Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is Disney/Pixar's Onward not tracking well? They're doing a sneak preview on Saturday, which is pretty unusual.

I know I personally have a level of interest where if it happened to be just starting when I turned the channel, 50/50 chance I keep flipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Urdnot Fire posted:

https://twitter.com/SonyPictures/status/1233406684061548545

I cannot wait to see this shitshow on the big screen.

"Starring Milla Jovovich" has become a huge red flag.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Alhazred posted:

From that Twitter thread:
https://twitter.com/Cyclonebros/status/1233412317410250752

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gatts posted:

Lol that would be pretty good. A movie like a heist set up with meticulous planning and as if everyone has their poo poo together and under control and are cool and calm but during the actual heist right away the smallest thing goes differently like a guard drops his keys throwing the entire Timing and sequence off and then it turns into a Benny Hill type comedy of bumbling violence and messy sloppy panicked slapstick BS to conclusion.

This sounds like the unseen heist that sets up Reservoir Dogs. And/or about half my Payday games.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Jose Oquendo posted:

Is Disney/Pixar's Onward not tracking well? They're doing a sneak preview on Saturday, which is pretty unusual.

Pixar seems to have gotten really complacent lately. I remember when Cars was their only "bad" film, and now there have been several in the last few years that I can't imagine anyone giving a poo poo about.

Time Cowboy
Nov 4, 2007

But Tarzan... The strangest thing has happened! I'm as bare... as the day I was born!
As a huge fan of urban fantasy novels from the early 1980s like War for the Oaks and The Iron Dragon’s Daughter, I’m 100% pumped for Onward, but I guess that’s a pretty small niche.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Jose Oquendo posted:

The movie does feel a bit cold (I’m looking forward to it, but I’m also an A-List member at AMC, so I’ll see whatever), but I recall Ratatoullie having a sneak preview too.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Pixar seems to have gotten really complacent lately. I remember when Cars was their only "bad" film, and now there have been several in the last few years that I can't imagine anyone giving a poo poo about.

The entire point of Cars was selling merchandise that could be coded masculine to toddlers and young kids (as opposed to the endless princess poo poo from regular Disney), and afaik it’s been a huge success for that

*sigh*

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Alhazred posted:

Actually, all of the movies she's in by W.S. Anderson are fun lively action flicks. Late period Tony Jaa is a much bigger red flag.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Found Overlord (2018, JJ Abrams) in my library the other day, sat down to watch it this morning. Given that it's Abrams, there's a fair few problems here (only one female character with a speaking role and she of course gets sexually assaulted, politically correct history with race-integrated US army units in WW2), but beyond that this is a pretty decent Weird War Two action flick, rather a lot like an old-school Wolfenstein game on the big screen as American paratroopers stumble into Nazi super soldier zombies. It's a dark, chaotic, violent movie with lots of body horror that sets the tone well in the first five minutes. Despite the problems, a pretty enjoyable movie that I'm surprised I'd never heard of.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Cythereal posted:

Found Overlord (2018, JJ Abrams) in my library the other day, sat down to watch it this morning. Given that it's Abrams, there's a fair few problems here (only one female character with a speaking role and she of course gets sexually assaulted, politically correct history with race-integrated US army units in WW2), but beyond that this is a pretty decent Weird War Two action flick, rather a lot like an old-school Wolfenstein game on the big screen as American paratroopers stumble into Nazi super soldier zombies. It's a dark, chaotic, violent movie with lots of body horror that sets the tone well in the first five minutes. Despite the problems, a pretty enjoyable movie that I'm surprised I'd never heard of.
It’s not directed by Abrams, just produced

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Overlord is probably the closest we’ll get to a Castle Wolfenstein movie.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Patrick Spens posted:

Actually, all of the movies she's in by W.S. Anderson are fun lively action flicks. Late period Tony Jaa is a much bigger red flag.

"Late period" meaning everything after Tom Yum Goong.

nowwhat
Jan 10, 2015

Lid posted:

This reminded me of a film that i have never actually seen but always wanted to because the premise was so great.

https://m.imdb.com/title/tt1202514/

Accident is on US Netflix. It's more somber and less 'final destination' than I had hoped.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Alhazred posted:

She donates heavily to Bernie's campaign, so I'll take a bad actioner from her to makeup for it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

The red flag has a hammer and a sickle on it, comrade.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Cythereal posted:

My headcanon is that the US military in the film's world was desegregated because the Union needed extra soldiers after the Confederates, like the Nazis in the movie, found an elder god corpse they mined for its blood.

Which is to say the movie is also the closest thing we have to a Bloodborne adaptation.

Baron von Eevl posted:

"Late period" meaning everything after Tom Yum Goong.

He was pretty good in Furious 7.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
If nothing else I'll stan for Overlord's end credits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21HFtnxCL4k

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Speaking of who greenlit a movie I would love to hear how The Foreigner was greenlit. Because it definitely feels like two entirely different movies. Or rather it was like they pitched a script for a IRA thriller and then it's someone said no one's going to watch that so they add Jackie Chan. Like he has no real character arc, and his actions are weirdly inconsequential in a Indiana Jones kind of way. There's there's entire long stretch of the movie where it's not about him at all, and all about Pierce brosnan's IRA politicking.

He's great in it though, but almost in a Predator monster way.

Thundercracker fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Mar 1, 2020

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Wasn't foreigner the one w Johnny Depp?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

Wasn't foreigner the one w Johnny Depp?

You're probably thinking of The Tourist.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I liked The Foreigner. If you want a really lovely Chan movie from recently there's Bleeding Steel which I thoroughly gave up on halfway through.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's his best movie in the last five to ten years, he has starred in so many horrific Chinese flicks like loving Kung fu yoga

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

The MSJ posted:

He was pretty good in Furious 7.

He was fine but the extent of his role was "heavy #2*" and like all he had to do was stare intently and kick in a mildly acrobatic way. I'm not mad at the guy, I understand that people who train that heavily in muay thai have a very limited shelf life. He was also responsible for maybe the best action movie of the first decade of the 2000s, and then made another movie that had some of the best action setpieces from the same. Just from those 2 movies he deserves a lot of credit, but he went downhill really fast.

*and trust me, I'm familiar with heavy #2s

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I think tony just had that same problem of Hollywood not knowing what to do with him since he’s not exactly known for his English speaking chops

Didn’t help that Iko Uwais is basically taking the roles now that young tony would have gotten and people seem to seek him out

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
He also had that mental breakdown, that might have contributed.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Welp. News to me

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah Tony Jaa kind of vanished for... various reasons, depending on what story you believe, right around the time he would have been most in-demand, and then came back after his star had already fallen a good bit

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Thundercracker posted:

Speaking of who greenlit a movie I would love to hear how The Foreigner was greenlit. Because it definitely feels like two entirely different movies. Or rather it was like they pitched a script for a IRA thriller and then it's someone said no one's going to watch that so they add Jackie Chan. Like he has no real character arc, and his actions are weirdly inconsequential in a Indiana Jones kind of way. There's there's entire long stretch of the movie where it's not about him at all, and all about Pierce brosnan's IRA politicking.

It's based on a book called The Chinaman yet the book is only from the 90s, which explains why it is weird but not why it has a racist title (the movie rules, though)

Casimir Radon posted:

I liked The Foreigner. If you want a really lovely Chan movie from recently there's Bleeding Steel which I thoroughly gave up on halfway through.

Bleeding Steel is one of the most insane recent Chinese movies, by the end they are fighting on Star Destroyers and regenerating limbs. It's also weirdly predicts the basic plot of Star Trek: Picard

Alan Smithee posted:

Welp. News to me

That was either during or just after filming for Ong Bak 3 and around the time of one of the unrests in Thailand but I can't remember if any of that is directly responsible.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Thundercracker posted:

From what I can gather it's mostly the same as the novel it was based on right up to the end where Nguyen and the SAS are setting up to attack the bombers in the hotel at the same time and the SAS kill the bombers and Nguyen, and then they fail to stop the reporter boarding the plane with the rigged laptop and it explodes mid flight.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Time Cowboy posted:

As a huge fan of urban fantasy novels from the early 1980s like War for the Oaks and The Iron Dragon’s Daughter, I’m 100% pumped for Onward, but I guess that’s a pretty small niche.
Onward looks to be the polar opposite of the Iron Dragon's Daughter.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
I'm a "Storm of the Iron Daggerfiend part Six: Gremlin War of the Four Kingdoms: Whirlwind and Lava of the Elder Gods" fan

What were those eighties dad sci fi books called, Robot Rat or something? He was like lazer James bond

The Peccadillo fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Mar 1, 2020

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Stainless Steel Rat?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Y Pixar no make muscle barbarian with muscle barbarianess grab leg

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Stainless Steel Rat is kind of a comedy series.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Stainless Steel Rat?

That started back in 1957 but I guess it was also an 80s series, the most recent book was published in 2010

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

That started back in 1957 but I guess it was also an 80s series, the most recent book was published in 2010

I love old sci-fi, and The Stainless Steel Rat in particular, for the wild-rear end technology they extrapolate from the technology of the time.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

The Stainless Steel Rat is kind of a comedy series.

Did he have a family

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Eventually, yes. A wife, two sons, and sometimes a porcuswine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

ChickenMedium posted:

I love old sci-fi, and The Stainless Steel Rat in particular, for the wild-rear end technology they extrapolate from the technology of the time.

I remember one of the Foundation books has a character comment on the "beautifully-aged plastic" that some monument was made out of.