Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

indigi posted:

TLJ is about 40 minutes of good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

So what was the point of all the Threepio stuff? it’s just completely baffling ....what thematic, narrative or character development purpose did it serve? the movie feels a fever dream lmao

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

nemesis_hub posted:

So what was the point of all the Threepio stuff? it’s just completely baffling ....what thematic, narrative or character development purpose did it serve? the movie feels a fever dream lmao

It feels like they wanted to make it a big final sacrifice but either JJ chickened out or some suit at Disney screamed at him and made him walk it back. Same with Chewbacca.

They couldn’t even commit to killing off Babu Frik and Zorri Bliss when their planet exploded and they were loving nobodies lol

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Btw the knights of Ren all survived and they’re all friends again so don’t worry

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You take that back, Babu Frick was the best and possibly only genuinely good part of that movie. Not the whole 3PO plot, just the character.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Zoran posted:

the really criminal thing is that nobody lost a hand. (snoke doesn’t count)

I thought C3PO was carrying the torch for lost limbs with his red arm, but then seconds after first appearing on screen he casually says "I really should reattach my proper arm!" What?!

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

2house2fly posted:

I thought C3PO was carrying the torch for lost limbs with his red arm, but then seconds after first appearing on screen he casually says "I really should reattach my proper arm!" What?!

I don't remember that part, but if so it was a reference to a rare C3PO figure that had a red arm.

E: that I now can't find any reference to on the internet. A false memory?

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Feb 25, 2020

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oops I forgot this was a ROS thread, I meant his red arm in TFA

nemesis_hub posted:

C3PO the eternal coward is willing to sacrifice himself for the cause, going willingly to the same fate that was inflicted on him at the end of episode 3, and his bravery is rewarded when it turns out R2D2 really has been keeping backups of his memories this whole time. It's kind of an analogue to how the Resistance flies into certain death and is rewarded by the whole galaxy turning up to help. They could also have cut the whole loving thing and given the movie some drat breathing room

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nemesis_hub posted:

Not only was it walked back so non of it actually mattered but then D-O (who, as the kicker is voiced by JJ Abrams) straight up goes "I had the map to Exegol the whole time and could have saved you 3/4s of a movie's worth of running around".

JJ Abrams himself invalidates half the movie from inside the movie itself. The hackery is metatextual!

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

2house2fly posted:

Oops I forgot this was a ROS thread, I meant his red arm in TFA
C3PO the eternal coward is willing to sacrifice himself for the cause, going willingly to the same fate that was inflicted on him at the end of episode 3, and his bravery is rewarded when it turns out R2D2 really has been keeping backups of his memories this whole time. It's kind of an analogue to how the Resistance flies into certain death and is rewarded by the whole galaxy turning up to help. They could also have cut the whole loving thing and given the movie some drat breathing room

Yours is the most coherent explanation for that subplot that I’ve seen, but then it’s played off as a joke and they kind of bully him into it? It also seems to contradict the theme of TLJ about reckless sacrifice being bad, but the thread title covers that

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
3PO's red arm is actually a Metal Gear reference, Venom Snake in MGSV can get a gold arm to match

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

nemesis_hub posted:

Yours is the most coherent explanation for that subplot that I’ve seen, but then it’s played off as a joke and they kind of bully him into it? It also seems to contradict the theme of TLJ about reckless sacrifice being bad, but the thread title covers that

Also the Mandalorian came along a week later and did the "comic relief droid heroically sacrifices himself for the sake of his friends and their mission" bit WAY better AND stuck the landing on it perfectly, making the C-3PO subplot in ROS look that much more dumber and hollower in comparison.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

PinheadSlim posted:

How many horrible lightsaber wounds and deaths are there in the ST? There's Snoke but I can't really remember any more.

Kylo got a pretty disfiguring wound on his face at the end of TFA, but them TLJ moved it so it wouldn't look as bad. Rian Johnson apparently thought it looked 'goofy' going all the way across his face.

Disney probably should have hired some people that wouldn't do stupid retcons of the previous movie.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011
"team of rivals"

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

The C3PO bit was necessary as the core plot of all Star Wars, the thing that distinguishes the mainline from the EU, is three generations of the same family bullying their effeminate slave.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

There was another reason to watch?

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tulip posted:

The C3PO bit was necessary as the core plot of all Star Wars, the thing that distinguishes the mainline from the EU, is three generations of the same family bullying their effeminate slave.

Lol

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

nine-gear crow posted:

Also the Mandalorian came along a week later and did the "comic relief droid heroically sacrifices himself for the sake of his friends and their mission" bit WAY better AND stuck the landing on it perfectly, making the C-3PO subplot in ROS look that much more dumber and hollower in comparison.

Did it though? I thought the ending of the Mandalorian fell flat because it seems like the force makes it so no stormtrooper can ever hit their mark so when IG-11 sacrifices himself it seems unnecessary because first, the troopers come off as incompetent for the whole episode and then he just gets to walk into the middle of all of them then why not just throw the grenade into the middle of them?

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Guy A. Person posted:

He's not on Jakku is he? I thought he was at Maz's place. I thought he was one of the guys FN tried to escape with.

That was such a weird set piece, it's where they put all the interesting looking aliens but they just stuff them all in there and don't do anything interesting with them. By contrast the Mos Eisley cantina is over pretty quick but you have two action beats (Obi Wan cutting off that dude's arm, Han shooting Greedo), and some memorable dialogue.

Phasma was also weird because she was fairly prominent in the first one then shows up just to die in the second one in a really pointless way, and then FN's arc is basically over since they refuse to follow through on his attraction to Rey for some reason.

Black guy with a white girl makes china uncomfortable

Noob Saibot
Jan 29, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

nine-gear crow posted:

I love the loving dipshit whiplash public opinion tracking on the Sequel Trilogy. From The Force Awakens "IT'S TOO MUCH LIKE OLD STAR WARS, DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT" to The Last Jedi "IT'S TOO DIFFERENT, IT SCARES ME, FIX IT ABRAMS" and finally to Rise of Skywalker "NOT LIKE THI-HI-HI-HISSSSS:qq:"

The movies were a loving cartwheeling disaster fire, but an incredibly enthralling people-watching experience.

TLJ isn’t really different it’s essentially empire strikes back with the throne room scene of ROTJ at the end instead of the luke/vader fight and the battle of hoth takes place at the end rather than the beginning of the film.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Noob Saibot posted:

TROS made $20 mil in China, they literally do not give a poo poo about this franchise

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

TROS made $20 mil in China, they literally do not give a poo poo about this franchise

Okay, but someone making a movie hoping that China will give a poo poo about it might make choices based on their idea of what chinese viewers might object to.

damn horror queefs
Oct 14, 2005

say hello
say hello to the man in the elevator

Noob Saibot posted:

Obligatory:

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Okay, but someone making a movie hoping that China will give a poo poo about it might make choices based on their idea of what chinese viewers might object to.

Their first mistake was making TFA

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
I mean that definitely wasn't their FIRST mistake...

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Surprised they didn’t say gently caress it and bring back Boba Fett too.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
https://twitter.com/screenrant/status/1233877145690222593

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Seems like they could have established that in 10 seconds with two lines of dialogue in the movie. Just have him tell Kylo “these clone bodies can’t withstand my dark side power, and the technology to make more is failing. If we’re going to enact my plan we must act now” and boom it’s all solved

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hell they could have very easily folded it into him explaining the Sith body transfer thing to Rey at the end. When he tells her he’ll possess her he can just say that he won’t have any need for imperfect clone bodies any longer

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Should have leaned into it and had like eight of him running around at the same time.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
one snoke enters, rey palpatine leaves

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Give me a full loving Palpatine chorus line all doing synchronized high kicks to recruit Rey to the Dark Side. That would redeem the whole movie.

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!
if hes a clone why the gently caress he look worse than he did in rots

Barudak
May 7, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Give me a full loving Palpatine chorus line all doing synchronized high kicks to recruit Rey to the Dark Side. That would redeem the whole movie.

Springtime for Palpatine!

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Doublestep posted:

if hes a clone why the gently caress he look worse than he did in rots

it's not a very good clone

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
The first few attempts were Snokes. Sheev's gotta been like "The gently caress? This isn't me! This is just some guy in a bathrobe!!"

And the guys were like "Look man you got vaporized twice, we had to scrape mummified cells off of your toothbrush!!"

"What! I don't have a toothbrush! Who the hell did you clone???"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Turns out sheev left lots of genetic material, all over the galaxy

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Mooey Cow posted:

The first few attempts were Snokes. Sheev's gotta been like "The gently caress? This isn't me! This is just some guy in a bathrobe!!"

And the guys were like "Look man you got vaporized twice, we had to scrape mummified cells off of your toothbrush!!"

"What! I don't have a toothbrush! Who the hell did you clone???"

Sheev learn basic hygiene challenge

Also

Cease to Hope posted:

it's not a very good movie

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

This is really stupid. The sheer audacity of not providing a direct explanation is one of those rare "so bullshit that it becomes kind of brilliant" moves and was absolutely the correct way to handle such a ludicrous plot development. And it will forever remain that way as far as I'm concerned. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

It could've actually been a decent plot to have the failing clone be the specific reason why Palpatine needed to seek out his progeny that he previously didn't give a poo poo about. Like his DNA had become unviable through weird experimentation or something and all the clones came out badly deformed and aged to dust within months or something.

But yeah that's just flat out not what's in the movie, you don't fuckin' clone someone as a crumbling old man puppet on purpose, and cloning has been established not to work like that in Star Wars. It makes an already insanely dumb plot even dumber to "fix" one aspect (Sheev being thrown into the core of a space station that was vaporized 5 minutes later) that was the least stupid part.