Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Hazo posted:

My co worker refuses to get a flu vaccine even though it’s completely free because she believes the myth that the vaccine can give you the flu. Me and the other new guy in our department, neither of whom are on the company insurance plan yet, tried to tell her it’s bullshit. She just pouted and got mad and said she’ll believe what she wants to believe. lol

It's important to remember that it can cause an immune response so it feels like you have the flu even though you don't, your body is just reacting to what it thinks is the flu, which it is, it's just already dead flu. Maybe that's something important to go over with her? She may have some evidence and it's normally a short sudden "flu"* immediately after getting the shot that convinces them.

*I'm going to specify I'm quoting because read the first sentence it's just symptoms from the immune response.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Sneak Lemming posted:

I'm aware that many goons won't read advice if its presented in a long form

no twinkies or ramen smdh

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Rad-daddio posted:

So, are things still really bad in China and no one is focusing on it anymore?

I saw something in my newsfeed praising China for it's quarantines and response and seeing how it's spreading in America there's no way China has everything under control like they say.

While the official Chinese numbers are almost certainly lies, it appears they have slowed down the virus enough that their hospital system is no longer imploding under the strain. Chinese doctors are going back to normal levels of doctor sleep depravation, instead of literally being worked to death.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Mithaldu posted:

China is either: Actively melting down as we speak and literally on the brink to full-on posadism that will doom the rest of the world ...

or

They do have it under control.

Also, the USA being a poo poo show of a third world country in dealing with an infectious disease allows exactly zero conclusions on china's status, especially as japan has also shipped patients out as "cured" that later were found to be still or again sick.

Also your loving president literally zeroed out funding for epidemiology and laboratory capacity at state and local levels, and called coronavirus a hoax.

welding people into their homes doesn't excuse the fact that they spent nearly a month denying the virus existed

that's why it's all over the world today

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

VikingSkull posted:

welding people into their homes doesn't excuse the fact that they spent nearly a month denying the virus existed

that's why it's all over the world today

And now, the US is doing the same.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Lambert posted:

And now, the US is doing the same.

no one in the US is doing that

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Yeah, just the president and his lackeys implicating it's nothing to worry about and the worry is all a hoax by the Democrats. And CDC not testing people and not being allowed to communicate to the public if it doesn't go through Pence.

Other than that, no obfuscation going on at all!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Lambert posted:

Yeah, just the president and his lackeys implicating it's nothing to worry about and the worry is all a hoax by the Democrats. And CDC not testing people and not being allowed to communicate to the public if it doesn't go through Pence.

that's not the same as saying it doesn't exist, which the Chinese did for a month

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

3 DONG HORSE posted:

no twinkies or ramen smdh

I was shuddering at the shelf-stable salsa. I mean, I'm lazy, but I buy storemade salsa *from the refrigerator case*. The stuff that has a bit of texture from the tomatoes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

VikingSkull posted:

Our President called it a hoax days ago

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lambert posted:

There's a non trivial number of people misquoting him exactly how he hoped they would. The conspiracy nut at work is getting a small following of people repeating that Trump said corona virus is a hoax by the democrats and it doesn't exist.

Hillary made all the videos about China's infection with free interns apparently. It's um really something to watch.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

FlamingLiberal posted:

Our President called it a hoax days ago

he called Democrats attempts to pin it on him a hoax, stop reading Politico

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

VikingSkull posted:

he called Democrats attempts to pin it on him a hoax, stop reading Politico

Yes this is what he did, but that doesn't mean other people aren't repeating it and claiming it to be fact along with actually believing it.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

pixaal posted:

Yes this is what he did, but that doesn't mean other people aren't repeating it and claiming it to be fact along with actually believing it.

look at the post I quoted

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

pixaal posted:

There's a non trivial number of people misquoting him exactly how he hoped they would. The conspiracy nut at work is getting a small following of people repeating that Trump said corona virus is a hoax by the democrats and it doesn't exist.

Hillary made all the videos about China's infection with free interns apparently. It's um really something to watch.

I didn't say that Trump called the coronavirus a hoax, though.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Trump was implying that the Democrats were playing up the fear about the virus and that his response was perfect. Of course, functionally, that doesn't seem all that different from calling the virus itself a hoax.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

Lambert posted:

I was supporting your argument that the US wasn't taking this serious as a whole.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Lambert posted:

The Chinese did, though, which is why you inexplicably replied to me with stuff about Trump.

Only one country did this, China, and that's the root cause of why the virus has spread globally.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It likely would have spread either way, it's highly unlikely a quicker response could have happened. Quarantining is mainly about not straining health care resources too much by slowing the spread.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

VikingSkull posted:

that's not the same as saying it doesn't exist, which the Chinese did for a month
While the local government denied it, you are going to be hard to show the central government tried to deny it. They sent 3 separated CDC investigation teams to Wuhan to find out what happened.

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
The easiest way to contain it would have been to identify and take action as soon as it started spreading. The Chinese took the exact opposite approach, denying it existed and as everyone knows, forced the doctor who was warning colleagues about it to to sign some bullshit document recanting what he said.

There was some spring festival in Wuhan held after the outbreak started but before it was acknowledged supposedly, which has been scrubbed from the net.

There's so much :tinfoil: and noise in its wake I don't know if this screencap is real or not

The measures they took after it was loose and killing people can be judged with some time to see how other nations' approaches fight the disease. But they royally screwed up the initial outbreak in the worst possible way.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Lambert posted:

It likely would have spread either way, it's highly unlikely a quicker response could have happened. Quarantining is mainly about not straining health care resources too much by slowing the spread.

Then what Trump is doing is fine because hey it's just gonna do virus things anyway amirite

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

VikingSkull posted:

Then what Trump is doing is fine because hey it's just gonna do virus things anyway amirite

Your reading comprehension seems terrible.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Sten Freak posted:

The Chinese

all 1 billion of them?

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

I can't wait to die

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

VikingSkull posted:

get hosed

naem
May 29, 2011

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

A Grand Egg posted:

190 pages later and no one knows whats the best way to stay safe

Im sure i called out this thread as unhelpful bullshit often.

Just coming back to see the first post of

"Ok, I have It, what do I do?'

and it killing a small town

Actually it's extremely simple to stay safe and to handle this and people have been saying this from the start, the problem is people are dumb as gently caress and want a more extravagant solution instead of the one they got. People want to panic and poo poo post about the world ending pretty much.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

stephenthinkpad posted:

This guy is an idiot. HK is one of the very few places you can pay money for a mask right now. Try to acquire a mask in the US, or Iran, you would need to use a gun to get it.

https://www.hk01.com/%E7%A4%BE%E6%9...%AB%98%E6%98%82

wait is your point "they're gouging the prices to poo poo, but by golly, you at least till CAN throw hundreds of $s and get a mask"?

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

VikingSkull posted:

Then what Trump is doing is fine

:actually: :allbuttons:

Sten Freak posted:

The measures they took after it was loose and killing people can be judged with some time to see how other nations' approaches fight the disease. But they royally screwed up the initial outbreak in the worst possible way.

Agreed.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Is Burt dead yet? I'm about twenty pages behind and I just can't wade through any more slapfights about masks.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Son of Rodney posted:

Actually it's extremely simple to stay safe and to handle this and people have been saying this from the start, the problem is people are dumb as gently caress and want a more extravagant solution instead of the one they got. People want to panic and poo poo post about the world ending pretty much.

If you live in a major city you should just expect to be exposed to the virus at this point unless you plan to completely retreat from society. Perfect hygeine won't save you.

Bloopsy
Jun 1, 2006

you have been visited by the Tasty Garlic Bread. you will be blessed by having good Garlic Bread in your life time, but only if you comment "ty garlic bread" in the thread below

poverty goat posted:

If you live in a major city you should just expect to be exposed to the virus at this point unless you plan to completely retreat from society. Perfect hygeine won't save you.

I live in the center of a "major" city, take public transit, and work in a cube farm of 200 people constantly hacking up a lung and rubbing their noses before opening doors. I just assume myself and all my coworkers already have it.

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

orange baby hands literally called it a hoax

Hyzenth1ay
Oct 24, 2008

VikingSkull posted:

The Chinese did, though, which is why you inexplicably replied to me with stuff about Trump.

Only one country did this, China, and that's the root cause of why the virus has spread globally.

true

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
i, uhh, i don't think trump knows what the word hoax means.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

History will recognize that trump's greatest accomplishment was setting the stage for the coronavirus to decimate our nonproductive, republican-leaning senior population, setting the stage for another half century of prosperity

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Jesus Christ.

https://twitter.com/JuddLegum/status/1234536619270688768

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Hyzenth1ay posted:

orange baby hands literally called it a hoax

specifically, that it was being blown out of proportion by the democrats

which implies he thinks the risk is overblown

which implies he thinks that yes the disease itself is a hoax

so gently caress anyone who says he didn't call it a hoax

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

poverty goat posted:

History will recognize that trump's greatest accomplishment was setting the stage for the coronavirus to decimate our nonproductive, republican-leaning senior population

He'll also get a footnote that he died from it and kids will mock him for centuries