Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

MonsieurChoc posted:

The evil religion in X is very buddhist.

It's pulling from both!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Nah FF9 kind of already did the classic FF games all you could, it's a natural endcap for that style of fantasy in the franchise. They should do something weird and new instead like their do cause it's cool that they make weird and new settings each time.

whatever it is I hope I never have to see a boat with 6 or so propellers on the masts ever again in my life

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's an interesting take.

I won't say I'm some new convert to Buddhism but I've had an interest in it for years and am pursuing it more closely now. A line from FFX that has always stuck out with me is this line from Mika:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTQIED4YNFI&t=174s

Mika: Men die. Beasts die. Trees die. Even continents perish. Only the power of death truly commands in Spira. Resisting its power is futile.

That line was powerful to a younger me and I see its Buddhist roots now you mention it.

As somebody who plays and watches mostly Japanese media, I've observed a similar theme you can find in works as diverse as Evangelion or FFX or Shin Megami Tensei. It's the idea that the villain wants to help alleviate our suffering because life is inherently suffering and the hero has to say no, life might be suffering but we need to walk this path alone and not accept any sort of "easy out" in the form of Instrumentality or false hope or angels and demons.

This is a big theme in our dear Xenogears and Xenosaga, too. I'd say they both handle it better than any of the other works I just mentioned.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

MonsieurChoc posted:

It's very both. Deliberately so.

The parts of the religion pulled from Buddhism are the average beliefs of the common folk and especially the summoners, are closer to the natural order of things and are generally good aspects of the religion. Meanwhile the Catholic-based aspects of the Church like the power structure, the worship of a sacrificial messiah, and punishment of sins past are falsehoods and shackles passed down by the elite few in power with knowledge of the truth and the actions of the past that have perverted it, and generally represent the batshit evil parts.

FFX is not a very subtle game.

Mr. Locke fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Mar 1, 2020

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Actually I wouldn't be surprised if 16 is the sequel to 14.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

precision posted:

Actually I wouldn't be surprised if 16 is the sequel to 14.

I would be, if just because XIV is still three years out from completing the plotline planned out for it since A Realm Reborn (as told by the director in past interviews, at least) and I'd be really surprised if we went almost a decade since the formal announcement of Final Fantasy XV without getting a reveal for XVI.

Now, Final Fantasy 17 is probably a safe bet.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Final Fantasy XVI AKA Final Fantasy VIII-2

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

morallyobjected posted:

Type-0 is a good game. maybe not a great game, but a good game.

WaltherFeng posted:

Playing Type-0 way back on PSP was really good. You knew they had to cut a lot of corners to even get the game to run on PSP but it was still super impressive

:hmmyes:

Remake Type 0 in the style of ff15.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

I can't believe there's only one song from XII in that list. I love that soundtrack so much that I've used it in place of the music for other games.

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

This is by far the best track in FF12 and is really slept on for some reason...

https://youtu.be/QOAD58HCB-c

Sounds like a big evolution of the music style of 4 or 5

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Yeah the music in 12 owns hard

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I like Hitoshi Sakimoto's music (despite his style not having changed much over the years - like Fight To the Death is great but also might as well be from Vagrant Story) but it's not really surprising to me when the competition is as tough as that, plus the game itself only got 15th place in the main list. The one that made it was the main theme.

I might've expected one or two more from VIII personally, though Eyes on Me, The Man With the Machine Gun, Fisherman's Horizon, The Extreme and Force Your Way is a pretty strong set. The Balamb Garden theme being there wouldn't have surprised me at all.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Kanfy posted:

I like Hitoshi Sakimoto's music (despite his style not having changed much over the years - like Fight To the Death is great but also might as well be from Vagrant Story) but it's not really surprising to me when the competition is as tough as that, plus the game itself only got 15th place in the main list. The one that made it was the main theme.

That's a strong choice from XII, admittedly, but I'd also object to the the game being ranked 15th. But what do I know, I'm not Japanese.

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.
All of the best Final Fantasy music is actually Ogre Battle music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYDI9CSJw0M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWkm4aJTkU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOH3kgAEmRk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X2CeK01NUU

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Big Bizness posted:

This is by far the best track in FF12 and is really slept on for some reason...

https://youtu.be/QOAD58HCB-c

Sounds like a big evolution of the music style of 4 or 5

oh hey i didn't turn on my ps4, wait...

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I love Uematsu’s soundtracks, but XII is the best in the series fo sho.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

In the NHK poll, tied for last place:

Fat Chocobo (FF3)

Barret (FF7)

Seven (FF Type-0)

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Fat Chocobo deserves love. Someone asked why fat chocobo was able to fly in FF14 (the model has you holding a fishing rod with a piece of cake in front of it to motivate it to fly) and was expecting some magic/aether response.

The official response was that fat chocobo just really, really wants that cake.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

I know that Yiazmat is a notorious boss for its insane HP total and how long it takes to take down, but nobody ever talks about how after you're done with 80% of the fight it turns from a moderate threat into an absolute monster that can party wipe you in two seconds. If you're going to make me suddenly lose because I wasn't doing it right, game, at least have the dignity to do it early in the fight and not make me waste 40 to 50 minutes of my life finding out that I wasn't adequately prepared. Sigh. Well, that's it for my journey through Ivalice, maybe I'll see it again someday.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

NikkolasKing posted:

Fat Chocobo (FF3)

Barret (FF7)

Seven (FF Type-0)

I feel like that must be racist somehow.

Also I forgot who Seven is, or indeed any of the Type-0 characters.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Alxprit posted:

I know that Yiazmat is a notorious boss for its insane HP total and how long it takes to take down, but nobody ever talks about how after you're done with 80% of the fight it turns from a moderate threat into an absolute monster that can party wipe you in two seconds. If you're going to make me suddenly lose because I wasn't doing it right, game, at least have the dignity to do it early in the fight and not make me waste 40 to 50 minutes of my life finding out that I wasn't adequately prepared. Sigh. Well, that's it for my journey through Ivalice, maybe I'll see it again someday.

I mostly agree, but at least you can leave the fight at any point without penalty to save.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Clarste posted:

Also I forgot who Seven is, or indeed any of the Type-0 characters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUdaWZ4FN0

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Seven is the one that looks like Lightning

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

lezard_valeth posted:

Not surprised at all that V's demographic is mostly male. That was probably the most dudebro FF till XV came around :hellyeah:

XV has the biggest female demo of any game on that list

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
VII demo is out, by the way:
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA07237_00-FFVIIREMAKETRIAL

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Aaaaaaaa

I've got 3 hours and 40 minutes left of work and travel time and LIFE IS PAIN

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

I would much rather have them use games like 4 and 6 as the inspiration for 16

I think they're overdue for a sort of "return to roots" game after how absolutely buck wild 13/15 are in terms of gameplay and tone, but I doubt that'll happen bc nostalgia-bux is what the FF7R project is about and that'd be double-dippin'

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope that at least 16 is back to low tech or steampunk. We now have had one with Ramen noodles and earth like cars, let's try a big epic with castles and poo poo again

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Motto posted:

XV has the biggest female demo of any game on that list

I really struggle to understand how people don't get that a team of guys pretty blatantly visually designed as "Pick the one you want to smooch and/or the ones you want to smooch each other", and a highly emotional, character driven story (regardless of how you feel said story was conveyed) was at least partially designed for the 'female gaze'.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
The demo TL;DP: 7R is FF7 modded into FF15's engine with UI tweaks and it's done extremely well, so if you like the combination of both* this'll be your thing.

*Combat, magic, movement, camera control, general feel and flow, it's all from FF15

e: oh hi dedicated thread for FF7R is right there. At least I can voice my wish that we'd gotten FF1 or FF3JP remade instead. Bring back the mostly medieval fantasy FF damnit. The ones hiding a strange sci-fi grimdark underbelly.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Mar 2, 2020

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

No. 1 Apartheid Fan posted:

I think they're overdue for a sort of "return to roots" game after how absolutely buck wild 13/15 are in terms of gameplay and tone, but I doubt that'll happen bc nostalgia-bux is what the FF7R project is about and that'd be double-dippin'

Isn't that what games like the Bravely series are for nowadays?

AstrialJam
Apr 27, 2013

NikkolasKing posted:

Fat Chocobo (FF3)

Barret (FF7)

Seven (FF Type-0)

That's not last place, that's #200 out of every single character in the franchise. Considering there were a few thousand characters to chose from that's not too bad.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Barret definitely isn't very popular as all other FFVII party members were in the top 100 with Cait Sith being the next lowest at #90.

Rude was also the only FFVII Turk who didn't make the list, Reno was #32, Reeve #160, Tseng #171, Elena #181. Cissnei was #190, even.

Sazh was the least popular FFXIII party member at #139, though not that much below Snow at #119.

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

Kanfy posted:

Sazh was the least popular FFXIII party member at #139

Truly, the Japanese are fundamentally unknowable.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I quite enjoyed the demo, I am sad the iconic BONG sound when pressing buttons though wasn't used/remixed.

I've been looking for it as a SMS sound for years.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

Luceo posted:

you mean the ultra stereotypical black guy wasnt well received in Japan?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
So if I snag the Season pass for 15, what will I get for it?

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

SeanBeansShako posted:

So if I snag the Season pass for 15, what will I get for it?

According the the description on PSN

quote:

Holiday Pack +
Booster Pack +
Episode Gladiolus
Episode Ignis
Episode Prompto
Multiplayer Expansion: Comrades (Membership of PlayStation Plus is required)
Gourmand Set

The Packs and Set are just items, gear, recipes, etc.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

Luceo posted:

It probably doesn't mean much, but I find the English VA for Sahz a lot better than the JP VA. JP Sahz feels a bit too much like a joke in the comedy bits, but English Sahz has the right mix of being funny but not a complete joke + acts well when he's serious.

That's all I got though :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

TommyGun85 posted:

you mean the ultra stereotypical black guy wasnt well received in Japan?

No I mean the best character in the game wasn't well-received in Japan :colbert:

ffs he had a chocobo living in his hair, if that's not enough then I guess I'm not woke enough for this world anymore