Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Abloo I had a setback with my trader mission in the troll cowboy game

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Oberst posted:

Abloo I had a setback with my trader mission in the troll cowboy game

Oberst posted:

The best part of trader is dynamite arrowing large wagons and riding away cackling because you cost someone 3 hours with 1 shot
3 hours is a heck of a setback!

No ones telling you not to play the way that you do, but surely it makes sense to you why people would complain. Let us complain!

Anyway, since stories of misfortune make you bothered enough to post, heres mine. I was selling a small trader cart and it was stolen from me from some jerk at the end when I was busy shooting bullets. He ran off with it with it, and I went back to camp and somehow didnt lose any progress. I was able to do another sell mission, except this time while I was busy shooting stuff the bad npcs killed one of the good npcs and I failed it. Still didnt lose any materials and finally was able to sell it on the 3rd attempt. Woo!

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Cage posted:

Anyway, since stories of misfortune make you bothered enough to post, heres mine. I was selling a small trader cart and it was stolen from me from some jerk at the end when I was busy shooting bullets. He ran off with it with it, and I went back to camp and somehow didnt lose any progress. I was able to do another sell mission, except this time while I was busy shooting stuff the bad npcs killed one of the good npcs and I failed it. Still didnt lose any materials and finally was able to sell it on the 3rd attempt. Woo!

Let me tell you about that time when, stoned out of my mind, I attempted to do a local delivery ; it took literally 5 tries before managing to finally kill the bad NPCs before they killed the good NPCs. Also every time I repeated the mission it would send me to the same place with the same couple of good NPCs which, by the time we finished, must have had more lead than water in them

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

Zesty posted:

You're only in Chapter 2. It's exposition.

I’m in epilogue 2...

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Red_Fred posted:

I’m in epilogue 2...

It’s a slow burn

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

It’s a slow burn

They should have just made the ending lead seamlessly into a remaster of the first game

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Cage posted:

3 hours is a heck of a setback!

No ones telling you not to play the way that you do, but surely it makes sense to you why people would complain. Let us complain!

Nah it doesnt make sense at all lmao. I'm level 20 trader with 150+ hours played and I've lost two wagons total both to driver error. Goons keep trying to treat multiplayer as some solo experience and keep getting surprised when they get owned - its very funny.

When I have my 3 hour investment I dont just start riding down the road alone - posse up chumps it's the loving wild west

Oberst
May 24, 2010

The next time someone dynamite arrows your large delivery and rides off please think of me

The danger is what makes the game fun. My entirely goon posse goes out of our way to antagonize people during missions so it's more exciting

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Oberst posted:

The danger is what makes the game fun.

Uhhh no, not for me at least. Glad I never ran into you or others like you :v:

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

TorakFade posted:

Uhhh no, not for me at least. Glad I never ran into you or others like you :v:
Yeah enjoy your goon gang sir pls keep away from my goon gang. We are friendly and like high fives.

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Grab em by the posse

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

It's always fun clowning on dipshits that try to grief you with sniping.

They think you're easy pickings just cause you're fishing by a river but boy are they in for a loving surprise when you whip out dynamite arrows, especially satisfying when you enter a feud and just counter-bully them until they leave. :allears:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

I googled a bit about this but all I found was a bunch of issues with a similar bug instead: when I go to any towns jail/sheriff, it says there's a bounty available, but when I go up to the board and hold e or whatever to view bounty, Arthur just reaches for a non-existent paper and pulls it down, it makes the folding paper sound and everything, and the animation ends with nothing happening. All the sheriffs say there is a bounty available but I'm effectively unable to do them. I have no outstanding bounty, its daytime, etc.

Is this a known bug?

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Oberst posted:

The next time someone dynamite arrows your large delivery and rides off please think of me

The danger is what makes the game fun. My entirely goon posse goes out of our way to antagonize people during missions so it's more exciting

Being a Proud Goon online dipshit is very 2007. Grow up.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Yes, best not to linger. Let the goones go into the West to the Undying Internet Forums and languish from the world.

The rest of you better never come near Tumbleweed.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
What's with Tumbleweed?

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

Do players need to have both Twitch Prime and PS+ to receive the free mash and trader supply vouchers? Or is a PS+ subscription all you need?

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Being a Proud Goon online dipshit is very 2007. Grow up.

Sorry about your wagon m8

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Don't listen to him. He's not sorry. He's not sorry at all.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Get over it, it's a video game. Your wagon doesnt mean poo poo, stop getting mad when people blow it up.

Sorry you can't stroke your autism by spending hours at a time calmly coaxing a wagon between towns with zero danger so your numbers go up.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
When I come across a lone delivery I make sure to tag along if I'm free. :3

I'll help ya out, buddy.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Do whatever makes you happy.

I destroy wagons. You help wagons. The important thing is that you're having a good time.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Wow you were like the one goon name from gtao that I remembered to add on my rdr2o account, I didn't know you were a poo head. :mad:

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Legit question, no facetiouness here.

Why do you play online? Isn’t the occasional danger of getting rooted and tooted the whole point of a wild west online multiplayer game?

I mean I often leave wagons alone, and I even help humans do their things, and I sometimes drop carcasses at their camp. But I play with my posse buddies, and we ride together to ensure that our cart arrives safe. Sometimes it doesn’t, because it’s the wild west and cowboys do cowboy poo poo. It seems to be the point of the game.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Vahakyla posted:

Why do you play online? Isn’t the occasional danger of getting rooted and tooted the whole point of a wild west online multiplayer game?

I mean I often leave wagons alone, and I even help humans do their things, and I sometimes drop carcasses at their camp. But I play with my posse buddies, and we ride together to ensure that our cart arrives safe. Sometimes it doesn’t, because it’s the wild west and cowboys do cowboy poo poo. It seems to be the point of the game.

Based on the behavior that the game encourages, yes, it does seem like rockstar wants the point of the game to be for the player to be constantly under the threat of getting hassled by other players when they try to do something. However, they accidentally created a game that is fun to play (when it’s not crashing) even if you don’t enjoy the threat of being griefed—hunting, fishing, crime-fighting, making various numbers go up—and it’s just fun enough to keep at it despite other players getting their rocks off by denying fun to others.

I also think the “other players will gently caress with you” aspect is shittily designed, because if your goal is to be the bad guy who griefs people, there is zero risk for you. If your prey manages to defend themselves, you just respawn right next to them and come after them again. Only the person trying to do something other than get griefed stands to lose anything. It’d be cool if getting killed by someone defending their wagon made you spawn in another part of the map or made you sit in jail for a minute or something.

If you have fun griefing and being griefed then that’s great for you but the popularity of stuff like session sweeper or other hacks to make private sessions in gtao indicates that there are loads of people having fun with other aspects of the online, even if rockstar doesn’t quite feel like catering to them.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org

Vahakyla posted:

Oh yeah poo poo happens and its great I'm just poking the nerds.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

PSA the firewall rules used to create a solo public session in GTAO also works for RDO, you just have to take a couple extra steps first, since the game will just disconnect you if you do this in a populated session.

1) load online 2) start a solo mission (like a Moonshiner story mission) 3) go to interaction menu and start to change your character's appearance (this is free as long as you don't confirm/save changes) 4) while in the character editor, enable firewall rules 5) cancel/exit appearance change

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

I have been hosed with so rarely that it isn't even a feature of the online 99 times i play out of 100. Most people are real polite. So no, the "threat" isn't part of the fun because it is a non-element right up until some one else decides to make it one on their own. Playing the game for its other features is the fun the open world stuff. If i wanted pvp, I would play their PvP modes a different game with actually good pvp.

And that is what I kind of like about a lot of their elements at this point as opposed to launch. If you want to go loud and ride wild, that is pretty easy to opt into, in that you do the stranger missions or long distance deliveries or posse versus modes that make that a feature. Its a bit like opting into PvP for Dark Souls in that way, only arguably more forgiving. If you want to be left alone, most of the time...you get left alone.

The "but isn't the excitement of maybe being hassled the point?" argument confuses me because... Do you not like the game itself? The parts that don't involve other players? There is kind of a lot of game there.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
I will agree with that if I dome a player attacking player, they should respawn a mile out, not 300 feet. With carts and such, it should just throw the respawna way out.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Vahakyla posted:

I play online because I need to see numbers go up, mostly, and I already made all numbers of singleplayer go up. I enjoy collecting and trading, riding around, fishing and hunting, setting up camp in a region and properly exploring it, seeing what other players are doing. Also the open world is fun, online has some pretty neat things singleplayer doesn't have and 95% of players are a pleasure to either interact with, or ignore. People seem to either be kinda scared and defensive but willing to see how you're going to play it, or outright friendly and funny.

I don't even mind getting sniped as I ride around the countryside, or people trying to lasso me while I'm out collecting herbs, heck it's even fun to see a red bunch of players riding around and terrorizing a town, and either try to fight them off or hide from them precisely because the stakes in dying while not doing a mission are so low (just respawn... though, that often leads to comical and unrealistic no holds barred feuds/total wars but hey that's part of the fun too)

But by God it would piss me off to lose on 500$ (more like, lose the associated time I spent hunting/resupplying/waiting for the goods to be ready) because some rear end in a top hat had a dynamite arrow and decided to just blow my full trading wagon up "just for funsies". gently caress you, let's engage in a showdown or impromptu PVP, let's have a fistfight or whatever, but I don't like having my time wasted without my explicit or implicit consent.
E: also, that player does it to gain NOTHING, that's what ticks me off even more. If it was robbery, oh well, at least they're doing it for money. No, people do this just to be a pain in the rear end and I just can't contemplate this.

But that's just me, and even if it happens, tough luck it's a videogame. I'd honestly prefer not to have it happen though, I can't deny it.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Feb 28, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

I have been hosed with so rarely that it isn't even a feature of the online 99 times i play out of 100. Most people are real polite. So no, the "threat" isn't part of the fun because it is a non-element right up until some one else decides to make it one on their own. Playing the game for its other features is the fun the open world stuff. If i wanted pvp, I would play their PvP modes a different game with actually good pvp.

And that is what I kind of like about a lot of their elements at this point as opposed to launch. If you want to go loud and ride wild, that is pretty easy to opt into, in that you do the stranger missions or long distance deliveries or posse versus modes that make that a feature. Its a bit like opting into PvP for Dark Souls in that way, only arguably more forgiving. If you want to be left alone, most of the time...you get left alone.

The "but isn't the excitement of maybe being hassled the point?" argument confuses me because... Do you not like the game itself? The parts that don't involve other players? There is kind of a lot of game there.

Yeah that’s worth noting too; I don’t like being griefed, but I stick with the game because it doesn’t happen that often. The big maps and lack of flying make it much less of a hellhole than gta is, you can actually mind your own business most of the time and reasonably expect to be left alone.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Cage posted:

Wow you were like the one goon name from gtao that I remembered to add on my rdr2o account, I didn't know you were a poo head. :mad:

You've played like, zero GTA with me and spent no time in goon discord then. :shrug:

Vahakyla posted:

What are you grinding for? The Online PVE content is complete garbage. Single Player is SO much better if that's what you want. Incidentally, structured PVP is also completely garbage. All free roam events and matchmaking PVP are terribly designed. I could go into detail why each and every single system is poorly implemented and extremely shortsighted, but I think anyone who has played more than 40 levels gets it.

So what's left?

Zesty fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Feb 29, 2020

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’m sure it’s dull if you grind it, but it’s chill to pick up every couple of days and zone out to a podcast while playing, but less so if you’re being murdered by people who think autistic is an insult

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

TorakFade posted:

it would piss me off to lose on 500$ (more like, lose the associated time I spent hunting/resupplying/waiting for the goods to be ready) because some rear end in a top hat had a dynamite arrow and decided to just blow my full trading wagon up "just for funsies".

I feel like it's one of those game mechanics that is supposed to "encourage" you to buy the dumb microtransactions.

"Oh hey it's a shame someone just blew up a few hours of your grinding and now you get $0 for all that effort...but you know can always just buy the gold bars"

ChairmanMauzer
Dec 30, 2004

It wears a human face.
I'm not sure I've ever had a local delivery get ganked, but I specifically play in Defensive and do locals to avoid that.

Maybe I've just been lucky?

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’m sure it’s dull if you grind it, but it’s chill to pick up every couple of days and zone out to a podcast while playing, but less so if you’re being murdered by people who think autistic is an insult

Uhhh. If you're calling someone autistic because they killed you in a video game, you're an rear end in a top hat.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Zesty posted:

Uhhh. If you're calling someone autistic because they killed you in a video game, you're an rear end in a top hat.

Um, that post was referring to this

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Get over it, it's a video game. Your wagon doesnt mean poo poo, stop getting mad when people blow it up.

Sorry you can't stroke your autism by spending hours at a time calmly coaxing a wagon between towns with zero danger so your numbers go up.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
My mistake. HOTLANTA MAN is the clear rear end in a top hat here.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Dragonstoned posted:

I feel like it's one of those game mechanics that is supposed to "encourage" you to buy the dumb microtransactions.

"Oh hey it's a shame someone just blew up a few hours of your grinding and now you get $0 for all that effort...but you know can always just buy the gold bars"

Probably. And what I would like to stress is that there's nothing to be gained for the guy attacking you; it would be fine if it was some kind of robbery to steal my hard earned money and get it for yourself (and then of course I could come and steal it back somehow), but as it is it's just "haha I made that guy lose time and money, so funny" and I really don't get what's funny or enjoyable about that.

Maybe that's why I never play online games. Rdo is the big exception precisely because 99% of the time it's perfectly chill and relaxing and getting ganked is a non-issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sleekly
Aug 21, 2008

It's fun. That's what's gained. Human players are usually so much deadlier, or at least more unpredictable than NPCs that killing them and wrecking their poo poo is it's own reward.
Stick to story if you don't want this, it's the reason online exists. To interact with others.