Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

La morte non ha sesso
No one:

Rose the Hat: You're probably wondering why I'm wearing this hat,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

COOL CORN posted:

Candyman has one of my favorite shots in all of horror

Hell yeah.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The new Invisible Man movie definitely starts better than it finishes, but I still enjoyed and recommend it.

The best part of the movie for me was right at the very beginning when she was trying to leave the house without making any sound. Super tense, and extremely well shot.

Yes, I thought the longer it went on the worse it got but I still enjoyed it overall. You really have no trouble believing that Moss has been in a terribly controlling and abusive relationship, that part was very well done. But I was surprised that she was able to hide the suit, a person that controlling must have known that she had a hiding spot. It is one to watch.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I really like Invisible Man. That's how you do a "remake" of an existing franchise. Also the suit design was pretty bad-rear end.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

AKZ posted:

I can appreciate what I think they were going for, but holy poo poo was some of the dialogue/acting hack, which I get with the aesthetic. I guess I felt like they leaned in so hard to it that the characters weren't even characters, they just turned into wooden archetypes. If that was the goal of the style it worked.

IDK, I think I've become spoiled.

There's definitely something to be said for stock characters in genre films. You get to just yada yada the character building, and go straight into swinging axes into peoples' heads. That said I did appreciate the few moments between the main VFW buddies at the bar, and I wish the "bad guys" were fleshed out a bit more. Maybe put in a quick Battleship Potemkin homage, with an infant crying as the mob rampages past them.

graventy
Jul 28, 2006

Fun Shoe

Debbie Does Dagon posted:

I was ready to walk into the movie wondering if maybe she really was just paranoid but no, the trailer makes everything pretty plain. I'm sure how terrible trailers are for plot spoilers has been talked about a million times, but apparently I just need to avoid them from now on.

I mean, the title of the movie gives that away too, though to be honest I think it would be cool as hell to see The Invisible Man where it all actually is just in your head.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

If that sound interesting to you, you should check out Bug. It's not really the same concept, but it has the best exploration of paranoia I've ever seen put to film

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Bug OWNS

AKZ
Nov 5, 2009

That said I did appreciate the few moments between the main VFW buddies at the bar, and I wish the "bad guys" were fleshed out a bit more.

Yea that is a good point now that I think about it. It felt like the acting/talent was lopsided to the old guys and the baddies felt really poorly/under acted to me. I'll give it a couple of days and watch it again.

I also realized that I'm never funny on a comedy forum. Goddamnit.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

AKZ posted:

I also realized that I'm never funny on a comedy forum. Goddamnit.

Welcome to the club :hfive:

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

If that sound interesting to you, you should check out Bug. It's not really the same concept, but it has the best exploration of paranoia I've ever seen put to film

Bug (2006)? Just making sure I'm getting the right one, there's a 1975 film too

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Tarnop posted:

Bug (2006)? Just making sure I'm getting the right one, there's a 1975 film too

Yeah the Friedkin one

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Thanks!

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

If it has Michael Shannon in it, it's the right one.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

i watched the new Color Out of Space with Nicolas Cage last night. Can't believe there's not more buzz around it, I mean it's John Carpenter's first time directing since the Ward!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Kvlt! posted:

i watched the new Color Out of Space with Nicolas Cage last night. Can't believe there's not more buzz around it, I mean it's John Carpenter's first time directing since the Ward!

We’ve been raving about it for like two months! I picked it up on Blu-ray the other day, I don’t usually buy films I’ve already seen when they first come out but it was relatively cheap and I’m gonna want to rewatch it soon.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
Laaate to the party but Viy is the most blessed movie I've seen since, Hausu perhaps? An absolute joy to watch, I wonder if young Sam Raimi had seen this one.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

married but discreet posted:

Laaate to the party but Viy is the most blessed movie I've seen since, Hausu perhaps? An absolute joy to watch, I wonder if young Sam Raimi had seen this one.

Viy is a lot of fun. Absolutely charming.

I watched VFW and I liked it but I didn't love it. I'm just going to keep evangelizing Bliss instead.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
there was another adaptation of viy a few years ago and the sequel has arnold schwarzenegger, jackie chan, rutger hauer, and charles dance. this is a thing that actually exists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkLGnAuCbR4

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

pospysyl posted:

Now there's a man who should be in more horror movies. He was scarily intense in Take Shelter, and I'd love to see him in a good, modern, straight up horror

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hell House is a delightful found footage film, shame the sequels are apparently terrible.

My one problem with the movie: they kept saying people "hanged" themselves instead of "hung" themselves. I'm pretty sure that's grammatically incorrect, am I wrong about that?

Does anyone still have that list of found footage films people in this thread recommend a while back?

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Hell House is a delightful found footage film, shame the sequels are apparently terrible.

My one problem with the movie: they kept saying people "hanged" themselves instead of "hung" themselves. I'm pretty sure that's grammatically incorrect, am I wrong about that?

Does anyone still have that list of found footage films people in this thread recommend a while back?

Hanged is used specifically for the method of death, although I believe usage has largely shifted towards "hung" for everything

I think this was the list

The Senator Giroux
Jul 9, 2006
Dead Ringer

If it’s a picture, it’s hung. If it’s a person, it’s hanged.

A hung person is...something different.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Sarchasm posted:

I'm just going to keep evangelizing Bliss instead.

I finally sat through that the other day. I liked the premise, thought the effects were nicely done, but Good God I couldn't stand any of the characters in it. I guess that's a testament to the skill of the actors to have me thinking 'Finally!' when the character died.

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016
Is the most recent Moorhead and Benson movie ever coming out? I think it screened at festivals like two years ago and never heard anything about it since.

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

aware of dog posted:

Is the most recent Moorhead and Benson movie ever coming out? I think it screened at festivals like two years ago and never heard anything about it since.

The Endless, or another one?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The first sequel to Hell House is pretty good. The second one is kinda balls out crazy but in a good way.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Sarchasm posted:

I watched VFW and I liked it but I didn't love it. I'm just going to keep evangelizing Bliss instead.

Honestly, why choose? They're both excellent George Wendt films

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Friends Are Evil posted:

The Endless, or another one?

No, they made a movie with Jamie Dornan and Anthony Mackie, Synchronic. I hope someone picks it up for distribution

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://deadline.com/2019/10/jamie-dornan-anthony-mackie-synchronic-us-international-deals-1202756622/

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

Awesome! I’ve loved all their stuff so far, so I’ll be glad when this finally hits theaters

Friends Are Evil
Oct 25, 2010

cats cats cats

aware of dog posted:

No, they made a movie with Jamie Dornan and Anthony Mackie, Synchronic. I hope someone picks it up for distribution

Huh. Didn’t even know they made another movie. Good to hear it’s getting a release

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Sarchasm posted:

I just want Joe Begos to be able to do whatever the gently caress he wants, honestly. He's like if Rob Zombie and Jason Eisener did the DBZ fusion dance, and I've at least liked everything I've seen from him so far.

The Mind's Eye also whips serious rear end, if y'all haven't seen that. It's not even pretending to not just be Scanners + Beyond The Black Rainbow, but it's really good at being that.

TheOmegaWalrus
Feb 3, 2007

by Hand Knit
There's a very strong case to be made about Joe Begos being Rob Zombie's illegitimate son.

That dirty fucker probably has hundreds of bastards spread all over America.

Grungy Genghis Khan.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

TheOmegaWalrus posted:

There's a very strong case to be made about Joe Begos being Rob Zombie's illegitimate son.

That dirty fucker probably has hundreds of bastards spread all over America.

Grungy Genghis Khan.

Don't give Kvlt that hope

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I finally watched all of the Freddy movies. I think I'm too close to them to really rank them in a solid order. So a few quick thoughts:

1 has the best kills of the series. The girl being dragged onto the ceiling by an invisible force, and Johnny Depp being turned into a geyser of blood, are both real highlights. The kills become more wild and crazy in the other films, but none of them really have the same impact. Except maybe...

Dream Master. Dream Master has a lot of kinda dumb kills, but the roach motel kill is something else. I'd have loved a feature length Metamorphosis inspired Freddy film. The werewolf-like transformation of her becoming a roach is just absolutely perfect. Dream Master also has the best death of Freddy, with all the souls climbing out of him and escaping. A+ body horror.

3 and New Nightmare are extremely solid films. Dream Child and Final Nightmare are very middling. If you told me that Dream Child was dubbed in post, and Final Nightmare was made-for-TV, I wouldn't be surprised.

The 2010 remake is the only film I felt bored during. It began promisingly with a cute guy being terrorised, but there really isn't anything memorable about the film. I appreciated that they tried to address Freddy as a child predator, but the way they did it didn't really feel earned. I also didn't feel comfortable with them making Freddy look like a more realistic burn victim. In theory that's a really neat idea, but in practice I just felt like the were othering people with disabilities. Especially combined with the child molestation subplot.

The only thing I have to say about the second film is: Remake it and make Grady the love interest, you cowards.

Edit: Okay maybe I have a lot more to say about the second film, but most of it boils down to wanting to make it a double bill with Brain Damage.

Grady is the love interest in Elm Street 2, and swapping him and the girl character would ruin the point of the film.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I finally sat through that the other day. I liked the premise, thought the effects were nicely done, but Good God I couldn't stand any of the characters in it. I guess that's a testament to the skill of the actors to have me thinking 'Finally!' when the character died.

Yeah, everyone in Bliss is a scumbag. It's one of the things I like about the movie, but I understand if it doesn't gel with everyone.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Saw The Invisible Man today, and didn't really like it that much. Great premise, but it just didn't feel like it really clicked with me.

Did the director of this one do Upgrade as well? It's got quite a few of those weirdly framed tracking shots where when someone moves up or down or falls over the entire POV follows them.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love those kinds of shots so now I’m very very excited

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

pospysyl posted:

true on any movie selection night