fan of the setting. Presenting the Red Army as good guys is pretty loving disturbing for half of Europe.
Eat poo poo.

Nobody goes "the Red Army weren't the good guys" without moving on to expressing their gratitude to the glorious German liberators.

Edit - yeah, the game where you're trying to resist the Nazi genocide - you have serious concerns about the setting and presentation, I'm sure. gently caress you.

Look Sir Droids posted:

I was interested until, well yeah.
Same as above.

I sincerely doubt every Hollywood movie about the US winning WWII and every call of duty before 2010 had you guys bringing up atomic bombs and internment camps.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Feb 28, 2020

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Griefor posted:

Did Starcraft 2 not have a skip cutscene button? I've played through all of it (and Novert Ops) and had a blast, but I did my usual thing of ignoring all of the story.

I'm not sure, but maybe? Some of the missions with the hero characters in them had them monologuing through the level, which greatly frustrated my efforts to ignore the awful writing, especially when Zeratul is whinging about prophecies and portents and such.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name

Xander77 posted:

Eat poo poo.

Nobody goes "the Red Army weren't the good guys" without moving on to expressing their gratitude to the glorious German liberators.

Edit - yeah, the game where you're trying to resist the Nazi genocide - you have serious concerns about the setting and presentation, I'm sure. gently caress you.

Same as above.

I sincerely doubt every Hollywood movie about the US winning WWII and every call of duty before 2010 had you guys bringing up atomic bombs and internment camps.

Nice meltdown.

There's a tabletop wargame called Conflict of Heroes that features the Eastern Front and that name sucks just as much. gently caress Red Army just as much as Wehrmacht.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Det_no posted:

Hey did you like Commandos? Or Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun? Well guess what:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1227530/Partisans_1941/

This looks pretty cool, definitely keeping it on my radar

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ciaphas posted:

did you mean war, word, or the actual portmanteau there

(i'm the same way about "yeet" as i've related elsewhere. lost that war tho)

the last one

MMF Freeway posted:

yeet my shloot
:henget:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Is Borderlands 3 enjoyable solo? I can grab it for $20 from Epic, so if the story and shooting is fun, that's enough for me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

Is Borderlands 3 enjoyable solo? I can grab it for $20 from Epic, so if the story and shooting is fun, that's enough for me.

I liked it solo. The shooting is a blast and the tweaks to the guns are a lot of fun.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/eurogamer/status/1233436624710766592

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Xander77 posted:

Nobody is this quick to leap to accusing someone of defending Nazi genocide unless they're subtly trying to defend Soviet genocide (often of the same goddamn people, at that). Go gently caress yourself, hypocrite.

I do wish more non-russian developers would make games featuring the soviets and just be willing to acknowledge that they were both incredibly awful and involved in some very interesting conflicts that make for good fictional settings. It's easy to understand why this never happens, though. Russians are loathe to admit that their glorious motherland has ever done anything wrong, and non-russians familiar with the soviet era tend to not be too interested in making light of the awful poo poo that was done to them. Western developers only tend to want to make western-focused games and the occasional game set in Japan or China, and similarly for eastern devs. The slavic world and Africa are full of great historical/pseudohistorical settings that no one ever uses because no one knows/cares about them.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Xander77 posted:

Eat poo poo.

Same as above.

Found the tankie

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I remember when the Steam refund policy was supposed to kill indie games

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Xander77 posted:

gently caress off. This is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read here; do you have any idea what happened to Czechoslovakia, Poland, Hungary?

This

Terminally Bored posted:

gently caress Red Army just as much as Wehrmacht.
is the correct answer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Also didn't realize the Partisans had some sort of bad rep, I thought they were basically just irregulars doing guerilla warfare against the invading Nazis?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

why the gently caress would anyone abuse that when they could just as easily pirate the game without actually giving anyone money in the meantime

Andrast fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Feb 28, 2020

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

Played through the whole campaign and DLC with multiple characters without touching multiplayer and had a blast. If you liked BL2 then this one’s a no brainer. The story and characters really didn’t click with me but the gameplay more than made up for it in my opinion.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

gently caress off. This is probably the stupidest thing I've ever read here; do you have any idea what happened to Czechoslovakia, Poland, Hungary?

This
is the correct answer.

ah, yes, the red army is exactly the same as the wehrmacht. after all, one was complicit in the creation of death camps, and the other tore those down, so they're basically the same thing

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Ragequit posted:

Yes. Honestly, I prefer the BL games solo. BL3 was the first time they even had level scaling, which is pretty much required to make matchmaking co-op fun at all.

Also apparently you can skip cutscenes now and THANK loving CHRIST

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Frog Act posted:

ah, yes, the red army is exactly the same as the wehrmacht. after all, one was complicit in the creation of death camps, and the other tore those down, so they're basically the same thing

Holy poo poo. Read more books. The Red Army built new ones.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Frog Act posted:

Yeah, because Stalin didn't have any - oh wait.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Frog Act posted:

Ok now that's funny. I'm glad we can have an argument when Company of Heroes 2 portrays soviets as lovely and also have an argument when another game doesn't.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

we could also just not have this argument at all.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I played a little bit of Deep Rock Galactic yesterday for the free weekend, but I feel like I'm missing something. Any generalized tips on the classes? It seems like someone needs to have a vertical movement skill in order to get to stuff thats high up on walls right?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

engineer's got a GLOO gun from prey, and the scout has a grappling hook, between the two you can typically get to the stuff stuck to the roof

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

anilEhilated posted:

This
is the correct answer.
All the poo poo in the world.

If and when someone creates a game praising the "liberation" of Eastern Europe (particularly post 45), you have my permission to bitch all you want. When you start screeching about the evil Russkies the moment anti-German resistance is brought up - not even the Red Army proper, so like a dozen steps removed from "Czechoslovakia, Poland and Hungary"* - you kinda give the game away.

* Some of these - the ones who weren't German allies - had partisans of their own.

Particularly since (to reiterate) you don't react to every Call of Duty game with "do you have any idea what happened at Wounded Knee My Lai Iraq Korea Hiroshima and Nagasaki".

Mordja posted:

Found the tankie
I'm Israeli. Not a lot of tankies here. Quite a few people liberated from the camps by the Red Army after it defeated Nazi Germany though.

Look Sir Droids posted:

Holy poo poo. Read more books. The Red Army built new ones.
Yeah... that's a lie.

I mean, you could go with "Stalin killed a lot of people" and that would work, but "The Red Army built new ones" is just an outright lie.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Feb 28, 2020

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Cowcaster posted:

engineer's got a GLOO gun from prey, and the scout has a grappling hook, between the two you can typically get to the stuff stuck to the roof

Is there much of a point to the Driller's.... drill? I'm guessing its useful when you need to dig fast during the harder difficulties?

Lightningproof
Feb 23, 2011

Everyone expressing an opinion on the Red Army thus far in this thread has sounded like an idiot, an issue only compounded by the fact that this is the Steam thread.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

anilEhilated posted:

And Estonia

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Can someone give me the low-down on how Deep Rock Galactic actually plays? The whole "procedural FPS with fully-destructible environments" seems pretty neat, but at the same time, I'm also not really into multiplayer and I'd really like to know how well the game would work for singleplayer and what it has to offer in that regard before I take the plunge. The Steam description isn't all that helpful, sadly.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Is there much of a point to the Driller's.... drill? I'm guessing its useful when you need to dig fast during the harder difficulties?

i think it's actually more effective at drilling bugs than it is at drilling walls albeit it is faster than the pickaxe at doing that

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Driller can get to any mineral anywhere; carve a path straight back to the dropship, carve shortcuts between windy rooms, carves out an "enclave" during Salvage missions where you have to defend a point but the box is right up against a wall giving you much more room to work wtih.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Driller can dig ramps up to ledges or higher resources, dig in a straight line to extraction, there’s some nerd poo poo about digging bunkers I ignore but it’s a strategy that exists, drilling gets you a bit of improvised everything