Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you can present the material but you can't make me care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
gopher should have been enough for anybody

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

curl should have been enough for anybody

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

eschaton posted:

why is anyone trying to do high performance 3D graphics with JavaScript in web pages anyway

they’re for textual documents and JavaScript is deprecated

wabassembly says hi

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

eschaton posted:

why is anyone trying to do high performance 3D graphics with JavaScript in web pages anyway

they’re for textual documents and JavaScript is deprecated

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gopher should have been enough for anybody

this but unironically

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

josh04 posted:

wabassembly says hi

like anything uses webassembly except Bitcoin miners

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

eschaton posted:

like anything uses webassembly except Bitcoin miners

blazor maybe someday

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
I used some blazor this week (server side) and it was very good. I didn't have to write any javascript at all.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xik posted:

this but unironically

consider who you were quoting

it was always unironic

just now you have committed the crime of agreeing with the notorious b.s.d

how does it feel :q:

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

dull

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

how does it feel :q:

slightly gassy

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Xik posted:

slightly gassy

on-brand

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
javascript is punishment for our sins. networked hypercard is the web we didn't deserve.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006

shaggar and eschaton were both right and at the same time
the apocalypse is upon us

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Zlodo posted:

shaggar and eschaton were both right and at the same time
the apocalypse is upon us

gently caress, they actually immanentized the eschaton

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Soricidus posted:

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Soricidus posted:

lol

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Antigravitas posted:

Every time I have to compile qtwebkit, I cry.

That's all.

//edit:

Somehow, qtwebengine manages to be worse, though

why? genuine question, I have no idea.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
qtwebkit takes a very long time to compile. 15 minutes on an 8 core Ryzen on a ramdisk.

qtwebengine uses BOTH make (qt) and ninja (chromium). The project is so large that the insane C header crap makes it unbelievably slow. They added the "jumbo build" option that concatenates all the headers, but each build thread then takes >2GB of private memory. So with 16 threads you need at least 32GB RAM because ninja defaults to using all threads and ignores makeopts. At least an hour of compile time. And it keeps. growing.

Building chromium is just insane, utterly insane, in every way.

The only thing that's more insane to compile is freetype with harfbuzz support, where you have to compile freetype without harfbuzz support, then harfbuzz, then recompile freetype with harfbuzz support, because freetype is a build dependency of harfbuzz. :suicide:

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Antigravitas posted:

The only thing that's more insane to compile is freetype with harfbuzz support, where you have to compile freetype without harfbuzz support, then harfbuzz, then recompile freetype with harfbuzz support, because freetype is a build dependency of harfbuzz. :suicide:

lmao

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

What I'm trying to say is, all C++ programmers should be sectioned.

Also, hug your distro maintainers. They need one.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

Antigravitas posted:

They added the "jumbo build" option that concatenates all the headers, but each build thread then takes >2GB of private memory.

*scribbles furiously in notebook entitled "How To Compile Your Mom"*

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Antigravitas posted:

qtwebkit takes a very long time to compile. 15 minutes on an 8 core Ryzen on a ramdisk.

qtwebengine uses BOTH make (qt) and ninja (chromium). The project is so large that the insane C header crap makes it unbelievably slow. They added the "jumbo build" option that concatenates all the headers, but each build thread then takes >2GB of private memory. So with 16 threads you need at least 32GB RAM because ninja defaults to using all threads and ignores makeopts. At least an hour of compile time. And it keeps. growing.

Building chromium is just insane, utterly insane, in every way.

While that sucks, ninja doesn't ignore makeopts? You can run ninja -j# just fine? :confused:

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Ninja is being called by qtwebengine's qmake. I never really looked much deeper into the makefile because that way lies madness and I am not strong enough to do that right now. I just want a qtwebengine… :smith:

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Antigravitas posted:

lmbo

crystal Ghost
Sep 5, 2019
It's Free Real Estate

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Soricidus posted:

lol

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Soricidus posted:

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Tankakern posted:

kernel 5.5 out today too. to be honest, the 5.4 series was kinda poo poo because of this: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/intel/issues/673. put shortly, good luck in getting your laptop with an intel gpu, skylake or newer, working without freezing or locking up at least once a day on a 5.4 series kernel. they did a bunch of refactoring with the i915 codebase with the 5.5 release because of security issues, thus making a backport of the fix ... impossible? they haven't managed it yet as far as i know.

it turns out it wasn't before 5.5.7 (just released) that i915 got all patches needed for not freezing or locking up your dell xps' gpu daily. the latest kernel releases for i915 has been a clown show for laptop havers, way too much refactoring and missing backports

Tankakern fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Mar 2, 2020

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

you know, if drivers were out of tree and could rely on stable binary kernel interfaces, only kernel bugs affecting binary driver compatibility would cause problems like that

and the drivers themselves could be written to support a broad range of kernel versions

it’s almost as though insisting everything be in tree and avoiding stable binary interfaces for political reasons is actually harmful to users

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Open source has always been about politics over users. 2020 will be the year when users users finally realize that ethics in operating systems is more important than some peasant notion of “working,” and we’ll see a significant uptake in Linux on the desktop.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

eschaton posted:

you know, if drivers were out of tree and could rely on stable binary kernel interfaces, only kernel bugs affecting binary driver compatibility would cause problems like that

and the drivers themselves could be written to support a broad range of kernel versions

it’s almost as though insisting everything be in tree and avoiding stable binary interfaces for political reasons is actually harmful to users

idk, Apple's policy of forbidding third-party drivers entirely seems like a better idea

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

you can't trust those fuckers not to crash the kernel with their buggy poo poo

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Tankakern posted:

it turns out it wasn't before 5.5.7 (just released) that i915 got all patches needed for not freezing or locking up your dell xps' gpu daily. the latest kernel releases for i915 has been a clown show for laptop havers, way too much refactoring and missing backports

goddamn this thing was a pos. ive been running some 4.x LTS kernel for months.

now if only they could fix the bug that causes one of my laptop's wifi chips to randomly deauth for like a minute

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

eschaton posted:

Let me know when any modern OS has a stable kernel ABI.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

ratbert90 posted:

Let me know when any modern OS has a stable kernel ABI.

Apple has deprecated their kernel API. Deprecation is a form of stability.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

pseudorandom name posted:

Apple has deprecated their kernel API. Deprecation is a form of stability.

Fun fact: The Linux Kernel also (barring any extreme circumstances) has a huge notification period for ABI changes and depreciations. It seems like Nvidia and VMware are the only two major players that outright ignore 6months to a years worth of notices.

edit:

Also they have LTS kernels for actual rock solid ABIs.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Lol at the notion of a six month deprecation notice period being "huge".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

catched this from reddit

Linux/Wayland HW video acceleration lands in Nightly!

videoaccel in wayland with firefox, who'd have thought it would see the light of day this year already