Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

StrixNebulosa posted:

Oh no, lots of games for a genre I like, whatever will I do

Given how big 8 + Empires + 9 are, I will probably play them for a while, burn out, come back to them, burn out again, and never completely move on. Except maybe to reinstall Fate/Extella and keep whacking away at that. (boring combat but a batshit story)

God help me whenever they drop Dynasty Warriors 10 - I'm really, really invested in this specific region of China. Like, to the point that I've read over half of the novel and hopefully will read the other half this year.

You may want to look into Total War: Three Kingdoms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

If you haven’t played 7, try that one too. It’s similar to 8, slightly fewer gameplay features, but it’s probably the best of the lot in terms of actually telling the three kingdoms story through its campaigns.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Ainsley McTree posted:

If you haven’t played 7, try that one too. It’s similar to 8, slightly fewer gameplay features, but it’s probably the best of the lot in terms of actually telling the three kingdoms story through its campaigns.

44 hours in it, don't worry. I love 7 a LOT.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

You may want to look into Total War: Three Kingdoms.

I'm very stupid playing strategy games so I need it to be a lot cheaper before I pick it up. (Same goes for the Ro3K games.) If it were XCOM I'd be good, but the only tactical Ro3K games are on the PS2, not on steam. (please please update and rerelease them! I liked them a lot!)

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Total War games are a pretty special breed of strategy in any case. It would be a good idea to try it for a few hours or at least get a cheaper one to start with before you commit to the expense. The mix of strategic-level decisions and real-time tactics for combat isn't something that necessarily appeals to everyone - I've enjoyed a lot of RTS games over the years, but something about the combination just never made TW games really click for me even when I tried my best to enjoy them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Sometime I will understand why I have such a skill disparity. I'm not amazing at XCOM but I can beat it on normal. I understand the general flow of "stand behind cover, throw grenades, advance there" and this applies to most stuff in that genre.

Strategy games meanwhile reveal how stupid I really am. Civ 5? If the difficulty isn't literally at baby I will die, usually to Carthage or India. I do not grok how to balance military needs vs everything else. This extends everywhere else in the genre - Stellaris, Master of Orion, Endless Legend, Total War Warhammer. RTSes also tend to evade me, unless I bring my special friend cheat codes. (I miss when these were kosher to have in games.)

I've tried to watch LPs and read strategy guides, but there's something that I just don't get, and yeah. It sucks! Fortunately other genres exist, and musous are very comfortably in the "are you breathing? you can do well" difficulty zone. (Unless you crank the difficulty on purpose, which isn't recommended unless you're intimate with the rhythms of how combat works. In 7 I could do this, but I'm still learning 8 and 9.)

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I'm just waiting for Koei to announce Samurai Warriors 5 to see if they're going to iterate on the DW9 style gameplay or keep with the old style.

That and announce Dragon Quest Heroes 3, but only if it has Sylvando.

ClothHat
Mar 2, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT MY LOVE OF THE LUMPEN-GOBLITARIAT
protip: trust no links I post

DrNutt posted:

I actually find the Dune setting pretty distasteful, the crimes of house atreides are just as bad as those of house harkkonen if you think about it

I think that's the whole point. This is like saying you don't like Frankenstein games because the real monster is man if you think about it.

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
Have a Shenzen IO!

https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=MphvZbKXc75Gzckn

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Much thanks!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Make no mistake, Total War games are very hard to lose on normal difficulty and that's even if you are a beginner. There WILL be serious setbacks and you'll play much more optimally the second time around but it will be difficult to properly lose.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
also all the total wars are on sale at Fanatical so you know

irresponsible purchases

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Det_no posted:

Make no mistake, Total War games are very hard to lose on normal difficulty and that's even if you are a beginner. There WILL be serious setbacks and you'll play much more optimally the second time around but it will be difficult to properly lose.

and if you're still having trouble, very easy is almost insultingly easy. and if you still want help, there's mods

Fifteen of Many
Feb 23, 2006
If I haven’t played a Total War game since the original Rome, have the games changed much through Warhammer 2?

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
In terms of campaign features that mostly don't work or have impact and lots of bugs? No. In terms of actually interesting combat? Total Warhammer absolutely blows the doors off everything else CA has ever done. It's not fundamentally different in terms of how you need to play, but the vastly increased differences between units make it a lot more fun. Factions are hugely different, and the unit scale variety is also excellent.

They're still shitlords who you shouldn't support, but if you're going to, make it Warhammer and not their other stuff.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Yo, give me your recommendations on this months Humble unlocks!
Definitely looking at Shenzen I/O, Okami and FrostPunk.
I know there are mixed opinions about the Pathfinder game, and Project Warlock.

The only one that looks like it probably isn't my jam is Warstone TD, but if it is an exceptional TD game I might be convinced.

Help a gooner out dudes

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Book of Demons is fun and has a demo if you want to try it first.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Not sure creative assembly deserve to be called shitlords honestly, they've been on a roll and seem pretty well adjusted

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I enjoy Dynasty Warriors 8's alternate histories.
Main Wu path: Sun Quan carries the burden of the kingdom after his father and brother die.
Alternate Wu path: father and brother live but still shove the responsibility onto Sun Quan, laughing at him needing to lead while they get to have fun fighting.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

Book of Demons is fun and has a demo if you want to try it first.

They’re making an actual card game out of it too.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Yall can have some keys because I forgot to pause this month:
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=uHCPr6CEfvNCxHvB Frostpunk
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=T3CG5mXpU65cZyS3 Okami
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=q8XymMPm3S3H24KV Shenzen
A92B*-LK9HQ-Q720B Und*rH*ro

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Feb 29, 2020

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Book of Demons is basically Diablo 1 if the RPG elements were pared down to health and mana upgrades and everything was kept in a cardboard/trading card aesthetic. No actual trading cards, though.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Book of Demons is basically Diablo 1 if the RPG elements were pared down to health and mana upgrades and everything was kept in a cardboard/trading card aesthetic. No actual trading cards, though.

Yikes no thank you

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Hub Cat posted:

Yall can have some keys because I forgot to pause this month:
https://www.humblebundle.com/gift?key=T3CG5mXpU65cZyS3 Okami
Thanks, I always wanted to play Okami, I really appreciate it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Fallom posted:

Yikes no thank you
It's more fun than it sounds, but I can understand why it wouldn't be for everyone. The entire thing is very streamlined and tongue-in-cheek. It's not really up to being a fully-featured ARPG of its own, more of a coffee break game.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed
I'm not sure if anyone's mentioned this here yet, but I learned the other day from the State of Decay 2 thread that SoD 2 is coming to steam next month (March 13), with the Juggernaut Edition: a new map, new weapons, more clothes (gently caress yeah dress-up), a graphics update, and the DLC is included (Heartland, which goes back to Trumbull County from the first game; and Daybreak, a co-op wave-defense mini-game thing). Anyone who has the Microsoft XBox Live Game Pass for Windows powered by Bing or bought the game from the microsoft store (sans game pass) will get the Juggernaut Edition upgrade for free. The Steam version will be the Juggernaut Edition, to be clear.

Undead Labs posted:

And, if you already own Daybreak, Heartland, or purchased the Ultimate Edition of State of Decay 2, we’re sending you some exclusive in-game gifts that won’t be available anywhere else. Simply log in on launch day to collect them!

more info here: https://www.stateofdecay.com/2020/02/14/state-of-decay-2-juggernaut-edition/

trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhj5phhsqC0

As for my thoughts: I loved the first game, despite (or maybe because of) the jank and obvious low budget. The second one is bigger and better and more-r. There are 3 maps (soon to be 4, plus Trumbull County from the Heartland dlc), each one seems to be about the size of the first game's map, but at least one (the Plateau) has a lot of mountains and cliffs that seem to exist mostly to get in the way when you want to go somewhere. The gameplay loop seems to take a lot from Breakdown (the endless mode from the first game). Scavenging is mostly the same. Zombies get more numerous and dangerous over time, and there are Plague Hearts around the map, which spawn red-eyed plague zombies (you can get a blood plague disease if they damage you) until you go in and destroy them (bring firecrackers and also fire). Cars require fuel now (and repair kits to get rid of damage). Crossbows are cool. Base management is about the same, and you have more control over the community itself - you can choose a leader which gives specific bonuses depending on what role they take (there are four leader roles and you know which one every character will become, so you can choose your leader accordingly). The most important thing about community management is the closet, which lets you play barbie dress-up with your survivors. You find new clothes out in the world, and those are unlocked globally (so if you start a new community, they'll have access to all the lizard hoodies and puffy vests you've already found). After you finish your community leader's main quest line, you can choose to retire the community and add some of those characters to a pool you can choose from when making a new community, so you can bring in your fully-loaded and -leveled zombie-slaying powerhouse hero to a group of absolute newbie survivors and get a little head start in the early game.

Oh, and there's multiplayer, up to four. Only the host keeps progress made, but all joining players can get a bunch of gear and Influence (currency) when playing in someone else's world. When searching buildings in multiplayer, every player has their own color-coded loot boxes, so everyone can get their own set of stuff from a house. I like it, because the more people you have, the more stuff you can get from a place. I'd imagine four people can get pretty wild - I think zombie spawns scale up (not sure about that), but Infestations and Plague Hearts and Juggernauts are all a lot easier, even with just one other person. AI allies can be helpful, but they're not very smart.

Overall: good game if you like zombies and some light base/community management/survival stuff. If you didn't like the first game, you probably won't like this one either, but if you did, you probably will.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Oh hey I actually just reinstalled SOD2 last night to see what's changed before this big patch and I think I'm back into it in a big way. I'm playing the Heartland map right now and I'm still pretty early on but really enjoying myself. I'm definitely liking the new cosmetics stuff for your survivors!

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

explosivo posted:

Oh hey I actually just reinstalled SOD2 last night to see what's changed before this big patch and I think I'm back into it in a big way. I'm playing the Heartland map right now and I'm still pretty early on but really enjoying myself. I'm definitely liking the new cosmetics stuff for your survivors!

I got a blue lizard hoodie the other day and it was more exciting than finding a rifle with a silencer already attached and a bunch of ammo while scavving.

bentacos
Oct 9, 2012
I've been looking forward to the steam release of that. Can't wait to play it. I played the poo poo out of the first one.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.
SoD2 is as janky and frustrating as the first game and the multiplayer barely works. It's still really fun despite that.

RVWinkle
Aug 24, 2004

In relating the circumstances which have led to my confinement within this refuge for the demented, I am aware that my present position will create a natural doubt of the authenticity of my narrative.
Nap Ghost
I have been following Godhood for some time now. The game wasn't too hot when it was first launched in early access but they just released a patch that really turns things around in my opinion. The developer, Abbey Games, have had a rough go of things lately but they're pretty cool dudes and I'm really rooting for them.

40 Proof Listerine
Jul 1, 2007

Baroness Kanan-Zelaya of the minor House of Carbon

RVWinkle posted:

I have been following Godhood for some time now. The game wasn't too hot when it was first launched in early access but they just released a patch that really turns things around in my opinion. The developer, Abbey Games, have had a rough go of things lately but they're pretty cool dudes and I'm really rooting for them.

I'll forever respect Abbey Games for Renowned Explorers and its crunchy tactical combat system that consists of solving problems by talking about it and managing people's mood. Winning battles by making your foes happy is both encouraged and rewarded.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Cardiovorax posted:

I've enjoyed a lot of RTS games over the years, but something about the combination just never made TW games really click for me even when I tried my best to enjoy them.

This sounded like me and I played Total War Medieval 2, Rome, Empire, Napoleon and Shogun 2 for less than 20 hours each but Total Warhammer really clicked and now I have over 100 hrs in TWW1 and over 400 hours in TWW2.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Xander77 posted:

I'm Israeli. Not a lot of tankies here. Quite a few people liberated from the camps by the Red Army after it defeated Nazi Germany though.

And a fair number more from after they "stopped" the Doctor's Plot.

Xander77 posted:

Yeah... that's a lie.

I mean, you could go with "Stalin killed a lot of people" and that would work, but "The Red Army built new ones" is just an outright lie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_transfer_in_the_Soviet_Union
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forced_settlements_in_the_Soviet_Union
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_deportations_from_Estonia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_deportations_from_Lithuania
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_deportations_from_Bessarabia_and_Northern_Bukovina
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deportation_of_the_Crimean_Tatars
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Priboi

The Soviet Union was a colonialist empire, HTH.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Wow, Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap looks EXACTLY as I remember it from 1989, what the hell changes did they make? The graphics are IDENTICAL to how I remember. I'll just hit this button that shows the original graphics to prove this point!

:stare:

Also they kept the ending where Wonder Boy gets to go home and the text says good night :3:

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Feb 29, 2020

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

RVWinkle posted:

Woah, what? Didn't they go out of business a few months ago?

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Hey Strix you should play Samurai Warriors: Spirit of Sanada! They went with a heavy story focus in that one and it's great - plus the way it's focused on a single clan makes it easy to wrap your head around the historical context at the time. I got it expecting a regular musou and I was amazed at how much I loved it.

Also re: Total War and CA, they are a great studio in terms of not being chuds and each free update and paid content drop for Warhammer is better than the last, but some people are still understandably angry about the disastrous Rome 2 launch. Personally, can't wait for TWW3.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Which Dynasty Warriors (or spin-off) is the best at what the series is best at/about because I'm only going to play one. PC only.

EDIT: Don't say "Joan Of Arc" because I finished it a decade ago and it kinda sucked.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

The Joe Man posted:

Which Dynasty Warriors (or spin-off) is the best at what the series is best at/about because I'm only going to play one. PC only.

Probably 8 Complete

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

kirbysuperstar posted:

Probably 8 Complete
I own the base game but no DLC. What's the difference between 8 and then 8 Empires (which I don't own)?

Confusing poo poo like this annoys me to no end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

The Joe Man posted:

I own the base game but no DLC. What's the difference between 8 and then 8 Empires (which I don't own)?

Confusing poo poo like this annoys me to no end.

Empires is an entirely different game with more of a strategic layer on top as you as a single officer try to go around conquering China. 8, meanwhile, sticks to the Ro3K storyline. It also has boatloads of extra missions and scenarios.

You do NOT need the DLC as most of it is either costumes, weapons, or extra scenarios. Only buy the DLC if you've beaten the main game and want more.