Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sadly you came in at the part of the roller coaster ride where we've all realized we want to get off but it's too late

If old DD is any indication, that's just the beginning.

I have read like 10 pages so far and we're got completely unnecessary full frontal nudity

Invisible Clergy posted:

Of course his kickstarter got funded right away. I hate him so much. That is a damnable pack of lies. How has this man been allowed to host a panel called "writing memorable heroes and villains" for multiple years?

to be fair, many of his characters are nothing if not memorable

not in good ways, mind

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Paramemetic posted:

I have read like 10 pages so far and we're got completely unnecessary full frontal nudity

Read and despair

https://www.dominic-deegan.com/nudity-in-the-legacy/

Hardcore fuckin' is inevitable

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I can't stop laughing

I am so excited that Mookie is going to indulge in a compulsion to just draw completely unnecessary nudity so that everyone can, well, see more of his uh, beautiful characters

Edit: it looks like at some point he learned you shouldn't connect noses to the upper lip when drawing people and now they are uncanny valley

Paramemetic fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Feb 27, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

What is his panel creation process like that it results in a gutter so misshapen.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

I... what is this gag supposed to be??? Is the ravine fed up with the sign too? That's what the 'throw thing in pit, pit spits it out' gag is supposed to be about, but there's no logic of 'haha gently caress SIGNS am I right' that would make any sense out of this.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He watched looney tunes and decided that is his new thing

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Mongreltown will be down there :geno:

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

TheHan posted:

What is his panel creation process like that it results in a gutter so misshapen.

I believe we discussed this:

Mookie used to freehand his borders with a pencil and no straight edge, which is why his gutters were irregular. Lately he has moved to some kind of digital program which will draw lines for him done through a tablet computer. However, he is too stupid to use it to either create boxes or have it draw auto perpendicular lines that cut at the corner. Consequently, we get irregular gutters with open borders or extra kibble half the time.

Time for an old pastime: edits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
Ok Mookie. We get it. We critiqued the sign, now the characters have spent a week critiquing the signs. Move on already.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

He probably got the idea because of that one person that was confused about the sign on Twitter. And now we get a week of sign jokes just so he can prove he actually totally did that on purpose.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Rotten Red Rod posted:

He probably got the idea because of that one person that was confused about the sign on Twitter. And now we get a week of sign jokes just so he can prove he actually totally did that on purpose.

Ohh I have no doubt that’s why he’s doing it. It’s just infuriating, and also convinced me even he does not care about his “story”. He interrupted a whole week of comic for this. Even if his readers time is worthless, doesn’t he value his own time?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Drunk Theory posted:

Ohh I have no doubt that’s why he’s doing it. It’s just infuriating, and also convinced me even he does not care about his “story”. He interrupted a whole week of comic for this. Even if his readers time is worthless, doesn’t he value his own time?

he's spent a decade+ making this comic series.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Sadly you came in at the part of the roller coaster ride where we've all realized we want to get off but it's too late

Page one was eight months ago.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

Synthbuttrange posted:

he's spent a decade+ making this comic series.

That’s....yeah ok, good point.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Drunk Theory posted:

It’s just infuriating, and also convinced me even he does not care about his “story”

There's the problem.

Mookie does not write stories, he doesn't sit down and ask "Ok, where this this going, what are my themes, what are the implications of this?"

Mookie writes scenes. Sometimes those scenes almost fit together, but it's like jigsaw puzzle pieces from different pictures made at the same factory.

Edit: The only reason they're going to Fantasy Racism Mongrel Town at all is so:
A) the Orc Wizard can do a hate crime
B) Snout and The Ink Witch can rent a one-bed hotel room together (so Snout can be a chaste gentleman this time and make a big show about sleeping on the floor).
C) Both

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 28, 2020

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Plus side: dongrel got owned, yet again.

Gripe: the sign apparently following a curved trajectory only once it cleared the lip of the cliff. That's not how physics works.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
When are they gonna get to the fireworks factory

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Invisible Clergy posted:

I believe we discussed this:

Mookie used to freehand his borders with a pencil and no straight edge, which is why his gutters were irregular. Lately he has moved to some kind of digital program which will draw lines for him done through a tablet computer. However, he is too stupid to use it to either create boxes or have it draw auto perpendicular lines that cut at the corner. Consequently, we get irregular gutters with open borders or extra kibble half the time.

I don’t know how I missed that, it’s almost certainly Procreate but I’m almost certain there’s at least a shape tool in there. It’d be so easy to find out but it’s like he refuses to learn anything.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'm pretty sure he's also doing this because he has no ideas for Mongreltown.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Mors Rattus posted:

He genuinely thinks this is entertaining, I bet.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Mors Rattus posted:

Oh it's both.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

I've been ill as of late and had forgotten and just caught up on this thread. I'm afraid I feel as though many aspects of this comic are in fact, bad.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

What were the best parts of dominic deegan?

Legacy feels like wading through sludge compared to my memory of DD, where stuff at least tried to happen. If I wanted to go back to the most competent arc of DD to compare, which arc would that be?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ninjewtsu posted:

The end.

Because there was no more Dominic Deegan.

Of course, there's this comic now, undermining even that.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

Legacy feels like wading through sludge compared to my memory of DD, where stuff at least tried to happen. If I wanted to go back to the most competent arc of DD to compare, which arc would that be?

In all seriousness, there are no good parts of Dominic Deegan. Summaries of events from the other posters and me inevitably make the comic sound much more exciting than it actually was to read.

In my brief rundown of Milov's character arc and the summary of the Eldariat to Die storyline, for example, I left out that for weeks and months at a time during both of these, there were just as many strips of nothing happening (puns, walking, loving around, alliteration, cutaways, etc) and the pacing was completely hosed.

It's not unique to these storylines. Celesto's arc with the beast, David Johann's endgame toward the climax of the comic, they're all pretty much the same when it comes to crappy filler comics in the middle of them.

Now, all that being said, Mookie has undoubtedly gotten worse about all this stuff. It's a hundred times worse in Legacy than it was in Deegan Classic. But that doesn't mean all these problems weren't present there. They were. We just kind of elide past it when summarizing events since it doesn't change anything, and whenever discussing Deegan, there is an implied "but imagine that what I just described was terrible and dumb."

In the interests of addressing your question to the best of my ability, lay out your criteria for competence and I'll do my best to give you a coherent answer.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I'm mostly just looking for which part was the best, from a standard that isn't "fun to laugh at" but which arc is the closest to being intentionally good or fun to read (yes I'm aware the answer is "none of it" but it'd be cool to go back and read the arc where it got closest). I guess the closest to well defined criteria would be "when does mookie get as close to being as good as he thinks he is?" Or rather, if you were judging the work based on what it's aiming to be rather than what it actually is

When did dominic deegan peak

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 29, 2020

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I'd say it happened around the time Dominic went full Golden Age Superhero and just stood around doing nothing while the bad guys accomplished all of their goals and thwarted one another without his direct intervention until the last second when a new power or ability would drop unearned and effortless into Dominic's lap and he'd resolve the problem of the year in an anticlimax.

Wait, that was still every single arc, wasn't it? poo poo.

The real answer was "that time Mookie tried to make rape a heroic act." That was peak Dominic Deegan.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Feb 29, 2020

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I'd say Storm of Souls was peak Deegan because it felt like an actual ending to the series, with everything after being some kind of asspull to extend its life.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

From an art standpoint, I actually did like how he played with the medium by having the Beast’s tentacles gum up the panels... but then he also committed the cardinal sin of making the eldritch abomination subservient to a person.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Regalingualius posted:

From an art standpoint, I actually did like how he played with the medium by having the Beast’s tentacles gum up the panels... but then he also committed the cardinal sin of making the eldritch abomination subservient to a person.

This is fine though? A well-written human antagonist using forces beyond their comprehension is a good plot arc and doesn’t have to directly lead to them getting eaten. To point towards Negarestani or DOOM, fossil fuels are a cosmic horror but fuel execs are more or less in control of them.

I assume this being DD the whole thing was terrible nonsense though.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

I vaguely remember Greg turning himself into Super Greg to try and save some ice lady from being vengeful so I feel like that's probably the apex of it in the sense of Peak Mookie.

Roleplaying Larry
Dec 5, 2008
The Storm of Souls is the least bad part of Dominic Deegan. There are very vague hints of actual cool ideas somewhere in there, they’re just executed terribly and of course the art is rear end the whole way through, but compared to the rest of the comic it’s the highest point.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Tesseraction posted:

Plus side: dongrel got owned, yet again.

Gripe: the sign apparently following a curved trajectory only once it cleared the lip of the cliff. That's not how physics works.

What if the cliff is several thousand meters tall and the wind carried it up

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Hostile V posted:

I vaguely remember Greg turning himself into Super Greg to try and save some ice lady from being vengeful so I feel like that's probably the apex of it in the sense of Peak Mookie.

Was that the one where Dominic revealed that he’d set up the whole thing with an overly-complicated scheme to teach Greg a lesson about using his power responsibly?

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything
I actually enjoyed parts of Storm of Souls when I read it many, many years ago. Without rereading it, it would probably have been something you could look at and go, 'hey this teen is showing a lot of potential, he might make something good in 8 years."

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

ninjewtsu posted:

I'm mostly just looking for which part was the best, from a standard that isn't "fun to laugh at" but which arc is the closest to being intentionally good or fun to read (yes I'm aware the answer is "none of it" but it'd be cool to go back and read the arc where it got closest). I guess the closest to well defined criteria would be "when does mookie get as close to being as good as he thinks he is?" Or rather, if you were judging the work based on what it's aiming to be rather than what it actually is

When did dominic deegan peak
The answer is once more, "none of it."

If I had to answer anyway, I would say the War in Hell arc. Being free from Dominic himself and all his rear end in a top hat friends for 2 years of comics, even if it's just to assassinate Siegfried's character and deal with a bunch of new characters I don't know or care about as he wages war against Karnak is as close as the comic ever got to being good, but to be clear, it still sucked and was terrible. This is an arc that ends with Siegfried eating his dad's magically-animated head for no immediately clear reason.

PoptartsNinja posted:

I'd say it happened around the time Dominic went full Golden Age Superhero and just stood around doing nothing while the bad guys accomplished all of their goals and thwarted one another without his direct intervention until the last second when a new power or ability would drop unearned and effortless into Dominic's lap and he'd resolve the problem of the year in an anticlimax.

Wait, that was still every single arc, wasn't it? poo poo.

The real answer was "that time Mookie tried to make rape a heroic act." That was peak Dominic Deegan.

Perfect answer. The only reason people were against Stonewater was because they were mind controlled by a hate demon. Not Dominic though, he knows that child rape is a heroic act. Mookie playing dumb about why this was so poorly received is definitely him at the height of his power. This was the single event in the comic's history that caused the largest number of his fans to see the light and realize the comic they were reading was terrible and they either cut themselves loose or joined one of the various mock threads.

Hostile V posted:

The Snowsong arc is a good choice for Peak Deegan.

For ninjewtsu's benefit, in summary: Snowsong was a former cultist of Dominic's necromancer brother, Jacob (read: an unnamed extra.) Dominic beat them up and splintered their cell very early in the comic. Years later, Snowsong tracked down Dominic with the aim of revenging herself on him for killing all her friends. Internal narration reveals her motivation wasn't exactly avenging the deaths of her friends, but more a philosophical objection to Dominic for being a cop and a square and trying to stop her and her fellow cultists from coloring outside the lines and doing forbidden magic like demon stuff and necromancy. She resented Deegan for being hidebound and set in his ways and was planning to kill him but saw him buy oranges instead of apples while at the grocery store.

This shook her resolve. She continued to stalk him, but then saw him later wearing a different shirt from the shirt he was wearing the last time she saw him. Consequently, she decided he wasn't a rule-following robot after all. She was about to leave but then Greg saw her and attacked her and the rest of the arc was an interminable fight. Greg used white magic and turned into Superman. He beat Snowsong but did not kill her.

After this fight, he had "used up" his internal reservoir of white magic and lost his powers. Consequently, his character was drastically rewritten for the second and final time (in the beginning of the comic, he was blonde, slender and waifish with a bum leg full of necrotic magic. After having the magic cancer ripped out and turned into body armor by Jacob, the veins of white magic in his body could flow unimpeded, making him muscular and able bodied and turning his hair red, changing his personality from meek to brash shonen protagonist) into the decidedly nonmagical Metal Greg who was short and wiry with long black Greg Universe hair and a lovely beard. From this point on, he spent all his time playing electric guitars in a metal band and never did anything of consequence to the plot again.

Regalingualius posted:

Was that the one where Dominic revealed that he’d set up the whole thing with an overly-complicated scheme to teach Greg a lesson about using his power responsibly?
Yeah. Dominic saying his catchphrase: "dance, puppets, dance!" well known as a normal thing good guys say.

GrossMurpel posted:

What if the cliff is several thousand meters tall and the wind carried it up
No physics in the Mild Edge.

Roleplaying Larry posted:

The Storm of Souls is the least bad part of Dominic Deegan. There are very vague hints of actual cool ideas somewhere in there, they’re just executed terribly and of course the art is rear end the whole way through, but compared to the rest of the comic it’s the highest point.

Like any cool idea Mookie had, it was lifted wholesale from Green Lantern comics that were coming out at that time. In this case, Geoff Johns's "Rebirth" arc about Parallax.

Joe Slowboat posted:

This is fine though? A well-written human antagonist using forces beyond their comprehension is a good plot arc and doesn’t have to directly lead to them getting eaten. To point towards Negarestani or DOOM, fossil fuels are a cosmic horror but fuel execs are more or less in control of them.

I assume this being DD the whole thing was terrible nonsense though.
The whole thing was indeed terrible nonsense. What you're saying is true, of course, but the problem with this in general (and exemplified in Dominic Deegan) is that after the hero beats up and kills the unspeakable horror with all of his resources, having the real boss be a less powerful human is anticlimactic. You're working backwards. If you're writing a crappy video game where the main just kills bosses, they should be ascending in power level.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Invisible Clergy posted:

She resented Deegan for being hidebound and set in his ways and was planning to kill him but saw him buy oranges instead of apples while at the grocery store.

This shook her resolve. She continued to stalk him, but then saw him later wearing a different shirt from the shirt he was wearing the last time she saw him.

Dominic did these things on purpose to convince her, because he saw the future.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Ague Proof posted:

Dominic did these things on purpose to convince her, because he saw the future.

That's what he claims, yes, but he always says that after the danger is over.

It's objectively ridiculous that either of these things actually work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ague Proof posted:

I actually enjoyed parts of Storm of Souls when I read it many, many years ago. Without rereading it, it would probably have been something you could look at and go, 'hey this teen is showing a lot of potential, he might make something good in 8 years."
I felt similarly about Draken, but that actually panned out.