Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Except people aren't??? Idk why you guys are so upset that people see things differently than you :/

because repeatedly saying things like this about even shows that are incredibly explicit basically serves to undermine queer romance in media

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Except people aren't??? Idk why you guys are so upset that people see things differently than you :/

because ive had to navigate this kind of pedantry for literally every gay romance anime ever made

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

it's not exactly controversial that there are people (beyond me) who see a superficially ambiguous presentation.

these people are complete idiots at best and wilfully dense homophobes usually, it doesn't matter what they think

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

Tyler the Creator made two whole albums about being in love with a man and there are still folks out there claiming he's just "playing a character" and that he's not really gay

For cishet people, there will always be an amount of denial because these queer narratives are just so alien to them

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
:shrug: I don't know why y'all are being so absolutist about it, but whatever; To each their own, in the end. Let's talk about something else.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

miki is a lesbian

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

everythingWasBees posted:

it's incredibly unrepresentative of the show lol
it's a sports anime about skating. there's also a bit of gay romance. it's not really anything more than that. and it doesn't really need to be imo.

like you can definitely make that read I guess but like that would be a terrible way to describe the show.

I dunno, the skating is definitely the bit we see most, but that doesn't mean everything else is unimportant, because the show deliberately conceals or de-emphasises a lot of the emotional context of the skating in a way that tells you 'there is something important here, but you won't see all of it'. It definitely feels like it's the bit we spend most time with because it's the most public part of their lives.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jul 27, 2021

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Endorph posted:

you may reply that other gay people also think its ambiguous, but gay people are notoriously bad at understanding media, due to the shackles forced on them by the hets, who are even worse at it. only by accepting that kannazuki no miko is a good anime can we be free. god bless the usa.

i take issue with this btw because historically gay people got really good at reading media because they needed to be to find stories for them oftentimes

like, i get saying that if you are looking at like mostly younger people on twitter or tumblr who are growing up in a different environment from us where being gay is "accepted" by the mainstream as long as its toothless and kinda corporate feeling, and their viewpoints often clash with older perspectives on this

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
On the one hand corporations deliberately coding in enough cues to get The Gays interested but not so many that the straights catch it is hosed up & exploitative on a metatextual level, but on the other, folks being negative to other folks for taking something or another out of said products is not cool and also about 75% of Tumblr "discourse".

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i have been enjoying 'can't defy the lonely girl' a lot lately
lot of good yuri to read... strange voices next door... run away with me girl... still sick... your true color seems like it has good potential...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Syenite posted:

On the one hand corporations deliberately coding in enough cues to get The Gays interested but not so many that the straights catch it is hosed up & exploitative on a metatextual level, but on the other, folks being negative to other folks for taking something or another out of said products is not cool and also about 75% of Tumblr "discourse".
And also people really love accusing things that are blatant of being 'coding.'

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

strange voices next door

I'm convinced this one is the author's self-insert wish fulfillment fantasy and I'm 100% on board with it.

Hungry fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Feb 29, 2020

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

That's a thornier issue, as you can't really generalize perception like that. What comes across as obvious to one doesn't to another.

Hungry
Jul 14, 2006

edit: quote is not edit

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Hungry posted:

I'm convinced this one is the author's self-insert wish fulfillment fantasy and I'm 100% on board with it.

my favorite genre of yuri manga is "want this to happen to me, me personally, snooze cruise"

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Endorph posted:

what does coding mean

the best i could figure out from seeing people talk about it is that it's about characters looking/acting in some way stereotypically associated with lgbt people?

RottenK fucked around with this message at 23:13 on Feb 29, 2020

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Snooze Cruise posted:

my favorite genre of yuri manga is "want this to happen to me, me personally, snooze cruise"

:same:

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

i am glad you are supporting my dreams :angel:

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RottenK posted:

what does coding mean

the best i could figure out from seeing people talk about it is that it's about characters looking/acting in some way stereotypically associated with lgbt people?
implying lgbt without actualyl saying it. sometimes its what you said sometimes it's more behavior based. a good example would be a lot of 90s disney villains, like scar. lots of tossing his hair around, kind of fabulous voice, treated as a contrast to the hypermasculine mufasa who's married with a kid, big showtune, eloquent, that kinda thing. that's a character who obviously isn't explicitly gay but has those elements for one reason or another.

ofc as time's gone on its lost basically all meaning

Syenite
Jun 21, 2011
Grimey Drawer
I'd platonically date Scar

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Mr Wint and Mr Kidd

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

i have been enjoying 'can't defy the lonely girl' a lot lately
lot of good yuri to read... strange voices next door... run away with me girl... still sick... your true color seems like it has good potential...

wheenever i can read yuri again im gonna have the bagngnersst backlog

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Maekawa is extremely powerful

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

DisDisDis posted:

wheenever i can read yuri again im gonna have the bagngnersst backlog

you'd really like run away with me girl, I think

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

it is probably the most painful manga I've read in a while though, especially the current arc
thankfully the scanlation group recognizes this and are doing their best to get it out as quickly as possible so as not to prolong our suffering

ty SAD

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
SAD... more like stupid assholes dummies!1

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

SAD... more like stupid assholes dummies!1

wtf

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

lol

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Syenite posted:

I think it depends on what you mean by being negative, or how you go about it. Like, giving someone grief over getting something positive out of something is pretty lovely, but I don't think it's wrong to talk about why you don't think something is exploitative or why you don't like it or whatever.

everythingWasBees posted:

it is probably the most painful manga I've read in a while though, especially the current arc
thankfully the scanlation group recognizes this and are doing their best to get it out as quickly as possible so as not to prolong our suffering

ty SAD

What's SAD in this context?

Hungry posted:

I read yuri manga to fill the empty void of cute girls that I am in a relationship with. :smith:

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
lmfao, good work everyone

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

hachi machi

that means 8 machi

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Cuntellectual posted:

What's SAD in this context?

scan group, Sexy Akiba Detectives

Stalin-Chan
Feb 11, 2009
my dream anime, what if yuri on ice- but w/ actual yuri

Endorph posted:

implying lgbt without actualyl saying it. sometimes its what you said sometimes it's more behavior based. a good example would be a lot of 90s disney villains, like scar. lots of tossing his hair around, kind of fabulous voice, treated as a contrast to the hypermasculine mufasa who's married with a kid, big showtune, eloquent, that kinda thing. that's a character who obviously isn't explicitly gay but has those elements for one reason or another.

ofc as time's gone on its lost basically all meaning

also for some reason 90% of the time the queer coded character has to be the villain and has to die, that's not specifically a part of coding but thanks disney.

Stalin-Chan fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Mar 1, 2020

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE

Stalin-Chan posted:

my dream anime, what if yuri on ice- but w/ actual yuri

also for some reason 90% of the time the queer coded character has to be the villain and has to die, that's not specifically a part of coding but thanks disney.

my general memory of seeing lgbt people in media when i was a kid is that more often than not they were treated badly, either as a villain or a joke or both, and even sympathetic characters would often suffer pointlessly or have a tragic end just for drama

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
just remember how kids next door had a mr wint and mr kidd parodies