Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm absolutely best friends with my wife, but I don't have any other friends, so I guess that checks out. We were tight friends beforehand, and we've never really been very social people.

Frankly having found a single human being I can not only tolerate, but actively want to be around 100% of the time is so unbelievable to me I don't want to push it by looking for others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Well generally you're not around your friends 100% of the time. That's more a polycule situation.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

You know, my mother (who I do get along with) has been mumbling a little about how her adult daughters don't talk to her. I was talking to one of my sisters about it and yeah, mom is stuck on this Gilmore Girls vision of a relationship but she's raised four extremely independent women, ages from 23 to 36, who are all extremely busy with their lives and/or young children. I'll happily spend time with her but she's still working and she lives twenty minutes out of town now so you can't just drop in unannounced anymore.

Sending her memes might be a good solution.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
Why the gently caress would anyone want a Gilmore Girls type relationship?

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

Who What Now posted:

I don't know, but I never liked the show, and she did!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Gilmore Girls fans are bugfuck crazy a large majority of the time so that tracks

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Gilmore Girls fans are bugfuck crazy a large majority of the time so that tracks

My mother is not bugfuck crazy but she was never really close with her family and she kind of wants a romanticized codependent relationship as seen on television, while also having raised us in such a way that we are self sufficient adults who are not codependent with her.

It doesn't make sense, but humans rarely do.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

My sister, currently in her mid 40's, unmarried with no children or boyfriend or even pets, loves the Gilmore Girls, and is essentially my mother's loving shadow.

Ironically my sister once told me she hates dogs because she can't respect a creature that indulges in blind loyalty. If I'd have held a mirror right in front of her face as she said it she wouldn't have realised how loving stupid she sounded.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Picnic Princess posted:

My mother told me she refused to like or comment on any of my facebook stuff because she doesn't want that kind of relationship with her child. All while she was liking literally everything my sister posted. Not jealous or anything, just annoyed at the hypocrisy and how blatant the whole golden child/scapegoat thing really is.

My mother in law interacts with my posts though :unsmith:
From all the craziness you shared about your mom, it almost sounds like this bizarro reverse psychology where she's hoping you'll beg her to 'like' your posts or something.

I can't help but think that one reason parents play favorites isn't just because they favor one kid, but they enjoy having their kids compete for their attention. This sounds like an example of that.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Parents wanting to be friends with their kids is so screwy because of the uneven power dynamic over their formative years. Did you bring children into the world because you couldn't make your own friends and you think they're stuck with you no matter what?

Spouses make a lot more sense as friends since that dynamic is based more on equality and actively choosing that person to be with. Hell, each of my previous partners started out as friends initially (and still are).

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

It's a status thing for the narcissists. They see other people who have healthy relationships with their adult children, and they want to be seen as having the same thing or better, but without doing any of the work. I'm no/low contact with my stepmother. I try to be polite to her when I bump into the bitch in public, and she will put on this big act and pretend like we've been friends for years, but only if someone else is watching that she wants to impress. I'm just trying not to air dirty laundry and get out of the situation as gracefully as possible.

"Friend" and "parent" are just fundamentally different relationships. Props to people who can pull off both.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

AuntBuck posted:

It's a status thing for the narcissists. They see other people who have healthy relationships with their adult children, and they want to be seen as having the same thing or better, but without doing any of the work.
drat well-said.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I brought children into the world because I wanted to make and raise new people. It worked. My children have their own strengths and passions, which aren't my husband's and mine, but we overlap enough to talk. I like talking to them because they know things I don't, they are funny, they are kind, and they are smart. That's exactly what I hoped for when I had kids. Now that they're adults, I don't do much parenting, and I certainly don't retain any authority. Most of the time I just hang out with them, and they are great people to hang out with.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
To clarify, I don't think it's impossible or unhealthy to develop a friendship with your kids.

It's a parents imposition and expectation of a friendship that makes it screwy. The forced nature of it automatically makes it not a real friendship.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

To clarify, I don't think it's impossible or unhealthy to develop a friendship with your kids.

It's a parents imposition and expectation of a friendship that makes it screwy. The forced nature of it automatically makes it not a real friendship.

It's not a friendship, it's a hostage situation.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
It's also not the sort of thing you just decide you're going to have. You can love and care for someone -- deeply even -- without necessarily being best buds. But a friendship has to be something that comes naturally due to similar interests, values and wanting to have that person in your life.

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

Who What Now posted:

To be fair Betty White seems like a nice person.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I also think it has a lot to do with the fact they have to ask.

"Why aren't we friends?" is an accusatory question. It implies that I want to be friends with you and am taking steps to make this so, but there is something else that is getting in the way of our beautiful friendship. (It is you! You are being a bad friend, and therefore a bad son/daughter! Why are you always like this? I try so hard only to be let down by you yet again over this thing that could have been so beautiful for us both but you had to ruin it! etc.). If they actually wanted to be friends, it could very easily be phrased as "We should be friends.", or maybe even "It would be nice if we were friends."

and secondly "Why aren't we friends like X?", where X is one of their friends or a show on TV, adds the extra dimension of "I want this thing that I see other people having. But YOU are denying it of me! This makes me look/feel like a bad parent, and it is YOUR fault!"

Neither question says that they want to be friends, neither question says that they want to hang out and enjoy each others company, or be close, or have a hman connection, which is what real friends have. Both questions are ways of punishing/accusing the Estranged Son/Daughter for being a disappointment and less than in the eyes of the parent

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Jeff the Mediocre posted:

To be fair Betty White seems like a nice person.

That's the Golden Girls. Gilmore Girls is about a piece of poo poo hotel owner and her dipshit daughter as they mooch off the woman's ultra-rich parents.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's night and I'm going to be maudlin. I am so lucky in my children. They are better than me, and they like me, and the endgame is everything I could have hoped for. That is all.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Arsenic Lupin posted:

It's night and I'm going to be maudlin. I am so lucky in my children. They are better than me, and they like me, and the endgame is everything I could have hoped for. That is all.
"We are what they grow beyond."

I was floored when I saw that in a goddamn Star Wars movie coming out of a muppet. Some serious truth bombs there.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Pick posted:

*boss who will flip his lid if the ice in his ice water is "too cold" and won't sign off on any document with pink highlighting and will dump long stories revealing huge personal problems on you* : i do all the work around here!!

person from narcissistic family: yes sir. the world would stop turning without you. i brought you a pound of your favorite flavor of jelly beans. i hope this will aid with your extremely genuine anguish

This is me with my boss as and I feeling extremely attacked lol. As the adult child of a narcissist I'm desperate to paper over the cracks in any relationship.

Rockbear posted:

One of the best lessons about people I learned from an engineering mentor: those who resist simple solutions have ulterior motives.

Holy poo poo, this is some spot on stuff. My mother comes up with complex narratives which centre her as the victim/matyr and rejects any push towards objective reality as me being part of the vast conspiracy against her :smith:

Ebola Roulette posted:

Also, to anyone else with lovely parents, do they ever act like you're not supposed to be "better" than them? Like they have "crabs in a bucket" syndrome?

Example: you buy a house, your parent tries to buy one. Or, if they can't have what you have they'll try to ruin it or just generally act like an rear end in a top hat and do things that hurt your relationship with them.

With my mom the more successful I became the shittier our relationship got. If I did something she would try to do it too, or if she couldn't do it she would look for any minor reason to blow up our relationship so that no matter what the focus is on her.

My mother enrolled in uni a year before I did, and completed one subject. She then used that to undermine me by saying she was a university student and she *understood*. She also took credit for my writing ability by saying that as a child I "took all her words". There's never been as aspect of my personality or life story that she hasn't attempted to absorb as her own. "That's what we're like" "we're not good at that" - she doesn't know me at all, and I tell her nothing. I just let her project and then return to my life.

Holidays are a loving nightmare.

I've been reading this thread in abject horror.

bell jar posted:

and it seems to me, that you lived your life, in a foster home in kiev

This made me snort laugh so that's something :gbsmith:

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

quote:

Hi, everyone. I’m introducing myself, as I just joined. I assume my user name will show up next to my post, but it’s Warbler. I decided to join because I was looking for some relief, support really, during a terrible time. My brother died recently, and my 37-year-old daughter (only child) cut off communication with me a little before Thanksgiving of 2018, except for a couple of emails and a phone call when she heard about my brother. She also came to his memorial service, where we saw each other for the first time in about a year and a half. I thought that this death in the family and reconnecting over it might mean the end of this estrangement, but things quickly reverted to the way they were before. This feels like double the grief for me. So I’ve been kind of a mess since returning home last Friday from NYC where the service was – depressed actually (I have clinical depression anyway), crying uncontrollably every day. I’m so deeply hurt, and – probably like many of you – never dreamed my daughter could treat me this way, that this could happen to us. I’ve been very restrained through this, wanting to respect her wish for ‘time and space’ and not wanting to risk driving her further away. But I emailed her after getting back from this trip, trying to tell her what I couldn’t say when I saw her – that nothing’s ever hurt me more deeply than being cut out of her life and that I loved her and appreciated her coming to the service. And a little more. I didn’t expect an answer, and didn’t get one. So I’m feeling helpless with her controlling the whole situation, and pretty hopeless. I know I need to focus more on things I CAN control, but that’s so much easier said than done. At this point, anyway. I won’t try right now to describe the relationship we had, or to explain why this happened, because it’s late and this is already too long. But I’m glad to have found this group – it makes me feel a little less alone. I’m so sorry, though, about all the suffering I’ve come across here, reading so many sad stories. Hope I can make a little difference here.

My daughter asked for time and space and I didn't give it to her because ~my feelings~ and now she won't talk to me!!!!!!!! Can't she see how much she's hurting me I'm sad I have depression me me me me meeeeee.

these people are addicted to being victims

quote:

Hello. Well I’m finally posting. Brokenhearted. My son says no contact. My daughter is in and out of the picture. She wants to ‘be in touch’ and we finally got together for lunch and that was it. She obviously didn’t have a good time, because she didn’t want to see me again after that, altho she will text and we did have a long phone conversation for 45 mins while she was driving home. She texted me not to push getting together and my two close friends and husband all say leave her alone for awhile and it’s SOO hard. I was crushed that she reached out to me to get together, we did 4 therapy sessions during which time she told me basically that she didn’t like me. But she wants something because she did contact me and seems to want to stay in touch. SHe wants to be connected, and doesn’t seem to want anything else from me. I have read in the posts that there is a pattern of the kids coming in and out. Getting in touch, then I’ll say something they don’t like and they disappear. It’s really scary because I’m so afraid of saying something that will piss them off and they’ll go. I can’t believe that things have turned out this way. I should have done better, but I do believe I did the best I could.

I haven’t gotten the book yet but could really use some help with how to deal with other people about this. Specifically, WHAT DO I TELL PEOPLE? I need help here and would appreciate responses to this question. I am so ashamed and am tired of the pity etc I get for not seeing her. I don’t really want to talk about it anymore. I just need to be in touch with people because I am so lonely I cannot afford to pull back from anyone who is in my life.

I have mental health issues. I have a very hard time from within and made it hard for my kids growing up because I yelled a lot and had other negative behaviors that drove them away. I take responsibility for that. Problem is, I haven’t done well dealing with my problems because they are so extreme. My kids are actually great. No complaints. I take responsibility for this. Another thing that makes it worse is that they are very close and talk every day and I know they spur each other on.

I look forward to hearing from folks. What do I tell people?

i'm editing this post to add this one too because i'm fascinated by that small glimmer of self-awareness and apparent responsibility-taking. there might be hope for this one?

Sisal Two-Step fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 27, 2020

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

Sisal Two-Step posted:

My daughter asked for time and space and I didn't give it to her because ~my feelings~ and now she won't talk to me!!!!!!!! Can't she see how much she's hurting me I'm sad I have depression me me me me meeeeee.

these people are addicted to being victims

i'm editing this post to add this one too because i'm fascinated by that small glimmer of self-awareness and apparent responsibility-taking. there might be hope for this one?

It's par for the course for lovely parents to use an event to elicit sympathy from others who aren't familiar with the situation with their kids. This type of poo poo will get worse as the parent gets older as well: if they start getting sick as they age, they'll use it as a tool to gain sympathy from people, telling others how their evil heartless child won't even talk to them when they're (probably not actually) dying. This parent is most likely telling anyone who'll listen how horrible their daughter is for doing the bare minimum expected of them by showing up to her uncle's memorial service and not talking to her father/mother.

ElHuevoGrande
May 21, 2006

Oh. . .
Popping out of lurking to say this thread finally got me into therapy for my own narcissist parents. Hearing all these crazy rear end horrible women speak in my mother's voice finally made it click for me that this stuff isn't normal, and most parents actually love and support their kids. Thanks thread, but also :(

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
"WHAT DO I TELL PEOPLE?"

When I first cut contact from my family I got versions of "What are we supposed to tell friends/coworkers/etc?" from several people, as thought it's my responsibility to give them an excuse that sounds good. Apparently my father eventually decided to tell people I'm dead, which is fine by me.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Pope Corky the IX posted:

"WHAT DO I TELL PEOPLE?"

When I first cut contact from my family I got versions of "What are we supposed to tell friends/coworkers/etc?" from several people, as thought it's my responsibility to give them an excuse that sounds good. Apparently my father eventually decided to tell people I'm dead, which is fine by me.
Parents are so concerned about this.

quote:

I went over and visited a few other sites that are dedicated to the children of estrangement. I noticed a whole lot of finger pointing and accusations of Narcissism especially among mothers. Some brought up this website as if a narcissistic parent would spend time looking to resolve their grief online. No kiddos. Let me tell you what a narcissistic parent looks like. A mother that neglects her children to go out to bars, feeds her kids the same meals day in and day out to buy cigarettes and beer for her man. A mother that tells you that you should have died instead of your sister. That’s just the very teeny tip of the iceberg of my relationship with my mother. I could post things here that would make most people’s heads explode. The point is that as screwed up as my mother was all my life, as immature as she still is, I stand by her and help her when she is sick today. I don’t turn my back on her because I came to realize as I got older that we all tend to reflect our own upbringing. My mother was raised by an undiagnosed paranoid bipolar parent. She was physically abused herself and emotionally terrorized. Perhaps that kept her in a perpetual state of adolescence. I don’t know for sure but what I do know is that there was nothing I did as a child to deserve maltreatment. I could walk away from my mother but I do the right thing by letting both of my parents off the hook. I don’t wish for them to die knowing that they were hated by me. Now if I can forgive my parents who I promise you were absolute monsters to me growing up, maybe you can stop feeling sorry for yourselves and do the same. When they are gone you will never have the chance to clear that up. Now I don’t recommend reconciliation in the case of sexual abuse but if you are keeping yourself away for things such as your mom was too nosy or she embarrassed you a few times, get over it. It happens to all children and guess what, if you have kids you’re bound to screw up without even intending to. Lord knows I had that first time my daughter told me I was stupid and that she hated me for being mean. It will happen to you! Furthermore, you say that you have gone no contact but what have you done in return that is actually quite dangerous. You’re putting the strangers online own personal biases as support for your complaints about parents. You’re relegating yourselves to impersonal support chats instead of trying to mend the relationships with the people that kept you alive and kept your tushies clean for the first few years of your existence. Children, adult children and parents will always have friction. Lower your expectations and see your parents as the people they are and not just as solely your parents. It is disappointing when you first realize your parents are not the idealized versions we see on television but you owe it to yourself to at least try to have compassion and understanding for them just as you would any other person on the internet.
I read a woman writing about how her parents didn't show her any signs of affection until her father said "I love you" to her when she was in her forties and it was the saddest thing in the world to see this grown woman who did everything right and spent forty-plus years being a good girl until she finally, finally was good enough to get one sign of affection from the people who were supposed to love her more than anyone else in the world. You don't get points for sticking around lovely people.

quote:

I have seriously contemplated having an actual private (between my husband and I) memorial to say goodbye to the son we used to know that no longer exists.

My reasoning behind this is quite simple….our ES has completely taken over the son we used to know and love so much. I have suffered through an actual physical loss of a child already and confess this isn’t much different. The ES still lives, breathes and walks around but somehow I feel having a private memorial to say goodbye might help us with grieving and eventually being able to move forward in life. The first born child, a son, who we lost 29 yrs ago resides in heaven now. The ES we have lost to estrangement feels so very similar and I really would like some type of closure.
What are your thoughts? Is it too horrible to even mention this? I’m really struggling through this as I know reconciliation will never be now.

What started this hideous estrangement?

quote:

I honestly don’t even know where to begin, as my estrangement from my son has been in progress for the past 2 years. I am to the point now that I will be the one walking away for my own sanity, health, and emotional healing. I’m tired of the lies, the deceit, the double standards, being blamed for everything and the constant excuses. My ES is someone I no longer recognize and has become cold and callous. He stands in constant judgement of not only my husband and I, but other people as well. After meeting his wife (our DIL), he has gone from a caring and family-oriented person to a complete stranger. His wife is a devious and manipulative liar who has hated me and my husband since meeting us for the first time.

At my ES wedding my husband and I were shunned. Not in any of the wedding photos did my ES put his arm around us to include us. He stood there with his arm to his side, while his wife put her arm around her parents. Then [a]at the wedding reception we were pushed to the very end of the table while our DIL’s parents took front and center next to them.[/a] We tried to address the issue with them much later down the road and the lame excuse was, “Well you should have said something. We had no idea.” Seriously? I guess they just think we are stupid or something. Anyone who loves their parents or wants to include them wouldn’t forget something as having your parents near you at the front of the table with you, or putting their arm around you in wedding photos. This hurt beyond belief but we were still trying to maintain a relationship with them and move forward.
. . . .

Every time I have invited them to join us in doing something they say no and never have time. But, they always have time for other people and her parents. I no longer ask them to join us as I simply got tired of being told no. Recently, I invited them to come over for a Sunday dinner and it was planned like a week in advance. I rushed out to get a roast to put in the crock pot and about an hour later I got a text message saying that our DIL wasn’t feeling well and they weren’t coming. That was a major turning point for my husband and I. I understand his wife was feeling ill, but the fact that he didn’t even have the decency to CALL us and let us know. I don’t mind texting for small things, but something like cancelling a dinner, in my book, warrants a phone call. I was so angry from being treated like an afterthought that I had to wait a few days before I called to talk to him. When I did talk with him I told him I was upset about not receiving a phone call, but a text. He didn’t see the issue, of course. Then came the excuses. “Oh, well calling takes too long.” “You never answer your phone.” That last statement was a lie as I always have my phone on me and it is rare I don’t answer my phone. Not to mention we have voice mail to leave a message. During our conversation of course, the blame was thrown back on me.
. . . .

I’m tired of the disrespect and well, frankly, I am tired of trying to keep the relationship in tact. I have gone through this same issue with my daughter who was estranged for the past 4 years. We just got our relationship back, only to have my ES do the same exact thing to us. I feel cursed! I have had 3 children, our first-born child, a son, passed away shortly after birth. Then we had our ES and then a daughter. I was a good mother, and nurtured my children. I’m tired of my ES standing in judgement of us and looking down his nose at us, like he thinks he is so much better.
So they're insane.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Apparently my father eventually decided to tell people I'm dead, which is fine by me.

Mine did much the same for a while. As I hear it they've toned it down from "my kid is dead!" to "for all I know my kid might be dead!"

Pretty sure nobody bought it before, or buys it now.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
I've heard parents of friends call their children junkies when actually they just don't like their parents. I guess calling them junkies makes it more socially acceptable that they don't talk, after all they're just loving junkies the scum of the earth right

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's easier than saying "My child completely cut contact for no reason!" and then having the other person ask questions or assume they're full of poo poo.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

"I didn't get the kind of attention I expected and didn't say anything about and that makes them a bad person" is the story of my goddamn life and apparently many other people's too.

Being told over and over for years that you suck and are awful and do everything wrong tends to make us withdraw, who knew?

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
I'm pretty sure the old man has framed it as me turning away from god. The last time he ambushed me at work, and I literally told him to his face he doesn't respect any of my wishes or any boundaries I set, and he was walking talking poison to me, he later sent me a sanctimonious text novel telling me I was really mad at god.

I wanted to tell him god never beat my rear end so bad he was afraid to let me go to school the next day, but he would just take any response as a victory over me not making contact for 5 years.

That got me to finally block his last line of communication to me.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

"WHAT DO I TELL PEOPLE?"

aka, "I can't handle the potential judgement from everyone around me for something YOU'RE doing to make ME look less perfect."

Okay, Mom? I don't care what your friends think about me having a girlfriend. I already posted about it on social media, and not only did Conservative Megachurch Cousin congratulate me on the relationship and ask if she could meet my GF sometime next holiday, the kids of all your friends also wished me well, so basically everyone already knows and also thinks you're being a bitch about this whole thing that's not even about you.

ohnobugs
Feb 22, 2003

My parents would just make poo poo up to make it look like we were friends long before I cut off contact. Narcissist parents' focus is on how they look and not on how they hosed up or fixing their horrible behavior.

Poo In An Alleyway
Feb 12, 2016

AuntBuck posted:

Narcissist parents' focus is on how they look and not on how they hosed up or fixing their horrible behavior.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

My father, on what turned out to be his deathbed, and my mother, still alive with dementia, made it really clear to me, in the last couple of years, that I was their favorite child. "We loved [brother] but you were special." I was and am so grossed out. I'm surprised that I have any relationship with my brother at all, let alone being cordially distant. What the actual gently caress?

Like. It isn't even as if I lie to my children. They are both treasures. I went to them separately to be sure that I hadn't pulled any of this nonsense on them, and they assured me no.

But how can you even allow yourself to think these things, far less say them?

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

PooInAnAlleyway posted:

AuntBuck posted:

Narcissist parents' focus is on how they look and not on how they hosed up or fixing their horrible behavior.
It's very weird how they seem to think that relationships are based on obligation- at least, family relationships are. Their children are supposed to stick around and make things easy for them because (1) the parents raised them (which was the parents' legal and moral obligation) and (2) the parents usually stuck around their own dysfunctional/abusive parents, therefore their children owe them the same treatment (which was the parents' choice for how to deal with their terrible childhoods). What's lost on them is that if you think people should have a relationship with you because they're obligated, that's not a relationship.

Maybe it's just a way to justify their "if I want something then I deserve it" attitude. Engaging with it doesn't necessarily work because it might not address the real issue, which is their feelings of entitlement.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

Arsenic Lupin posted:

My father, on what turned out to be his deathbed, and my mother, still alive with dementia, made it really clear to me, in the last couple of years, that I was their favorite child. "We loved [brother] but you were special." I was and am so grossed out. I'm surprised that I have any relationship with my brother at all, let alone being cordially distant. What the actual gently caress?

Like. It isn't even as if I lie to my children. They are both treasures. I went to them separately to be sure that I hadn't pulled any of this nonsense on them, and they assured me no.

But how can you even allow yourself to think these things, far less say them?

The GC/Goat thing is super real.

I was the demon seed, until my little sister got teen pregnant out of wedlock, and then it was all hugs and kisses. As soon as she married a tradesman, moved into a big house, and birthed a non-bastard, I could feel the magnetic field shift as the poles reversed again.

I do feel bad for my little sister. She was in high school when she found out her fav cousin was actually her half-brother (her dad banged her aunt). That aunt then went on to keep my sister's deadbeat baby daddy updated on their son behind my sister's back, knowing she wanted him to have no contact. The guy fled the whole damned state of Texas when he found out she was pregnant.

I grew up in the worst Tennessee Williams play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wicker Man
Sep 5, 2007

Just like Columbus...

Clapping Larry

AuntBuck posted:

It can be so painful to bring up past neglect or failings from your parents. Even when handled gently and with tact, my mother had a "I consider the past to be in the past" mindset of not dwelling what happened and focusing on moving forward. Which sounds like a good thing, but at the same time no particular fault is ever directly addressed. It's all generalized with a roundabout statement of hoping that I can forgive her. My father tries to change the subject or make it all about him and his terrible childhood. Which he has told me over and over again growing up as a child riding with my dad, listening to him talk all about himself and his struggles while never being a part of my life or my interest or struggles.