Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Lambert posted:

You need to got to about :flags (without the space the forums software adds) and disable "Hardware Media Key Handling"

Doesn't seem to do the trick, unfortunately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Some broken brain there, the occlusion API is necessary to stop the bullshit farming Facebook likes.

VisibilityState = hidden has been there for ages, and is useful for lowering resource usage in background tabs, YouTube uses to stop auto-playing videos. Also see timer resolution dropping in background tabs, and features like Canvas painting doesn't work at all when in the background as the browser discards the GPU resources.

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 19, 2019

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

MrMoo posted:

Some broken brain there, the occlusion API is necessary to stop the bullshit farming Facebook likes.
What?

Why would that be Chrome's responsibility to stop and in what world does that farming not simply move to a browser that doesn't implement an occlusion API?

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

MrMoo posted:

VisibilityState = hidden has been there for ages, and is useful for lowering resource usage in background tabs, YouTube uses to stop auto-playing videos. Also see timer resolution dropping in background tabs, and features like Canvas painting doesn't work at all when in the background as the browser discards the GPU resources.

The specific issue is the new change that attempts to apply this not only to background (i.e. non focused) tabs but the occlusion of a focused tab with another window, and how google deployed this change to prod version as part of A/B Testing.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Ghostlight posted:

What?

Why would that be Chrome's responsibility to stop and in what world does that farming not simply move to a browser that doesn't implement an occlusion API?

It falls under clickjacking and protecting your privacy. You generally don’t want websites randomly clicking buttons on your behalf.

Stormgale posted:

The specific issue is the new change that attempts to apply this not only to background (i.e. non focused) tabs but the occlusion of a focused tab with another window, and how google deployed this change to prod version as part of A/B Testing.

The 2017 reference for page visibility includes this as a feature, I guess Google only implemented it recently via the new occlusion API:

https://www.w3.org/TR/page-visibility-2/

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

I design responsive emails for my job. When I preview local HTML files, I manually resize my browser window to see the mobile view. This stopped working in Chrome a while ago, but works fine in Firefox and IE.

Does anyone know why this might be? There are no issues with the media query portions of my CSS, as I have not changed anything since it did work in Chrome, and as I said it works fine in other browsers and when emails are delivered to mobile devices.

My version is: 78.0.3904.108 (Official Build) (64-bit)

I thought it could be an issue with extensions, but I disabled the only one I added recently (View Image Info) but it had no effect. Here's what I currently have installed:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Dec 9, 2019

stevewm
May 10, 2005
Does it work if you use the "Toggle Mobile View" button in the Developer Console?

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

stevewm posted:

Does it work if you use the "Toggle Mobile View" button in the Developer Console?

Yes - that displays the mobile version of my file.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Devtools includes a button to switch rotation of the emulated display device, and a suite of options of devices with screen sizes. The default is “responsive” which should match your requirements.

https://developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/device-mode#limitations

MrMoo fucked around with this message at 20:20 on Dec 25, 2019

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I don't know if it's just me, but I've been having a problem with my bookmarks in Chrome. Normally when you add something to the bookmarks bar, it displays the logo and title/tagline of whatever you added. Lately, it just shows the full url. I can't figure out how to fix this, even after googling extensively. It's especially annoying if you have multiple bookmarks from the same site, since you can no longer tell them apart at a glance.

Anyone have a solution?

e: I'm running version 79.0.3945.117, which is the latest one as far as I'm aware.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
It was fine this morning, but now Chrome is doing this on every page

What the gently caress is this and what do I do about it? "Chrome windows graphics glitch" isn't the most useful phrase to google.

TVGM
Mar 17, 2005

"It is not moral, it is not acceptable, and it is not sustainable that the top one-tenth of 1 percent now owns almost as much wealth as the bottom 90 percent"

Yam Slacker

Javid posted:

It was fine this morning, but now Chrome is doing this on every page

What the gently caress is this and what do I do about it? "Chrome windows graphics glitch" isn't the most useful phrase to google.

Tried Incognito mode to verify it's not an extension?

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

I'd guess GPU issues. Turn off Use hardware acceleration when available to see if that does anything

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Fellatio del Toro posted:

I'd guess GPU issues. Turn off Use hardware acceleration when available to see if that does anything

That did it. This gives me concerns regarding the "gpu" in this ancient laptop, but if it's dying zero other apps have been affected :iiam:

Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Looks like Chrome Edge has been released.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/edge

It's incredibly identical with some wording changed here and there (eg favorites instead of bookmarks). Seems to also have gained the tracking protection that Firefox has. Other than the padding between some ui elements, I like it so far.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I'll need an extension to change the search engine on the fly.
Bing for MS rewards, and Google for normal use.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

If you want an alternative browser based on Chromium, you should look into Vivaldi.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

I don't know if it's just me, but I've been having a problem with my bookmarks in Chrome. Normally when you add something to the bookmarks bar, it displays the logo and title/tagline of whatever you added. Lately, it just shows the full url. I can't figure out how to fix this, even after googling extensively. It's especially annoying if you have multiple bookmarks from the same site, since you can no longer tell them apart at a glance.

Anyone have a solution?

e: I'm running version 79.0.3945.117, which is the latest one as far as I'm aware.

No one? Is it just that I have too many bookmarks?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Maybe try creating a new Chrome profile and seeing if it happens there.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Let me just take a moment of your time to bitch about some Chrome bullshit. So I've used Chrome Remote Desktop for years, and originally it was an installable applet. Then they made a Web interface for it. Then they discontinued the applet. Now they've reintroduced the applet. And finally, now I want to :suicide:

What the gently caress, Google?!?

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
The reason is Google introducing and now abandoning the Chrome Web Apps Store, which is why Remote Desktop made this strange transition.

Does is work well with dual screen setups now? I remember this not being the case a few years ago.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Lambert posted:

The reason is Google introducing and now abandoning the Chrome Web Apps Store, which is why Remote Desktop made this strange transition.

Does is work well with dual screen setups now? I remember this not being the case a few years ago.

I use it with 3 screens occasionally. It's fine.

OpenSourceBurger
Sep 25, 2019
Is anyone else having major issues with Chrome? Its constantly freezing on both of my laptops.

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

Lambert posted:

I've had weird video issues with Chrome (and only Chrome, not Edge or Firefox) for a while: The browser will often "crash" (sites turn black for a second), after that, video sometimes doesn't play back correctly until I relaunch Chrome.

Recently having similar issues: repeated five-second black screen crashes that make it impossible to use Youtube and difficult to use facebook. Tried a factory reset and it's still happening.

EDIT: This stopped happening after a new update.

platzapS fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Mar 2, 2020

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
is there any way to make more granular choices for what gets synced when two computers use the same account? for instance i have an extension that's useful for touch browsing but not on desktop, or i like to hide the bookmarks bar on my laptop because of limited screen space, but would rather not on desktop. also i had less bookmarks on my laptop, again because of less space, now the bar overflows.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Feb 9, 2020

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Is there an extension that will clear cookies for a specific website each time I visit it? I'm trying to avoid clearing cookies manually when visiting NYT and other news sites.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

EngineerJoe posted:

Is there an extension that will clear cookies for a specific website each time I visit it? I'm trying to avoid clearing cookies manually when visiting NYT and other news sites.

I use cookie autodelete on FF and it has a chrome version. It can't clear local storage on chrome though, just cookies.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Is there an extension like scriptsafe but for cookies? I'd love to just hard blacklist domains that don't benefit me.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Dark mode for youtube is broken for me. I flick the switch in options and it works initially but turns off any time a page is loaded.

I can't think of anything I have changed.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

OpenSourceBurger posted:

Is anyone else having major issues with Chrome? Its constantly freezing on both of my laptops.
just started having freeze up and something went wrong splash pages. dunno wtf.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
So, for work we need to run Chrome with a web scraper. Recently one of the sites we're scraping have added a javascript check for if a webdriver is currenty running, and will lock us out if if finds one.

On Firefox, I can pass
pre:
dom.webdriver.enabled
into the profile and it works fine. Howerver, we'd much prefer to use Chrome. Any ideas on how to get an extension running that can change the
pre:
navigator.webdriver
value in the Javascript DOM, or if there's any other way to set it to change?

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Something about this latest update has monumentally hosed up the address bar/location bar/'omnibox'/whatever the gently caress for me. Whenever I jump up to it and start typing, the whole loving browser freezes up for a good second before catching up to what I'm typing. It's pretty well infuriating.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cabbit posted:

Something about this latest update has monumentally hosed up the address bar/location bar/'omnibox'/whatever the gently caress for me. Whenever I jump up to it and start typing, the whole loving browser freezes up for a good second before catching up to what I'm typing. It's pretty well infuriating.

Have you tried in incognito mode? It's probably an extension.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Have you tried in incognito mode? It's probably an extension.

I have; it still happens, even in incognito.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Cabbit posted:

I have; it still happens, even in incognito.

Next things to try are probably (a) changing your default search provider and (b) checking if the issue persists on a different network.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Have you made sure no extensions are running in incognito?

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I use magic actions for YouTube which has been buggy lately.
Get an error on page load and have to reload every video to get it to play.

I really only use magic actions for its ability to let me use my scroll wheel to adjust volume, though it has all kinds of extra crap I don't use.
Anyone know of a volume adjusting extension for YouTube that doesn't cause errors?
This is assuming that its Chrome/YT making adjustments again because they don't like extensions messing with YT.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Javid posted:

Have you made sure no extensions are running in incognito?

Yep.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Next things to try are probably (a) changing your default search provider and (b) checking if the issue persists on a different network.

Tried a, no luck. Not really sure how to go about trying b, because it's a desktop that's connected directly to a router without a wireless NIC and I'm not yet annoyed enough to go buy a wifi dongle just for one theory.

Edit: The only thing I've found that gets rid of the problem is logging Chrome into a guest account. I guess this means that Chrome's attempt to suggest one of my bookmarks when I'm typing something into the bar is causing the thing to chug, loving somehow.

Which is loving bewildering. Considering that this only became an issue when I updated Chrome, and haven't bookmarked something in like a month, I have to imagine they hosed something up in a very particular way that doesn't affect a lot of people.

Edit 2: I managed to narrow it down to one bookmark in particular, which did not seem terribly unusual, that I deleted. The problem has stopped and I'm more confused than ever.

Cabbit fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Mar 3, 2020

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib

Cabbit posted:

Edit 2: I managed to narrow it down to one bookmark in particular, which did not seem terribly unusual, that I deleted. The problem has stopped and I'm more confused than ever.

Okay, what the hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

Weird character in the URL or title?