Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

Bloody Pancreas
Feb 21, 2008

Gonna need a new thread poll with Jessie and Barret as options

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tall Tale Teller
May 20, 2003
Grave? Shovel! Let's go.

I was hoping the demo would make me like Barrett.

Nope. He’s still a dumb character, even after all these years. I’m bored of “tough rear end in a top hat” but at least he’s not a Mr. T stereotype as much.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

ymgve posted:

FFVII remake demo got me wanting more - what's the best way to play FFVII these days? Native install on Steam, some mods, or the PS4 version?

PS4 or PC is fine. With the speed up hacks either way.

On PC you can mod it to use the battle models on the overworld which I like. You can also mod in advent children models but it doesn't match the game's style.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
The demo is what I wanted really, a full HD reimagining of a rapidly aging classic. If it keeps up this level of polish all the way through its a winner.

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
If you care about portability but don't have a Switch but do have a PSP (which I'm sure applies to more than just me) the PSP downloadable version is also quite good.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

Nope. He’s still a dumb character, even after all these years. I’m bored of “tough rear end in a top hat” but at least he’s not a Mr. T stereotype as much.

I for one am disappointed he wasn't voiced by Mr. T.

Mostly though probably no one on the dev team remembers Mr. T.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Well, the demo has me wanting much more. Now to sit and wait. At least the delay put it right before by birthday, and I've already locked in getting it as a present.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The full game comes out right after my birthday. All I want is this and a big bag of weed

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

precision posted:

The full game comes out right after my birthday. All I want is this and a big bag of weed

nice

^ spoilers from original game btw

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I'm off on holiday the week its out, coming back on the Friday and got a long weekend because of the bank holidays, and i get the Tuesday off since its my birthday.

There'll probably be weed too

:feelsgood:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Pro tip. Go into options and set the camera distance in battle as far as possible. It doesn't make a huge difference but it's definitely better.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Kicked loving rear end, can't wait for the full game. The combat is definitely still in the same spirit, but much more involved right from the word go. It takes a while for the combat to get interesting in the original.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Really enjoyed the demo. Basically all I want from a ff7 remake.

Combat system works better than XV, although I find it a bit frustrating that you can queue up an action like using a potion, only to get hit and lose your AT bar but not do anything. I guess I can just use abilities a bit slower and run away from the enemy before healing, but that just seems lame. Would be cooler IMO if you could keep the pace flowing faster, but we'll see how it plays out with more complex battles.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
About halfway through Barrett's elevator speech, I went from lukewarm on the voice actor and decision to have him act like Barrett X to being fully on board. By the end of it he literally sounds like a preacher, and Clouds "get help" is perfectly delivered

They really really did good on the voice cast so far

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Played through again on Classic

I wish Classic weren't tied to Easy because it's definitely too easy, but it's also interesting because you still can control who is targeting who and activate triangle modes etc, so I'd really like the option to at least try Classic with Normal difficulty

After a battle this time, Barret sung the victory theme lol

How many Moogle collectibles are there? I only found 1

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

precision posted:

Seriously that was so good

By the end I'd really gotten into the rhythm of the combat and there's so much room for depth later on, and the controls are super intuitive. Much better than FF15

Good to hear this, a combat system with some depth is essential in JRPGs, unfortunately XV had none. Downloaded the demo for tonight.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

EvilBlackRailgun posted:

You get an extra little cutscene if you pick the 20 minute option.

It’s the Sephiroth in the flames cutscene.

Thanks. I must have misread. I thought it was the other option. I'm gonna go play it again.

This demo is everything I hoped for. I am so hype for the full release.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Very rude to drop a demo on a Monday morning imo

Big Taint
Oct 19, 2003

SettingSun posted:

Very rude to drop a demo on a Monday morning imo

Just call in and say you think you have coronavirus.

GoGoGadget
Apr 29, 2006

precision posted:

Played through again on Classic

I wish Classic weren't tied to Easy because it's definitely too easy, but it's also interesting because you still can control who is targeting who and activate triangle modes etc, so I'd really like the option to at least try Classic with Normal difficulty

After a battle this time, Barret sung the victory theme lol

How many Moogle collectibles are there? I only found 1

I found two

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
So I just started a second playthrough and is it just me or are there a few subtle notes of One Winged Angel during the music when Aerith runs away from the mako pipe and drops some flowers?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Elephant Ambush posted:

So I just started a second playthrough and is it just me or are there a few subtle notes of One Winged Angel during the music when Aerith runs away from the mako pipe and drops some flowers?

The increased focus on that part of the scene makes me wonder if later there will be a flashback that shows she was running because she actually saw something

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

LORE

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
What the gently caress is a moogle medal?

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Did anyone else catch Barret calling Cloud a "stamp" or something. I think it happened like twice

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Finally something that isn't loveless

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Nihilarian posted:

Did anyone else catch Barret calling Cloud a "stamp" or something. I think it happened like twice

Check the poster

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Elephant Ambush posted:

What the gently caress is a moogle medal?

Kheldarn posted:

Also, there are apparently Moogle Medals you can find, and finding them all unlocks the Deep Dive - Final Fantasy VII Remake movie.

https://www.reddit.com/r/FFVIIRemake/comments/fccf5x/anyone_else_got_this_whats_this_for/

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

I found four moogle medals :shrug:

I love the chatter between Barret and Cloud, especially once you get into the tail laser phase of it when Barret starts getting sarcastic.

And I'm all in on Barret. It really comes off like he's a WWE wrestler cutting a promo to try and impress Cloud in the elevator. A few snippets of convo seem like there's 'regular Barret' and his 'super tough Avalanche leader act'.

And paraphrasing a bit:
"So what're you, twenty-something?"
"First. Soldier ranks don't go up to the twenties.
"I meant your age."
:allears:

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009

Oh so THAT's what a Stamp dog is. I was confused when Barret said that.

LadyPictureShow posted:

I found four moogle medals :shrug:

I love the chatter between Barret and Cloud, especially once you get into the tail laser phase of it when Barret starts getting sarcastic.

And I'm all in on Barret. It really comes off like he's a WWE wrestler cutting a promo to try and impress Cloud in the elevator. A few snippets of convo seem like there's 'regular Barret' and his 'super tough Avalanche leader act'.

And paraphrasing a bit:
"So what're you, twenty-something?"
"First. Soldier ranks don't go up to the twenties.
"I meant your age."
:allears:
"Didya see me in action??"
"Musta missed it".

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Spermando posted:

Oh so THAT's what a Stamp dog is. I was confused when Barret said that.
https://twitter.com/imranzomg/status/1234455257062629378

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Demo is short but... I'm pretty hyped, pre-ordered :woop: (both ff7 and nioh 2)

They changed a pretty big thing from the original so I dunno how they'll deal with the environmental message.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.

Tall Tale Teller posted:

What character changes were you looking for? I'm interested.
Better combat lines?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Barret, you beautiful bear wearing a marshmallow.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

There was one point where Barret looked at Cloud very obviously "Did you see how cool I was?!", and then looking somewhat disappointed when Cloud apparently couldn't give less of a poo poo if he tried. That was pretty good.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

That’s really good.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Thanks. Is this in multiple playthroughs? I swear I looked everywhere both times.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

The demo also runs noticeably better on vanilla PS4 than FFXV did, so kudos there.

Although I might eat those words once we see one of the real big outdoor segments.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
Tempted to play the demo but I wanna go into the full game fresh so I think I'll just download it for the theme.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit

arisu posted:

Tempted to play the demo but I wanna go into the full game fresh so I think I'll just download it for the theme.

It's pretty short and not the kind of that you play more than one time, just enjoy the 30 minutes of gameplay