Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Snagged an Octomore 10.1 (just finished off a 7.3 and I have an 8.2 waiting for me) :homebrew: Kicking myself so bad for not taking a tour when I was at Bruichladdich in the fall. I gotta go back....

I got a bottle of something not super peaty for a change yesterday: Auchentoshan 12 and blech, I don't think I like it. It tastes like watery milk or something, weird and bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I'm not too fond of auchentoshan either. I bought a liter bottle of Heartwood as part of a deal with some other whisky I did actually want and it's been 8 years and I still haven't finished that bottle. It's just... Bad.

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
Barring a few exceptional Independent Bottlings of Auchentoshan, that’s been my experience too. Oh the Triplewood(?) was ok, do they still make that?

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
Currently struggling with the influence of the previous whisky on the taste of the current one. I had some Glenfarclas 12 and after that my first ever dram of the thread favorite Laphroaig QC. And drat it was vile. However yesterday I had some Ardbeg 10 and then the QC and it was pretty okay. Well except my wife complained about the smell and I had to leave the room :v:

Gonna try the QC as the first dram today and see how that goes.

All in all I am pretty drat happy with my progress so far :D

Edit: currently drinking that dram of QC. With a fresh start and also after a sip of Glenfarclas 12 the QC tastes much better than before! The weird tastes are still there but nothing offends me anymore. I think I even like this biohazard wastewater now. Learning is fun!

Neco fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Feb 16, 2020

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Hey, Im thinking of getting a decanter or two for my whiskey, one for more long term storage (gonna make an infinity bottle), and one for my OK everyday/entertaining whiskey that i buy by the handle. Is there anything i should avoid in one or something specifically to look for in a decanter? Do i want a stopper with all glass or one with plastic on it? Thanks in advance

Also i got some of that Heaven Hill 7 year BiB and it is fantastically leathery.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

SpookyLizard posted:

Hey, Im thinking of getting a decanter or two for my whiskey, one for more long term storage (gonna make an infinity bottle), and one for my OK everyday/entertaining whiskey that i buy by the handle. Is there anything i should avoid in one or something specifically to look for in a decanter? Do i want a stopper with all glass or one with plastic on it? Thanks in advance

Also i got some of that Heaven Hill 7 year BiB and it is fantastically leathery.

Lead crystal is the best look and feel but it also literally has lead in it and within hours the lead content of your drink will exceed EPA limits.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Have any US Goons found a decent place to buy whiskey online?

Roll Fizzlebeef
Sep 9, 2003

No Butt Stuff posted:

I want to know this too. K&L used to ship to my state but they won't anymore. :mad:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Stultus Maximus posted:

Lead crystal is the best look and feel but it also literally has lead in it and within hours the lead content of your drink will exceed EPA limits.

Yeah i was gonna take a hard pass on lead crystal since i dont want heavy metal toxicity. What about stoppers? I dont know if plastic is good or bad for it, or if itll degrade or affect the whiskey.

Total Wine can ship from some locations, and should have coverage near every store with same day delivery via door dash. A lot of states have fucky laws with shipping alcohol too, even in state (never mind across state lines) can be a big headache. Ive never really tried to deal with it though tbh.

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

I won a raffle for Weller 12, EH Taylor Single Barrel, and an Elijah Craig B519. I'm not sure what to do with my hands.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

No Butt Stuff posted:

Do you mean for buying US whisky specifically?

Finedrams.com is a great site if you are looking for some scotch, a lot of their prices are significantly lower than buying the same bottle in the US, but shipping is expensive so you’d want to buy a few at a time. Not a great option if you are looking for bourbon though.

Some examples:

Glenfarclas 105 liter: $45 (it’s like $90 for a 750ml here)
Glendronach 21 is a lot cheaper
A lot of IBs available too.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Wow thank you!

Just did a direct comparison of three bottles of scotch between Finedrams and Total Wine, and even with huge shipping costs its still only 2/3 of the price I would pay driving over to Total Wine.

It says 70 cl, but from what I'm reading elsewhere it's actually the same size bottles as in the U.S. (75 cl or 750 ml), is that correct?

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

DoctaFun posted:

Do you mean for buying US whisky specifically?

Finedrams.com is a great site if you are looking for some scotch, a lot of their prices are significantly lower than buying the same bottle in the US, but shipping is expensive so you’d want to buy a few at a time. Not a great option if you are looking for bourbon though.

Some examples:

Glenfarclas 105 liter: $45 (it’s like $90 for a 750ml here)
Glendronach 21 is a lot cheaper
A lot of IBs available too.

I generally look for bourbon, but I'd like to drink more Scotch in my life too.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

Enigma posted:

It says 70 cl, but from what I'm reading elsewhere it's actually the same size bottles as in the U.S. (75 cl or 750 ml), is that correct?

No; UK market bottles are actually 70cL, or 700mL.

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

I bought this decanter last year and it's perfect for my infinity bottle.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0150XLW76

My stopper is a little loose like some of the reviews mention but I put a rubber band around it and it fits perfectly now.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Jo3sh posted:

No; UK market bottles are actually 70cL, or 700mL.

Ah, ok thank you. Still a massive savings.

Gravitee
Nov 20, 2003

I just put money in the Magic Fingers!

No Butt Stuff posted:

I'm not sure what to do with my hands.

Put whiskey in them and drink.
Congrats!

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Any recommendations for whiskey tourism in Tokyo? We will be staying in Shinjuku for a few days this coming week. We are planning to visit Zoetrope so far, but I'm also interested in picking up export-only whiskeys from the US and Scotland (e.g. Blanton's Straight From The Barrel) while I'm here, and maybe some Japanese stuff if I somehow stumble upon something reasonably priced and/or compelling.

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010
I had posted a while back because I, unfortunately, need to care for my parents and need to part with some bottles. If you might be interested in purchasing some, please see my listing here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3915064

No Butt Stuff
Jun 10, 2004

Grabbed a bottle of OWA today, luckily.

Collection is growing and at some point I'll have enough stuff I paid MSRP for to trade for the stuff I can never find.

Apache
May 11, 2004

Vox Nihili posted:

Any recommendations for whiskey tourism in Tokyo? We will be staying in Shinjuku for a few days this coming week. We are planning to visit Zoetrope so far, but I'm also interested in picking up export-only whiskeys from the US and Scotland (e.g. Blanton's Straight From The Barrel) while I'm here, and maybe some Japanese stuff if I somehow stumble upon something reasonably priced and/or compelling.

I've got the same question, but for Berlin and Munich. We're going in June and going to be splitting our time between the two cities pretty evenly.

Also, my whiskey collection is pretty good at this point, are there any other spirits worth branching out into that are in a similar vein, good sippers that don't require being in a cocktail for consumption? I was thinking of adding some Armenian brandy or cognac to my liquor cabinet collection. Most of the other types of stuff I've only got one bottle of such for the purposes of cocktails. For lack of a better way to list it, here is a link to what I've got now, minus the Amaro and vodka I've gotten recently. https://flaviar.com/homebar/18263c31a545ad Any suggestions?

Apache fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Feb 29, 2020

biggfoo
Sep 12, 2005

My god, it's full of :jeb:!
You can find some great taste/value in aged Rums. Hasn't had that bad of a collector bubble yet. I like Armagnac a lot as well. Some great vintages with more flavor depth at like 1/3rd of the price of similar cognacs.

java
May 7, 2005

Someone told me that Ancient Age is just Blantons that’s only been aged 3 - 4 years. I wasn’t sure if this was true or not, but I’m trying some now, and I gotta day, it’s not bad for the price and age.

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I splurged on a bottle of Ledaig 18 to top off my rewards points for gold level at ABC*. It is very tasty, instantly one of my favorites, but I probably wouldn't buy it again at its current stupid high price. I like the less expensive Laphroaig Lore a little better and probably wouldn't buy that either when quarter cask and uigeadail are so delicious for way fewer dollars.

* only to find out that living with someone else who also has an account with ABC breaks the rewards system despite the CTO saying it should be working but he can't be bothered to fix it I guess :shrug:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

java posted:

Someone told me that Ancient Age is just Blantons that’s only been aged 3 - 4 years. I wasn’t sure if this was true or not, but I’m trying some now, and I gotta day, it’s not bad for the price and age.

It's the same mashbill as Blanton's, but Buffalo Trace and Stagg are also the same mashbill, for example, so that really only gets you so far. There are lot of other factors at play. Almost everything Buffalo Trace puts out is very solid, though.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Vox Nihili posted:

It's the same mashbill as Blanton's, but Buffalo Trace and Stagg are also the same mashbill, for example, so that really only gets you so far. There are lot of other factors at play. Almost everything Buffalo Trace puts out is very solid, though.

I don’t think stagg or BT are the same mash bill.

Mash bill #2 is ancient age, Elmer t lee, Hancock presidential reserve, Rock hill farms, and the different variety of Blanton’s.

BT and stagg are all mash bill 1.

But the mash bill 2 is just a slightly higher rye content. Mash bill 2 gets a lot of hype, but my last taste of stagg jr was better than any Mashbill 2 I’ve had except for maybe blantons straight from the barrel.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

I don’t think stagg or BT are the same mash bill.

Mash bill #2 is ancient age, Elmer t lee, Hancock presidential reserve, Rock hill farms, and the different variety of Blanton’s.

BT and stagg are all mash bill 1.

But the mash bill 2 is just a slightly higher rye content. Mash bill 2 gets a lot of hype, but my last taste of stagg jr was better than any Mashbill 2 I’ve had except for maybe blantons straight from the barrel.

Yeah I was using Stagg and BT as examples for how being drawn from the same mashbill only means so much, not saying they also shared the AA/Blanton's high rye mashbill.

On top of what you said, EH Taylor is also drawn from mashbill 1.

Come to think of it, they really should include a high-rye mashbill option in BTAC.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Mar 6, 2020

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!
That's basically what the new Blanton's gold release is going to be - in rarity if not name

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Wow. Picked up a bottle of Green Spot last night, and I think I'm in love. Smooth, slightly tart apple flavor, great sipping whiskey.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
At a whiskey bar, trying things normally unavailable to me. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is really quite quite good. They have a goddamned booklet of a whiskey menu.

This may be the thing that finally ends me.

Please send thoughts and prayers

E: the Macallan 25 gets a solid A+ from me.

Nice piece of fish fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Mar 7, 2020

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Nice piece of fish posted:

At a whiskey bar, trying things normally unavailable to me. Wild Turkey Rare Breed is really quite quite good. They have a goddamned booklet of a whiskey menu.

This may be the thing that finally ends me.

Please send thoughts and prayers

I just picked up two older bottles of Rare Breed in Japan. Got one with the LL/GG laser coding (one of the 2018 bottles) and one from around 2015. Also grabbed a Wild Turkey 8 (also from 2018), Blanton's Straight from the Barrel, a Nikka from the Barrel, and a Talisker 18 (priced at ~$100 with the option to buy duty free at the store, which is $80 off US pricing before tax). Managed to bring it all home without paying duty on anything. Probably should have grabbed a bottle of Miyagikyo Single Malt while we were there (~$25 versus ~$80 in the US) but I didn't want to push my luck.

Speaking of which, might as well post some pics. These two are from the Tokyo Whiskey Library:

We were only there briefly, but this place had a huge selection of Scotch and I believe everything was 20% off during happy hour (including pours of various rare bottles). We were in a big group setting so I didn't take tasting notes or anything, but both of these were tasty. "The chimney in a Beehive" pretty much wrecked my palate with huge waves of peat, but I liked it.

We also visited a fun little whiskey bar called Shot Bar Zoetrope:

This place was incredible. The proprietor is a huge cinema buff and the decor really shows it. The walls are even signed by a handful of film directors and other big names (that I largely didn't recognize). He is also highly knowledgeable about all of the bottles he pours. I finally got to try my fill of Ichiro's (Chichibu distillery) releases, which are almost impossible to find in the United States. They had two special Ichiro's barrel picks (8th and 10th Zoetrope anniversary bottles) in addition to an absolute ton of annual releases and barrel picks, many at cask strength. I killed their last pour of their last bottle of Ichiro's peated whiskey. Also tried a variety of what are usually distillery-only releases from Nikka, including all three of their Yoichi and Miyagikyo special bottles.

Our overall winner for the night, surprisingly, was Miyagikyo Malty & Soft, which just had beautiful cereal and fruit notes that most of the younger stuff we had been tasting could not approach. Even at 55% abv it was velvety. The Yoichi distillery exclusives were also exceptional. The Ichiro's stuff was a ton of fun but most of it was a bit rough around the edges since it was all still relatively young. My favorite Ichiro's bottle was their 10th anniversary pick.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Mar 7, 2020

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Lovin' the Buckaroo Banzai reference.

Testro
May 2, 2009
A 25 year old Miltonduff - delightful!

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Nothing so flashy as what's just been posted, but I just opened a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel, and it is really, really good. $42 at my local Costco well spent.

java
May 7, 2005

Meaty Ore posted:

Nothing so flashy as what's just been posted, but I just opened a bottle of New Riff Single Barrel, and it is really, really good. $42 at my local Costco well spent.

I found it to be very solid for the price point. 4RSB is still my go to, but New Riff SB is a very solid #2.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Got a bottle of Kentucky Spirit for $40. Rare breed is much better imo, the oak takes too much of that cinnamon funky bomb away.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I love trying new things but there is a line I won't cross, this is over that line.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Peanuts are a grain :colbert:

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I've had pb whiskey in a cocktail. It was fine or good there, the bartender poured us a bit straight and it was tastyish but not something I would ever drink on its own. Theirs was homemade/infused if it matters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Nice piece of fish posted:

About 10 years ago there was a Macallan promo tour. I signed up for the San Francisco event, which turned out to be a free Macallan tasting. Over the course of two hours, their VP or Marketing or PR or Something gave a presentation on their history, whiskey making in general, and where they get barrels and why. During the course of the show they served out 6 half-sized shots of their various expressions.

The 25 is really, hard-to-explain level, good booze. Around $2000 is shockingly expensive for something you drink, but it's actually worth it.