Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING MARCH TWENTIETH
This poll is closed.
DOOM 39 13.36%
ANIMAL CROSSING 41 14.04%
DOOM ANIMAL CROSSING 84 28.77%
Melinda Megamelons and her gang of busty felons (Inc Bowsette) 56 19.18%
hotgirl69 72 24.66%
Total: 292 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

no, a direct sequel to quake 2, quake 1 is bad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There was a direct sequel to Quake 2, Quake 4

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Help Im Alive posted:

A character that plays like pokemon trainer except his pokemon are all failed platformers mascots mite b cool

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Help Im Alive posted:

A character that plays like pokemon trainer except his pokemon are all failed platformers mascots mite b cool

What could pawssibly go wrong?

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

haveblue posted:

There was a direct sequel to Quake 2, Quake 4

yeah but a good one instead

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

apologies in advance to the march thread but with super tuesday tomorrow the election train is off the tracks and the tracks have melted and along with them my brain so my posts will be even shittier than you might have thought possible from now until someone delivers me a merciful death with the thrust of a misericorde

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Stux posted:

you already got that! Let me have my turn!

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Does the Quake franchise obey the same rule as Star Trek movies

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i bought doom 3 when it came out but it was too scary and i couldn't make it past the first level :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

You're bad and your opinions are bad.

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OLmDh6Fyy8

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

i bought doom 3 and farcry and then when they wouldnt run on my very bad computer i bought a PCI fx5200 and they still wouldnt run and also the card eventually melted itself

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

You're bad and your opinions are bad.

also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OLmDh6Fyy8

quake 1 suffers from being retrofitted from another type of game into an fps, its enemies suck to shoot and fight and the map design isnt aware of the fact that the engine is broken and lets you go insanely fast. thankfully quake 2 fixes all of this.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

FirstAidKite posted:

At the same time, who wanted Mallow from SMRPG over any other SMRPG choice?

me! though i think you could pick literally any oc from smrpg and they'd be good

al-azad
May 28, 2009

haveblue posted:

Does the Quake franchise obey the same rule as Star Trek movies

No because Quake 1 is like the purest 3D FPS, basically the true 3D sequel to Doom, and Quake 3 was the king of deathmatch games for years. Quake 2 and 4 are alright but it's very obvious in their design that id was chasing fad designs of their time instead of being trailblazers.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Cowcaster posted:

apologies in advance to the march thread but with super tuesday tomorrow the election train is off the tracks and the tracks have melted and along with them my brain so my posts will be even shittier than you might have thought possible from now until someone delivers me a merciful death with the thrust of a misericorde

you just gotta post in cspam

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

bernie

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

quake 1 suffers from being retrofitted from another type of game into an fps, its enemies suck to shoot and fight and the map design isnt aware of the fact that the engine is broken and lets you go insanely fast. thankfully quake 2 fixes all of this.

All the RPG stuff was scrapped early in its development. The final game is the purest FPS, so pure there isn't even an interact button you just ram your face into everything. It follows Doom 2's progression of design by demanding the player learn the layout of levels and memorize locations of power ups and later levels are all about maintaining a fighting retreat to avoid being overwhelmed.

Like Doom 2016 is far more a reboot of Quake than it is Doom. Quake 2 is like "what if id made a LithTech engine game" which again is fine but not as pure as Quake.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

All the RPG stuff was scrapped early in its development. The final game is the purest FPS, so pure there isn't even an interact button you just ram your face into everything. It follows Doom 2's progression of design by demanding the player learn the layout of levels and memorize locations of power ups and later levels are all about maintaining a fighting retreat to avoid being overwhelmed.

Like Doom 2016 is far more a reboot of Quake than it is Doom. Quake 2 is like "what if id made a LithTech engine game" which again is fine but not as pure as Quake.

its not the purest fps because the guns suck and the enemies are unfun to fight and the map design is atrocious. quake 2 is far more """""pure""""" because its about blasting through the level using rocket jumps and gibbing enemies who engage in ranged firefights.

doom 2016 is a reboot of doom because it doesnt have circle or strafe jumping to build up infinite speed.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

doesn't the new Doom seem like they're incorporating Quake lore from one of the trailers? I didn't play Quake so I dunno

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

As someone who isn't going to get the FF7 Remake, is the plot from the leaked version of the game worth reading through for all the changes it makes or is it mostly just to make it less nonsensical and more coherent

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

its not the purest fps because the guns suck and the enemies are unfun to fight and the map design is atrocious. quake 2 is far more """""pure""""" because its about blasting through the level using rocket jumps and gibbing enemies who engage in ranged firefights.

doom 2016 is a reboot of doom because it doesnt have circle or strafe jumping to build up infinite speed.

Quake 2 doesn't even have pain state, fighting enemies is like shooting a brick wall until HP = 0 and it slumps over. Quake 2's enemies are all the same shade of lumpy humanoid, give me a loving Ogre any day over slow ranged guy 1-5.

And lol I can't believe you're using mastery of an engine's quirks as a negative to the game, what next you're going to say Tribes was bad because the skiing wasn't an intended feature? Get outta here.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

As someone who isn't going to get the FF7 Remake, is the plot from the leaked version of the game worth reading through for all the changes it makes or is it mostly just to make it less nonsensical and more coherent

As someone who doesn't know, you should not read it because why do you even cares

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Super Smash Bros Brawl is actually the best game in the series because the random tripping stopped the abuse of wave dashing, an unintended feature.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Khanstant posted:

As someone who doesn't know, you should not read it because why do you even cares

Because I'm hoping for something along the lines of Tidus kicking a bomb thinking its a Blitzball and exploding, you weirdo

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

al-azad posted:

No because Quake 1 is like the purest 3D FPS, basically the true 3D sequel to Doom, and Quake 3 was the king of deathmatch games for years. Quake 2 and 4 are alright but it's very obvious in their design that id was chasing fad designs of their time instead of being trailblazers.

So it's the exact opposite rule then

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

Quake 2 doesn't even have pain state, fighting enemies is like shooting a brick wall until HP = 0 and it slumps over. Quake 2's enemies are all the same shade of lumpy humanoid, give me a loving Ogre any day over slow ranged guy 1-5.

And lol I can't believe you're using mastery of an engine's quirks as a negative to the game, what next you're going to say Tribes was bad because the skiing wasn't an intended feature? Get outta here.

quake 2 enemies do react to being hit? and also most of the time you are just gibbing them immediately.

the second part is you not reading what i said.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
quake 1 and quake 2 are the names of my rear end cheeks

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Animal Crossing, FF7, and Sakura Wars are all coming out within the span of a month and I don't think my wallet can take it

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

quake 2 enemies do react to being hit? and also most of the time you are just gibbing them immediately.

the second part is you not reading what i said.

I read what you said and you're downplaying how much mastery of the system Quake rewards by abusing its physics. Strafe jumping is cool and good and Quake's levels are built vertically around your mastery of moving as fast as possible.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

al-azad posted:

I read what you said and you're downplaying how much mastery of the system Quake rewards by abusing its physics. Strafe jumping is cool and good and Quake's levels are built vertically around your mastery of moving as fast as possible.

yes which is why doom 2016 is doom and not quake, and quake 1 doesnt fundamentally understand quite how broken its own engine is like quake 2, they are not intended mechanics. this is exemplified by carmack himself wanting to remove it even as late as quake 3. but by quake 2 map designers realised how much pure speed you could build up and the levels were much more condusive to flying around at ridiculous speeds.

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Instead of gaming today I think I'm gonna go try and feel the bern if the lines aren't already too long to let everyone in

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Mar 2, 2020

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Because I'm hoping for something along the lines of Tidus kicking a bomb thinking its a Blitzball and exploding, you weirdo

I just read the whole thing and he does this no less than 3 times! What the heck is he even doing here lmao, and as a human-chocobo hybrid no less

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

SeXReX posted:

Instead of gaming today I think I'm gonna go try and feel the bern if the lines aren't already too long to let everyone in

someone gave paid me in drugs last year to design them a "feel the bern" pin with a rainbow and stuff and I am only know realizing it was a bernie thing lol

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

as someone who is going to get it, i'm not reading leaks

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

How is Doom 3 anyway? I can't play any of the modern ones because detailed graphic violence makes me legit queasy, but I remember going through most of 3 with a friend and we were kind of bored of stuff spawning behind us. All I remember was that and hitting stuff with a flashlight or something.

It's Doom's take on the original Half-Life. Impressive when it came out, less so nowadays but still worth a playthrough even with its flaws in mind since that type of atmospheric linear action horror shooter isn't really being made these days.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

remember when the doom 3 expansion added a gravity gun

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I ignored the vote telling me to play Sekiro (I have to psyche myself up for that last boss, I can't get past the second stage of four) and spent the weekend on Dying Light: The following and the main campaign which I started in 2015. I'm really blown away by this game, it's really fantastic. Honestly one of the best games of the last few years and one of the best FPS's I've ever played. I finally got good and am no longer dying instantly, again and again and losing all of my survivor points. I still haven't knowingly killed a feral (or whatever they're called) because jesus christ. I can lob grenades at them or shoot them forever and they just do not loving die. I decided that instead of eating poo poo on side missions again and again I should advance the story, so I'm 63% done with the main game and 33% done with the following, which I started this weekend. Driving around into zombies and levelling up as a result, is fantastic. What a good loving game. Really looking forward to dying light 2. Another tip. If you play it safe at night and leap from building to building in old town, while riling up the ferals once in a while then escaping them, and then just chill on a rooftop until the end of the night, you can easily get about 10k survivor points, and if you die at night you don't lose them. What not to do: get in a fight with a feral, die right after dawn breaks, and lose 10000000 survivor points.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Stux posted:

yes which is why doom 2016 is doom and not quake, and quake 1 doesnt fundamentally understand quite how broken its own engine is like quake 2, they are not intended mechanics. this is exemplified by carmack himself wanting to remove it even as late as quake 3. but by quake 2 map designers realised how much pure speed you could build up and the levels were much more condusive to flying around at ridiculous speeds.

And you're saying this is a bad thing but no, it's what makes Quake stand out.

The thing about Quake that Quake 2 completely diverges from is in the design philosophies of its enemies. Doom (and by extension Quake) are all about throwing you into geometrically complex rooms with spongey monsters that control the playing field. The ogre's grenades bounce around corners which eliminates a Doom strategy of strafing around corners. The hitscanners are coupled with a variety of new and faster melee enemies to corner you. The fiend replaces the pinky as a spongey enemy but this one is faster and can leap platforms. The vore is a super revenant and shambler an arch-vile stand-in, both demand you know how to react and move fast as gently caress.

This is where Quake 2 fails. It's the start of shooters as a contemporary single player product and the result is everything is real streamlined. Quake is the last of the old school arcadey level-based design of shooters** where you're plopped down into a weird rear end map with powerups and poo poo.

This is why Doom 2016 is far more Quake than Doom. Because Quake is 3D Doom. Instead of bunny hopping to light speed you just abuse the instant weapon switch and glory kill teleport through platforms. And Doom 2016 understands the importance of area control through its enemies, like the hellknight is basically a fiend.

**Officially I think that reward belongs to Blood but Blood is a game that will instantly punish you for peaking your head around a corner too fast.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Mar 2, 2020

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Stux posted:

quake 1 suffers from being retrofitted from another type of game into an fps
Eh, from what's actually known it likely was the other way round, ie they were trying to graft "RPG-style elements" (whatever that means) on their FPS engine and eventually dropped that. There's no real documented indication the earlier 3D Quake would've been all that RPG-like (especially with Romero saying Daikatana was what he originally envisioned for Quake mechanics-wise) and people are likely confused by the earlier blurb of "Quake: The Fight For Justice" in the commander keen trilogy, which was a sidescroller. It's kinda like Bullfrog naming several of their projects Creation before finding the final titles, which doesn't mean Creation the submarine game was the same project as Creation the flying god game (eventually Magic Carpet) or Creation the isometric god game (Populous).

Chev fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Mar 2, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
I would say if you're partway through the Sekiro final boss you're good to drop it, as there is nothing fun left there, but I forced myself through it anyway so I can't really talk.

All this quake and doom talk is good, but let's speak to some real fpses now: lawbreakers and the rise of the triad remake