Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Cardiovorax posted:

Can someone give me the low-down on how Deep Rock Galactic actually plays? The whole "procedural FPS with fully-destructible environments" seems pretty neat, but at the same time, I'm also not really into multiplayer and I'd really like to know how well the game would work for singleplayer and what it has to offer in that regard before I take the plunge. The Steam description isn't all that helpful, sadly.

if you play solo you get a robot buddy that you can command around to perform tasks like mining veins of ore, shining light in areas, and shooting bugs, but essentially it'd be like playing through all the left 4 dead maps solo with the bot ai, it's not the really intended way to do it and it's a bad game to pick for solo play.

honestly i think one of the closest comparisons you can make is helldivers, if you've ever played that: you drop onto a random map with a bunch of other shlubs, you accomplish the couple of objectives you are given to do based on the type of mission while holding off waves of enemies, and then you extract. maybe a bit of payday 2 in there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Phetz posted:

Played through the whole campaign and DLC with multiple characters without touching multiplayer and had a blast. If you liked BL2 then this one’s a no brainer. The story and characters really didn’t click with me but the gameplay more than made up for it in my opinion.

I did like BL2, but I used CheatEngine to kick up the run speed and drop tables, because holy moly. If those are improved in BL3 then I am all over it.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Cardiovorax posted:

Can someone give me the low-down on how Deep Rock Galactic actually plays? The whole "procedural FPS with fully-destructible environments" seems pretty neat, but at the same time, I'm also not really into multiplayer and I'd really like to know how well the game would work for singleplayer and what it has to offer in that regard before I take the plunge. The Steam description isn't all that helpful, sadly.

If you aren't into multiplayer, then forget it. It's very much a "shoot the bugs, and shoot the poo poo with pubbies/friends" while everyone is drunk/stoned. pubbies are actually very good in it so far and hasn't reached payday/l4d level of toxic assholes for some reason, which is good, but maybe that's just because its EA. there is a relatively large goon presence to show you the ropes.

i mean you can play SP, in some ways it's easier, but it's just kinda boring to do so and it's like, why bother, just play Call of Juarez Gunslinger or Metro or Doom Eternal for a SP experience

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Cowcaster posted:

if you play solo you get a robot buddy that you can command around to perform tasks like mining veins of ore, shining light in areas, and shooting bugs, but essentially it'd be like playing through all the left 4 dead maps solo with the bot ai, it's not the really intended way to do it and it's a bad game to pick for solo play.

honestly i think one of the closest comparisons you can make is helldivers, if you've ever played that: you drop onto a random map with a bunch of other shlubs, you accomplish the couple of objectives you are given to do based on the type of mission while holding off waves of enemies, and then you extract. maybe a bit of payday 2 in there too.

Xaris posted:

If you aren't into multiplayer, then forget it. It's very much a "shoot the bugs, and shoot the poo poo with pubbies/friends" while everyone is drunk/stoned. pubbies are actually very good in it so far and hasn't reached payday/l4d level of toxic assholes for some reason, which is good, but maybe that's just because its EA

i mean you can play SP, in some ways it's easier, but it's just kinda boring to do so and it's like, why bother, just play Call of Juarez Gunslinger or Metro or Doom Eternal for a SP experience
Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to know. Looks like this isn't for me, then.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Gay Rat Wedding posted:

Driller can dig ramps up to ledges or higher resources, dig in a straight line to extraction, there’s some nerd poo poo about digging bunkers I ignore but it’s a strategy that exists, drilling gets you a bit of improvised everything

Xaris posted:

Driller can get to any mineral anywhere; carve a path straight back to the dropship, carve shortcuts between windy rooms, carves out an "enclave" during Salvage missions where you have to defend a point but the box is right up against a wall giving you much more room to work wtih.

Hmm... guess I'm gonna have to get creative with it then. Thanks for the responses

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Hmm... guess I'm gonna have to get creative with it then. Thanks for the responses

yeah it helps to mark minerals (you can also place a "permanent marker" by holding down the laserpointer for 5 seconds) beforehand and work up the wall towards the marker; and use the 3d map liberally to see where rooms are and if there's any shortcuts you can take to save time. always be mapping

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Ragequit posted:

I did like BL2, but I used CheatEngine to kick up the run speed and drop tables, because holy moly. If those are improved in BL3 then I am all over it.

I think I had more legendaries drop in my first fifteen levels of BL3 than I did in all my time playing BL2 before I cheat engined it.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I mean the red army are bad but only because Yuri mind controlled the Russian president and invaded America so it's not really their fault if you think about it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Aphex- posted:

I mean the red army are bad but only because Yuri mind controlled the Russian president and invaded America so it's not really their fault if you think about it.

I would kill for a modern reboot of the Red Alert series

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Reboot Emperor: Battle for Dune please and thank you.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Flimf posted:

Or just make it loving run.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Flimf posted:

SelenicMartian posted:

Or just make it loving run.
Ooof, that's a game that hasn't aged well. Reinstalled it a couple years ago and it's got a lot of cool ideas, but is just a hassle to control. Pathfinding is atrocious. It's the midpoint between Westwood's 2D C&C games and C&C Generals (the best C&C) that's real fucken rough.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I think I had more legendaries drop in my first fifteen levels of BL3 than I did in all my time playing BL2 before I cheat engined it.

That sounds great. Is there a recommended edition? I can get the base game for $20 or game + season pass and all digital extras for $40.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

Mordja posted:

Ooof, that's a game that hasn't aged well. Reinstalled it a couple years ago and it's got a lot of cool ideas, but is just a hassle to control. Pathfinding is atrocious. It's the midpoint between Westwood's 2D C&C games and C&C Generals (the best C&C) that's real fucken rough.

Yeah i remember loving it when it came out but also remember vividly how it played, which is why i haven't even bothered reistalling it.

The Dune setting is really good for rts games i think, which incidently is also why Dune 2000 is the best C&C.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mordja posted:

Besides the pathfinding I thought the game aged pretty well TBH. The pathfinding is the only part that really shows the game's age and yeah it's very bad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Some Ruskies are working on a spiritual successor E:BFD that's slowly coming along. Complete with FMV!
https://twitter.com/mars2000game

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Flimf posted:

This is in the hands of Funcom/Tencent now. Some things are better left to die.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Ragequit posted:

That sounds great. Is there a recommended edition? I can get the base game for $20 or game + season pass and all digital extras for $40.

Well the DLC so far has been great and they’ve been good about patching and doing in-game events. They’ve also announced the upcoming DLC and content roadmap which all sound good if they keep with the trajectory they’re currently on, so I think the season pass isn’t as much of a gamble as it is with a bunch of other live service-y games. Seems like a good deal to me.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Phetz posted:

Well the DLC so far has been great and they’ve been good about patching and doing in-game events. They’ve also announced the upcoming DLC and content roadmap which all sound good if they keep with the trajectory they’re currently on, so I think the season pass isn’t as much of a gamble as it is with a bunch of other live service-y games. Seems like a good deal to me.

The BL2 DLC was some of the best stuff in the game, I jumped on the Season Pass when it came out just because of that.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Flimf posted:

Yeah i remember loving it when it came out but also remember vividly how it played, which is why i haven't even bothered reistalling it.

The Dune setting is really good for rts games i think, which incidently is also why Dune 2000 is the best C&C.

I actually find the Dune setting pretty distasteful, the crimes of house atreides are just as bad as those of house harkkonen if you think about it

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

You know, I miss fancy installers that were full of lore and cool interfaces. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Today I learned that there is no fall damage in Dynasty Warriors 9, and that you can climb Mount Song with a grappling hook. Cao Cao truly is a god amongst men

e: Assassinate Dong Zhuo? No. I'm busy.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Feb 28, 2020

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot

Deakul posted:

You know, I miss fancy installers that were full of lore and cool interfaces. :(

I had totally forgotten this. What a blast from the past. Some games I used to enjoy installing almost as much as playing them.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

Nice hat.

I always thought Dynasty Warriors was just this big mission-based mass-brawler thing and didn't give it much mind. If it also has fishing mechanics, for god only knows what reason, I must have gotten a pretty wrong impression of what kind of game it actually is.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Cardiovorax posted:

Nice hat.

I always thought Dynasty Warriors was just this big mission-based mass-brawler thing and didn't give it much mind. If it also has fishing mechanics, for god only knows what reason, I must have gotten a pretty wrong impression of what kind of game it actually is.

No, you pretty much had it right. DW9 is the first to change up the formula significantly, but to mixed success as I understand it.

Is the PC version any good? I know the game was poorly received initially but has gone through loads of updates so I have no idea what state it’s in now.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Fishing in DW should switch you into playing Ace of Seafood.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

Nice hat.

No no you're spot-on. Dynasty Warriors 1-8 are mission based mass-brawlers, and drat good ones. 9, for some reason, decided to become an open world game, so you have to ride to your missions before doing the mass-brawls. And while you're riding there you can stop and fish, hunt, climb towers Ubisoft style to unlock map icons, and do sidequests.

It is absolutely bananas, feels extremely low budget, has the worst storytelling in the franchise, and I'm loving it? I still don't understand why Cao Cao has a grappling hook.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Ainsley McTree posted:

No, you pretty much had it right. DW9 is the first to change up the formula significantly, but to mixed success as I understand it.

Is the PC version any good? I know the game was poorly received initially but has gone through loads of updates so I have no idea what state it’s in now.

The PC Port of Dynasty Warriors 9 runs fine on my machine, but you NEED a controller. That said there are still frame-drops whenever there's loads of enemies on screen (i mean, more than normal) and fire arrow attacks basically freeze the game for a few seconds. I don't know why they didn't optimize the engine better, but for 90% of the time it plays and runs fine.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

No no you're spot-on. Dynasty Warriors 1-8 are mission based mass-brawlers, and drat good ones. 9, for some reason, decided to become an open world game, so you have to ride to your missions before doing the mass-brawls. And while you're riding there you can stop and fish, hunt, climb towers Ubisoft style to unlock map icons, and do sidequests.

It is absolutely bananas, feels extremely low budget, has the worst storytelling in the franchise, and I'm loving it? I still don't understand why Cao Cao has a grappling hook.
Thanks, good to know. I wonder if they'll stick to that direction for the future, then. I kinda lost my taste for anything purely campaign- or mission-based a few years ago, because it just feels so restrictive and linear in the modern environment of open-world games being everywhere and allowing to go back and forth in the game basically whenever you please. To me, it's almost a convenience feature that lets you replay parts of the game or skip ahead to future content at will, and that is hard to give up.

I really would like a play a Dynasty Warrior style game that is just all wandering around and wiping the floor with large groups of every fool what look at you wrong, Romance of the Three Kingdoms style, though.

And hell, why wouldn't Cao Cao have a grappling hook? I would have a grappling hook if I could figure out where to buy one.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Givin posted:

This is in the hands of Funcom/Tencent now. Some things are better left to die.

Yeah, it's pretty weird that Funcom got the exclusive license and are bound to do a minimum of three games with it. Doesn't sound like a great recipe.

I think EA and GOG could still do a digital re-release of Emperor. They did one for Blade Runner, after all, and nobody expected that one to happen.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Ainsley McTree posted:

It still runs poorly at parts and looks pretty crappy. You won't get 60 FPS with no drops unless you own like a 2070.

Flimf
Sep 3, 2006

DrNutt posted:

I actually find the Dune setting pretty distasteful, the crimes of house atreides are just as bad as those of house harkkonen if you think about it

who cares

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

StrixNebulosa posted:

I would kill for a modern reboot of the Red Alert series

A finger on the monkey paw curls down as an EA exec greenlights another mobile game and doesn't know why.

Phetz
Nov 7, 2008

Daddy like...
Fun Shoe

Hub Cat posted:

A finger on the monkey paw curls down as an EA exec greenlights another mobile game and doesn't know why.

The phrase “Command & Conquer Auto-Battler” has entered my mind palace and I am NOT happy about it

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Phetz posted:

The phrase “Command & Conquer Auto-Battler” has entered my mind palace and I am NOT happy about it

They literally already made that

Trickyblackjack
Feb 13, 2012
I'm sorry Iconoclasts, you're not completely bad, but Hollow Knight and a few other games in the genre are just way way better than you and you are no longer worth my time.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Phetz posted:

A finger on the monkey's paw curls.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Back when I bought Dynasty Warriors 8, Empire and 9, I never gave any of them a fair shake due to not being in a mood to conquer China. But since I've had so much fun with 9 recently I popped 8 back up because like, I now crave classic musou combat....

and hell yeah. I understand why people call this the peak of the series because there's so much dang stuff and I'm having fun playing it. Battles are tough without being stupid, the combo stuff works, and I want more.

Also, Dian Wei vs Lu Bu is GREAT.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Musous are good, friend. They also make like four of them a year so have fun with that. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Orv posted:

Musous are good, friend. They also make like four of them a year so have fun with that. :v:

Oh no, lots of games for a genre I like, whatever will I do

Given how big 8 + Empires + 9 are, I will probably play them for a while, burn out, come back to them, burn out again, and never completely move on. Except maybe to reinstall Fate/Extella and keep whacking away at that. (boring combat but a batshit story)

God help me whenever they drop Dynasty Warriors 10 - I'm really, really invested in this specific region of China. Like, to the point that I've read over half of the novel and hopefully will read the other half this year.