Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Dapper_Swindler posted:

https://twitter.com/akarl_smith/status/1233845058450972672

dont worry thread another rich shithead will help us.

He's going to cause a panic because he's literally stupider than Donny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Crumbskull posted:

Anyone watching the WA DoH stream and wanna share what they're saying, seems like you need a Gacebook account to watch it...

https://www.kiro7.com/video/live-stream/

Local news is all over it.

Poached Eggs
Feb 29, 2020

Nonsense posted:

He's going to cause a panic because he's literally stupider than Donny.

But equal in every other way

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Herstory Begins Now posted:

it was the same thing with rich kids coming down with it: every one of those kids has half a dozen different extra-curriculars and poo poo that they do regularly and there's almost zero way someone in that population gets it without having contact with a a bunch of people

Korea is releasing detailed contact lists of anyone effected and there is like one 20 year old guy Korean internet is way into because he just flat out didn’t talk to anyone all week. A real sad guy.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?
Kind of shocked at the level of panic that's already happening around me. I've been doing work in my attic and I'm sick of breathing in fiberglass, so I took a run to Home Depot to buy some masks and welp

I was expecting to have to buy something better than I needed or not have many options. I wasn't expecting every single one to be gone, including the $100 reusable respirators. Same story at Lowe's and Walmart.

not scared of coronavirus but very scared of my attic now :smith:

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Paradoxish posted:

Kind of shocked at the level of panic that's already happening around me. I've been doing work in my attic and I'm sick of breathing in fiberglass, so I took a run to Home Depot to buy some masks and welp

I was expecting to have to buy something better than I needed or not have many options. I wasn't expecting every single one to be gone, including the $100 reusable respirators. Same story at Lowe's and Walmart.

Yeah having dealt with tons of fiberglass insulation that is a scary image

Crumbskull
Sep 13, 2005

The worker and the soil

Doi... thanks for the link I caught the end.

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
God this is going to gently caress the food service sector so badly. Larger chains can probably weather the storm, but lots of independent coffe shops, cool local breweries, etc. are probably gonna close, the margins on places like that aren't great at the best of times.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Kill Bristol posted:

God this is going to gently caress the food service sector so badly. Larger chains can probably weather the storm, but lots of independent coffe shops, cool local breweries, etc. are probably gonna close.

a poo poo load of people are using food delivery services and paying out the rear end for them. It also appears to take some time to set up contracts with the food delivery places, so they should already start figuring out how to do that if possible.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

I always wonder what it takes to clear store shelves. Any time it snows around here they always run news stories about THE PANIC going on and show cleared shelves of like, bread and milk. But in modern supply chains exactly how much does it take to clear a shelf? Like I feel like stores try to keep in stock exactly as much as they plan to sell in a unit of time and so like literally any uptick in buying will quickly clear a product out to zero. Like if you are a store and you are stocking like, 50% more of something than people really buy then you've messed up and overbought, so any 51% increase in sales would clear a shelf but not really be a huge panic buy situation.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Kill Bristol posted:

God this is going to gently caress the food service sector so badly. Larger chains can probably weather the storm, but lots of independent coffe shops, cool local breweries, etc. are probably gonna close, the margins on places like that aren't great at the best of times.
yeah it's destroyed a lot of small chains in china that can't cope with no income for a couple of months

enjoy your pandemic

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I always wonder what it takes to clear store shelves. Any time it snows around here they always run news stories about THE PANIC going on and show cleared shelves of like, bread and milk. But in modern supply chains exactly how much does it take to clear a shelf? Like I feel like stores try to keep in stock exactly as much as they plan to sell in a unit of time and so like literally any uptick in buying will quickly clear a product out to zero. Like if you are a store and you are stocking like, 50% more of something than people really buy then you've messed up and overbought, so any 51% increase in sales would clear a shelf but not really be a huge panic buy situation.

Here in Sacramento there was a run on masks at the end of 2018 during the Camp Fire in Paradise as the AQI was well into the hazardous range and everything looked like Beijing. Masks were sold out everywhere within two days. The fire departments started giving away masks but soon gave up.

Needless to say, masks and hand sanitizer are nigh unobtainable right now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Saw a dude at the Dollar Tree and he purchased 30 hand sanitizer containers, likely the entire stock.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Nonsense posted:

Saw a dude at the Dollar Tree and he purchased 30 hand sanitizer containers, likely the entire stock.

Probably gonna sell em on ebay for 5 bucks a pop

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
n95 masks have been out at all the home improvement stores for weeks. You had to start hoarding back in January to get those.

It's honestly an argument for price gouging. All these masks weren't bought by poor people. It was angry White men with Mad Max fantasies, suburban housewives who don't like vaccines but think paper and plastic masks are a lifesaver, and assholes looking to resell on eBay. But because prices were low they bought ALL of them. Maybe poor people couldn't have afforded masks at higher prices to reflect demand, but they're not getting them now either. If people are going to panic and clear the shelves at least make it expensive for them to be reactionary assholes.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

A lot of it is automated. When stock gets below a certain point an order goes out to restock from the warehouse or distribution center. But they plan for expected demand plus a little more, so a panic clears out supply. Usually those kinds of panics are regional (weather or natural disaster related). When that happens they move inventory from one region to another. This is nationwide so it cleaned everyone out and it's not going to get better. The moment a store gets more stock people will just panic buy inventory down to zero again.

I imagine the government is putting in very large orders and they'll get first priority, so at least masks will get to where they're actually needed. But if you're laying down insulation in your attic you're boned.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It seems to be a meaningful amount given that only a handful of breathing masks are available on Home Depot's website and none at all online for Lowe's. If warehouses are clearing out then it's more than a tiny increase.

Luckyellow
Sep 25, 2007

Pillbug
They're not going to restock up on the masks since the vast majority are made in factories in China. Just in time supply chain turns out to be a huge weakness when your entire source get shut down.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

if you're looking for hand sanitizer check out Office Depot and Staples

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Chinese friends of mine tell me that people give them more space on the train now. So, yay I guess? Also there are photos circulating where people bought all the canned goods except the 'chinese' soup. People are crazy.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/jenniferatntd/status/1233793672497573894?s=20

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Luckyellow posted:

They're not going to restock up on the masks since the vast majority are made in factories in China. Just in time supply chain turns out to be a huge weakness when your entire source get shut down.

Only about half our masks come from China. We get a big chunk from Mexico so sure, let's close threaten to close that border now. No problems there whatsoever.

China is now a net importer of surgical and n95 masks since their own demand exceeds their production capacity.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

n95 masks have been out at all the home improvement stores for weeks. You had to start hoarding back in January to get those.

It's honestly an argument for price gouging. All these masks weren't bought by poor people. It was angry White men with Mad Max fantasies, suburban housewives who don't like vaccines but think paper and plastic masks are a lifesaver, and assholes looking to resell on eBay. But because prices were low they bought ALL of them. Maybe poor people couldn't have afforded masks at higher prices to reflect demand, but they're not getting them now either. If people are going to panic and clear the shelves at least make it expensive for them to be reactionary assholes.

A lot of it is automated. When stock gets below a certain point an order goes out to restock from the warehouse or distribution center. But they plan for expected demand plus a little more, so a panic clears out supply. Usually those kinds of panics are regional (weather or natural disaster related). When that happens they move inventory from one region to another. This is nationwide so it cleaned everyone out and it's not going to get better. The moment a store gets more stock people will just panic buy inventory down to zero again.

I imagine the government is putting in very large orders and they'll get first priority, so at least masks will get to where they're actually needed. But if you're laying down insulation in your attic you're boned.

this is profoundly stupid, the solution is to not let people buy the entire inventory, not price gouging, jfc

just put up a sign that says '2 per customer max'

Yoshi Wins
Jul 14, 2013

My team at my company is supposed to have an offsite get together a month from now (most of us work from home) in a major city, and I think it's a dumb idea, but I know I'll never persuade management to cancel it, because if they don't spend their budget every year, they will get less money next year.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Paradoxish posted:

It seems to be a meaningful amount given that only a handful of breathing masks are available on Home Depot's website and none at all online for Lowe's. If warehouses are clearing out then it's more than a tiny increase.

Like, I wonder how much extra buying it actually takes to clear anything out. The way delivery and supply chains work I can't imagine most stores keep like piles and piles of like 30x the amount of product than they would expect to sell. I imagine that they have a little slack for variation but I think everyone keeps the goal of keeping excess stock as low as possible. I bet even like a 50% increase in demand for most things would quickly exhaust any excess a store holds. Like I wouldn't think it'd need to be some panicked 400x increase in buying or anything. Like I don't know about something nonperishable like masks, but I know with shots of empty milk shelves it's always because stores keep exactly the amount of milk they expect to sell in stock and try as hard as possible to never hold even one drop more. So even a few extra people will end up in zero milk left.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Krispy Wafer posted:

Only about half our masks come from China. We get a big chunk from Mexico so sure, let's close threaten to close that border now. No problems there whatsoever.

China is now a net importer of surgical and n95 masks since their own demand exceeds their production capacity.

I would be exceptionally surprised if mexico isn't sourcing half of the components from china

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

this is profoundly stupid, the solution is to not let people buy the entire inventory, not price gouging, jfc

just put up a sign that says '2 per customer max'

Sure.

"Hey honey, you buy 2, then let Sally and Noah buy 2 each. Then we go to the Lowes across the street."

There's no good answer to this. Someone's always going to get screwed with these kinds of shortages. However if you let the price move, you encourage more production. You also at least make clearing the shelves more expensive for the assholes who would otherwise buy everything in the first 5 minutes.

I would be exceptionally surprised if mexico isn't sourcing half of the components from china

Maybe. It's paper, plastic, and string. If you want to get fancy there's an one-way regulator on the front. I have no clue how much of those components are outsourced.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Krispy Wafer posted:

However if you let the price move, you encourage more production.

I mean, I don't think the laws of economics work if the reason something isn't getting manufactured is because people at the factory have lungs filled with juice.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

I thought the main point of N95 masks was for someone with an active infection to wear them to prevent passing it on, and that they basically do nothing in terms of protecting anyone not already infected?

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Anyone who does construction for a living is basically hosed because they won’t be able to find masks.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I mean, I don't think the laws of economics work if the reason something isn't getting manufactured is because people at the factory have lungs filled with juice.

We're talking about surgical masks as well as n95 protective gear. n95 stuff does take a lot more effort to produce, but surgical masks don't. Large manufacturers are already shifting production to try and make up shortfalls on medical masks that poo poo like dentists and lab technicians need because of course everyone bought those up too even though they do very little to protect against coronavirus.

Saying people can charge more in times of crisis sounds like a dick move and in many ways it is. But dentists and hospitals would absolutely pay 5x more for surgical masks they need to perform their jobs. Instead those masks are in people's garages. 3 years from now someone will stumble across them and go, "haha remember when we bought all of these for $20 and never needed them?" Meanwhile in 2020 hospitals are trying to scrounge for supplies so they can do medical procedures.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Regular cloth masks worn by a sick person stop them from infecting others with their coughs and sneezes. N95 respirators, when worn by healthy people, will filter out droplets from said coughs and sneezes and also prevent you from touching your face. The virus itself is small enough to pass through the N95 filter, I believe, but you rarely are inhaling the virus by itself.

They also require proper fit to be effective and they don't last as long as people think before they need to be replaced. So marginal protection.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

jesus christ just implement some sort of rationing system guys this isn't hard

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Daily mask rations

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Daily mask rations

They've literally been doing this in China I believe.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i will always remember that in the first two months of the coronavirus, until it started killing white people, a solid 50% of media reports were just handwringing on how it was going to affect the stock market

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013
What are some good, little to no bs resources about coronavirus, its spread, and what normal people should be doing? I've got friends in King County who are concerned about the spread of the virus but are concerned about most of the news either fearmongering or trying to cover things up.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Dogwood Fleet posted:

What are some good, little to no bs resources about coronavirus, its spread, and what normal people should be doing? I've got friends in King County who are concerned about the spread of the virus but are concerned about most of the news either fearmongering or trying to cover things up.

If you’re willing to pay, UpToDate will have the most recent medical information.

hallelujah
Jan 26, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
https://twitter.com/black_autonomy/status/1233854136606773255

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dogwood Fleet posted:

there's a goodpost on the first page of the thread from a goon medical professional

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
What?