Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
They are likely to get the third season. That seems to be the default cutting point for any Netflix show that gets past season one.

Agreed that season one was a better self contained story though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

For people who use a VPN to watch iPlayer et Al from the us, what vpn software do you use?

I use smartdnsproxy.com for iplayer fine. Can’t be bothered with VPNs.

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Timby posted:

Chicago Med, Chicago Fire, Chicago PD and Law & Order: SVU have all been given three-season renewals by NBC.

That means, at the very least, SVU will reach its twenty-fourth season.

NBC learned their lesson from letting Dick Wolf escape that one time. We'll see how long FBI: Most Wanted lasts over on CBS.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of funny how Year of the Rabbit has a special credit that Matt Berry wrote his own stuff.

hahaha yes this made me laugh too

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I'm catching up on evil and just got to the accidental doming. Holy poo poo. Was this what everybody was wtfing

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pentyne posted:

Yeah if.

S1 worked better as a contained story, S2 is clearly setting the ground for the hope of more seasons to tell a epic story. They dropped more hints and details in 30 seconds about the Elders in one episode then in the entirety of season 1. It's pretty obvious they want to explore that angle but with Netflix's propensity to abruptly cancel shows its not like they can really plan out that much.

This really feels like a show that probably only needs 2 more seasons, give or take. Structurally, it could go on as long as they have a writer's room since the characters never really age - but unless they change course and go American Horror Story with it each season (albeit with the same characters), this arc just doesn't feel like it has legs.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'm finally finishing Altered Carbon season 1. I dropped out halfway through last year because it seemed to so desperately to want to be Blade Runner but if I stop judging it by that metric, it turns out it's not bad. Still based on a not-great book series though.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I made it through season 2 today. Pretty solid and I'm really curious to where season 3 is gonna go.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You'll find out in maybe 15 months!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Or Netflix will just cancel it like everything else.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Rhyno posted:

Or Netflix will just cancel it like everything else.

After season 3 for sure.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Shooting Blanks posted:

This really feels like a show that probably only needs 2 more seasons, give or take. Structurally, it could go on as long as they have a writer's room since the characters never really age - but unless they change course and go American Horror Story with it each season (albeit with the same characters), this arc just doesn't feel like it has legs.

I'd rather have a post mortality futuristic murder mystery with a good cast of characters exploring crazy weird hosed up society and culture then another epic syfy story about mysterious precursors and xeno-tech.

Especially since the budget will probably get ground down into nothing as the series goes on. Cheap cgi is worse then just letting the imagination fill in the gap, but no every show has to have its "dramatic full face reveal" for the hidden mystery.

The reason Alien still holds up 41 years later is they saw the costume, knew it looked like poo poo, and decided to minimize how much of the creature they showed so audiences would create their own terrifying ideal from the brief flashes.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Feb 28, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Remember Ricky, the fabulous bisexual heart and soul of My So Called Life, who was also in Party Monster? He's in a great/terrible low budget gay meth movie called Meth Heads. Recommended.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I just paid for $30 on iTunes for MASH: The Complete Series. As a long time fan, it might be the best $30 I’ve spent in awhile.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

pentyne posted:

I'd rather have a post mortality futuristic murder mystery with a good cast of characters exploring crazy weird hosed up society and culture then another epic syfy story about mysterious precursors and xeno-tech.

Especially since the budget will probably get ground down into nothing as the series goes on. Cheap cgi is worse then just letting the imagination fill in the gap, but no every show has to have its "dramatic full face reveal" for the hidden mystery.

The reason Alien still holds up 41 years later is they saw the costume, knew it looked like poo poo, and decided to minimize how much of the creature they showed so audiences would create their own terrifying ideal from the brief flashes.

This. Epics are very hard to pull off, you need to have a long term plan and you generally need a budget to match. If they'd gone AHS with it and improved the writing it could have turned into a fantastic show.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

nate fisher posted:

I just paid for $30 on iTunes for MASH: The Complete Series. As a long time fan, it might be the best $30 I’ve spent in awhile.

I remember when the MASH sets were being released on VHS and spending probably that much (or more) on the box set of the first season. Still worth it too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
So is Hunters good or what cos them episodes are long as poo poo

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It got the coveted "my dad" endorsement

Mae
Aug 1, 2010

Supesudandi wa, kukan-nai no dandidesu

The episodes fluctuate wildly from good to bad to good and end in a very dumb way. Overall good show tho

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think Season 2 of AC was well acted and well shot, but the story lacked grip and there wasn't any real mystery, it relied on exactly the same flow as Season 1 right down to Kovacs having a revelation montage scene at the end of episode 6, and the finale in particular was very weak in comparison to S1. I didn't care about S2 supporting character's family in the way that S1 made me care about supporting character's family. There was no antagonist with real menace, so rather than feeling worried for the protagonists I always felt like they were one inspired speech from convincing all their opponents to get on their side. Poe was again fantastic, but his plot existed as a parallel track that mirrored the theme of the season rather than being integrally interwoven with the other characters like it was in S1. It felt a bit like they had a certain number of actors for a certain number of shooting days and worked backwards from that to develop a script.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

nate fisher posted:

X files is the same price. 11 seasons of 90s goodness.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
gently caress yeah: Kingdom S2 next month, mofos! :woop:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Escobarbarian posted:

So is Hunters good or what cos them episodes are long as poo poo

There’s good stuff in them and it’s best when it gets super stylized and pulpy, but uh, I dunno if I can give it a blank check recommendation because the last few episodes get super dumb. It’s a very weird tonal mess that fluctuates wildly between wanting to be “Inglorious Basterds in the 70’s” in some episodes and a serious character study about revenge and betrayal in others.

Carol Kane and Saul Rubinek are great in it, but I honestly thought Pacino was kind of terrible.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

Alchenar posted:

I think Season 2 of AC was well acted and well shot, but the story lacked grip and there wasn't any real mystery, it relied on exactly the same flow as Season 1 right down to Kovacs having a revelation montage scene at the end of episode 6, and the finale in particular was very weak in comparison to S1. I didn't care about S2 supporting character's family in the way that S1 made me care about supporting character's family. There was no antagonist with real menace, so rather than feeling worried for the protagonists I always felt like they were one inspired speech from convincing all their opponents to get on their side. Poe was again fantastic, but his plot existed as a parallel track that mirrored the theme of the season rather than being integrally interwoven with the other characters like it was in S1. It felt a bit like they had a certain number of actors for a certain number of shooting days and worked backwards from that to develop a script.

I walked away from S2.

S1 had a lot of problems but it had some cool scenes and visuals and neat ideas. S2 took the worst story-lines and side plots, put the focus on them, and dropped nearly everything else. "oh yea, ...that thing with the girl who was some guy's daughter and the hotel was taking care of her for some reason." "Oh, and that girl I forgot about bc she was part of the flash-backs I fast forwarded through bc they were terrible is now the show's motivation?...cool." Poe was fun though, I guess.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Basically Altered Carbon should abandon Kovacs and instead be a show all about long forgotten AIs with ennui.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
America Ferrera is leaving Superstore at the end of this season. Not sure I can see the show surviving that.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of funny how Year of the Rabbit has a special credit that Matt Berry wrote his own stuff.

I liked it but it felt like something Matt Berry was brought in to punch up, not something he helped develop. I could see the role being written for Tony Robinson.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Escobarbarian posted:

America Ferrera is leaving Superstore at the end of this season. Not sure I can see the show surviving that.

I can't believe it lasted this long. It's a fun show, but not 6 seasons and a movie fun.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Avenue 5 thread

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Carol Kane is great in Hunters and it's amazing how long she's been such a good actress despite really only ever doing one character

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Anyone seen Queen Sono yet? I've seen a few positive reviews of it.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chairman Capone posted:

Anyone seen Queen Sono yet? I've seen a few positive reviews of it.

Just the first episode. It's really trying, but I don't think the production team have the experience with action to make the kind of polished Nikita/Alias exprience it needs to be. It's absolutely gorgeous though, even if it's not got great action.

It's one of those weird cases where the choreography is actually really great and fun, but the editing and camera work is letting it down.

Anyway, give it a season and some experience under its belt and it could be really fun.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I watched Altered Carbon S2- it never really gets anywhere near as bad as S1 does at times, but it also is far less interesting and never has anything like the good parts of S1.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Holy poo poo, netflix has a remake of mewtwo strikes back

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I just learned that Matt Berry did an antiwar video satirizing the way they use toys to get kids interested in war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KtyMcb86go

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Panzeh posted:

I watched Altered Carbon S2- it never really gets anywhere near as bad as S1 does at times, but it also is far less interesting and never has anything like the good parts of S1.

They hitched their show to exploring the unknown mysteries of all that elder civilization stuff. Its a bad idea since the expanse is already doing that and Jeff Bezos is gonna fund that show for 10 seasons.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

pentyne posted:

They hitched their show to exploring the unknown mysteries of all that elder civilization stuff. Its a bad idea since the expanse is already doing that and Jeff Bezos is gonna fund that show for 10 seasons.

Nah that bit, to the extent they did it, is fine. The theme of the show is that every character is working out how to deal with trauma and how much memory makes up the person you are. The problem with S2 is that there's no mystery at all - really early on they reveal the common thread between who's being killed, the reason why is obvious, which makes the twist later on not actually a twist - it's the introduction of a character you don't care about at all. Whereas in S1 the twist character is revealed earlier, had always been an integral part of the plot, and the mystery held and was a good old Conan Doyle style 'the method was obvious all along, you just couldn't see it because you didn't understand the motives in play from the relevant characters'.

If they get a season 3 I don't think there was any indication they were going to go after the elder civilization stuff at all. None of the characters are on that path.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Alchenar posted:

If they get a season 3 I don't think there was any indication they were going to go after the elder civilization stuff at all. None of the characters are on that path.

Given what they revealed and what is going in the larger context of what was discussed and shown

- The appearance, dialogue, and motivations of an actual elder
- That Harlan and the founders wiped out a nursery/hibernation planet with a massive tech array defending it
- The Elders were an extremely war-like race fighting against some "unknown"
- Said angel fire array, the thing making the planet so insanely hard to land on or fly anything to a certain height is gone
- Elders having the power to corrupt a stack, DHF, and remote back up entirely via touch

It's a lot to use as story elements if they planned to go in a completely different direction for season 3. I love syfy as much as anyone who grew up reading Star Wars novels but Tv sci-fi shows trying for that whole epic saga mysteries have been underwhelming at best.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
hmmm how sad... maybe avenue 5 will make you happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HoKGo5kfBvA&t=2s

Pick fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Mar 1, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I called it out a while ago but man Futurama has definitely held up through time. Or at least the original run did, it steadily falls off but it remains pretty good to its final end.

Is there anywhere in the US to stream Year of the Rabbit?

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Mar 1, 2020