Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

stockpile hand sanitizer and just drink that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

U-DO Burger posted:

yeah we're hosed lol

they let some fucker wander around San Antonio spreading his lick-spittle everywhere gently caress

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

god bless corona-chan for killing amazon and jeff bezos's wealth

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

just going to eat a few pounds of cheese and not be physically capable of making GBS threads for 2 weeks, bing bong so easy

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

flying to denver for the week tomorrow morning out of nyc will trip report as i melt into virions

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

my dad is voting for biden so I'm just ordering stuff off of amazon and having it shipped to his house figure it's best that I do the needful

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Fellatio del Toro posted:

stockpile hand sanitizer piss and just drink that

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

GrimGypsy posted:

just going to eat a few pounds of cheese and not be physically capable of making GBS threads for 2 weeks, bing bong so easy

yes, eating a highly fatty food makes you incapable of making GBS threads

absolute brain genius here

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Doorknob Slobber posted:

i didnt get to lmao all day at this

so lmao im a usps worker and we all have to touch everything and we're all loving dead no more amazon packages for you

lol you're going to infect a few people itt

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Chard posted:

this plague is a test which will separate the dry bean people from the canned bean people. only the former will find mercy.

The only true beans are canned beans. Instant access to beans whenever you want. Not soaking them for a trillion years in your crybaby bitch tears as you wait to eat.

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

so sounds like the combination of trying to believe that keeping cases out of the usa was all that mattered, to not anger trump, and any talk of, much less testing for, community transition would spook number and thus also anger trump doomed america to being a hotbed of virus

i mean, we were doomed no matter what, but this accelerates things i guess

turmp

https://twitter.com/JeremyKonyndyk/status/1234180129527619586

edit: there's more in the whole thread, not just the sciencemag article that has been posted previously... although the overall sentiment in the tweet thread is also something this thread has already settled on as well

Crusader fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Mar 2, 2020

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

my emergency booze is a mere 30 pack of hamms, 1 liter of tito's vodka and 1.75 liters of captain morgan (for grog if poo poo really shits the fan). i dont even feel that prepared

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

SKULL.GIF posted:

yes, eating a highly fatty food makes you incapable of making GBS threads

absolute brain genius here

some of us have idiot digestive tracts please do not be divisive, we need unity among struggle shitters right now

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

Did we post this one yet?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0L9-POl_GFs

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChinaDaily/status/1234338901092753408?s=20

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

GrimGypsy posted:

Japan update: The Great Toilet Paper Shortage is real. Food is everywhere, both fresh and stuff you can store long-term. Normal toiletries, medicine, etc also fine. Just the TP. I know it's happening in the US too, but locally it apparently stems from a social media rumor that China was going to stop sending toilet paper over...even though Japan manufactures pretty much all of their own.

who needs toilet paper anyway if you have a fancy bidet

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 7 days!
Ultra Carp
oh dear

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

we are all gonna die

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable

Crusader posted:

so sounds like the combination of trying to believe that keeping cases out of the usa was all that mattered, to not anger trump, and any talk of, much less testing for, community transition would spook number and thus also anger trump doomed america to being a hotbed of virus

i mean, we were doomed no matter what, but this accelerates things i guess

turmp

https://twitter.com/JeremyKonyndyk/status/1234180129527619586

edit: there's more in the whole thread, not just the sciencemag article that has been posted previously... although the overall sentiment in the tweet thread is also something this thread has already settled on as well

I don't think you need to search very hard to find the conclusion that trump gutted CDC funding, installed useless maralago yesmen, and never put any serious thought toward coronachan until last week. The poo poo kits are just a byproduct of the grift where the CDC was just giving handouts to their grift buds to make some useless $3,000 test.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Bullfrog posted:

smdh...... i agree,,, idsgusting

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

triple sulk posted:

god bless corona-chan for killing amazon and jeff bezos's wealth

comrade corona

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

twoday posted:

I find it hard to believe that in that there have been only 9 cases in all of the combined former Soviet states, especially that there have been none in the central Asian countries between China and Iran

3 in Russia
3 in Georgia
1 in Belarus
1 in Lithuania
1 in Armenia

Current distribution of nCoV-2019 in relation to variants of BCG vaccines

Cytokine response in COVID-2019
COVID-19 is deadly, in part, due to the way it affects the immune response of the body The viral infection starts in the upper respiratory tract, enters cells through ACE2 receptors, and causes cell death there. The fluid and viral remnants then fall down into the lungs, where they trigger inflammation in the form of a cytokine response. Cytokines are proteins which determine how other aspects of your immune system respond, and what sort of immune response your body produces. In certain diseases something called a “cytokine storm” occurs. This is a sort of feedback loop where the cytokines tell the body to have a certain reaction to an infection, and that reaction in turn increases production of certain cytokines, etc., until the body produces excessive amounts of certain immune agents which actually cause damage to the body. In COVID-19 this cytokine feedback loop ends up causing extensive damage to the lungs, with large pockets of the lungs being destroyed by the body’s immune response in this manner.

Because cytokines play a part in the general immune response, they also play an important part in the immune response to many other diseases.

BCG vaccine variants
BCG is the name of one of the most common vaccines used on the planet earth. It is usually given at birth or shortly thereafter and is meant to protect against tuberculosis, and while not completely effective, limits the rate of the disease. It does not prevent initial infection of tuberculosis, but modulates the immune response to it. The vaccine is made of a bacterium called Mycobacterium bovis, and most notably provides protection against the related bacteria which cause tuberculosis (Mycobacterium tuberculosis), as well as leprosy (Mycobacterium leprae), among others. As the name suggests, M. bovis is derived from cattle, or more specifically the bacterium which causes tuberculosis in cattle. Think perhaps about how cowpox proved to be an effective vaccine against against smallpox in humans.

Although BCG vaccination is prevalent around the world, not all BCG vaccines are the same. The bacterium used for the vaccine evolved, and was isolated at different times in different places. As a result, there are different BCG strains used in vaccines in different countries.

Here is a chart showing the evolutionary relationships of some variants of the bacteria:

There are a few specific variants that are of present interest to us, but the important feature of this tree is that it has a distinct branch on top containing the Sweden, Russia, Tokyo, and Moreau variants, and some other ones below which contains China, Danish, Pasteur, etc. The study which this chart is from found that “Comparatieve genome and transcriptome analyses indicate that BCG Russia is an ancient BCG strain most closely related to the original strain.” Thus, the latter are more recent mutations.

Numerous studies have found that the variant of the BCG which was used affected the body’s immune response and the outcome in various diseases.

This study found that the variant used affected cytokine response, with the Danish variety triggering a stronger cytokine reaction than the Russian one:

quote:

We hypothesized that immunogenicity to BCG-Denmark would differ to that of Russian and Bulgarian BCG immunized infants. We compared the magnitude of cytokine responses in infants vaccinated with both strains in CT vs. Jos. Infant samples were re-stimulated in vitro with the matched antigen, except cells from CT infants vaccinated with BCG-Russia were stimulated with BCG-Denmark culture (SSI) in vitro (Supplementary Table 2). We confirmed that the in vitro stimulating antigen did not impact the T cell cytokine magnitude and polyfunctional response (Supplementary Figure 2). As expected, total CD4 cytokine response magnitudes were comparable between strains before vaccination (Figures 1A,B). At week 7 post BCG vaccination, however, the BCG-Denmark strain vaccinated infants had significantly higher frequencies of CD4+ cytokine-producing cells over background (median = 0.83%) compared to both Jos infants vaccinated with BCG-Bulgaria (median = 0.23%) and CT infants vaccinated with BCG-Russia (median = 0.23%, P < 0.0001 for both; Figures 1A,B).

This study also indicated stronger cytokine reactions in Danish than in Russia variants.

This study found that Pasteur variety triggered a stronger reaction than the China variety (which is derived from the Danish variety):

quote:

We found that BCG Pasteur strain induced higher specific IgG and IgG1 titers, higher proliferation of splenocytes, higher percentages of CD4+ or CD8+ T cells, and higher concentration of secreted IFN-γ than BCG China strain.

So, it seems that the Russian variety triggers the least response, then the Danish and Chinese variants are in the middle, and the Pasteur variety has the most intense response, in certain aspects of the cytokine system.

Geographic distribution of BCG vaccines
Let’s look at some maps.

Here is the current map of BCG vaccination policies by country:

Most of Western Europe no longer has mandatory BCG vaccinations, though some, such as France, did until very recently. Most of the rest of the world does have mandatory BCG vaccination. Several notable exceptions are Italy, the US, Canada, and the Netherlands, which never had universal mandatory vaccination programs.

More specific data per country can be found at the BCG world Atlas.

Here is a map of the variant of BCG vaccine used in different countries:

China and Iran have their own variants of the vaccine, with the Chinese one being a variant of the Danish one, and the Iranian one being a variant of Pasteur. As mentioned above, the Pasteur variety is known as perhaps the most potent strain, triggering some very intense immune responses, and also having numerous other exceptionally adverse side-effects in certain cases. The situation per country varies a lot. Is there any kind of pattern here?

Let’s look at the COVID infection statistics per country:

Notably, the virus is spreading in China, Iran, Italy, Japan, and South Korea, and more recently gaining a foothold in Western Europe.

Iran uses the Pasteur variant, which causes a very strong cytokine response, and they seem to be having a particularly deadly outbreak. South Korea also uses a a Pasteur variant.

As noted before, China uses a variety of the Danish vaccine, as does Western Europe (in countries where it is used at all).

Japan mostly uses the Japanese variant, which is related to the Russia variant.

Most notable is that the former Soviet countries and former Soviet satellite countries in Eastern Europe, as well as India, Turkey, and many countries in Africa and South America all use the Russian strain (which triggers the weakest cytokine response) and there have been almost no reported cases in those countries. Even in Germany, the vast majority of cases seem to have been found in Western Germany so far.

Is it related? Who knows. Let’s give it a few more weeks and see.

just saying!!!

edit: The update to this, Part 2, can be found by clicking this link!

Part 3

twoday fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Mar 25, 2020

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

https://twitter.com/JeremyKonyndyk/status/1234223668135448576?s=20

lmao at this idiot

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Putin is the media in Russia and they run everything thru the Kremlin including local news from Siberia because United Russia only let’s oligarchs and their wives hold office and their power is absolute.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author

Nonsense posted:

Putin is the media in Russia and they run everything thru the Kremlin including local news from Siberia because United Russia only let’s oligarchs and their wives hold office and their power is absolute.

Sure, and most post Soviet countries are likewise tinpot dictatorships, but does he control the Eastern European countries in the EU as well as the medical establishments in India, South America, and Africa?

TeenageArchipelago
Jul 23, 2013

the answer is ideology *schniff*

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

twoday posted:

Sure, and most post Soviet countries are likewise tinpot dictatorships, but does he control the Eastern European countries in the EU as well as the medical establishments in India, South America, and Africa?

I was addressing Russia which has a public health crisis involving merely loving alcohol. of course they have COVID-19. Everywhere else? who knows they ain’t on anybody’s radar 364 days of the year.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

so, there were multiple tests that were hosed, so a lot of the negative results could turn out to be positive

you just know that the people who got told "it's negative, get on with your life" just proceeded happily to sneeze and cough everywhere cause they thought they didn't have it

lmao

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Epic High Five posted:

Don't soak overnight just pressure cook them from dry

You can do that, but you should soak anyway. You'll fart less if you soak first

Pf. Hikikomoriarty
Feb 15, 2003

RO YNSHO

Slippery Tilde

imagine giving the trump admin the benefit of the doubt

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I still can't get over the German dude who had "unlimited" contacts lmao

https://twitter.com/2019nCoVwatcher/status/1232664376139747328?s=20

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

that’s a lot of idiot tweets that are easily summed up with “trump screamed at everyone who told him bad news”

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dads friend steve posted:

still going to the gym tho :shrug:
gotta get swole and healthy so you can shrug it off when corona chan comes for thee

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

orange sky posted:

I still can't get over the German dude who had "unlimited" contacts lmao

https://twitter.com/2019nCoVwatcher/status/1232664376139747328?s=20

Not great, not terrible.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

You can do that, but you should soak anyway. You'll fart less if you soak first

Fake news, the farts are unchanged

facetoucher cat
Dec 20, 2013

by sebmojo
I think I'm ready. I've been preparing since Prester Jane graced these forums with insanity and WTF-ever. Tomorrow I see my doctor for the last extra of my prescriptions and to vote in the primary. On top of this I've got 4 months of cat food, water storage (I've got a filter), liquor, cigarettes, recreational drugs, and 2 vats of hand sanitizer I plan on sleeping in. I already work remotely so that's lovely. I'm high risk for poo poo going wrong so I'd like to avoid the public for a while
e: gently caress mobile

facetoucher cat fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Mar 2, 2020

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

also farting is good and prevents bowel cancer

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

is....is this original research?

because :catstare:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BONGHITZ