Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

PMush Perfect posted:

I felt similarly about Draken, but that actually panned out.

Who is Draken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Darken, that was the name. The fantasy comic about drow by Kate Ashwin. She's behind the currently running and absolutely excellent Widdershins.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

That thing about 'he wears more than one shirt, he must have a complex internal life' is just... my god.

Also 'dance, puppets, dance' is precisely the kind of grandstanding wannabe-supervillain-but-also-extremely-convinced-of-own-moral-superiority joke that nerds (used to?) make. And that Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog satirized. When you're less self-aware than Joss Whedon you have some serious brainworms.

Hostile V
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Thank you for the reminder of what exactly happened in that arc, I think that was more or less when I stopped caring about DD and wasn't yet on SA for the mocking of it. I see now that it is indeed a loving waste of time to remember what happens in any of these comics because it's always dumber than you remember.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PMush Perfect posted:

Darken, that was the name. The fantasy comic about drow by Kate Ashwin. She's behind the currently running and absolutely excellent Widdershins.
Oh, thank you. Sorry, I thought it was somehow a character from Original Recipe Deegan I didn't remember. I like how this thread is becoming recs for good webcomics.

Joe Slowboat posted:

That thing about 'he wears more than one shirt, he must have a complex internal life' is just... my god.

Also 'dance, puppets, dance' is precisely the kind of grandstanding wannabe-supervillain-but-also-extremely-convinced-of-own-moral-superiority joke that nerds (used to?) make. And that Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog satirized. When you're less self-aware than Joss Whedon you have some serious brainworms.
There's no "used to" about it. While the mainstream has moved past stuff like this, otaku like Mookie still do it. Mookie is constantly jerking off to the climax of the "Foundation" series. That's what he thinks he's doing with Dominic Deegan, writing the defeat of the Mule.

Hostile V posted:

Thank you for the reminder of what exactly happened in that arc, I think that was more or less when I stopped caring about DD and wasn't yet on SA for the mocking of it. I see now that it is indeed a loving waste of time to remember what happens in any of these comics because it's always dumber than you remember.

You're welcome. Well, if I can shoulder that burden for you, I'm more than happy to do it.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
At its core Dominic Deegan is a good idea. A series that focuses on outwitting and strategizing around your physically superior foes is always fun, but Mookie isn't a clever writer at all. After a while Dominic's go-to strategy was "Snitch to the closest, strongest person and have them Kamehameha my problems away". Sometimes it got to the point where Dominic could just Kamehameha problems himself.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

She's posted in this thread. :ssh:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I don't have a problem with her reading someone appreciating and recommending her creation.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler

TheHan posted:

At its core Dominic Deegan is a good idea. A series that focuses on outwitting and strategizing around your physically superior foes is always fun, but Mookie isn't a clever writer at all. After a while Dominic's go-to strategy was "Snitch to the closest, strongest person and have them Kamehameha my problems away". Sometimes it got to the point where Dominic could just Kamehameha problems himself.

In addition to that, it helps if your character that's "outsmarting" the superior foes isn't an unlikable dick.

And since Widdershins was mentioned. Yeah, Widdershins is fantastic.

Drunk Theory fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Mar 1, 2020

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

ninjewtsu posted:

What were the best parts of dominic deegan?

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

Finally in Konoha, good god. I won’t even get into the logistics behind that sign.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Mookie doesn't even remember the sign gag

One of those Elephant Catapults lives at the bottom of the cliff, clearly.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

this is what happens when someone attempts to draw Kowloon Walled City without ever seeing a picture of Kowloon Walled City, I think. Those are supposed to be ramshackle buildings literally built on top of each other, but they just look like skyscrapers

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

I think the inspiration is probably cliff cities like this:

But without color it's not nearly as visually striking (especially the indistinct blobs which could be trees or rocks).

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

oriongates posted:

But without color it's not nearly as visually striking (especially the indistinct blobs which could be trees or rocks).

Most of them look like literal asses.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

PoptartsNinja posted:

Mookie doesn't even remember the sign gag

One of those Elephant Catapults lives at the bottom of the cliff, clearly.

they are called "tossers"

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

it looks like the ringed city out of DS3 but with more boring architecture

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

TheHan posted:

Most of them look like literal asses.

The little "Y" shaped branches are an...unfortunate choice there.

oriongates fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 2, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

TheHan posted:

Finally in Konoha, good god. I won’t even get into the logistics behind that sign.

Man, that looks like poo poo.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Maybe I'm being too generous about these because it's at least something besides flat plains, but I appreciate that he's at least trying for sweeping geographic panels. It points to, in some small way, an attempt at artistic growth on Mookie's part.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

Do you guys think the next two weeks will be Snout and Inkwich "comically" trying to climb down the cliff or will we just hardcut to them standing in a city street because Mookie got bored?

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

can't wait for mookie to get bored of drawing this city real fast and just show them in a white void again

PMush Perfect posted:

Maybe I'm being too generous about these because it's at least something besides flat plains, but I appreciate that he's at least trying for sweeping geographic panels. It points to, in some small way, an attempt at artistic growth on Mookie's part.

I'd give Mookie more credit like that except he's clearly just winging it with no previous practice or technique. This was probably the first time he ever attempted to draw anything like this, ever. That's not bravery - it's laziness. I'll give him credit when he actually learns how to make it look good consistently.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Mar 2, 2020

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Crowetron posted:

Do you guys think the next two weeks will be Snout and Inkwich "comically" trying to climb down the cliff or will we just hardcut to them standing in a city street because Mookie got bored?

One week of climbing then suddenly in the void the city streets.

Why are there power lines? Does Mongreltown have electricity?

He traced a picture of a snack tower his wife got him for a treat:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I mean, it’s location...that’s a thing. I guess.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It is, at least, something different.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Finally. Something happened.

Not much, but something.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

This is fine, as long as the detail is not just confined on this single page but persists as we see more of Mongreltown closer up afterwards. A single establishing shot isn't enough to make up for everything else being white voids.

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

the yeti posted:

Mongreltown will be down there :geno:

:colbert:

VVVV HMPH :v:

the yeti fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Mar 2, 2020

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
You don't get credit for pointing out the obvious

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

Invisible Clergy posted:

Why are there power lines? Does Mongreltown have electricity?
gonna turn out they have electricity, indoor plumbing, telecommunication, the works, and Snout's really just a weird hermit.

gonna discover texting and accidentally send a dickpic to that orc

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

What important character do you think loves up on the isolated hut up the cliff to the left?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Nighthand posted:

What important character do you think loves up on the isolated hut up the cliff to the left?

Eventually, Snout and the Witch will love in the hut.

Pyrotoad
Oct 24, 2010

Illegal Hen

TheHan posted:

He wishes he was in Konoha :colbert:

Wouldn't look out of place in the Boruto era though, I guess. At least in the modern bits.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

actually nah

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Mar 3, 2020

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!

This page is actually fine, look at all the actions conveyed in one page! The story’s moved 5x faster than it has the last two months.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Snout's tail is now a cancerous growth coming out of his kidney.

Is that a Kilroy Was Here reference? That's almost funny.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TheHan posted:

The coloring is REALLY loving with me on this. At least, that's all I can figure out here. All of the big, light colored rocks look closer to us than the buildings. It's only supposed to be true for some of them, but... Ugh, it's a weird eye maze.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Midnight Voyager posted:

The coloring is REALLY loving with me on this. At least, that's all I can figure out here. All of the big, light colored rocks look closer to us than the buildings. It's only supposed to be true for some of them, but... Ugh, it's a weird eye maze.

Again, it's because Mookie hasn't studied or practiced how to draw any of this. He's never tried perspective, depth, texture, anything. He just drew some boxes that seemed like houses to him and some lines that seemed like rocks and made no attempt to mesh them together.

This is worthy of praise if it's a little kid drawing it for the very first time. For an adult man who has been making comics for decades, it's embarrassing.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

Midnight Voyager posted:

I'm pretty sure those are trees. The fact it's not clear is another indictment of his inability to draw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

TheHan posted:

This page is actually fine, look at all the actions conveyed in one page! The story’s moved 5x faster than it has the last two months.

He's actually putting in effort!

First panel's funny though, why are they reach for each other's hand? Snout should be propping the witch up from her legs, he's helping her get down.