Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

lol i forgot that he'd actually led with that story on the pitch. gently caress josh whedon

insane he got to do avengers after this instead of being rope dragged out of polite culture behind a dune buggy

well why not fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jan 30, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Big Dick Cheney posted:

The theme song may be the worst TV theme song of all time

It's terrible, worst ever? I don't know if it tops Star Trek *wails space-ily*

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

well why not posted:

insane he got to do avengers after this instead of being rope dragged out of polite culture behind a dune buggy

he did like two seasons of masturbating to molly million's backstory in between

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

I'm glad it's dead.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Chairchucker posted:

Firefly was v. fun and good actually.

:hmmyes:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I liked that twitchy sweaty guy who knew Mal from the war and was smuggling organs. He had some good Adam Goldberg energy going on.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

alnilam posted:

I enjoyed the aesthetic but on a whole it wasn't well written, i enjoyed watching it all once tbh, but won't again and wouldn't really recommend it either

If you want outlaw misfits on a spaceship, watch farscape instead :hai:

Cowboy Bebop is good too.

Enterprise's theme sounds like they tried to cut costs by digging up an unused 90s sitcom theme and just slapped it on.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
It's hilarious that movies like "diamonds are a girls best friend" are actually waaayyyy less sexist, and they're not only old, but they're about being a golddigger

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Gross to imagine how many women probably dated Joss and told him about traumatic assaults and then he successfully pitches this poo poo

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

That's why they call him Sensitive Joss Whedon

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

It sounds like they recorded the theme tune on the singers death bed

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Annoying Firefly fans are one of those nerd signifiers like trenchcoats and fedoras where they haven't really been a thing since the Bush administration but a bunch of terminally online people were in high school in the early 2000s and that's when their conception of the world outside their bubble solidified so they still think it's a major thing two decades later. If anything the 2010s were the decade of turbonerds performatively bashing Whedon now that he was mainstream and exhaustingly reciting their laundry list of grievances against him and his oeuvre any time someone mentioned The Avengers.

That said, it was an incredible self-own when Firefly fans pushed for Fox to make merchandise of the show and they successfully got them to produce an officially-licensed Jayne hat...and then Fox issued mass C&Ds to all the Firefly fans on Etsy who were selling handmade ones.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

Annoying Firefly fans are one of those nerd signifiers like trenchcoats and fedoras where they haven't really been a thing since the Bush administration but a bunch of terminally online people were in high school in the early 2000s and that's when their conception of the world outside their bubble solidified so they still think it's a major thing two decades later. If anything the 2010s were the decade of turbonerds performatively bashing Whedon now that he was mainstream and exhaustingly reciting their laundry list of grievances against him and his oeuvre any time someone mentioned The Avengers.

That said, it was an incredible self-own when Firefly fans pushed for Fox to make merchandise of the show and they successfully got them to produce an officially-licensed Jayne hat...and then Fox issued mass C&Ds to all the Firefly fans on Etsy who were selling handmade ones.

I hate joss even more now that I know he’s a nasty sex pervert pitiching bizarre rape scenarios in his lame shows

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica
Check this out, I'm making a western about how the Confederates were right and indigenous people are mindless savages that will literally rape you to death. But get this, it's in space.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

but there definitely are still firefly sick heads out there. Not a great measure but the firefly subreddit has as many subscribers as The Expanse.

2010s were the decade of Joss getting more powerful in Hollywood and the shows that borrowed from him (Supernatural) drawing a lot from his fan base. Sure there has been a little backlash but he’s still getting cheques the size of houses.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

what's joss up to now actually?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sleeveless posted:

Check this out, I'm making a western about how the Confederates were right and indigenous people are mindless savages that will literally rape you to death. But get this, it's in space.

Sick of hearing nerds obsessively smear this guy and his avengers movies

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Smirking_Serpent posted:

what's joss up to now actually?

Hopefully working on another season of the best show ever made, Firefly

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Firefly gave us Alan Tudyk.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

quote:

On July 13, 2018, HBO announced that the network had obtained the rights to The Nevers, an "epic science fiction drama about a gang of Victorian women who find themselves with unusual abilities, relentless enemies, and a mission that might change the world", on which Whedon will serve as writer, director, executive producer, and showrunner.

He’s doing a Ye Olde X-Men HBO show. What’s the bet the cast is a copy paste of the firefly crew?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Still obsessed with powerful young women and their dainty feet.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Still obsessed with powerful young women and their dainty feet.

I will never understand how one scene in Serenity where a character isn't wearing shoes because they were in cryo-sleep evolved into this dumb foot fetish meme.

Big Dick Cheney
Mar 30, 2007

Chrs posted:

It sounds like they recorded the theme tune on the singers death bed

This why I think it is worse than the Enterprise theme. It's lazy. Also I think everyone recognizes that the Enterprise theme is bad but plenty of Firefly people think the theme song is good.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Sleeveless posted:

I will never understand how one scene in Serenity where a character isn't wearing shoes because they were in cryo-sleep evolved into this dumb foot fetish meme.

It's more from last episode where there's the zoom in on feet as the crazy girl walks up all the stairs on teh ship

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
theyre good feet OP

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Chiming in to say that my browncoat friend from high school still gets really upset when I remind him that the end of season one was already poorly written and that the show was lucky to have been killed before it got really bad.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Speleothing posted:

Chiming in to say that my browncoat friend from high school still gets really upset when I remind him that the end of season one was already poorly written and that the show was lucky to have been killed before it got really bad.

It is fortunate the show did end on a high note, instead of getting dredged up and remade into a newer, even shittier series every few years like star trek or star wars.

Lotta projected self loathing in this thread

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

Big Dick Cheney posted:

This why I think it is worse than the Enterprise theme. It's lazy. Also I think everyone recognizes that the Enterprise theme is bad but plenty of Firefly people think the theme song is good.

I mean they think the show itself is good they’re not exactly known for having good taste

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Defiance Industries posted:

It's more from last episode where there's the zoom in on feet as the crazy girl walks up all the stairs on teh ship

I thought there was also a scene from Serenity (during the robbery?) where she's walking barefoot and points out the person who was about to go for their gun.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

also every time i see this book on the shelves i want to kill myself:

God I hope they wind up wrestling atop a volcano and then both fall in.

Xaris posted:

We didn't have HBO and the first season of Enterprise was so bad we didn't watch any follow-up seasons. Firefly was better than Enterprise s1 tho

That is an incredibly low bar to clear.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I'm going to watch the entirety of Firefly in one sitting, dosing myself twice an episode with an appropriately-themed cocktail that a youtube video said I had to make otherwise I'm not properly consumering nerd culture. I very strongly identify with being a "brown coat" because I see myself as a rebel against those who look down their nose at me whenever I recite a fun science fact or other bit of "nerdisms." Anybody who points out that Firefly romanticizes the Confederacy and that we don't really know that the outer planets weren't fighting to preserve chattle slavery don't really understand the complex subtext of this series.

Honestly, I think Big Bang Theory saved my life by introducing me to Firefly. The powerful bonds of friendship and shared camaraderie between Whedon's masterfully-written characters is the kind of thing that society denies to our kind on a regular basis. It's a "crying shame" (as Jayne would say :3) that Browncoat culture is on such a sharp decline. I feel like it has more to offer in these turbulent times than when the series was actually airing! Now, I've never actually read any of Carl Sagan's books (but I own all of them! A couple are still in the original collector's plastic wrap.), but I feel like he would have taken to the browncoat "fandom" like "herpes to a whorehouse." In fact, I think all of history's greatest thinkers would identify with this movement if they only knew it existed.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Smirking_Serpent posted:

also every time i see this book on the shelves i want to kill myself:

Imagine these guys getting like 10 lifetime achievement awards.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I thought it was good. Really bad dialogue in places and certainly not good enough to base your entire identity around but whatever

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

If Firefly launched in 2020 it would never turn into a dumb cult thing unless it treats kink as an oppressed demographic or something idk

I do like the big alliance city ship thing in it. Looks cool as hell.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Bargearse posted:

I thought it was good. Really bad dialogue in places and certainly not good enough to base your entire identity around but whatever

you don't actually have to apologize for liking Firefly, because space + western is loving rad as hell and there's not nearly enough of it.

you have to apologize for thinking it's actually good outside of that stellar genre combo.

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.

Utgardaloki posted:

you don't actually have to apologize for liking Firefly, because space + western is loving rad as hell and there's not nearly enough of it.

you have to apologize for thinking it's actually good outside of that stellar genre combo.

That’s a really good way to put it actually

I did get to meet Morena Baccarin a while back and when I asked her about Firefly she said it was the best job she’s ever had even if the fans were kind of weird.

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009
I watched firefly on mushrooms once. It was not pleasant.

gently caress this show.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Firefly pretty much only existed to put steampunk on life-support for a few years there.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Sleeveless posted:

Listen to the commentary, they pretty much acknowledge it.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
wasn't summer glau's character also barefoot when she was walking through the room full of cowering people and pointed out the person about to reach for a gun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

wasn't summer glau's character also barefoot when she was walking through the room full of cowering people and pointed out the person about to reach for a gun

I’m pretty sure that's a summer glau thing. She got really hosed up feet from doing ballet and doesn’t like wearing shoes

which is not to say that wasn’t a selling point for certain directors...