Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

IOwnCalculus posted:

The car is even better because apparently it makes Ferrari so mad they sent a cease and desist about it.

haha :allears:

fukkin ferrari

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

IOwnCalculus posted:

The car is even better because apparently it makes Ferrari so mad they sent a cease and desist about it.

Debadge it and call it Ferdinarri

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

KakerMix posted:

Debadge it and call it Ferdinarri

Lamborghini badges..... And just to add some salt to the wound, get cheap ebay lambo door kit.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I was reading about how Aston Martin pulled out of the hyper car WEC category and came across a video explaining how the difference between a hyper car and a race car is the child like allure people have to hyper cars because it leaves your imagination going wild. It's about the idea of driving it vs the numbers, while a race car is the other way around. On this principle, I can understand why Ferrari doesn't want to have to quantify it's products or ruin the image it has. But other than that they can eat my entire rear end, Porsche is more my poster brand anyways.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

um excuse me posted:

I was reading about how Aston Martin pulled out of the hyper car WEC category and came across a video explaining how the difference between a hyper car and a race car is the child like allure people have to hyper cars because it leaves your imagination going wild. It's about the idea of driving it vs the numbers, while a race car is the other way around. On this principle, I can understand why Ferrari doesn't want to have to quantify it's products or ruin the image it has. But other than that they can eat my entire rear end, Porsche is more my poster brand anyways.

I can understand why they are whining too but they can also go gently caress themselves. Ferarri is nothing special anymore, F-40 days are over and everyone can make some hyper hybrid car with sub 3 second 0-60 times and cost a million dollars.
They are Corvettes for the next class level up from Corvettes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

IOwnCalculus posted:

That turned out to be a lie.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Darchangel posted:

That turned out to be a lie.

It's an extremely believable lie

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

um excuse me posted:

Glickenhaus called them out about pulling out and it was less than completely civil (and it owned).

quote:

I feel sorry for those who bought Aston at the IPO [Initial Public Offering] price. I feel the salaries taken by Aston executives for abominable performance is obscene. They should do the honorable thing, resign and return the money to the company.

I am disgusted by their whining that got the ACO to graciously change the rules to accommodate Astons engine blowing up our Alfa engines and causing Toyota to have to spend more money changing theirs and then saying Bye Bye. Now they are blaming convergence. Pathetic.

They should look in the mirror If they really want to see who to blame. Their infantile behavior has pushed us back and cost us money but unlike Aston; Toyota, ByKolles and us will be there next season with great and interesting cars and we will race hard and honorably.

Some people piss their pants at the gates of hell while some of us don’t back down.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Hypercar was always a stupid idea. The cars were going to be restricted to 800hp so the Aston Martin had to junk it’s hybrid system, and all the cars would also be BoP’d so even if you spent $200 million developing a really fast one it would just get gimped with added weight and air restrictors.

Meanwhile you can make an LMDh also look like your road cars and spend a tenth of that.

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Seriously if you’re going to make a halo hypercar just loving make a duplicate F1 car or what have you and charge the dumb Saudi prince twice the price of whatever your costs are for operating an actual F1 team because billionaires are dumb and deserve to be parted with their money.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

New binky is up and oh boy did they get me real good. I was pissed at the engine choice all through the episode :v:

Dave Inc.
Nov 26, 2007
Let's have a drink!

Suburban Dad posted:

New binky is up and oh boy did they get me real good. I was pissed at the engine choice all through the episode :v:

Yes that was damned cruel, but such a relief.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Suburban Dad posted:

Dave Inc. posted:

Yes that was damned cruel, but such a relief.

Hard Agree with you both. That bit was done well.

I put on a playlist of the series from episode 1, and it's pretty great how much production value went up, and how HILARIOUSLY inaccurate their initial time estimates were. Also, in reference to the above spoilers, they talked about it being turbocharged in literally episode 1, and mention it about once per episode after that, so the about-face was pretty great. They do say in an early episode (when they're first putting the engine up to the shell) how they're going to have to go with a smaller turbo because the old one is old and huge.

Edit: and a link for the lazy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN8DYQIuW9Y

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Ă¢Ñ€Ă¸ ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø,
трø ĂÂżĂÂľ трø ĂÂżĂÂľĂ»Ă¾ÑÂĂºø

Elviscat posted:

Lol, holy poo poo do I retract my previous statement, with prejudice, God drat.

The Maltese falcon it is not.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Suburban Dad posted:

I told my wife I was done watching them if they were really going NA.

Crisis averted

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I figured it was a giant joke as soon as I saw the dished pistons, but then again, looking at the Carrillo catalog, every 3S piston they make is dished for power-adders. Suppose they could have ordered something bespoke if they really wanted to.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Bigger clue was there was no way they would have spent so much time dealing with the packaging nightmare fitting the heat exchanger for the intercooler, along with the radiator and AC, nor all the work on the exhaust manifold.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

BuckyDoneGun posted:

Bigger clue was there was no way they would have spent so much time dealing with the packaging nightmare fitting the heat exchanger for the intercooler, along with the radiator and AC, nor all the work on the exhaust manifold.

Yeah, that was my point of confusion. They spent an enormous amount of time and effort fitting in the intercooler. It seemed really weird that they would then ditch the turbo so cavalierly. I just figured they knew more than I did, so whatever.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011
Just rewatching it again, and their "sump spacer" is a full on block girdle, isn't it? I don't know how sturdy those engines are, but that points at them shooting for a decent amount of power. They've said its a road car and not a race car though, so who knows how much they're going for.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

boxen posted:

Just rewatching it again, and their "sump spacer" is a full on block girdle, isn't it? I don't know how sturdy those engines are, but that points at them shooting for a decent amount of power. They've said its a road car and not a race car though, so who knows how much they're going for.

Those engines are pretty legit for holding power but the girdle + a turbo that can support 600Kw? This aint gonna be a 250Kw and done kinda deal. I'm willing to bet 400Kw+

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Or 300 and leave it for longevity. That would still be terrifying on a mini.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Terrifying is far too weak of a word. A friend of mine had a Mini with a Mazda B6T in it that was terrifying. I know Binky is going to weigh more, but 300+kW as opposed to ~120? Someone start a GoFundMe to get those lads a supply of new underpants.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Elmnt80 posted:

Or 300 and leave it for longevity. That would still be terrifying on a mini.

Not terrifying, cheeky ;)

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Only thing that I ever rode in that was actually terrifying was a Jeep CJ with a 350 swap. That much torque/hp in a flip prone vehicle does not promote confidence at all.

It was the only time I've told a driver to chill the gently caress out or let me out :v:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

The two utterly pants making GBS threads in feqr cars Ive been in were made by the same person

First was a FJ20 turbo swapped 1978 Corolla wagon with 300+Kw at the treads. loving thing lit like a burnout car in fifth. The ONLY break in the black lines was the gearshift all the way past 250kph. Dear Lord just.....

Oh and his current hosed up bit of pants making GBS threads terror? Tesla S driveline swapped Mini Moke. AWD. Its safer with the traction control off as it just smokes all four. With TC on? You are just HURLED in whatever way the steering is pointing.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tesla S driveline swapped Mini Moke

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Tesla S driveline swapped Mini Moke. AWD.

I need to see this deathtrap. pictures, video, crude crayon drawing on a restaurant placemat, something.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Oh and his current hosed up bit of pants making GBS threads terror? Tesla S driveline swapped Mini Moke. AWD. Its safer with the traction control off as it just smokes all four. With TC on? You are just HURLED in whatever way the steering is pointing.

Uh, we're going to need to see this.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Uh, we're going to need to see this.

I'll see what I can come up with

Have a 2CV he converted to EV for now

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Those engines are pretty legit for holding power but the girdle + a turbo that can support 600Kw? This aint gonna be a 250Kw and done kinda deal. I'm willing to bet 400Kw+

Don't need a girdle to run big power on a 3SGTE, what you do need is either a late model 3SGE block, or a 5SFE one as it's not uncommon to crack some 3sgte blocks near the water channel area under higher power. Looks like they used a gen2 3sgte from the valve cover and oil filter location, which aren't so prone to cracking. but most people will go down the 5sgte route for big power.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
so I came across this story the other day: Have You Heard of The Special Forces Ghost Car That Operated in Bosnia

quote:

Ghost Car: In the early 1990s, a former Danish special forces soldier felt a calling from God to go to Bosnia and provide humanitarian aid during the Bosnian War.

With the help of the US Army, he was able to fulfil that mission, driving through dangerous conditions to deliver relief to citizens of the war-torn country with only his Bible and a tricked-out Camaro – the Ghost Car.

In the 1980s, the country of Yugoslavia underwent major changes in its economy and its politics. The country was always an uneasy grouping of different ethnic peoples.

By the early 1990s, the terrible economic situation and the distrust between the ethnic groups descended into all-out war.

NATO nations dispatched troops to try to keep the peace and help the innocent citizens.

Helge Meyer approached the US Army commander in Bosnia with a bold plan. With the help of US Army engineers, he would modify a 1979 Chevrolet Camaro and drive it into the war zone in order to provide aid to the citizens there.

Amazingly, the US Army agreed to help with this bold plan leading to the creation of the Ghost Car.

The entire car was stripped. Armor was applied to the exterior and to the underside of the car. A mine-clearing blade was fixed on the front. Run-flat tires were mounted on the wheels.

The rear window was removed and replaced with a steel plate. The car was painted matte-black with a special paint that absorbs infra-red light.

Body-heat detectors and night vision cameras were added. The 5.7-liter V8 engine was tuned to 220hp (up from 185 hp stock).

A nitrous tank could boost the output to 440hp when Meyer really needed to get out of a jam. A ground-to-air radio kept him in contact with air support.

Additionally, Meyer was provided with bullet-proof Kevlar armor and a helmet, which proved useful when the helmet took a bullet that could have killed him.

With all of the modifications, the car could still accelerate to 125 mph in 13 seconds. And it could still carry 400kg of food and supplies.

The former member of Denmark’s Jćgerkorpset (similar to the US Army’s Delta Force) used knowledge of the Bosnian backroads, his faith and a fearless determination to carry out all of his missions unarmed.

The 21st Personnel Replacement Battalion Commander LTC John S. Richard wrote in 1994 that Meyer was “one-of-a-kind” and that “he is, without fail, someone who can get the mission done with a genuine concern for those involved.”

While giving a talk to soldiers about his experiences in Bosnia, he ended the speech by saying that if God had a “Rambo” on Earth, it would probably be him. That statement got him the nickname “God’s Rambo.”

Meyer’s and Camaro’s missions were astonishing, making deliveries during night and day. When not on duty, the car was very good at hiding from the police and army. Like something out of a James Bond movie, Meyer was involved in many car chases and even took a bullet to the head. But always managed to get away thanks to his timely shots into the V8 and great knowledge of back roads, and Camaro’s ability to be invisible on radars working perfectly.

Meyer still has the Ghost Car, though now it is painted orange. He still drives it and has put over 1,000 km on it with the original engine. If you can read German or Danish, then Meyer has written a book on his experiences, called Gottes Rambo. The title, God’s Rambo.

In one excerpt, he describes coming across a family in the ruined city of Vares, in 1994:

“In the middle of ruins I examined the surrounding area with my detector, which reacts to body heat. It displayed body heat in the opposite ruin. I saw candlelight through the boarded up door.

I knocked and the candle went out immediately. After knocking again and saying, “Mr. Meyer U.S. Army!” an old man opened the door and asked me inside. A young woman was present with her newborn baby.

Everyone was dirty and clearly malnourished, and I got soap, water, food, and baby food from my Camaro. The young mother washed herself and her child and gave the newborn something to eat. We sat around the candle silent for a while. The old man read carefully in his Koran and I in my Bible, which is my constant companion.

Then I pulled back into my car, was about to slip into my sleeping bag when someone knocked on my window. It was the young woman who put her baby on my bare chest.

I will never forget this moving moment in my life.”

Soldiers at the Rhein-Main Air Base in Germany raised more than $12,000 and purchased clothes, diapers, toys, and medicine which Meyer helped distribute to the people of Bosnia.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Automotive Insanity > Post awesome AI car poo poo: God's Rambo, in my Camaro.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
What the gently caress, that's the most 80s action movie story I think I've ever seen.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

How is that not a movie yet, that seems like something hollywood would have gobbled the gently caress up.

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan
I can’t find his book in English but he has a pretty interesting website of the same name. there are some very interesting stories in it, like this one where he organizes a 100km “psychological march” in ‘93 with a bunch of American GIs in Denmark:

thanks, google translate posted:

After the soldiers saw my feet, they were sure that the tour was over. The old man give up. And then I got the punishment for my big mouth....

...I simply glue the fallen nail back on with super glue. At first the pain was hellish, but after an hour it was all over. I glued the two red raw wounds on my feet with Ducctape, otherwise I wouldn't have had a chance to continue the last 50 km. In addition, the next day, 15 km with a gas mask had to be done directly through the water. Then the remaining 35 km through the sand dunes.

He asked me if I was the one who would always go to the Balkan war regions for the base. The one with the great Camaro. When I confirmed that, he asked me if I would be interested in giving a lecture in his unit.

“the one with the great Camero”

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Oh, HELL yes.
That's a rubber duck on the scoop, isn't it? Awesome.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

As much as I am against the glorification of military units and macho oo-rah, I will just say that Jægerkorpset. Do. Not. gently caress. Around.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Mar 5, 2020

snugglz
Nov 12, 2004
moist sod for your hogan

Darchangel posted:

That's a rubber duck on the scoop, isn't it? Awesome.

apparently there were several. from the Drivetribe YT vid:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I'll see what I can come up with

Have a 2CV he converted to EV for now

2EV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
That Camaro story is just badass to the max.