Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

Turkey just abruptly allowed all their Syrian refugees start heading to europe again. I wonder why.

EU forgot to send him a cheque.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

So I was listening to Dr John update on coronavirus and he said that in most countries there seems to be about a 3 week gap between the first cases being reported and the first deaths.
So, in the US, Washington state reported it's first cases last night and then their first death was reported a few hours later.
That does not seem good in regards to how far this may have spread there as you could well have a 3 week period of infected people spreading the disease unknowingly.

https://youtu.be/5rOTz9duXwo?t=329

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It’s funny people feel required to buy survivalist food. Like the power and water won’t go out, you can buy like, packaged or frozen food. Like rice and beans are good to eat, and maybe buy that if you cook with them anyway, but you can just buy normal regular food for an emergency. Buying blander or harsher food than you normally eat doesn’t make it more serious.

This sounds like a 3 olives post

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Guns though, stars hoarding guns.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

pixelizedpope posted:

Can confirm this. Day one of nursing school for me was having us wash our hands how we thought we should, and then shining a UV light on us to see all the spots we missed. It was quite a lesson.

Do yourself a favor and learn the right way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IisgnbMfKvI

I can't emphasize this enough

My wife got "henna tattoos" before our wedding, it's like a temporary tattoo that you paint on and it stains your skin and lasts for about a week.

Well, it does wash off. It was very interesting to see the "clean" parts of her hands, and then the rest of her hands still had henna tattoos

MorrisBae
Jan 18, 2020

by Athanatos

Helith posted:

So I was listening to Dr John update on coronavirus and he said that in most countries there seems to be about a 3 week gap between the first cases being reported and the first deaths.
So, in the US, Washington state reported it's first cases last night and then their first death was reported a few hours later.
That does not seem good in regards to how far this may have spread there as you could well have a 3 week period of infected people spreading the disease unknowingly.

11 days after this rear end in a top hat probably brought it into Seattle

https://twitter.com/theMHcomedian/status/1229610312367853568

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
There’s no way to prevent being infected. Odds are you’re infected already. You probably won’t die.

That said, I think putting people in quarantine or self imposed isolation will merely time delay the severity of the outbreak. We should really just get it over with because the system isn’t prepared to deal with it in any capacity anyway. People are scared about being infected as if there’s even a way they can prevent themselves from getting sick in the first place. Given what we know about the spread, it’s literally impossible to avoid infection. People should be preparing for what they’re going to do when they get sick, not if. Masks are useless in this scenario.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

poverty goat posted:

Turkey just abruptly allowed all their Syrian refugees start heading to europe again. I wonder why.

I can assure you it's not because of the Corona virus. I suggest checking the middle east thread if you want to know why Turkey doesn't want millions more refugees flooding into their country on top of the 3-4 million they already have.

WaffleZombie
May 10, 2003

"Identity Crisis" Murderer Wild Guess #333:Prince "Lady Killer Charming "Well, I AM the Adversa"

My dad was supposed to leave two weeks ago for a business trip to Vietnam and Cambodia. At the time, not the worst spots, but I was still trying to discourage him from going because while in Cambodia, he would be spending time in a factory full of Chinese workers returning from their trips back home for the new year. Thankfully, the customer that he was going on the trip with had their company cancel all travel to the region. At the time he was making blustery remarks about how both he and the customer thought it was nothing, and they were both ready to go. I spoke to him today, and he mentioned looking for N95 masks and not finding any. Nice 180, boomer.

We moved back in August, so we didn't have much of a pantry built up. Since about mid-January, with every weekly grocery trip, I've been adding some extra stuff to the cart to stock up. Some dried beans here, some extra peanut butter there, some extra pasta, etc. Generally whatever was on sale. Two days ago, I finally went in a little more and got some less normal stuff like extra toilet paper and a small box of instant milk. It's the first thing my wife saw and asked "Really?". But mostly, that's just to keep the toddler from whining about a lack of milk if we need to stay home for a while. Of course, I got laid off at the end of the year, and the wife has been staying at home, and with an infant and a toddler, we don't have much of a social life. So we've got a leg up on the social isolation game, I guess? Hooray?

The food store I was in on Thursday seemed fully stocked, but I also went to Home Depot. I was there mostly to buy seed starting stuff - not coronavirus related, just happy to finally have a yard where I can grow a bunch of stupid poo poo. But I noticed they had a large stock of TP, so check there if you're worried.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shaocaholica posted:

Psure this is spreading like crazy in India and Africa and we just don’t know about it because they 1)can’t test for it 2)don’t give a poo poo

Bathing in the Ganges supercharges your immune system, duh.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Hey just checking in with Indonesia, #4 country by population but #1 country by blessings from god! Indonesians outside Indonesia have tested positive, and they’ve had at least two deaths in patients with corona-like symptoms, but inshallah, all corona tests in Indonesia are negative! They must have learned how to pray properly after the tsunami.

One patient was a 37 year old Indonesian who died of “bronchopneumonia” in Semarang, the other a 61-year old Singaporean man in Batam who died of “another illness” but definitely not covid because he tested negative.

So yeah, America might be hosed but at least it’s not the caricature of a poo poo show that is Indonesia.

RichardA
Sep 1, 2006
Dinosaur Gum

Shaocaholica posted:

Psure this is spreading like crazy in India and Africa and we just don’t know about it because they 1)can’t test for it 2)don’t give a poo poo

You should add the US to that.

Does anyone with expertise know if this thread https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1233970271318503426 makes sense?

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Helith posted:

This is totally speculative and stupid

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor
If this is accurate better buckle up, because LBJ's favorite toy that wasn't in his pants is about to get whipped out.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I was at whole foods for a normal shopping trip tonight, and all of the bulk beans bins were completely empty. You can tell that this is the result of panicky peppers rather than people who just eat beans normally because the bagged varieties were all fully stocked a few aisles down and only cost $0.30/lb more, so I just bought some of those (I wanted some red lentils)

Plenty of bulk everything else, canned stuff, etc. Just a shortage on all of the bulk beans

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

hobbez posted:

This is totally speculative and stupid

The US has tested very few people and the tests they did do were inaccurate versions of the tests that the rest of the world has been using that have now been withdrawn and the US totally hosed up quarantine for people returning from infected cruise ships and countries.

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

QuarkJets posted:

I was at whole foods for a normal shopping trip tonight, and all of the bulk beans bins were completely empty. You can tell that this is the result of panicky peppers rather than people who just eat beans normally because the bagged varieties were all fully stocked a few aisles down and only cost $0.30/lb more, so I just bought some of those (I wanted some red lentils)

Plenty of bulk everything else, canned stuff, etc. Just a shortage on all of the bulk beans

you dont want to be the only shelter-in-place house not spreading virus-laden aerosol plumes, now do you?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Since coronavirus can spread through farts maybe this is one of those things that alters your brain chemistry to increase infectious behavior. If you have a sudden urge to buy beans in bulk that's just a sign that the infection has reached your brain

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

i was pretty sick a few weeks ago and ever since i've been letting off some real beefy farts

its me, im the covid man

bomb
Nov 3, 2005

Our local Costco is out of toilet paper but that’s it.

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

RichardA posted:

Does anyone with expertise know if this thread https://twitter.com/trvrb/status/1233970271318503426 makes sense?

Trevor Bedford is legit. Follow him, Ian Mackay, and Helen Branswell for your non-crazy coronavirus information starter pack.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION
Americans sure do love this prepping BS huh

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

I hung out with friends for a welcome home party for another friend that just moved back and we went to costco to get a few things for it that we spaced on getting ahead of time. I've never seen it so packed- not even around thanksgiving, Christmas, or black friday. The 1 fatality in Washington must've been the blood in the water needed to set off the shark feeding frenzy that is folks out there panic buying. I can't pretend I'm above that because I picked up a few things earlier in the week, but it's still kinda surreal to see it happen in person. Work stoppage/closure or regional quarantine from this or not- it's all stuff I'll eat up anyways.

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

An unreal percentage of our culture and economy is fear based.

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Jabor posted:

Nah.

Face masks provide no real protection for the person wearing them if they're worn improperly, reused, or you're not also wearing something to protect your eyes.

They're likely to increase your risk of contracting something if wearing one makes you hang around sick people more because you think you're protected. Or if wearing it makes you touch your face more because you're constantly adjusting your mask.

The main reason to wear one is if you might be sick and you want to avoid spreading it to others.

Sorry about your missing eyelids friend.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Got a stock of supplies today. I had to go to 5 stores to get toilet paper. I was super lucky at one store where they had 5 bottles of hand sanitizer left. There was probably twice the amount of security at the stores than usual.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
american stores have security personnel?

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

I imagine a lot of old greeters at Walmart’s and Costco’s are gonna get it..

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mithaldu posted:

Yes, but they're called corporate-speak things like "loss prevention". They won't ever actually do anything to stop you from stealing they're just there to call the cops (the ones who step over that boundary get fired, cause corporations don't like getting sued)

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Mithaldu posted:

most places just has a loss prevention dude who will stop you from walking out with a cart if you haven't paid for it, but won't like, apprehend you.

some stores do have legit cops though. a big name store near where i live has a cop directing traffic from like 10-6, but they're legit cops, and also bored from standing around all day. i've seen them tackle shoplifters. the same store also has private security that drives around but i haven't seen them do much of anything.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

Most places have loss prevention which is the only person working the place in plain clothes, or some rent-a-cop security guard in a uniform strolling around.

If it's a big name box store in a sketchy part of town they might even have a cop standing at the entrance staring down and sizing up everyone as they walk in since having one posted right there sometimes changes the course of anyone that's actually there to steal as everyone knows loss prevention won't do poo poo except follow them around the store and call the cops and they'll be long gone by the time the cops decide to show up.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

lol that one of the first supplies to run out is toilet paper. Get a bidet you heathens.

Snail Information
May 29, 2010

Snailmancy

COMPAGNIE TOMMY posted:

There’s no way to prevent being infected. Odds are you’re infected already. You probably won’t die.

That said, I think putting people in quarantine or self imposed isolation will merely time delay the severity of the outbreak. We should really just get it over with because the system isn’t prepared to deal with it in any capacity anyway. People are scared about being infected as if there’s even a way they can prevent themselves from getting sick in the first place. Given what we know about the spread, it’s literally impossible to avoid infection. People should be preparing for what they’re going to do when they get sick, not if. Masks are useless in this scenario.

The whole point is that regular flu season is jamming up healthcare systems, if the worst of covid19 can be delayed a month or two then it will give breathing space to hospitals and medical systems.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Helith posted:

That's Iran, first confirmed and first death on the same day.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

RichardA posted:

Yes it does. Probably shows the true mortality rate is well below the headline figures as most people thought they had a normal winter illness and so haven't presented to hospital.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
They were all sold out of regular canned ravioli and only had gross mini ravioli left. We also couldn't buy distilled water for the wife's CPAP.

At Sunnyvale (Santa Clara County) Trader Joe's the only thing that was mostly out was whole milk.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this. I've always had breathing problems and I've always been afraid of getting pneumonia and drowning from the inside. No matter how many times I've brought it up with my doctor, he won't give me the vaccine because I'm too young.

I know the vaccine wouldn't help with this, but I still want it. I want every vaccine there is.

Relayer
Sep 18, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Look if anyone is gonna kill Iranians it's gonna be Iran. Like, pff, like, pff, what, pff, what are you even doing

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

stephenthinkpad posted:

Ok.
But it’s also Washington state too.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

golden bubble posted:

The good thing is that all information from every country suggest that the majority of cases for this coronavirus (SARS-2) result in mild symptoms equal to a somewhat bad case of the common cold. So most people who get it will be fine. But health officials are extremely worried because SARS-2 is both appears to be more infectious than typical flu viruses and has a higher chance of resulting in pneumonia* compared to the flu. Combining those two factors means SARS-2 can jam up every single hospital bed in your state with new cases of pneumonia and then some. It's infectious enough to potentially infect 20% of the population in a year, and those numbers mean that even a 20% pneumonia rate is enough to fill out every hospital in the area. At that point, it will get real bad for new patients that come down with pneumonia or need to go to the hospital for other reason. Because all the spare beds are already packed with SARS-2 pneumonia cases.

*This is largely how SARS-2 kills people. It gives some of them a bad case of pneumonia.

The New York Times had an article where a public health dude said that even a moderately severe flu season means that the icu's get all filled up so thats what the world-class private healthcare that would be destroyed by socialized medicine gets us I guess.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

Now that I have my things you can gently caress off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Beachcomber posted:

They were all sold out of regular canned ravioli and only had gross mini ravioli left. We also couldn't buy distilled water for the wife's CPAP.

At Sunnyvale (Santa Clara County) Trader Joe's the only thing that was mostly out was whole milk.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to get this. I've always had breathing problems and I've always been afraid of getting pneumonia and drowning from the inside. No matter how many times I've brought it up with my doctor, he won't give me the vaccine because I'm too young.

I know the vaccine wouldn't help with this, but I still want it. I want every vaccine there is.

Say that you smoke?

quote:

CDC recommends PPSV23 for all adults 65 years or older, people 2 through 64 years old with certain medical conditions, and adults 19 through 64 years old who smoke cigarettes.