Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Human Tornada posted:

Do you like R-rated Batman & Robin (1997) mixed with bad 90's Sci-Fi Channel original series? Because that's what the show felt like to me, corny and graceless, but I seem to be in the minority on this one so give it a shot I guess.
I agree except I do sort of like it. I don't know if I'd argue it's great or good or something but 1997 Batman & Robin is insane and special and stuff with that kind of energy sometimes hits the spot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The Matrix is on Netflix. We had the internet 100% figured out in 1999.

Human Tornada posted:

Do you like R-rated Batman & Robin (1997) mixed with bad 90's Sci-Fi Channel original series? Because that's what the show felt like to me, corny and graceless, but I seem to be in the minority on this one so give it a shot I guess.

I remembered liking it, although not expecting much since it was an original series, and thinking the first season was like Total Recall plus Blade Runner plus The Fifth Element. After watching the recap it turns out that's all I remember, and I need to rewatch season one if the second season is going to make any sense.

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 28, 2020

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Franchescanado posted:

You can literally go by any name you want. My grandpa’s name was Elvin, only ever went by Billy his whole life. No other part of his name is related to Billy, he just preferred it. No one asks for legal proof of your name except for forms.

Also Kevin Smith’s daughter loves her name, so who gives a gently caress

My uncle's name isn't actually "Norm Torby Corlbort the Fourth" but it's something equally bad if not worse, for the same reasons.

He goes by Todd.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

I agree except I do sort of like it. I don't know if I'd argue it's great or good or something but 1997 Batman & Robin is insane and special and stuff with that kind of energy sometimes hits the spot.

I actually like Batman & Robin and would take it any day over Altered Carbon because at least it knows it's a cartoon. Altered Carbon seems to think it's dark and grown-up and "about ideas" but it's mostly just guys in goofy costumes repeating chichéd dialog and clobbering each other.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Human Tornada posted:

this is a fairly accurate assessment but that's part of why I liked season 1. I remember thinking the set design and cinematography were better than most things on netflix as well.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Personally, Altered Carbon is exactly the kind of sci-fi nonsense I enjoy sometimes. Season 1 had some great moments, but yeah, I'm not going to shout from the rooftops to get people to watch it.

edit: I'm on S2E3 and kind of really enjoying it, probably because I like Poe and I got major Equilibrium vibes from a certain scene.

Glottis fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Feb 29, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Franchescanado posted:

You can literally go by any name you want. My grandpa’s name was Elvin, only ever went by Billy his whole life. No other part of his name is related to Billy, he just preferred it. No one asks for legal proof of your name except for forms.

My grandfather's name was Weston, which was apparently an unusual name at a time when the only legal names for men were Bill, Bob, John, Joe, and George. "Weston" was too confusing so people just started calling him Bill. Including my grandma, lol

Oh yeah, movies. So Atlantics is supposed to be good?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
Atlantics is good, yeah. I think it could've done more interesting stuff with its premise (it sort of goes out of its way not to say as much interesting stuff about gender and sexuality as it could've) but what's there is great.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Finally tracked down a copy of possession on DVD through inter library loan, but it is a region 2 dvd and I can’t watch it

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Altered Carbon s2 is even better than s1.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
In what way? Every review I read said that it was pretty disappointing outside of the visuals.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

tweet my meat posted:

Altered Carbon s2 is even better than s1.

Is it still schlocky Syfy channel nonsense but with the occasional tiddy?

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Drive To Survive is really good, and I particularly love hearing the Battlefield 4 OST throughout.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

beanieson posted:

Is it still schlocky Syfy channel nonsense but with the occasional tiddy?

They toned down the nudity, upped the cyberpunk dystopia, added Simone Missick, gave Chris Connor more to do and cast someone who could act as Kovacs.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

If you are wondering what happened to the Disney+ Lizzie McGuire show they were filming, the showrunner was effectively fired because she was making the series "too mature". Hillary Duff is campaigning for Disney to move the series to Hulu.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

The MSJ posted:

If you are wondering what happened to the Disney+ Lizzie McGuire show they were filming, the showrunner was effectively fired because she was making the series "too mature". Hillary Duff is campaigning for Disney to move the series to Hulu.

Lol this makes me actually interested in it

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

The MSJ posted:

I was reading about this and apparently the new version of High Fidelity with Zoe Kravitz was originally going to be on Disney+ and was moved to Hulu for similar reasons. Imagining that show on D+ is really weird, why did they ever think that was a good fit for it? This is also the case for the Love, Simon tv adaptation, it's not hard to figure out why that one was considered too "mature" for Disney. Anyway, I was a big fan of Lizzie McGuire back in the day so I hope this works out instead of the whole thing falling apart, even though I thought it entirely unnecessary to bring the show back in the first place.

gently caress Disney, just in general.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

I never saw the last season of Game of Thrones, but I'm randomly seeing the third episode of the last season and it seems like a perfectly serviceable series finale, it could have come basically right after the last episode of the previous season and tied everything up. There's really more after this?

vv yeah basically after that i'm wondering who's even left alive to have their story finished vv

Inspector Hound fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Mar 1, 2020

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Inspector Hound posted:

I never saw the last season of Game of Thrones, but I'm randomly seeing the third episode of the last season and it seems like a perfectly serviceable series finale, it could have come basically right after the last episode of the previous season and tied everything up. There's really more after this?

I mean, yes? There’s all the living drama to take care of now that the dead drama is done. The resolution to all that stuff is even less satisfying. I thought a big issue towards the end was that the cast had gotten so thin with everyone getting killed off.

Having the Big Bad be completely mute was a gigantic mistake, although maybe it was a blessing considering his motivations were so boring. The Night King was ultimately completely uninteresting.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Altered Carbon is a show whose entire premise is that people can jump between bodies, swap bodies, jump into cloned bodies, etc., and the main character is somehow the first person in hundreds of years to realize that a safe that unlocks based on DNA is a terrible idea. Or am I misremembering this part?

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Martman posted:

Altered Carbon is a show whose entire premise is that people can jump between bodies, swap bodies, jump into cloned bodies, etc., and the main character is somehow the first person in hundreds of years to realize that a safe that unlocks based on DNA is a terrible idea. Or am I misremembering this part?

was it a really secure rich dude's dna, b/c if so maybe part of the point was hubris

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

wizardofloneliness posted:

I was reading about this and apparently the new version of High Fidelity with Zoe Kravitz was originally going to be on Disney+ and was moved to Hulu for similar reasons. Imagining that show on D+ is really weird, why did they ever think that was a good fit for it? This is also the case for the Love, Simon tv adaptation, it's not hard to figure out why that one was considered too "mature" for Disney. Anyway, I was a big fan of Lizzie McGuire back in the day so I hope this works out instead of the whole thing falling apart, even though I thought it entirely unnecessary to bring the show back in the first place.

gently caress Disney, just in general.

Weird thing is I'm sure by "mature" they just mean the new Lizzie McGuire show is at most PG13, same as the MCU movies which are on Disney+.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Girl on the Third Floor is crap

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

You know how lately there's been all these wrestlers breaking out into acting, and you might be skeptical of them at first, but they end up surprising you by being pretty good ,or at the very least charming enough that you enjoyed them? CM Punk, not one of those guys.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Martman posted:

Let's not forget that the terrorist group we are supposed to sympathize with decided arbitrarily that people should die after 100 years, despite the leader being a hypocrite who is well over 100 years old herself. Supposedly its because only rich people can afford it, but the leader is also a genius scientist, and its already been established that cloning/robot bodies exist. She could just be working to make them cheaper.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

veni veni veni posted:

You know how lately there's been all these wrestlers breaking out into acting, and you might be skeptical of them at first, but they end up surprising you by being pretty good ,or at the very least charming enough that you enjoyed them? CM Punk, not one of those guys.

It was like a parody of a parody of someone who say Bruce Campbell in Evil Dead 2

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
In a move that has to have some intentionality to it, Netflix just added Outbreak.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In a move that has to have some intentionality to it, Netflix just added Outbreak.

Oh man I can’t wait

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I did an Outbreak and Contagion double feature last week. It was great.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
Hereditary left me not knowing how to feel, I don't know if I liked it, I have no idea how to rate it. It is well acted and directed with an ominous sound track but not very inspired, clever, or original. It's a good movie but not great.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

teagone posted:

I did an Outbreak and Contagion double feature last week. It was great.

Outbreak is garbage, I wish Contagion was streaming somewhere.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I just know someone right now is putting together another adaptation of The Andromeda Strain

Which actually is a good book and maybe could be done right as like a period piece or something

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

wormil posted:

Hereditary left me not knowing how to feel, I don't know if I liked it, I have no idea how to rate it. It is well acted and directed with an ominous sound track but not very inspired, clever, or original. It's a good movie but not great.

I enjoyed it but I felt like I needed a hug afterwards.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
When I think about horror movies that I like clever is not a word I would associate with any of them except for maybe cabin in the woods. That's kind of a weird thing to expect from a horror flick.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Field Mousepad posted:

When I think about horror movies that I like clever is not a word I would associate with any of them except for maybe cabin in the woods. That's kind of a weird thing to expect from a horror flick.

You should respect horror

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

10 Beers posted:

I enjoyed it but I felt like I needed a hug afterwards.

I liked it I guess, the depictions of grief were realistic and that one wtf moment made me sit up and actually say, what the gently caress, but I would have liked an ending that left something to think about or been shocking. By the end we already know what's going on and the final scene was a little comical.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
It makes pretty much no effort hide the ending though.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

wormil posted:

I liked it I guess, the depictions of grief were realistic and that one wtf moment made me sit up and actually say, what the gently caress, but I would have liked an ending that left something to think about or been shocking. By the end we already know what's going on and the final scene was a little comical.

The whole movie is pretty darkly comedic.

And the ending is pretty open-ended. Hop into the Midsommar thread, there's plenty of questions in there.

Field Mousepad posted:

It makes pretty much no effort hide the ending though.

Yeah, absolutely. You ever see a couple that absolutely should not be together? That they are absolutely doomed to everyone around them, but no one's gonna say anything? They're just gonna wait a month or two until they hate each other and break up and everyone can move on? That's what Midsommar does with it's foreshadowing. The first shot of the film is the plot drawn out into a Mu Pan tapestry.

edit: I realized afterwards we're talking about Hereditary, not Midsommar! My bad. But yes, Hereditary also has some pitch-black comedy going on in the final act.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Mar 2, 2020

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The main scene that gives away that Hereditary is a pitch black comedy is the book burning scene.

I see we're talking about Midsommar though. Carry on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Basebf555 posted:

I see we're talking about Midsommar though.

Franchescanado posted:

I realized afterwards we're talking about Hereditary

Well I'm lost