Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

gourdcaptain posted:

My favorite tug of war is Google wanting the most flat light interfaces with original Material Design and then it turning out that people wanted dark themes and everything being a chaotic mess for a few years. (I mostly just need dark themes to minimize eye strain issues. I'm so glad for the Dark Reader browser extension.)

Jelly Bean was all about the dark themes, too, with the then-new OLED phones. Google binned it, and now have eventually brought the idea back.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 26, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!
A relative's notebook has stopped connecting to a particular WiFi network, and only that specific network. It's an open network at a library and it connects if using a USB WiFi stick instead of the internal WiFi. Is "Win10 now hates that WiFi network on that adapter" a known problem? And is there a loving fix? Hardware is Atheros 946x IIRC. I did the remove device, reinstall device dance.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

karoshi posted:

A relative's notebook has stopped connecting to a particular WiFi network, and only that specific network. It's an open network at a library and it connects if using a USB WiFi stick instead of the internal WiFi. Is "Win10 now hates that WiFi network on that adapter" a known problem? And is there a loving fix? Hardware is Atheros 946x IIRC. I did the remove device, reinstall device dance.

When you say stopped connecting do you mean it doesn't see the network, or it just hangs while trying to connect? Did you try removing the network from the list of known networks? Maybe also try the 'random hardware addresses' setting for the network?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Just had to unfuck a printer that somehow switched to WSD for the eleventyth time. Has WSD ever done anything useful?

Does anyone know a way where I can just disable the entire concept of WSD printing across the board? I've been searching for a bit and it doesn't seem to be easy unfortunately. I do not have a single site where it's being used intentionally, only where someone accidentally forgot to change the setting when installing a new printer or more often where Windows decided to update drivers and "helped" to convert it.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
I turn it off on the printers, then I manually add them in Windows using their IPP addresses.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Microsoft's visual design is still dragging the corpse of metro with it's solid color blocking and squared off tiles.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

AlternateAccount posted:

Microsoft's visual design is still dragging the corpse of metro with it's solid color blocking and squared off tiles.
e: I assume you're talking about the start menu tiles, since there's no context to your post.
What's good about these:
  • You can turn live tiles off
  • You can remove ones you don't like, add ones you do
  • You can change and move them around, including their color
  • You can be rid of them entirely if you don't want them, and live a long happy life
Everything about Windows should be like them, in that you can decently customize them or tell them to gently caress off forever. :colbert:

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Feb 28, 2020

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

isndl posted:

When you say stopped connecting do you mean it doesn't see the network, or it just hangs while trying to connect? Did you try removing the network from the list of known networks? Maybe also try the 'random hardware addresses' setting for the network?

It sees the network, but while connecting it quickly returns a 'can't connect to this network' error (or similar, can't remember 100%), anyway, it's much quicker than the timeout for a bad radio link. If feels like they are talking on to each other and quickly agreeing to disagree.
I cleared the list of all known networks. Forgot about the random MAC address, maybe it's the router hatin' on that adapter? I don't control the router, or I'd have rebooted it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Speaking of UI changes, we finally updated to the 1908 SAC and...I hate it. At least in Outlook.

Some of these design decisions baffle me...like, why is the search bar now ABOVE the area with the "All/Unread" and "Sort" tabs? There is just now a giant waste of space:

And by default the spacing between emails was quite large until I turned on "Tighter spacing."

And then in emails and calendar appointments there's extra space as well:

The appointment window looks especially bad...it's massive, and on top of that, there's a bug with the dark grey theme...the boxes around the buttons aren't appearing, so everything look misaligned.

And for some reason the "pop out" and "discard" buttons in the quick reply pane have been shoved over to the right side:

I am TOLD it's to make things slightly easier on touch screens, and that eventually the "touch mode" option will go away...but it's still there now, and does exactly what you expect (makes things a little bigger and even further spaced apart) so I'm not happy.

Right now it's just IT staff that go the update, apparently I'm the only one who thinks it looks bad, somehow other people didn't even notice the UI changed at all...(?) but I guarantee you when we roll this out to everyone else there will e complaints a-plenty.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

doctorfrog posted:

e: I assume you're talking about the start menu tiles, since there's no context to your post.
What's good about these:
  • You can be rid of them entirely if you don't want them, and live a long happy life
Everything about Windows should be like them, in that you can decently customize them or tell them to gently caress off forever. :colbert:

I am talking more about this, where the outline of everything was locked into being a rectangular shape and the only other element was a flat white glyph.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
The first thing I do on a fresh install on my main computer is install uxtheme and apply a Vista Aero theme, best mix of classic Windows and Aero theming ideology. I am truly the worst.

I hope Win10 can get back to a slightly less gaudy Aero aesthetic, which they have already seemed to trend towards with the Fluent transparency stuff, but I'm rooting for a bigger return of skeuomorphic elements personally.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Remember when iCal looked like a leather planner??? *barf*

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

doctorfrog posted:

What's good about these:

Microsoft: gently caress off forever

I'm not gonna miss live tiles that much, the only one I used is weather. But I don't like that new start menu. No program list on the left, and looks like you can't have different sizes of tiles.

AlternateAccount posted:

I am talking more about this, where the outline of everything was locked into being a rectangular shape and the only other element was a flat white glyph.

If you do a bare minimum amount of effort you can arrange things into something that easily fits your own use. Here's what mine looks like:

It's still organized to a grid, but grids are a useful way to organize things.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Looks like a concept screenshot for Lubuntu. And I have my start menu arranged how I like, but visually, it's still a barf of gaudy icons, BUT I can change that also. It's one of the very few things on this OS that you can sorta have fun customizing, or remove altogether.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Its useful and functional I guess but could MS please hire some designers that have some aesthetic sensibility?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

yeah i've got tiles they're called pinned taskbar icons because i'm a normal person

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

No icons, just colored squares.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Klyith posted:

Microsoft: gently caress off forever

I'm not gonna miss live tiles that much, the only one I used is weather. But I don't like that new start menu. No program list on the left, and looks like you can't have different sizes of tiles.

If you do a bare minimum amount of effort you can arrange things into something that easily fits your own use. Here's what mine looks like:

It's still organized to a grid, but grids are a useful way to organize things.

If you could imagine being asked ARE YOU HAPPY WITH THAT?? by an angry Gordon Ramsay, you'd understand my response to this well.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I like the white icons, the taskbar looks neat with them :shobon:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Weedle posted:

yeah i've got tiles they're called pinned taskbar icons because i'm a normal person
what a normal thing to assert

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Programs I always use are pinned to the taskbar; programs I use less frequently (but often enough to merit a convenient shortcut) are pinned to the start menu. Programs I use even less frequently can be typed to search.

i vomit kittens
Apr 25, 2019

I have nothing pinned to either my taskbar or Start Menu and open everything via WoX because I am a crazy person who can't leave macOS's spotlight search behind.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

i vomit kittens posted:

I have nothing pinned to either my taskbar or Start Menu and open everything via WoX because I am a crazy person who can't leave macOS's spotlight search behind.

Same here. I recently switched from Launchy ('cause it seems like it's dead) to Keypirinha. I never even used Spotlight before I got a Mac at work two years ago. It's just so much easier than hunting through the Start Menu all the time.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

hooah posted:

Same here. I recently switched from Launchy ('cause it seems like it's dead) to Keypirinha.
Checkin this out. I used FindAndRunRobot for years, and it's pretty good, but I haven't installed it yet and wouldn't mind trying out something new. I don't really enjoy using the Start Menu for keyboard launching.

edit: Keypirinha is good

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Feb 29, 2020

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Is Cortana dead now? I'm hearing rumors

Seems like they're trying to make it business oriented etc. I hope so, I like the idea and I think MS understands my needs from 9-5 way better than my home needs lol

Worf fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Feb 29, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
I have things pinned to both my taskbar and start menu, but open pretty much everything by pressing the Windows key and typing the application name.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
Hope Cortana isn't dead, having her on hand to remind my adhd brain to do poo poo is extremely helpful

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Lambert posted:

I have things pinned to both my taskbar and start menu, but open pretty much everything by pressing the Windows key and typing the application name.

Lol fml

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'd use cortana if it wasn't all "sign in with yr Microsoft account!"

like I just want to set a reminder or something OK NEVERMIND

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

baka kaba posted:

Same here. Im done making accounts for every loving smart whatever thing. I'll just get up and put on a timer or the light or whatever. gently caress.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Lambert posted:

For me the start menu is too often too laggy to want to use all the time (probably an hdd issue)

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

I can't say I've noticed that launchy is "abandoned" or whatever, it still does it's job just fine.
Setting it up to work with everything replaces everything I'd use the start menu for.
Which I don't.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

For me the start menu is too often too laggy to want to use all the time (probably an hdd issue)

More likely problems with windows search getting bogged down. Settings -> search, searching windows, advanced, advanced, rebuild index.

(Also it generally makes start & explorer faster to set search to classic mode and make sure it's not indexing the whole drive or whatever. For content-aware searching inside files I'd rather use dedicated tools, but I don't have to do that much so I just use grepwin etc.)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Statutory Ape posted:

Is Cortana dead now? I'm hearing rumors

Seems like they're trying to make it business oriented etc. I hope so, I like the idea and I think MS understands my needs from 9-5 way better than my home needs lol

Smart search is still a fine idea but I don’t think the wagon has to be tied to a big titty blue robot.

Apple just calls it Spotlight

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Klyith posted:

More likely problems with windows search getting bogged down. Settings -> search, searching windows, advanced, advanced, rebuild index.

(Also it generally makes start & explorer faster to set search to classic mode and make sure it's not indexing the whole drive or whatever. For content-aware searching inside files I'd rather use dedicated tools, but I don't have to do that much so I just use grepwin etc.)

It's not that the search function is slow, it's just the start menu itself that will sometimes take seconds to appear after hitting the windows button. Or could that still be related to indexing?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rinkles posted:

It's not that the search function is slow, it's just the start menu itself that will sometimes take seconds to appear after hitting the windows button. Or could that still be related to indexing?

I had a very similar thing happen and it was totally the search index. Flummoxed me for a bit because after dealing with so many UWP/appx problems related to start & taskbar, I was totally fixated on poo poo like resetting cortana at first.

In my case I solved things by removing some folders that windows had added to indexing locations, turning off content indexing on my media drive (that's in drive properties not search settings), and rebuilding the index.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

Rinkles posted:

The Modern interface elements have never been as snappy as they should be on first use. Strange thing is that on the new Edge, for instance, the right click menus appear instantly, as opposed to right clicking on an icon in the taskbar which seems to take about a second.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

WattsvilleBlues posted:

The Modern interface elements have never been as snappy as they should be on first use. Strange thing is that on the new Edge, for instance, the right click menus appear instantly, as opposed to right clicking on an icon in the taskbar which seems to take about a second.

Right clicking the taskbar icon for Explorer wakes up all the drives that it randomly decides to put in the quick access list, making it take forever to show the menu.
Windows 7 just showed the menu and only woke the drives if you clicked them.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

baka kaba posted:

Meanwhile, I'd like to be able to set a reminder without using Cortana at all, since I don't (and won't) use Cortana.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
Taskbar icons are convenient because you can press Win+# to open them, e.g. Win+4 to open the 4th item