Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Elviscat posted:

TBH, the mean time to failure on jellybean Taurii transmissions means that mint ones are indeed as rare as hen's teeth.

Are you trying to sully the AX4N transmissions reputation?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I KNOW WHAT I GOT

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/cto/d/bay-pines-1968-dodge-charger/7083084035.html

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

I think the owner of Graveyard Cars would take a pass on that.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

SW20s are going for 35 grand

the gently caress? looking at japanese dealers selling even the runout 1999 2000 models are only going for around a million yen. maybe a genuine TRD car or a spider might sell for that but i dunno where you pulled that figure from

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

track day bro! posted:

the gently caress? looking at japanese dealers selling even the runout 1999 2000 models are only going for around a million yen. maybe a genuine TRD car or a spider might sell for that but i dunno where you pulled that figure from

His rear end, mostly. Since he has a clean one that's probably going to go on sale soon. :v:

I've seen a few on BaT but none anywhere near that.

Edit: ok there's TWO that were high priced like that but that's hardly the norm. One is a low mile 94 turbo which is already rare, the other is a super low mile 91 turbo.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Feb 27, 2020

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Cannot imagine why a car dealer would want to inflate the prices of cars.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Joe Mama posted:

I KNOW WHAT I'VE GOT. You ignorant savage.
On the topic of S2000s: https://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/pts/d/edison-2004-honda-s-k-original-miles/7069000840.html

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't trust anyone that buys that car and never loving drives it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Suburban Dad posted:

His rear end, mostly. Since he has a clean one that's probably going to go on sale soon. :v:

I've seen a few on BaT but none anywhere near that.

Edit: ok there's TWO that were high priced like that but that's hardly the norm. One is a low mile 94 turbo which is already rare, the other is a super low mile 91 turbo.

lol drat i better find some dumb rear end american to buy mine then

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

He’ll definitely get that.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

track day bro! posted:

Not JDM ones, just USDM and only on Bring a Trailer. They are outside the norm but they are still two SW20s that have sold for that, dragging the prices of all the other ones up with them. It isn't like they prices are going to go down now.
The point I'm trying to make is that values shift, a good car can't stay cheap forever, as they die the ones that survive, etc etc it's the exact same story with any car ever. IF you want a nice clean SW20 you better buy now because tomorrow they'll be more expensive.
The thing that makes the prices go ultra high is clean and stock condition, modified or repaired ones don't count. I don't think a right hand drive SW20 will ever get to the prices of an identical USDM one on the high end just because some people have real issues with RHD. I've got the white revision 3 turbo SW20 right now with 63,000 km on it (just under 40,000 miles) and I am expecting a good price, but well under 20k for sure, nothing approaching 35k.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Cannot imagine why a car dealer would want to inflate the prices of cars.

I do profit directly off of the inflation of prices yeah, but only to a point. I'm already comfortably priced out of AZ-1s even though I got to enjoy two of them. Now they are skipping into R32 Skyline territory where things go truly bananas.
I'm just a dude, not some conglomerate with a staff and network of dealers, just a small rented warehouse.

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

He’ll definitely get that.

Yep.

Joe Mama
May 10, 2008

I have a coworker who summer drives his mostly mint silver AP1. He's already considering cashing in on it.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

There’s one at a dealer around here with the same mileage but silver with black interior. The price started at 30k but went down to 24k and I’ve been thinking about dropping by with my business card and asking them to call me when they are ready to accept 20k. The market in my area is not conducive to moving high-price Hondas.

Then again I don’t think I need another AP1.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
My SW21 is not worth and will never be worth over 10k. It should stay that way.

There are a whole whack of JDM Import dealers on Instagram. Their inventories are either sports cars that were bought from a breaking yard in Osaka that are hilariously overpriced or the most worthless pieces of poo poo imaginable (that are slightly less overpriced).

Nobody in the entire universe wants a JDM 1995 Honda Odyssey for 6k or a 1996 Automatic Carina wagon for $7500.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
I see RHD CRVs from time to time - I do not understand why you would go to the trouble of importing a JDM version of a shitbox that they made 10s of thousands of in LHD.

The Russian Far East/North Asian guys do it but it at least makes sense there.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frond posted:

I see RHD CRVs from time to time - I do not understand why you would go to the trouble of importing a JDM version of a shitbox that they made 10s of thousands of in LHD.

The Russian Far East/North Asian guys do it but it at least makes sense there.

Postal delivery vehicles maybe?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1994-honda-accord-wagon-2/

I like Accord Wagons and all but I don't know if I would go far enough to import one.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.japaneseclassics.com/vehicle/1994-honda-accord-wagon-2/

I like Accord Wagons and all but I don't know if I would go far enough to import one.

Japanese Classics is not a good importer.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

"Trying my luck in Florida" :lol:

Yes let me advertise my Solstice located in Flint Michigan in Florida because they probably don't have any there :psyduck:

https://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/cto/d/clio-2007-pontiac-solstice-convertible/7084765742.html

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
Haha, the trunk on Solstice is so useless, they're towing a cargo trailer around! Most likely a boomer with a condo in Florida, spending winter down there anyways. I bought my minivan from people like that, many highway miles, pristine condition otherwise.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I don't understand how the GM messed up the Solstice trunk so bad. Or the fact that the Solstice twins weigh 2800+ lbs, which is the weight of the GT86 cars, compared to the NB Miata of the time which came in at 2350 lbs. How GM? How?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
it was a cut down Corvette platform plus a lot of cost cutting

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Coredump posted:

I don't understand how the GM messed up the Solstice trunk so bad. Or the fact that the Solstice twins weigh 2800+ lbs, which is the weight of the GT86 cars, compared to the NB Miata of the time which came in at 2350 lbs. How GM? How?

Mid 2000s GM. Not much is great from the complacent era.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

The sad part is if you go back to that era I used to cheerlead the solstice twins so hard. Now I see the error of my ways. If I ever got a chance at a Solstice GXP coupe I would be severely tempted to go for it still. See how well a LFX v6 would fit in there.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

I believe somebody found a 2jz supra engine fits in there perfectly, like bolts up to the chassis without modification and bolts right up to the stock manual trans. :psyduck:

The coupes are good looking cars (also better because the weird rear end complicated way you fold down the top) at least. I always liked the Saturn version of the car better because it doesn't look like an electric razor up front. :haw:

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Mar 2, 2020

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

the saturn sky looked legit but man was GM lost about product positioning and brand positioning at that point in time even more so than now

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I've been slightly tempted by GXP's for sale, but it's like why bother when i can get a really nice miata for the same price

Frond
Mar 12, 2018
Saturn was a pointless brand. I never quite understood why the cars weren’t sold under another existing brand like Pontiac.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Frond posted:

Saturn was a pointless brand. I never quite understood why the cars weren’t sold under another existing brand like Pontiac.

BECAUSE IT WAS A DIFFERENT KIND OF CAR

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
*assembly line screeches to a halt because that idiot Steve broke another fuel line clip*

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Foggin' for mosquitos in my SL1

[/Nelly]

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Frond posted:

it wasn't really a pointless brand at the beginning, the whole point was to be anti-gm

sell small, fuel efficient cars that competed directly with honda and toyota
decent dealer experience with no haggle sales model and some other interesting technological and operational innovations

if you had built the first and tried to sell them through the traditional GM dealer it would have failed. it ended up failing eventually anyway, but at the beginning it was pretty cool and good and innovative.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Suburban Dad posted:

The coupes are good looking cars (also better because the weird rear end complicated way you fold down the top) at least. I always liked the Saturn version of the car better because it doesn't look like an electric razor up front. :haw:

it looks like a safety razor instead xD

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

if you had built the first and tried to sell them through the traditional GM dealer it would have failed. it ended up failing eventually anyway, but at the beginning it was pretty cool and good and innovative.

I wonder if Toyota got the idea from GM to start the Scion brand

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Pretty sure that was Toyota trying to sell cars to young people after they failed with "Project Genesis" which was the sixth gen Celica, third gen MR2 and the Echo. That didn't work so they tried Scion.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Applebees Appetizer posted:

kind of - everyone is trying to get younger buyers in various ways so in that sense its similar

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

it was a cut down Corvette platform plus a lot of cost cutting

The cost-cutting was so extensive that GM forced the consumer to pay to remove the spacers installed for manufacturing and shipping on the Solstice's sport suspension package.

I thought my selection for this week was good until I remembered how inflated the Paul Walker Collection cars were, and that someone really might pay $8000 for this

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

That is the least inspired subwoofer install ever

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
It's a shame that scion never got the love it deserved, but when you market more expensive versions of the most econobox economy cars to broke people...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

The Door Frame posted:

It's a shame that scion never got the love it deserved, but when you market more expensive versions of the most econobox economy cars to broke people...

I wonder if people had money maybe they would buy more things :thunk: :thunk: :thunk: